PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' McFadden to start Sunday over Taylor..Update 11/10 Taylor status undecided

Koopa
11-08-2006, 05:20 PM
i didn't see it posted so bah if it has lol.....good move, taylor ****ing sucks, he's just a contract type of player, mcfadden will do better....which isn't saying much cause i'd probably do better then taylor has this year

At least one of the Steelers' lineup changes alluded to by coach Bill Cowher this week may come as a surprise.

Ike Taylor, signed in September to a five-year, $22.5 million contract, was told he probably will not start at left cornerback when the Steelers play New Orleans in Heinz Field Sunday.

"That's how it is," Taylor said with a shrug. "I've got to work my way up, plain and simple."

Second-year man Bryant McFadden is next on the depth chart and likely would start in Taylor's place.

"I feel every week is an opportunity for me," said McFadden, who started two games this season at right cornerback for an injured Deshea Townsend. "Whenever my number's needed to be called, I always want to go out and play football and stay around the ball and try to be consistent."

Taylor, who received a $6.4 million signing bonus when he signed his new deal this year, often has been assigned to the opponent's best receiver this season. That's what he was doing Sunday when he covered Denver's Javon Walker. He shut down other receivers but Walker caught six passes for 134 yards including twin 10-yard touchdowns on fade patterns, which are basically lob passes in the end zone.

"It's a tough business, if that's how it is," McFadden said of a Taylor demotion. "For me, I'm just going in and doing what I usually do week-in and week-out and whatever happens on Sunday, be ready."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06312/736757-66.stm

SteelerFan87
11-08-2006, 05:23 PM
I think that's just trying to send a message to Ike. If anything I'd think McFadden would start over Deshea. Taylor's good, he'll get the job back. And McFadden didn't look too good earlier when he started.

K Train
11-08-2006, 05:27 PM
this is to light a fire under taylors ***...all three of them play in the games anyway...i like the taylor mcfadden combo, never been a big townsend fan :dunno:

Koopa
11-08-2006, 05:30 PM
taylor gets thrown on like he's a rookie corner, every qb eats him a live when they see him playing......

K Train
11-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Hes pretty good...he has hands of stone, but he bats down alot of passes.

Koopa
11-08-2006, 05:34 PM
but also gets bombed on all day

House of Steel
11-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Koopa's points are more accurate, lately, I have been sick of Ike Taylor, that Denver game was no excuse whatsoever to have Walker burn him all day. I was cussing a storm on that one.

K Train
11-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Well denver definetly wasnt his game......

Black@Gold Forever32
11-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Well all of the Steelers corners have sucked this year. Its just not one guy. But I'm all for seeing McFadden in a starters role. I hope more young guys get some serious playing time. At 2-6 this is the time to start seeing if some these young players are worth keeping around and have a future.

Hopefully this benching lights a fire under Ike's ***. Ike was solid last year. I didn't think he was a shut down corner like some thought in the Steelers Nation last year. But a good corner. This year I don't know but its just not Ike its all of the corners.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-08-2006, 10:10 PM
This is definately a motivational factor for Taylor IMO. Ike is our guy for the future but he got burnt badly last weekend. If anything we should be seeing McFadden go in for Deshea instead of Ike only because Ike needs to work through this.

But hey, this season makes no sense whatsoever so virtually nothing comes as a surprise anymore.

Aunkster
11-08-2006, 10:17 PM
its nice to see Ike say that he knows he needs to play better and not complain,thats what I like about this team,they stick together even when things get rough

Koopa
11-08-2006, 10:51 PM
i still have respect for ike because of the way he handled the contract situation, but i'm tired of him getting thrown on at will by teams, hopefully this will light a fire under his *** even though the season is over

AZ_Steeler
11-08-2006, 11:58 PM
I think you all are right! The coaching staff is more than likely sending him a wake up call... a much needed call! Ike has been a burnt piece of toast al season long and has taken some receivers a little to lightly! Not a bad move by the staff at all but Ike will be back as the starter.

