PDA

View Full Version : Ubrik agrees to terms

Zachintosh66
06-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Steelers | Urbik signed
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 07:26:08 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced Monday, June 29, that they have signed third-round draft pick OG Kraig Urbik to a three-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Up next: Ziggy, Clark, Miller

STEELERS INK THIRD-ROUND PICK
Posted by Mike Florio on June 29, 2009, 11:38 a.m.
The Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed to terms with yet another 2009 draft pick.

And now they have only one left.

Most recently under contract is third-round offensive lineman Kraig Urbik.

It’s a three-year deal for the former Wisconsin Badger.

Unsigned is first-round pick Evander “Ziggy” Hood, a defensive lineman who is expected to play defensive end in the team’s 3-4 front.

Iron City South
06-30-2009, 01:24 PM
4 year starter @ Wisconsin .... and plays multiple positions

Gotta love 'em

K Train
06-30-2009, 01:36 PM
multiple positions as backup LG and backup RG and and probably a blocker for FGs

Zachintosh66
06-30-2009, 01:49 PM
multiple positions as backup LG and backup RG and and probably a blocker for FGs

Keep it up Train... weve seen your track record this offseason :lol:

K Train
06-30-2009, 01:55 PM
of what? bitching about the awful picks?

Troyisabeast_43
06-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Urbik and Shipley could both end up being potential starters on this team by 2010 I really believe...If anything else the O-line definitely is a lot younger this season and has a lot more depth then it did compared to last season. It doesnt really matter who plays o-line because everybody and their mother knows by now that Ben is going to take his fair share of sacks and also make the offensive line look better then it really is with his spectacular escapability and broken play ability...No reason to be complaining about Urbik at all yet especially when the guy has yet to even play one single game in a Steelers uniform. Let's wait and see how he performs before we automatically assume the guy is a total dud...

Iron City South
06-30-2009, 04:09 PM
of what? bitching about the awful picks?

Don't look now, but it looks like somebody got his vagina hurt because we didn't take Duke Robinson. :lol:

SteelCityKid5
06-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Good signing, got it out of the way. Ziggy is all that's left. I like this Urbik guy.

K Train
06-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Don't look now, but it looks like somebody got his vagina hurt because we didn't take Duke Robinson. :lol:

i hate duke robinson.

im pissed that all of our picks were epic reaches to fill needs and ignore taking the best player available.

urbik may start, but he will be terrible. shipley has zero chance of starting ever and will likely not make the team

Iron City South
06-30-2009, 06:21 PM
i hate duke robinson.

im pissed that all of our picks were epic reaches to fill needs and ignore taking the best player available.

urbik may start, but he will be terrible. shipley has zero chance of starting ever and will likely not make the team

Yes, it's a travesty to have to "fill a need" ... isn't it? :thinking:

So in your not-so-professional opinion, who should we have taken other than Urbik?

K Train
06-30-2009, 06:36 PM
its where everyone was taken that pisses me off....ziggy is too high, urbik is way to high...lewis, wallace, burnett all went about where they were projected but the steelers did not stay true to their draft board and if they did it was an awful one. the wanted to get younger on the dline and they reached for hood, they had alot of pressure to address the oline and they reached for urbik....if they moved up for oher it would have been different, thats value, if they moved down and got gilbert (who can actually play 34end) thats different but hood is the anti 34end

in the 3rd round i would have taken DJ moore (who was a first round prospect, bears got a steal) or sammie lee hill who in 3 years i think will be the best NT of this class.

david brutton from ND was also available, brandon tate who might have to start on the PUP but will be better than hakeem nicks. Michael johnson and jarron gilbert went like 10 picks ealier....those guys would be great first for us with tremendous value at those picks (both highly regarded as 1st/2nd rounders)

as for guards i would have prefered Herman johnson who is a mammoth and would upgrade the short yardage run game immediately, he could have been had in the 5th

SteelCityKid5
06-30-2009, 06:36 PM
KTrain, why do you have to grade everything the Steelers do. They've won 6 Super Bowls ... they know what they're doing. Why do you need to rush everything, let the players pan out first, then judge. You cannot judge or grade a draft class when they haven't played a game yet alone training camp. How do you know Urbik and AQ are going to be failures? I have student section tickets for PSU and saw AQ play. He's not bad for a 7th round pick.

DanRooney
06-30-2009, 08:29 PM
i hate duke robinson.

