PDA

View Full Version : What does being a Steelers fan mean to you?

Iron City South
06-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Ok, in the height of boredom during what always seems to be the longest stretch of the year (end of hockey until the start of camp), I'm going to ask a very deep, and in some cases, personal question of every Steelers fan out there regardless if you're living in Pittsburgh, or originally from there and now live outside of PA:

What does being a Steelers fan mean to you?

Being born a Steelers fan just outside of Pittsburgh, its in my DNA. Those of us who were born into it don't give it much thought because its inherent in everything we do; its actually part of our existance in life.... at least for me it is. The blood runs deep as I am a product of the 60's industrial era in Pittsburgh whereas I got to enjoy the franchise successes of the 70's during my childhood. These were the days that hard working western PA coal miners and mill hunks from American Bridge, Armco, Weirton Steel, Sharon Steel, and J & L Steel made their weekend pilgramage to Pittsburgh for the game on Sunday's. These are the folks that pioneered what we've come to know as "Tailgating" today.

:cope:

By the end of the 70's ... these were tough times. People were losing their jobs and homes in record numbers. Families were being torn apart. In the midst of this collapse and what felt like the world crumbling in around us, the success of the 70's Super Bowl victories was an accomplishment that nobody could take away from us .... EVER!

We excelled in the game of football. We were dominant and we were intimidating. There's no question in my mind that the success we enjoyed in the 70's is what kept many people's minds straight and dignity and pride in tact. IMO ... "Steeler Pride" is what allowed people who were going through a lot, the strength to dust themselves off and go rebuild in other areas of the country.

I can go on and on, but this is how deep rooted being part of Steelers Nation means to me. It goes far deeper than the sport of football itself, it's part of who we are as people. :tt02:

How about you?

:6smile:

SteelCityKid5
06-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Being a Steelers fan to me means a lot. Growing up as a youngster, my entire family were Steelers fans and I knew little about football. I remember when I was five, my family had a Super Bowl party and I was lost as to what was going on. I'm proud to say that I only "saw" the Steelers lose their only Super Bowl when I was real young. I didnt have much sympathy towards the Steelers back then as I do now. I grew up rooting for John Elway and the Broncos but, that was stopped when I watched a Steelers regular season game. I fell in love with the black and gold colors and the Terrible Towel. The first real season I watched was in 2001. I remember being nervous as ever when the Steelers played the Ravens in the playoffs. I lost my mind when it was noted that a doctor missed the nerve in Jerome Bettis' thigh, making him ineligible for the game, thank God for Amos Zereoue. Ever since then I've become emotionally attached to the Steelers. I find a certain cohesiveness with the Steeler Nation. When every season comes to an end, I count down the days to the draft. I scramble websites to see when training camp starts (signifying that the Pirates season has unofficially ended) and when the first practice is open to the public. I am fortunate enough to live a little over an hour away from Latrobe, PA. Training camp is unmatched to anything else I do in the summer, even compared to my family vacations. Training camp to me means driving up with my buddies passing local restaurants with the words "Here We Go Steelers". It means dying in the summers heat, sweating in my black Steelers jersey. It means walking the hills of St. Vincent College to find a cozy spot to put my lawn chair while skimming over the yellow colored roster sheet. I'm always looking for the no name players, knowing in the back of my mind they will be cut in a weeks notice. It means sticking around after that final bull horn sounds to watch some of the fat lineman run extra sprints and the wide outs catch extra balls while in the distance hearing the roars from the packed crowd pleading for their favorite Steeler scribble errr autograph. I feel as if I never left my home in Johnstown. The people are nice, anytime one of your friends can't answer your question about the team, you know that you can turn to the old savvy fan behind you for the answer. All in all, being a Steeler fan means the world to me, from draft day to the opening kickoff you are a die hard fan. You eat, breath and sleep Steeler football for your entertainment and for the people who have cheered before you. Steelers football is bigger than life. We don't show up to cheer on our team as they make a late playoff push. We're there through the thick and thin and the highs and lows that come with the Steelers. We were there when Kent Graham was under center. We were there when Dwayne Washington and Chad Scott were the"anchors" of the Steelers secondary. We remember where we were and what we were doing in the summer of 2006 when Ben Roethlisberger crashed his motorcycle without wearing a helmet. We're a special breed of people and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Troyisabeast_43
06-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Being a Steelers fan means everything to me. When the season starts I eat,sleep,and breathe football 24/7 for the most part. I am glued to the NFL Channel constantly during the season and when the Steelers win their game on Sunday I am in a great mood all week, when they lost I am absolutely miserable all week but always try to put a positive spin on things and try to look forward to the game next Sunday or Monday. If I dont go to the game at Heinz Field I am always out somewhere usually Sports Rock in the Strip watching the game. I have a gameroom decorated with all kinds of pennants and posters from last years Super Bowl and the 5th one in 2005, and so much merchandice that I wear with pride such as hats and shirts. I was in Milwaukee a few months ago and wore my Steelers tough in Packers territory and got a ton of dirty looks and I loved it. So all in all being a Steelers fan and living and dying with every single play on Sunday's in the fall is something I look forward too constantly and I cannot wait until we get to do it again here in about 2 1/2 months. GO STEELERS TIME TO BRING HOME NUMBER 7 FELLAS!!!

