PDA

View Full Version : Post Gazeete: Porter will appeal fine

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2006, 12:17 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06313/736909-66.stm

Thursday, November 09, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Joey Porter accused the NFL of picking on him after it levied a $15,000 fine on the Pro Bowl linebacker for words he said he never spoke.

"I didn't even make the comment," Porter said. "It's really the ref's word against mine, which is not a good situation."

The alleged comments were made Oct. 29 in Oakland while the Steelers were in the huddle. Umpire Steve Wilson threw a flag after he heard something in the huddle, and obviously fingered Porter as the culprit.

"What I was told in the letter, it said somebody said they were coming after him," Porter said. "That's not even what was said. When I was talking I was talking to my players."

Porter said he is appealing the fine, and compared it to a smaller one he received in 2004 when he was ejected before a game against Cleveland for fighting during warmups.

"I'm going to see how the appeal goes because they definitely got me in there for saying something I definitely didn't say," Porter said. "It's definitely because of who I am, because how do you get fined $10,000 for getting into a fight before a game and getting kicked out and you get fined $15,000 for saying something and I didn't even say it?

"It's definitely one of those who I am and why they said it -- the most-feared stuff from the cover, and they think I'm trying to live up to that rep; that's not the situation."

Porter was featured early this season on the cover of Sports Illustrated, which called him the most-feared player in the NFL.

He pointed to another incident in Atlanta as more evidence. Out with a hamstring injury, he walked the Steelers' sideline dressed in NFL-issued sweats, but with the legs cut shorter. He said he was told if he wore them that way again he would be fined by the league.

"New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick cuts his sweats on his sleeves every game, what's the difference?" Porter argued.

"That lets you know I'm a target. I'm not even playing, and they still want to fine me."

Porter said talk on a football field can get rough, but it always has been that way.

I don't see any way Joey can win this but atleast he's standing up and trying to prove his point.

House of Steel
11-09-2006, 12:21 AM
The NFL is getting pretty damn nuts on some of the most stupidest things I've ever seen. I am getting to hate the Front Office of this new commissioner, he is an *** already.

AZ_Steeler
11-09-2006, 12:31 AM
He might not have said it but I'm sure he was thinking it!!! :lol: The refs haven't been showing the Steelers any love this year!

Steelersfan
11-09-2006, 12:59 AM
If you ask me that was a lame call to begin with. The umpire throws a flag for something he heard in the huddle? When the hell has that ever happened!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2006, 10:10 AM
They used to never throw flags for taunting or trash talking during the game, now you can't even tell a guy he sucks in the middle of a game without getting a flag...this aint romper room out there, its Football damnit !

House of Steel
11-09-2006, 10:13 AM
The more I am reading this, the more I think the NFL got something on us. I think Dan is right, since when the hell do they throw flags for something in the huddle??? How does the Zebra know what the hell is being said in the huddle with the game noise??? Explain this one to me? How far was he from the huddle??? You know something, I am just about had enough of the lame Bullshit from the officials and the league. That new commissioner is being a total lame *** lately.