So you must have LOVED last years draft where we took the best player available in the first two rounds. Turned out to be such steals for us. You know, Fumblehall, who was projected to be a low teen pick, not being able to hold onto the ball then getting his shoulder shattered in his first game as a starter. Then there's Sweed, projected to go in the 20s in the first round not being able to beat out Baker for the 4th spot then not being able to catch when he's wide open with no one around him. Awesome picks :yellowthumb:

K Train
06-30-2009, 09:46 PM
So you must have LOVED last years draft where we took the best player available in the first two rounds. Turned out to be such steals for us. You know, Fumblehall, who was projected to be a low teen pick, not being able to hold onto the ball then getting his shoulder shattered in his first game as a starter. Then there's Sweed, projected to go in the 20s in the first round not being able to beat out Baker for the 4th spot then not being able to catch when he's wide open with no one around him. Awesome picks :yellowthumb:

funny cause i didnt "love" the picks, but they at least made sense....those 2 players will contribute this year, ziggy hood will be lucky to dress on gameday at all. you will see, mendenhall and sweed will improve and get better and around the same time were extending their contracts we will be letting hood go to free up cap space.

K Train
06-30-2009, 09:47 PM
KTrain, why do you have to grade everything the Steelers do. They've won 6 Super Bowls ... they know what they're doing. Why do you need to rush everything, let the players pan out first, then judge. You cannot judge or grade a draft class when they haven't played a game yet alone training camp. How do you know Urbik and AQ are going to be failures? I have student section tickets for PSU and saw AQ play. He's not bad for a 7th round pick.

if you took someone and made him look exactly like what a center shouldnt look like you would have AQ shipley. Shipley, harris, johnson, and hopefully summers wont be kept on the final roster.

SteelCityKid5
06-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah if you based everyone on what they looked like, I'm sure a bunch of players wouldnt be in the NFL. I'm sure you flipped out when the Steelers took Timmons but youll deny it cause hes good. Why cant you give these players a chance. Summers could be a good shortage back. If you look on websites and look for a guy who sits on forums and bitches about the teams moves cause hes smarter, youre that guy. I'f you knew so much about these players and the NFL, you'd be a GM by now but, you're not. You reticule a front office that has done a great job historically through the draft but, no no you know whats right for the team.

K Train
06-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Yeah if you based everyone on what they looked like, I'm sure a bunch of players wouldnt be in the NFL. I'm sure you flipped out when the Steelers took Timmons but youll deny it cause hes good. Why cant you give these players a chance. Summers could be a good shortage back. If you look on websites and look for a guy who sits on forums and bitches about the teams moves cause hes smarter, youre that guy. I'f you knew so much about these players and the NFL, you'd be a GM by now but, you're not. You reticule a front office that has done a great job historically through the draft but, no no you know whats right for the team.

are you daring me to go back to the 07 draft threads and show how much i liked timmons? i liked him more so than patrick willis because willis provides no pass rush and sucks in coverage and at the time we were looking for a pass rush and a LB to cover.....timmons and woodley were amazing picks

summers is awful, would have easily gone undrafted. hes like najeh davenport, only hes not as talented...making him carey davis.

i spend alot of time watching and learning about these players and obviously develop opinions about them that i feel strongly about but these opinions are made before they are even steelers.

Zachintosh66
06-30-2009, 10:33 PM
i dont even hear this guy anymore... kinda like the ole peanuts cartoons... blah blah blahhhh blah blah blah

This is why your typing on a internet message board and they make the moves... im not saying im right or could do better... im just saying ill take there word for it b/c we are constantly in the upper half of the league and we have more titles than anyone else... therefore someone has to be doing something right...

instead of moaning all the time (before they have even started contact, no less) and be a little supportive of the young guys. the best 53 will make the roster and theres nothing any of us on this internet message board can do to change any of that or who they draft

I bleed black and gold no matter what 16-0, or 0-16 thats the way i roll this **** is in my DNA!

K Train
06-30-2009, 10:35 PM
im entitled to choose who to like and who not to like...like you said what i think wont effect what they do but im pretty confident in my predictions. im just not a blind homer and love them no matter what. this draft class will end up being one of the worst weve ever had :markit:

Zachintosh66
06-30-2009, 10:41 PM
:whatever:

SteelCityKid5
06-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I'm not a homer either, I just hate the people who think they know everything about sports and they sit on forums and say who or what their team should have done. I thought you did that, I called you out on it and you say you watch these players. I was just annoyed by you talking about players who havent even played a snap of pro football yet, it's just not fair.

K Train
06-30-2009, 10:57 PM
it might not be fair but guys like hood might have dominated in college but his skill set does not translate to a 34 at all....hes a major project, and so was keisel, its just 250 picks and alot of millions seperate the 2. urbik just sucks, hes always looked slow, dumb and heavy footed....hes gonna have an uphill battle to do anything. he doesnt finish blocks good and gets caught out of position. if we wanted a big run blocking guard with bad footwork we could have taken herman johnson in the 5th or several other guys....i just cant believe they took urbik so high.

sure he has good character, thats fine and good but when he cant contribute what does that mean? ICS loves him cause hes a "farm boy" which hes not at all but whatever he wants to think to legitimize the pick is fine

alot of you guys have never seen these guys play and i have seen them play for years, i love the draft and follow it closely. hood was a standout on a **** defensive line and urbik was never a standout at all. you guys who know next to nothing about them and their college careers besides recent articles can discredit my opinion all you want just because i dont blindly love them for the jersey they way

SteelCityKid5
06-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Im not for every move the Steelers make either. Some guys can transition into the pros and some cant. Im just waiting to reticule them after they play. You say you watch these guys and thats fine. I like people who can call out the Steelers if there wrong. I just hope you own up to it IF any of these guys pan out.