Stlrs4Life
06-21-2009, 12:06 AM
You answered it for me in your first paragraph:

Being born a Steelers fan just outside of Pittsburgh, its in my DNA. Those of us who were born into it don't give it much thought because its inherent in everything we do; its actually part of our existance in life.... at least for me it is. The blood runs deep as I am a product of the 60's industrial era in Pittsburgh whereas I got to enjoy the franchise successes of the 70's during my childhood. These were the days that hard working western PA coal miners and mill hunks from American Bridge, Armco, Weirton Steel, Sharon Steel, and J & L Steel made their weekend pilgramage to Pittsburgh for the game on Sunday's. These are the folks that pioneered what we've come to know as "Tailgating" today. Only, my father worked at Youngstown Sheet & Tube in Youngstown, Ohio.

dawgs
06-21-2009, 01:33 PM
This would be better to ask when your team's not doing so good. Thats when the true fans come out. Its easy to root for a team that wins a superbowl.

--- Added 6/21/2009 at 12:33 PM ---

I grew up rooting for John Elway and the Broncos.

wow. true steelers fan right there lol.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-21-2009, 02:14 PM
I was born and live in Indiana....But both of my parents were born Monessen, PA.....They moved to Indiana due to the loss of jobs in the Pittsburgh area in the 70s.....My dad actually worked in the steel mills out here in Indiana.....So both my parents installed that Pittsburgh pride in me and passed on their love of the Steelers, Pirates, and Pens down to me and I will carry on that tradition when I have children.....The Stillers Nation to me is just big happy family.....Anytime I see anybody with Steelers gear on I stop and say hey......There is nothing like being part of this fan base......My mom, brother, and I always get to together on Sundays to watch the Steelers......My dad moved back to PA in 1997 and lives Sommerset, PA.....I don't get to see many games with him but we always talk Steelers on the phone during the season/off-season.......To sum it up I probably couldn't love a new born baby more then the Pittsburgh Steelers......lol

Scorp
06-21-2009, 02:53 PM
I was born in the spirit of 1976. Did not become a Steelers fan till 84 or 85. Gotta find that picture. It was due to my Dad and my Uncle who both grew up as Steelers fans. The sad thing is we live out in California. The state where all the teams in my eyes suck and lick balls. I'm proud to be a hardcore, true, loyal, diehard Steelers fan. Inside and out, top to bottom. I get to trash talk all the teams that suck, even in defeat. Win, lose or tie, i'll be part of SteelerNation till i die. There is no team like the black and gold. To bleed, to live, to fight, to breathe, to cheer, root, with the rest of my fellow fans across the world, and of course to wave my Terrible Towel with great pride is one of the best things that was ever brought in to my life. Being a Steelers fan means everything to me. And no matter what it means to you, it means to me as well cause we are all part of this great nation called SteelerNation and more, because we are SteelerAddicts. The greatest fans in all of sports for the greatest team in all of sports. Win, lose, or tie.
GO STEELERRRRRSSSS!!!!!!!!!:steelersflag5: :6smile: :bigtowel:

TO ALL WHO GETS IN OUR WAY. :postal:

TampaSteelGirl
06-21-2009, 02:53 PM
This would be better to ask when your team's not doing so good. Thats when the true fans come out. Its easy to root for a team that wins a superbowl.

