PDA

View Full Version : Member Spotlight: lloydfan4life

AZ_Steeler
06-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Steeler Addicts Member Spotlight:
lloydfan4life (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/member.php?u=1452)

How long have you been a Steeler fan? I've been a Steeler fan since the early 70's.

What made you become a fan of the Steelers? I guess you could say I was brainwashed sort of. As a young kid our family would go to dinner on Sunday's at my grandparents house. My uncle was a die-hard Steeler fan and we would watch the games with him. I always looked forward to those times.

Who is your favorite Player currently on the Steelers roster? I'd definitely have to say Hines Ward.

Why are they your favorite player? I love his work ethic, his badass style of play and the fact that he's always smiling!

Who is your favorite Steeler of the past? :lol: give you one guess!! Greg Lloyd!!

What is your favorite Steelers memory? I'd have to say my favorite Steeler memory is calling Bill Cowher at his hotel room in Baltimore at about 11pm the night before their first away game against the Ravens. :duh: (I guess you want me to explain now.) Woodsonsgirl and I were lying in bed one evening reading. She was reading a magazine and I was reading the Steelers media guide I had received w/my subscription to Steelers digest. I came across a listing for all of the hotels that the Steelers stay in when they're on the road.... and their telephone numbers. I kept daring Shell to call Rod Woodson at the hotel in Baltimore. After all, this was their first year playing in Baltimore and surely the hotel staff wouldn't be real accustomed to crazy fans trying to call players. After a while of calling her 'chicken' she summoned up enough courage and picked up the phone and dialed the number. The operator answered, Shell asked to speak with Rod Woodson and next thing she knew the phone was ringing. Rod answered, Shell introduced herself, talked briefly, wished him good luck in the game the next day, he said 'Thank you Michelle' then hung up. I thought 'SonofaBitch'... I'm calling Cowher! Now... I had met Bill the previous off season at a card signing he did locally. I had an engraved bottle of wine from Super Bowl XXX that I had signed by Kordell and Bill. (for a friend) Bill commented when signing the bottle what a unique item it was. Fast forward to lying in bed after Shell hung up with Rod. I was really nervous about calling Bill and hesitated. Shell kept calling ME a 'chicken' and after going back and forth with her for quite a while I finally got up the courage to call. I picked up the phone dialed the number and asked for Bill Cowher when the operator answered. Same thing happened. The phone started to ring to Bill's room. Bill answered the phone in somewhat of a half groggy voice. I introduced myself and then he said, and I quote, "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT TIME IT IS??" The only thing I hadn't really paid any attention to was the fact that in going back and forth with Shell about whether or not I was going to call Bill so much time had passed that now it was 11pm!!! YIKES!!! :banging: I apologized for losing track of time and calling so late, and told him that I had remembered how much he had liked the SB XXX wine bottle and I got one for him. He told me he remembered the bottle then thanked me and told me I could send it to the stadium in care of him. I wished him good luck in the game, he thanked me then we hung up. I did send him the engraved bottle, and about a week later I received a thank you letter from him.
Oh... and I still take the blame for them losing that game against the Ratbirds! :duh:

What is your favorite sport to watch other than football? Hockey (Go Pens!!)

How did you find Steeler Addicts? NCSteeler told me about it! (Thanks NC!!!) :yellowthumb:

Sum up your thoughts on Steeler Addicts in a few sentences? This is by far the best Steeler site on the web! The members are awesome, the tolerance for differing opinions is high and the staff members are not all stuck up and crabby! Feels like family here!

What do you do for a living? I'm a Mechanical Designer of Industrial Refrigeration Equipment

What is one thing that might surprise people to know about you? I helped to build a school building in Liberia West Africa in 1980

What is one thing that everybody knows you for? My love of the Black & Gold

What kind of car or truck do you drive? I have a 2008 Black Ford Ranger truck.

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? I wish I never would have started smoking as a kid. For almost 3 months now I have been a non-smoker... I just wish I wouldn't have waited for over thirty years to quit!

What are your hobbies & interests outside of posting on SA? I enjoy riding motorcycles with Woodsonsgirl, fishing, camping and hanging out with friends around the campfire in the back yard.

Favorite TV show(s)? C.S.I. and American Chopper

Favorite gaming console(s) and video game(s)? Xbox 360 & Guitar Hero!!!

Does your family enjoy watching football with you or do they run and hide when the game is on? We all love watching football together. All four of my kids... and their other halves... are huge Steeler fans!

What type of Steelers game day rituals do you do? Shell makes a big pot of food on the stove (Ham & Greenbeans or Chicken Pot Pie or Beef Noodle Soup) and we eat and watch football in the Steeler room all day long! I always have on one of my Steeler shirts or a jersey.

Your favorite gametime food & beverage? See previous answer for food. Beverage would have to be iced tea or pepsi & malibu.