What are you feelings on Wallace and K.Lew ... I think they can be a great fit for the Steelers. What insight do you have on them? Were they good picks or no? (all serious questions)

Black@Gold Forever32
06-30-2009, 11:11 PM
i dont even hear this guy anymore... kinda like the ole peanuts cartoons... blah blah blahhhh blah blah blah

This is why your typing on a internet message board and they make the moves... im not saying im right or could do better... im just saying ill take there word for it b/c we are constantly in the upper half of the league and we have more titles than anyone else... therefore someone has to be doing something right...

instead of moaning all the time (before they have even started contact, no less) and be a little supportive of the young guys. the best 53 will make the roster and theres nothing any of us on this internet message board can do to change any of that or who they draft

I bleed black and gold no matter what 16-0, or 0-16 thats the way i roll this **** is in my DNA!

So I guess you're saying we should all agree and not have our opinions....lol Last time I checked that is what a message board/forum is for....lol

So according to you if some fan doesn't like the Steelers draft then they don't bleed Black and Gold.....:lol:

This board was much better before douche bags like this joined......

Silverback
07-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Sorry to get in the middle of this little soap developing here, but does anyone know the terms at all?

K Train
07-01-2009, 03:33 AM
Im not for every move the Steelers make either. Some guys can transition into the pros and some cant. Im just waiting to reticule them after they play. You say you watch these guys and thats fine. I like people who can call out the Steelers if there wrong. I just hope you own up to it IF any of these guys pan out.

What are you feelings on Wallace and K.Lew ... I think they can be a great fit for the Steelers. What insight do you have on them? Were they good picks or no? (all serious questions)

well wallace definitely wasnt the ole miss player i wanted but he fills a hole left by nate washington with basically the same player...straight line speed, not really good natural hands but very very fast and relatively productive...his KR needs to be up to par though and not like willie reid. wallace is thin but when you fill a nate washington vois with a slightly more polished version of nate washington you cant really complain...however i much rather would have prefered mike thomas who is short but extremely fast and very strong, strong enough to play outside full time or dillard who catches everything thrown his way (both of whom are jags now)

lewis is almost exactly like malcolm jenkins....heres a quick comparison....stats, measurables...everything identical

Malcolm Jenkins- pick 14 - 6'1 200 - 4.5 40YD - 33" VJ - 10'4" BJ - 31.5 arm
3 year starter in Big 10, 7 INT's in final 2 seasons
vs.
Keenan Lewis - pick 96 - 6'1 200 - 4.5 40YD - 38.5 VJ - 10'10" BJ - 33.25 arm
4 year starter in PAC 10, 7 INT's in final 2 seasons

Two very smart, productive, and seasoned corners from big schools, both have average speed and may be tried at FS at some point in their careers. Athletically these two match up almost identically, and their college production was very similar. The Steelers landed Lewis at pick 96 while Jenkins went at pick 14

love it, hes big like ike, not as fast but i think he will be our FS in the upcoming few years ( i think jenkins makes the move to FS at some point too)

DanRooney
07-01-2009, 05:36 AM
well wallace definitely wasnt the ole miss player i wanted but he fills a hole left by nate washington with basically the same player...straight line speed, not really good natural hands but very very fast and relatively productive...his KR needs to be up to par though and not like willie reid. wallace is thin but when you fill a nate washington vois with a slightly more polished version of nate washington you cant really complain...however i much rather would have prefered mike thomas who is short but extremely fast and very strong, strong enough to play outside full time or dillard who catches everything thrown his way (both of whom are jags now)

lewis is almost exactly like malcolm jenkins....heres a quick comparison....stats, measurables...everything identical

love it, hes big like ike, not as fast but i think he will be our FS in the upcoming few years ( i think jenkins makes the move to FS at some point too)

Based on your last two posts, the draft wasn't the worst draft ever. If you think Lewis, a 3rd round pick, is as good as a first round corner Malcolm Jenkins, that fills Bryant's loss even though we have W. Gay starting. Then you say Wallace replaces NateNate with the exact same player, only better because he returns kicks. That leaves Ziggy and Urbik as two guys to play with. :yellowthumb:

Keep in mind, I was not happy when Ziggy was selected if you go back and check the rants, but I warmed up to him as a pick. I agree that we'll be lucky to see him in any of the first 5 games and only on passing situations unless he looks absolutely amazing in the preseason. My guess is he'll be used exactly like Timmons in his first year.