Dawgs..NO OFFENSE BUT....WHY ARE YOU IN THIS THREAD??? YOU'RE NOT A STEELERS FAN SO STOP RUINING IT!! I love the Steelers win or lose....difference between Steelers fans and other teams fans!!! Simple enough...:OA02:

Scorp
06-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Dawgs..NO OFFENSE BUT....WHY ARE YOU IN THIS THREAD??? YOU'RE NOT A STEELERS FAN SO STOP RUINING IT!! I love the Steelers win or lose....difference between Steelers fans and other teams fans!!! Simple enough...:OA02:

No fan from any other team can ruin this. Go win some titles clownies. :cope:

TampaSteelGirl
06-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Being a fan to me means pride, tradition and family. When I lived in central PA and my family would gather for sunday dinner, holidays or anything else the one thing we could count on besides great food was Steelers football. I was lucky to live in Pittsburgh while attending ICM School of Business in 1986 and I wish I would have stayed. The city of Pittsburgh has the hardest working people there, I LOVE tradition where people aren't afraid to be different, sound different or be what I call simple and what I mean by that is that people are just naturally happy, don't need all this fancy high tech crap to make them happy.....Being a fan to me means knowing that ANYWHERE I've traveled to or will travel too I will always find family. Family that will welcome you in for a beer, football or just conversation. I'm proud to be a fan of the Steelers for so many reasons. Family, food, football....what more could you possibly need?? Even not living in Pittsburgh now I PROUDLY wear my Black and Gold everywhere!! Even in Tampa I always find fans...always!

God bless the Black and Gold family...the proudest of all!! :bigtowel:

:goodpost:

--- Added 6/21/2009 at 03:15 PM ---

I was born and live in Indiana....But both of my parents were born Monessen, PA.....They moved to Indiana due to the loss of jobs in the Pittsburgh area in the 70s.....My dad actually worked in the steel mills out here in Indiana.....So both my parents installed that Pittsburgh pride in me and passed on their love of the Steelers, Pirates, and Pens down to me and I will carry on that tradition when I have children.....The Stillers Nation to me is just big happy family.....Anytime I see anybody with Steelers gear on I stop and say hey......There is nothing like being part of this fan base......My mom, brother, and I always get to together on Sundays to watch the Steelers......My dad moved back to PA in 1997 and lives Sommerset, PA.....I don't get to see many games with him but we always talk Steelers on the phone during the season/off-season.......To sum it up I probably couldn't love a new born baby more then the Pittsburgh Steelers......lol

NO offense I love my Steelers however....the love of a child would definately make you love them more.....I gave up a gorgeous Steelers room to make a nursery! How bout that???? :yellowthumb:

dawgs
06-21-2009, 05:00 PM

is what? you didn't say.

TampaSteelGirl
06-21-2009, 05:46 PM
is what? you didn't say.

Learn to read.....the difference between us being fans and other teams....we love them win or lose. Do you mind hittin up a thread you know something about????

Black@Gold Forever32
06-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Being a fan to me means pride, tradition and family. When I lived in central PA and my family would gather for sunday dinner, holidays or anything else the one thing we could count on besides great food was Steelers football. I was lucky to live in Pittsburgh while attending ICM School of Business in 1986 and I wish I would have stayed. The city of Pittsburgh has the hardest working people there, I LOVE tradition where people aren't afraid to be different, sound different or be what I call simple and what I mean by that is that people are just naturally happy, don't need all this fancy high tech crap to make them happy.....Being a fan to me means knowing that ANYWHERE I've traveled to or will travel too I will always find family. Family that will welcome you in for a beer, football or just conversation. I'm proud to be a fan of the Steelers for so many reasons. Family, food, football....what more could you possibly need?? Even not living in Pittsburgh now I PROUDLY wear my Black and Gold everywhere!! Even in Tampa I always find fans...always!

