PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin: Steelersí coach needs to get better

Captcoolhand
06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8987/6decca4d20tomlin0612200.jpg (http://img189.imageshack.us/i/6decca4d20tomlin0612200.jpg/)
Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, left, talks with offensive coordinator Bruce Arians as the team warms up for football practice at the teamís training facility in Pittsburgh,

Who's the coach here...........
Sad seeing Tomlin being mentored by BA.:duh:
I always said that we don't have a Head coach. We just have a good team that helps make what we have look good.........

PITTSBURGH ó Mike Tomlin knows thereís one area where the Pittsburgh Steelers can improve: Their coaching.

The Steelers won the Super Bowl during his second season as coach, but Tomlin was as critical of himself as he was his players while making his offseason evaluations. He didnít reveal his self-given grade, but it was far from perfect.

"I better get better," Tomlin said Thursday. "Thatís the nature of this thing. And getting better doesnít necessarily mean a better outcome; I understand that. Iím always trying to be the best I can be. Iím as critical of myself as I am of anyone. I think thatís appropriate from a leadership standpoint.

"Hopefully Iíll do a cleaner, more efficient job of that here in í09."

There was little discussion about the Super Bowl as the Steelers went through 18 optional spring practices that ended Thursday. There will be review work with the rookies and less-experienced players next week, but most veteran players wonít return until training camp opens July 31.

The Steelers handed out their Super Bowl rings at a private party Tuesday but, otherwise, Tomlin said, "Where weíre headed is my focus."

There was little news generated during the optional practices, although Tomlin said:

óLimas Sweed, a second-round pick last year, isnít necessarily the front-runner to replace Nate Washington as the No. 3 receiver. Washington signed with Tennessee.

"Weíre not going to be a slave to what someoneís capable of doing from an assignment standpoint in determining who the No. 3 receiver is," Tomlin said. "We have some flexibility with the other two."

Hines Ward could move into the slot at times when the Steelers use three receivers, so the No. 3 receiver wonít necessarily be a split end or a slot receiver.I really hoped to see Sweed come around but could this be a beginning to an end.......

TampaSteelGirl
06-12-2009, 11:49 AM
I think maybe what he means is maybe more familiar with the play calling, maybe he'll be more involved in the play calling since Arians didn't do such a stellar job last year and was criticized alot. There is always room for improvement in coaching, I think considering he won a SB in his second year he will be a HOF coach once he gets this coaching thing down..Nice to see he's critical of himself and doesn't feel that since he's won a SB that his job is done...Love the work ethics of this coach!!!! :yellowthumb:

greg1964
06-12-2009, 01:33 PM
I love coach Tomlin and what he added to the Steelers defense: DL recieves all the credit, but the pass defense as been better since MT as been hear. BA as received alot of the blame for the offernse struggles, but with, Smith, Fanacia, Hartings, Simmons ALL having to be replaced in the last two years, I'm willing to give him one more year. Even last year: Starks replace Smith after six games, CK was a first time starter, Hartwig was firsttime starter for the Steelers, Stepleton replace Simmons after game four, and we still won the Super Bowl.

ejsteeler
06-12-2009, 02:51 PM
As long as he sells that mentality, I'm happy.

steelcitysfinestXL
06-12-2009, 03:47 PM
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8987/6decca4d20tomlin0612200.jpg (http://img189.imageshack.us/i/6decca4d20tomlin0612200.jpg/)[I][B]
I always said that we don't have a Head coach. We just have a good team that helps make what we have look good...

I couldnt agree LESS with you... Maybe you could say that about BC, he was a guy who catered to Vets and has "his guys". Tomlin holds the entire team to the same tough standards (on the field) and thats why we got the results we did in '08-'09. DL, is as good as it gets and Tomlin took a more hands on pproach with DB's a ST's and look at the imporvements from '07 to '08. BA needs a foot in his ***, his scheme is good, his relationship with players seems to be good, but his play calling and decision making is subpar. Hopefully we can improve there!!!

yinzer
06-12-2009, 04:03 PM
deep down, tomlin knows arians is a numbskull.