Aunkster
11-09-2006, 12:00 AM
I am betting that this was the plan made by the Steelers organization,to try and light a fire under his ***...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2006, 12:12 AM
I think you all are right! The coaching staff is more than likely sending him a wake up call... a much needed call! Ike has been a burnt piece of toast al season long and has taken some receivers a little to lightly! Not a bad move by the staff at all but Ike will be back as the starter.

Ike has had a bunch of good games when you think about it. He shut down the Raiders top wideout, same with the chiefs, Bengals, Jags, and Dolphins. He did struggle last week and against the Falcons though so I think he'll be ok.

Its a toss up as to whether they should let him get back in the saddle but if this sitting down helps him get motivated again then its all good.

Steelersfan
11-09-2006, 01:09 AM
I'm kind of surprised at this and not surprised. Ike does need a wakeup call after last weeks game and this should do it. I like McFadden getting a chance but was hoping it would be him an Ike as the starters since they are the future. Nothing against Townsend, he has been a good CB for us and still does a decent job.

Koopa
11-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Ike has had a bunch of good games when you think about it. He shut down the Raiders top wideout, same with the chiefs, Bengals, Jags, and Dolphins. He did struggle last week and against the Falcons though so I think he'll be ok.

Its a toss up as to whether they should let him get back in the saddle but if this sitting down helps him get motivated again then its all good.

yeah, because we all know that the raiders have one of the best offenses in teh league and it's very hard to shut down moss there :rolleyes: lol......i wouldn't use that argument about the raiders if i were you lol

also, henry made ike his bitch in the endzone, and everyone has shut down chad this year, the dolphins have sucked all year too, chambers has had a ****** year......jags don't have that great of wr's to begin with and they still did pretty good

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Ike has faced some good WR's regardless of what kind of year they are having or what QB they had.

The jags the biggest group of WR's in the league and they are ranked pretty high in terms of catches and yardage.

Moss is still one of the best WR's in the league. Regardless of who the QB is you still gotta be a tough physical CB to defend Moss.

Chambers is the best WR the dolphins have and their biggest target.

My point is, you Texas sized dingbat :lol: , that while Ike has got taken to the cleaners by Denver & Atlanta he's still done pretty well overall as opposed to Deshea who's been hung out to dry all year long every week.

House of Steel
11-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Texas sized Dingbat :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: I don't think he going to swallow that one too well.

Prosdo
11-09-2006, 01:58 PM
this is to light a fire under taylors ***...all three of them play in the games anyway...i like the taylor mcfadden combo, never been a big townsend fan :dunno:

Ditto. I thought Deshea probably would have been benched. Hopefully this lights a fire under Ike.

Steelerlyn
11-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Not exactly earth-shattering news, shoul dhave done a long time ago! :)

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2006, 12:20 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06314/737236-66.stm

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Bill Cowher cautioned against "reading too many things" into the status of cornerback Ike Taylor, who appears to have lost his starting job to Bryant McFadden after a poor performance against the Denver Broncos.

Taylor, who was beaten for a pair of touchdown passes and catches of 38 and 61 yards by Denver's Javon Walker, said he was told he might not start Sunday against the New Orleans Saints at Heinz Field.

When asked about Taylor yesterday, Cowher said, "At this point, no concrete decision has been made." He said he might not decide which player will start at cornerback until pre-game warmups.

"Like with any player, when you go through periods of coming off a tough game or a tough series of games, you have to work through it, fight through it," Cowher said. "I'm going to make decisions that I feel give us the best chance of winning and do that on a week-to-week basis."

Taylor generally is considered the team's best cornerback. He often is assigned to shadow the other team's top receiver. He has done that successfully, on almost every occasion, until Sunday.

"Those things are going to happen from time to time; every corner goes through it," Cowher said. "One thing I don't want to see is where we get to the point we're afraid to make a play. There's a fine line between trying to do too much and trying to play too careful. I've talked to players about that.

"You have to be able to challenge guys, and other times where you have to look at down-and-distance, and play it accordingly. I want players to be able to walk that line."

I thought this might be a bit premature of the press to release something saying Ike was benched. We'll see what happens come gameday but don't be surprised to see Ike in the game.