Zachintosh66
07-01-2009, 10:14 AM
everyone has their own opinion but i just wonder how people can call this "such a bad draft" before anyone has suited up yet...

So according to you if some fan doesn't like the Steelers draft then they don't bleed Black and Gold...

thats not what i meant at all... just saying it the FO job and givin their track record, i trust them... if that makes me a "homer" so-be-it

I personally dont like every move they make either... whatever... this has gotten outta hand... my bad, K if i threw you under the bus

SteelCityKid5
07-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey does anyone know how to post a new topic, like on the front page? For example, I found out Urbik was signed and checked on here and it wasnt up yet and I wanted to break the news but I dont know how to post something. Can I post a topic yet or do I need so many posts or responses to other posts before I can post something? Can anyone help me out?

LatrobePA
07-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Can we let the guys get on the f'n field B4 we start declaring them losers? Who knows maybe maybe not, they all have a chance!

K Train
07-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Based on your last two posts, the draft wasn't the worst draft ever. If you think Lewis, a 3rd round pick, is as good as a first round corner Malcolm Jenkins, that fills Bryant's loss even though we have W. Gay starting. Then you say Wallace replaces NateNate with the exact same player, only better because he returns kicks. That leaves Ziggy and Urbik as two guys to play with. :yellowthumb:

Keep in mind, I was not happy when Ziggy was selected if you go back and check the rants, but I warmed up to him as a pick. I agree that we'll be lucky to see him in any of the first 5 games and only on passing situations unless he looks absolutely amazing in the preseason. My guess is he'll be used exactly like Timmons in his first year.
im saying those 2 picks provide decent value, burnett had value at his slot too but hood, urbik, shipley, harris, summers were all reaches....lewis might not be as good as jenkins but the numbers are there, they both might suck but jenkins going to the saints at 14 and us getting a basic clone of him in the 3rd isnt too bad and it fills a need cause i dont know how much longer clark (or carter) are gonna be around

DanRooney
07-01-2009, 02:38 PM
im saying those 2 picks provide decent value, burnett had value at his slot too but hood, urbik, shipley, harris, summers were all reaches....lewis might not be as good as jenkins but the numbers are there, they both might suck but jenkins going to the saints at 14 and us getting a basic clone of him in the 3rd isnt too bad and it fills a need cause i dont know how much longer clark (or carter) are gonna be around

Shipley was a reach? Come on dude, a 7th rounder. A lot of boards had him projected being drafted in the 4th round. Ziggy wasn't really a reach. Experts had him going as high as 26/27 to the Ravens or Colts or as low as early, early 2nd round.

K Train
07-01-2009, 03:19 PM
i cant believe we even considered shipley in the first place, he doesnt fit the scheme that we run....he need a center to handle ngata and rogers and wilfork hes a little guy and he might be a scrappy player but he will get no push in our run game and he wont be able to sustain blocks for our passing game (not that we have anyone thats great at it) but he will be the worst because of how ben plays. he has t-rex arms and just shouldnt be playing center, maybe a undertackle or drop a few pounds and play linebacker but the oline is no place for him in the pros.

hood was a reach for us, he would have been a GREAT pick for the colts (damn them for drafting a backup RB) or the falcons, or bucs...but for a 34 hes a reach and a project...at pick 64 he would have had the value for us, but not 32...there were better players on the board. i really would have liked them to take gilbert at 64....taking 2 dline like they took 2 LBs 2 years ago i think would have worked out nicely and i would have been so disappointed in the hood pick

Troyisabeast_43
07-01-2009, 04:24 PM
--- Added 7/1/2009 at 03:24 PM ---

im entitled to choose who to like and who not to like...like you said what i think wont effect what they do but im pretty confident in my predictions. im just not a blind homer and love them no matter what. this draft class will end up being one of the worst weve ever had :markit:

It very well might be K Train but whether it is or it isnt the Steelers are still going to be playing the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship Game for the right to go back to the Super Bowl mark it down..

DanRooney
07-05-2009, 09:40 AM
No matter what this year's draft class does, it won't be as bad as

Mendenhall: shatters his shoulder in first game starting. also having ball security issues
Sweed: dropping 2 easy touchdowns in the playoffs with no one around him. faking an injury.
Davis: yet to record a tackle. not impressing the coaching staff
Hills: can't see any playing time even with injuries all over the OL
Dixon: can't beat out a QB who is old and hasn't looked good since 2006 for the #2 spot
Humpal: injured the entire season, cut, picked up, cut again
Mundy: injured before the season starts