How many Steeler games have you attended in your lifetime? Four. Bengals, Raiders, Vikings & Ravens

Three Rivers Stadium or Heinz Field? Been to both. TRS is a classic.... but I love the openess and the grass surface at Heinz.

Immaculate Reception, "The Tackle", or "Immaculate Drive"? I'd have to say the Tackle. I wasn't really old enough to appreciate the huge impact of Franco's catch that day. I did not see it live. I remember well the lump in my throat and feeling of 'OH SH*T' that I felt right before 'The Tackle'.

When do you think the Steelers will win #7? Are you kidding me??? 2009 Baby!!! :cope:

What do you think it will take for them to get back to the Super Bowl? They will need to realize that they will have a target on their backs again this year. Just like they did after SB XL. Everybody's going to come with their best game. Be prepared and do not overlook anybody. Let's get that O line fixed and get the running game moving again!

LarryNJ
06-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Do you know what time it is? :lol: That's gold!

BlitzburghNation
06-15-2009, 09:10 AM
:clap: Great interview and the phone call is definetly a classic :bigthumb:

Sure hope you guys can make the minnesota game :pray:

Gal-Aholic is going to try to make it,,,,,,,who knows my wife might even come :crossfingers:

Cannot wait to hang with you guys again,,,,,,,:bigthumb:
We had a blast :all_coholic:

steelersgal86
06-15-2009, 09:22 AM
:haha: you guys are stalkers :haha:

Great interview....:yellowthumb:

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Great Interview !! Thanks for sharing!

Sir Blitzelot
06-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Great interview lloydfan. :clap: It's awesome that you called Bill, I would have been estatic haha! :lol:

lloydfan4life
06-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Here's the letter I received from Cowher after sending him the wine bottle. :yellowthumb:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd95/lloydfan4life/Misc/Cowherletter1.jpg

steelersgal86
06-15-2009, 10:13 AM
That is awesome:yellowthumb:

Bucsfan4ever
06-15-2009, 11:28 AM
An awesome and unique interview!! :yellowthumb:

TampaSteelGirl
06-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Awesome interview!! I almost peed my pants with the phone calls!!! Gotta love Cowher! i'm surprised they will allow you to call in after a certain time. Love the letter as well!

ejsteeler
06-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Good stuff man...:yellowthumb:
Hang in there with quiting smoking...I'm going through it myself.....

WoodsonsGirl
06-15-2009, 06:21 PM
:haha: you guys are stalkers :haha:

Great interview....:yellowthumb:

:nono: No Lloyds the stalker! I would never think of stalking Rod Woodson at 11 o'clock at night! :lol:

Great interview babe! :yellowthumb:

steelersgal86
06-15-2009, 07:07 PM
:nono: No Lloyds the stalker! I would never think of stalking Rod Woodson at 11 o'clock at night! :lol:

Great interview babe! :yellowthumb:

yeah sure WoodsonGirl...just kidding I love it:yellowthumb:

floodcitygirl
06-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Very cool Lloyd. Thanks for taking the time to do the interview. (I can't believe you called Bill Cowher???!!!)

NOVA STEELERS
02-08-2010, 07:13 PM
How long have you been a Steeler fan? I've been a Steeler fan since the early 70's.

What is your favorite Steelers memory? Now... I had met Bill the previous off season at a card signing he did locally. I had an engraved bottle of wine from Super Bowl XXX that I had signed by Kordell and Bill.

Oh... and I still take the blame for them losing that game against the Ratbirds!

Sum up your thoughts on Steeler Addicts in a few sentences? This is by far the best Steeler site on the web! The members are awesome, the tolerance for differing opinions is high and the staff members are not all stuck up and crabby! Feels like family here!

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? I wish I never would have started smoking as a kid. For almost 3 months now I have been a non-smoker... I just wish I wouldn't have waited for over thirty years to quit!

What type of Steelers game day rituals do you do? Shell makes a big pot of food on the stove (Ham & Greenbeans or Chicken Pot Pie or Beef Noodle Soup) and we eat and watch football in the Steeler room all day long! I always have on one of my Steeler shirts or a jersey.

Fan since the 70s :yikes: YOUR OLD and YOUR A STALKER AS WELL :hide: I knew you had a man crush on Kordell :hehheh: So it was your fault we lost that game :club: YOU NEED TO QUIT SMOKING :rant2: :woot: gonna have some Pot Pie weekend of the 6th :grin1:

Scorp
02-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Great stuff Lloyd. Love the letter. That is awesome.

75Steeler
02-08-2010, 09:28 PM
That is awesome! It took some stones for you guys to call them! I met Cowher once as a kid at a Steelers 5k run my mother and I were helping out with.

WoodsonsGirl
02-09-2010, 08:36 PM
I thought I would pass out when I talked to Woodson! http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/michellelarose1997/Actions/smilie_girl_275.gif