PDA

View Full Version : Arians says only 19 sacks were the o-line's fault

DanRooney
06-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Most Steeler fans at some point or another in the 2008 season wanted offensive coordinator Bruce Arians’ head on a platter for something. Bad play calling, lack of imagination in the offense, not staying committed to the run - you name it.

Arians though may have to come under some more fire for a recent report on NFL Fanhouse, in which he stated that out of the club’s 46 sacks last season, the O-line was only to blame for 19 of them. So does that leave Ben Roethlisberger to blame for 27 of them? Not really according to Arians. Here’s the report:

When asked about the Steelers’ pass protection problems by a reporter for the Cumberland County Sentinel, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians seemed to indicate that he blamed the wide receivers and Ben Roethlisberger as much as he did the linemen. “They only gave up 19 sacks last year of the 46,” the offensive coordinator said.

“Running backs, tight ends, receivers and quarterbacks gave up most of the rest. Those guys, every time there’s a sack it has to be the offensive linemen but a lot of times it was a receiver missing the hot read, the quarterback getting himself sacked a few times, because he likes to run around. We’re not going to change that.” The biggest problem for the Steelers’ offensive line last year wasn’t pass protection (although that was a problem), it was the inability to create holes in the running game–Pittsburgh ranked 29th in the league in yards per carry.

Arians has the game films in front of him to show how many sacks the O-line gave up, but truth be told I’d be surprised if it was only 19. The O-line had some pretty bad games last season, and to a man they would admit that they had some pretty down moments.

It remains to be seen if Arians tweaks this number at all, but maybe the bigger key is if the O-line, and the rest of protection for Ben gets better in 2009.

http://steelersmill.com/2009/06/21/aria ... t-in-2008/

igor0190
06-22-2009, 10:43 AM
So is Arians basically saying the rest of the sacks were actually his own fault?

Captcoolhand
06-22-2009, 11:05 AM
So is Arians basically saying the rest of the sacks were actually his own fault?
Na, I think he was saying all our rookies (Miller, Holmes, Ward) don't know how to read Hot Routes....:duh:

CURTAIN OF STEEL
06-22-2009, 11:25 AM
They need to pick up Sam Young from ND for the OL in the 2010 draft. He would be a great asset to the line

BlitzburghRockCity
06-22-2009, 02:25 PM
The OL did have a lot of bad games last year that's a fact, but while you can contribute some of the sacks to Ben just being Ben I would dare say the OL gave up more than just 19. Ben is always going to get sacked more than other QB's because of his style of play, that's just how it is. I would venture a guess though that Hines, Santonio, and Heath didn't have all THAT many bad hot routes that caused Ben to not hit them.

yinzer
06-22-2009, 05:07 PM
bull****