God bless the Black and Gold family...the proudest of all!! :bigtowel:

:goodpost:

--- Added 6/21/2009 at 03:15 PM ---

NO offense I love my Steelers however....the love of a child would definately make you love them more.....I gave up a gorgeous Steelers room to make a nursery! How bout that???? :yellowthumb:

No offense taken at all.....That is cool that you did that and that works for you......But I stand by my statement.........lol I'm just being honest and that is how I feel.....It may be sick and twisted but I'm not perfect.....:lol:

TampaSteelGirl
06-21-2009, 07:53 PM
No offense taken at all.....That is cool that you did that and that works for you......But I stand by my statement.........lol I'm just being honest and that is how I feel.....It may be sick and twisted but I'm not perfect.....:lol:

You're not sick or twisted but I actually had a friend that HATED kids (not that you do but it's part of my story) and she didn't even like her nephews. She ended up having 2 kids and she is now one of the best moms I know and she even has a special need child, she's a completely different person. I guess I was just saying that kids change you, you have no idea the emotions you'll have once you have your own child. I"d love to be there Dan when you see your baby born and I can prove you wrong! :greengrin: YOu'll be a great dad!! :yellowthumb: One of the most awesome things about having kids is dressing them in Steelers stuff as much as possible!! I wanted a Steelers nursery for my son but I really had to compromise, afterall I did everything for my daughter, needed to be fair so he does have a sports room with a spash of Steelers in there!!

SteelCityKid5
06-21-2009, 08:42 PM
I was 8 years old? I didn't care about football when I was 8... I just watched whoever was good. I want to say I'm sorry. I'm sorry you cheer for the Browns who haven't beat us in what 6 years? Yeah, you can suck on that and go home and sit on your thumb and root for the mistake they call Cleveland.

Sir Blitzelot
06-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Checking their website every day, waiting out the Spring and Summer months just for football to start, and living and dying with every win and loss. Being a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers has had a tremendous impact on my life. I have been a fan for over fifteen years, and with every passing season, my love for the Steelers only seems to grow stronger. Besides family and friends, the Steelers are of most importance in my life. Whether if it's a Steelers hat, t-shirt, or jersey, I wear it with a sense of pride and honor. I am proud to say that I am a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers. :tt02:

Lunchbucket
06-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Thank you Iron City South for starting this intresting post.I am truely enjoying the comments here,the whole gambit of emotions.Even dawgs comments have merit(they keep us honest).Started watching Steeler football inthe 60's Bill Austin was the coach, the team was not so hot,infact, the door mat of the NFL ( yes I am an old timer).Went to watch the Steelers play at Pitt Stadium with a new head coach and a crazy rookie that hated to lose,my friends and I would bet beers on what quarter he would be thrown out of the game.So we were worse than the Brownies of today. but we loved them like family,then came the great teams of the 70's we are very lucky to be spoiled by this team,and the teams that were at least a contender that followed.Great respect to current coach Mike Tomlin. Black n gold through n through!!

Woodson_DownUnder
06-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Coming from a totally foreign background.. I didn't even realise the Steelers had VL trophies in the cabinet since following them from afar. (1989). In the early 80's the only NFL we got in Australia, would have access to was watching the Raiders, Cowboys, Niners and a little bit of a half a dozen others.

I was intrigued by American Football back then but it wasn't until the 1989 play-offs I took full stock of what team was for me.. the Steelers! Knowing that during the season, the Steelers weren't front-runners suited me fine. I enjoyed watching the Niners but RED wasn't my colour. (funnily enough, I'm also a Sammy Hagar fan)

The team I have follow in Aussie Rules Football (North Melbourne) wear blue & white but the striking similarities are that both clubs suffered long periods of losing seasons throughout the ages until the 70's !! Underachieved for much of the 80's.. and become a force in the 90's.. colors are totally subjective to me btw. Having a blue collar ethic, both clubs are not re-known strong market locations and have that 'down to earth character' about their people... so from 1990 season, it all made sense.. have followed the Steelers quite closely, buying USA today to keep up with scores / details, football digest!! this is all long before computers were a commodity.. and to think I would become an 'official' of the amateur American Football league for seven years to prove my love for the game growing in leaps and bounds in the 90's.