Iron City South
06-12-2009, 04:14 PM
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8987/6decca4d20tomlin0612200.jpg (http://img189.imageshack.us/i/6decca4d20tomlin0612200.jpg/)[I][B]

Who's the coach here...........
Sad seeing Tomlin being mentored by BA.:duh:
I always said that we don't have a Head coach. We just have a good team that helps make what we have look good.......

I have to think 1 of 2 things with this comment:

1) you're being an *** and truly don't know any better :moon:

or

2) You're just throwing **** up on the wall for shock value to see what sticks. :yesnod:

There's no mistaking who the HEAD COACH is in Pittsburgh ..... none.

Bruce Arians is obviously getting schooled in this pic by "the man" himself. Either that or Coach T is saying, "You see this thumb Bruce? This is the thumb that will come down and squash you like a bug this year if you can't make gametime adjustments like last year. :yellowthumb:

Airans knows damn well that without Tomlin's support, he goes right into the unemployment line in this league. :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-12-2009, 04:33 PM
There was a learning curve with Cowher and there is with Tomlin too. Being a HC is no joke so he's got room to improve but at the same time he's got a veteran team that knows how to play and get focused. He's done a lot of things well since he came here and the future is bright for him. I think his main deal right now is personnel; the OL is no better than last year, and the Offensive play calling in general is still suspect IMO so it's not like all is perfect but at this piont after winning the super bowl I'll take it and move forward anyday. After all we could be the Browns or Bengals :bwah:

HUNT4SEVEN
06-12-2009, 09:54 PM

or

2) You're just throwing **** up on the wall for shock value to see what sticks. :yesnod:

Bruce Arians is obviously getting schooled in this pic by "the man" himself. Either that or Coach T is saying, "You see this thumb Bruce? This is the thumb that will come down and squash you like a bug this year if you can't make gametime adjustments like last year. :yellowthumb::hehheh:

Airans knows damn well that without Tomlin's support, he goes right into the unemployment line in this league. :yesnod::hehheh: I agree with you 10000000000000% ICS, Tampa Steel Girl made an important point also, Tomlin will be more involed this year with the play calling:tt02:

Silverback 92
06-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Its a picture , its hard to tell whats going on there ,for all we own Tomlins is showing BA where he slammed his thumb in the car door

steelers4life66
06-13-2009, 11:05 AM

or

Bruce Arians is obviously getting schooled in this pic by "the man" himself. Either that or Coach T is saying, "You see this thumb Bruce? This is the thumb that will come down and squash you like a bug this year if you can't make gametime adjustments like last year. :yellowthumb:

Airans knows damn well that without Tomlin's support, he goes right into the unemployment line in this league. :yesnod:
:ditto:

Lunchbucket
06-15-2009, 08:38 AM
There was a learning curve with Cowher and there is with Tomlin too. Being a HC is no joke so he's got room to improve but at the same time he's got a veteran team that knows how to play and get focused. He's done a lot of things well since he came here and the future is bright for him. I think his main deal right now is personnel; the OL is no better than last year, and the Offensive play calling in general is still suspect IMO so it's not like all is perfect but at this piont after winning the super bowl I'll take it and move forward anyday. After all we could be the Browns or Bengals :bwah:

You got this right! Coach Tomlin is humble and intelligent enough to recognize that growth is a key element in achievement, not only for himself,but for the entire team.This type of commitment and honesty is refreshing in todays atmosphere of over sensitive egos, overpaid prima donnas, and me first attitudes prevelant in pro team sports.

ejsteeler
06-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Its a picture , its hard to tell whats going on there ,for all we own Tomlins is showing BA where he slammed his thumb in the car door

:rofl:

mateus
06-15-2009, 11:38 PM

i was thinking more along the lines of:
Arians - "Do you gotta tell Ben he's doing a good job after every pass in practice?"
Tomlin - "It worked last year didn't it?"

Fan Of STEEL
06-21-2009, 11:12 AM
These are two of the most underrated coaches in the league. Ariens is far from perfect and is frustrating when he keeps using a running play that is not working, but as the season went on showed he is improving. I'll give Ariens a pass on his play calling after winning the Superbowl. Tomlin, just keep up the same thing you have been doing. He is about as good a coach as you can ask for.

steeler875
06-22-2009, 09:47 AM

lmao you couldn't be more right.you can't tell what people are saying in a picture.