The crushing blow of play-off failures under Cowher were Eating Me UP! :evilshake: Still I stuck thick & thin. Talk up the sport at every chance and moreso, educate the folk about the Steelers. The look & nasty acid tongue of distain I give the numbnuts who DARE to speak ROT of the Steelers or the NFL in that matter just FIRES ME UP even more! I'm like Joey Porter.. not afraid to stand up with hard hitting (facts) and drive the point home. I'm proud to say I'm projecting the STEELERS NATION in a positive way that means 'I'm clearly animated & fanatical' when the Steelers score and winning. ok.. I've lost some friends/ ppl along the way.. but HECK, that's because they can't handle my aggressive intensity of rubbing it in!! :cope::tt02::rant2: :banana:

steeler875
06-22-2009, 09:22 AM
I was born in kansas,my mom,dad,and brother are Dallas fan' But me you can definatly say im the black and gold sheep of the family.Always have been and i always will through thick and thin.Its hard to put down in words how i feel about the steelers,but if your a steeler fan u know how i feel.The team just gets into your soul,and someone said that its not only the team its the city.Ive never been to pittsburgh,but when your a steelers fan your all just one big family....GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tt02::tt02::tt02:

yinzer
06-22-2009, 05:11 PM
why is everybody picking on DAWGS? where do you guys think our crap floats when we flush the toilet?? cleveland! i'd be a little upset too.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-22-2009, 06:18 PM
You're not sick or twisted but I actually had a friend that HATED kids (not that you do but it's part of my story) and she didn't even like her nephews. She ended up having 2 kids and she is now one of the best moms I know and she even has a special need child, she's a completely different person. I guess I was just saying that kids change you, you have no idea the emotions you'll have once you have your own child. I"d love to be there Dan when you see your baby born and I can prove you wrong! :greengrin: YOu'll be a great dad!! :yellowthumb: One of the most awesome things about having kids is dressing them in Steelers stuff as much as possible!! I wanted a Steelers nursery for my son but I really had to compromise, afterall I did everything for my daughter, needed to be fair so he does have a sports room with a spash of Steelers in there!!

I don't hate kids....I actually love kids.....I think they're great and cool.....I guess since I never have been a parent then I really have no idea how to feel when you have child of your own.....So guess maybe the birth of my child would pass the Steelers...lol

BlitzburghNation
06-22-2009, 09:45 PM
why is everybody picking on DAWGS? where do you guys think our crap floats when we flush the toilet?? cleveland! i'd be a little upset too.

:haha:
Always said,,,,,,if it's BROWN flush it down !!!!!!

MOTORKRAFT
06-22-2009, 10:45 PM
I was born in Ky. Still live there. No one influenced my decision to be a Steeler fan, I did that on my own. Maybe they were the first team I ever saw on T.V. (I think thats the answer, can't guarantee that.) Or maybe I liked the fact that their emblem was only on one side of their helmet, like they couldn't afford to put it on the otherside. They were poor like me. I really don't know. All these years later the Steelers have won 6 Superbowls and I can afford to eat in any restaurant that I choose. Life has been good to me so far. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzxF-M2erx8 <--- Not that good, but I can't complain.:cope:

ejsteeler
06-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Being a Steelers Fan means to me still getting chills everytime they talk about the tenacity of Steeler Nation and show ANY video about it. It means still coming out of the Fort Pitt tunnel and seeing dahntahn and feeling home again. It means wearing my black and gold with pride, always, even through the 80's. Having the same attitude and passion then, but having it noticed more in '05 and '08 by the people who reallly don't know me. It means watching the old clips with a knowing smile on my face remembering the screams, yells, hugs and high fives. It means bringing the family together like not much else can. Having a piece of who you are so ingrained and so in tune with others of the same ilk. Being a Steelers fan means bitching about a bad play just made, and forgiving them utterly when they save the game on the next play or even next week. It means I am part of something good and strong no matter how distant or spread out. And most of all, it means praying to God that the fu@&ing Titans eat some Heinz Field turf on opening weekend to make them pay for their unforgivable acts against The Terrible Towel
:rant2: :cope: :imho:

--- Added 6/23/2009 at 07:10 PM ---

you truly are an idiot. read the answers. there is moreto winning games. it's about winning spirit. something your classless, winless team knows nothing about.

DanRooney
06-23-2009, 08:42 PM
is what? you didn't say.

Didn't you get embarrassed (again) last season? Why are you still here? You can take your "better linebackers, better DL, and better safeties" (yeah I remember that thread :clap:) and go to the Browns board...that is if they haven't all disbanded :lol: