PDA

View Full Version : Sweed Struggling Early

Iron City South
06-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Not good for Sweed ... I said the moment they signed McDonald from Free Agency that because he is a crafty veteran who runs decent routes, he probably has the best chance of being our #3 WR next year.

Although it’s football in shorts, our favorite insider Jim Wexell said in his latest update on Steelers OTA’s that Sweed won’t be the team’s no. 3 WR this year. He said the favorite right now has to be Shaun MCDonald, not that he has shown much either. The reason? No one else appears capable of running those inside routes that veteran slot receivers can run. Sweed also had a rough day on Wednesday catching the football, with 2 big drops.

- And the person who Wex feels has the only real chance of beating out McDonald for the open slot receiver spot? Street free agent WR Brandon Williams.

- A big day for punt returners. Wex said that Stefan Logan, who teammates have nicknamed “Half-pint”, will have a fan following by training camp because of his quickness. Apparently, Tomlin is taking a liking to the guy as well. After Logan went deep to snag a ball over his shoulder, Tomlin asked him if he had ever played baseball before, and told him to catch the next deep one like a center fielder. A few kicks later, Logan took his eyes off the ball, ran to a spot, just like he was Willie Mays, turned, picked up the ball and caught it easily. Tomlin’s response? “There you go!”

- While Logan impressed, Wex said he believes 5th-rounder Joe Burnett is the leader for the PR gig, showing poise and polish beyond his years. He believes Burnett is a natural punt-catcher and knows exactly what he wants to do with the ball and where he wants to go. He asked an assistant coach if Burnett has a good chance to be the no. 1 PR. The AC said Burnett has a “GREAT” chance to be the man. We all know who is the no. 1 KR, he of the 4.28 speed in the 40 and stylist Mohawk, Mr. Mike “Just Watch Me Take It 2 The House” Wallace.

- Wex noted that 3rd-round rookie CB Keenan Lewis flashed pro recovery speed to break up a deep pass intended for Brandon Williams on one play. Did I mention before that Wex, D. Lolley and a few scouts attending the Steelers practices really like this Williams kid?

- Catch of the day went to Heath Miller, who turned CB/S Roy Lewis around on one play to get behind him and haul in a deep pass. On the next play, Big Ben scrambled, motioned for TE Matt Spaeth to break deep, but he couldn’t lose Lewis, who broke up the pass.

That’s it for now.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...s-separate-ben

DanRooney
06-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Sweed will be the #3 receiver next season even with his struggles early on.

Glad to hear the rest of them are playing well.

Stlrs4Life
06-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Not worried yet, it is only OTA's.

Sir Blitzelot
06-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Give this guy a chance, it's only June. Sweed will find his groove.

SteelerSal
06-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Give this guy a chance, it's only June. Sweed will find his groove.

When?? He was drafted as and getting paid to be a WIDE RECIEVER!!

His "Give the guy a chance", was over at the end of last season. Time for him show why he was picked in the 2nd round.

JensK
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM

His "Give the guy a chance", was over at the end of last season. Time for him show why he was picked in the 2nd round.

Sadly, not all WR turns out to be Calvin Johnson - WR's take time to develop, and thats just the way it is. Most WRs take at least 2 years before they are worth a damn. Take Plaxico Burress for an example.. He had an aweful rookie season, but owned the world in the following. Sweed may not own the world, but he'll be much better this year. I am expecting a lot from this guy, but i know that you have to be patient with them...

Its funny, seeing we are in lack of WR's Sweed needs to produce big numbers at once, or he'll be marked bum - If it were a LB, he could take hes sweet time, because - hey... its totally different >.> (this what not ment to you SteelerSal, im just tired of hearing people whining about Sweed)

LatrobePA
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM

Agree 100%....You gave up a 2nd rounder for him, kid needs to be ready to hit the ground running...

Sir Blitzelot
06-09-2009, 12:09 PM
He's entering his second year, it's not like he is in his fourth or fifth season. Sorry to break the news to you, but wide receivers usually do not play like Jerry Rice in their first year. Terrell Owens, for example, struggled early in his career with San Francisco. Developing a solid wide receiver takes time.

Zachintosh66
06-09-2009, 12:09 PM
honestly kinda sounds like Washington at first... plenty of talent... cant catch the easy ones

lloydfan4life
06-09-2009, 12:16 PM
I keep hearing how it takes WR's time to develop. Develop what? Hands to be able to hold onto the ball? He's got the speed. His route running and learning plays may take time upon entering the NFL, but for the love of pete he is supposed to be a pass catcher not a pass dropper. :duh: Hopefully he'll get the butterflies out and have a great camp followed by a breakout season! :cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I can completely forgive the rookie season, hell Holmes struggled his first year with drops and bad routes. Then the 2nd year he started to come on alittle bit more and be more consistent, then in his 3rd year of course he took even bigger strides.

It's too early to wipe Sweed out of the 3rd spot but it's clear that he really needs to get moving as well. OTA's are not exactly high contact type of drills, so he needs to really get himself moving because camp is next month.

SteelerSal
06-09-2009, 12:28 PM
I can completely forgive the rookie season, hell Holmes struggled his first year with drops and bad routes. Then the 2nd year he started to come on alittle bit more and be more consistent, then in his 3rd year of course he took even bigger strides.

It's too early to wipe Sweed out of the 3rd spot but it's clear that he really needs to get moving as well. OTA's are not exactly high contact type of drills, so he needs to really get himself moving because camp is next month.

In my opinion, Sweed is not the third reciever, McDonald is. Sweed has shown nothing to prove he earned that spot, McDonald has.
Sweed is competing for a place as a third or even 4th reciever spot. Wallace might even beat him out of the 4th if he does not start useing his million dollar hands.

Iron City South
06-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Here's the deal:

WR's coming into this league either have skills catching the ball, or they don't. You shouldn't be learning this craft if you've just be drafted by a pro team. Many times players coming up into the "bigs" can't handle the speed of the game or the thought of getting hit. In Sweed's case ... I think it's the latter. I think the man is absolutely petrified of getting creamed over the middle.

CNY_STEELER_FAN
06-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Regarding why receivers take more time to develop: they need to read the defense and determine which route to run, rather than high school ball where you just line up and run a specific route no matter what the defense is doing (e.g., blitz, zone, etc).

Specific to Sweed, I believe I saw an article last year that he had some eyesight issues that required some correction. It wasn't identified until after the Steelers drafted him.

That being said, he does remind me of Nate Washington's first few years, so I would say McDonald is currently the odd's on favorite for the 3rd receiver. Although he could just be an insurance policy, in case Ward's knee isn't 100% by opening day.

Regardless, they still want a 2nd speedy receiver to help Santonio stretch the field on some plays ... so there will be plenty of opportunities to earn the #3 spot even after training camp is over.

ICS you could be right about being afraid, but he seems to be dropping the easy balls (i.e., in the playoffs) and he did show the willingness to block (granted, after he screwed up the previous play).

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2009, 05:03 PM
When you watch him, or atleast what I saw with him in the games he was seeing action is that almost every time he's taking his eyes off the ball and not watching it come into his hands. He looks ahead or to the side at the last second. So yeah he's definitely hearing footsteps or trying to do much before he catches the ball. That stuff can be coached and comes with repetition and experience. IF that's the case then he can still be a viable WR for us. However if he just cannot adjust to the game and is afraid of taking the big hit everytime he catches the ball then his NFL career might be short lived.

CNY_STEELER_FAN
06-10-2009, 11:48 AM
If he is dropping passes while they're only in helmets and shorts due to hearing footsteps, then I would agree that his NFL career with the Steelers will be short.

andyg1984
06-10-2009, 12:00 PM
saying WR's need time to develop is too general .. the problem is that the skills he is lacking are not the ones which are easy to improve .. the route-running/blocking is something guys can work on - he does not need any work in this area .. the hands is more of a natural thing , not that it cannot be worked on but the improvement is ceratinly not as dramatic .. hopefully this guy turns out to be a value where we got him, but now it is becoming more clear why we were able to pick him where we did

JensK
06-10-2009, 02:40 PM
He can catch a ball. Go watch vids with him on youtube. The guy has, or had, great hands but for some reason he is dropping the balls right now. I still think its way to early to mark him as a failure..

CaliforniaSean
06-15-2009, 02:11 PM
sweeds a bust, worst 2nd round pick ever. what a waste!!

86WARD
06-15-2009, 05:00 PM
It typically takes a WR three years to develop. It's by far the hardest position to learn at the NFL level...give the guy some time. He'll get it together...

--- Added 6/15/2009 at 04:00 PM ---

sweeds a bust, worst 2nd round pick ever. what a waste!!

I'm hoping you're joking...

andyg1984
06-15-2009, 07:56 PM
It typically takes a WR three years to develop. It's by far the hardest position to learn at the NFL level...give the guy some time. He'll get it together...

--- Added 6/15/2009 at 04:00 PM ---

I'm hoping you're joking...

WR is by hard the hardest position to learn ?? What about QB?????

Silverback
06-16-2009, 04:59 PM
WR is by hard the hardest position to learn ?? What about QB????? There seems to be a pretty common belief that CB is harder to learn than WR but maybe just what I've been reading.

86WARD
06-16-2009, 06:18 PM
WR is by hard the hardest position to learn ?? What about QB?????

Yes, the QB is one of the toughest positions to learn...however, success at the QB position, usually comes faster than at the WR position. The playbooks are more complex for the QB, decision times are cut down and instead of facing a few NFL level players on the college level, they are facing 11. But for some reason, a QB usually has more success out of the gates than a WR does. Not so much the first year (except in the rarer cases,) but the second and third, a QB is usually on his way...

A WR is a position where EVERYTHING is more complex than on the college level. The routes are totally different, way more complex on the NFL level. There is very little on the college level to prepare a WR for the NFL game...most aspects on the college level for a WR aren't even close to that of the NFL level. On the NFL level, the receiver needs to know when to cut a route when to extend a route when to change a route...they need to block which they normally don't do on the college level. In college a WR can get by on size and speed. That's not going to happen in the NFL.

imo, because the lack of success is there for the WR's, it's the more difficult of the two.

--- Added 6/16/2009 at 05:18 PM ---

There seems to be a pretty common belief that CB is harder to learn than WR but maybe just what I've been reading.

QB, WR, DT...I'd say all three of those are harder than CB...

CB is probably one of the more physical positions.

Just my opinion...

slashsteel
06-16-2009, 07:02 PM
I echo what was said about a WR often taking time, 3 years etc...

The guy is getting open. Some WRs have trouble with that.

The hands is a concentration issue as his hands were solid as was mentioned in college.

There is not a problem Sweed is encountering, that can't eventually fade away with confidence / experience.

It just takes patience on the fans part.

Sweed will NOT be a bust, mark my words.... :yellowthumb:

86WARD
06-16-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't think Ward will let him be a bust...lol...

andyg1984
06-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Yes, the QB is one of the toughest positions to learn...however, success at the QB position, usually comes faster than at the WR position. The playbooks are more complex for the QB, decision times are cut down and instead of facing a few NFL level players on the college level, they are facing 11. But for some reason, a QB usually has more success out of the gates than a WR does. Not so much the first year (except in the rarer cases,) but the second and third, a QB is usually on his way...

A WR is a position where EVERYTHING is more complex than on the college level. The routes are totally different, way more complex on the NFL level. There is very little on the college level to prepare a WR for the NFL game...most aspects on the college level for a WR aren't even close to that of the NFL level. On the NFL level, the receiver needs to know when to cut a route when to extend a route when to change a route...they need to block which they normally don't do on the college level. In college a WR can get by on size and speed. That's not going to happen in the NFL.

imo, because the lack of success is there for the WR's, it's the more difficult of the two.

--- Added 6/16/2009 at 05:18 PM ---

QB, WR, DT...I'd say all three of those are harder than CB...

CB is probably one of the more physical positions.

Just my opinion...

if that were the case how could it be that there are probably only 12 "good" QB's in the whole league as opposed to probably 60 "good" receivers .. by good i mean that there are only so many players that teams want to hold on to .. there are 20 teams in this league looking for a QB .. not that many looking for WR's

86WARD
06-19-2009, 10:01 AM
WR's are more readily available...of course there's going to be more "good" ones...lol.

JensK
06-19-2009, 11:42 AM
if that were the case how could it be that there are probably only 12 "good" QB's in the whole league as opposed to probably 60 "good" receivers .. by good i mean that there are only so many players that teams want to hold on to .. there are 20 teams in this league looking for a QB .. not that many looking for WR's

Well probably because a team only needs one QB (lets say two) and a team needs 5 WR at least. So obviously they need to make more WRs than QBs. They simply develop more WRs than QB

DanRooney
06-19-2009, 06:17 PM

20 teams?

andyg1984
06-19-2009, 06:35 PM
20 teams?

yep, there are only so many QB's in this league that a team can realistically expect to win in the playoffs with,maybe i was exaggeratting- not that there are 20 teams dying for QB's but there are only so many good ones .. .. lol .. i would say probaly 15-18 .. i understand that teams hold more spots for WR's, but I do not know of any position more significant on a team than QB and I think that at the end of the day that when you look at what QB's do WR's are just so much more replaceable ..hope i did not get the conversation too far away from sweed w/ the qb/wr thing ..

Woodson_DownUnder
06-20-2009, 10:53 AM
He can catch a ball. Go watch vids with him on youtube. The guy has, or had, great hands but for some reason he is dropping the balls right now. I still think its way to early to mark him as a failure..

Luckily he has the unselfish attitude and with further guidance from Hines & Santonio, he can only IMPROVE from what he gave us in his rookie campaign. Glass HALF FULL not half empty. :tt02:

86WARD
06-20-2009, 01:33 PM
With Ward and Holmes' guidance and the raw talent that Sweed has, if Limas fails, it will be EPIC...he wouldn't succeed any where if he can't succeed in Pittsburgh...

As for the drops...concentration young man, concentration. Watch the ball into your hands and through the tuck.

CaliforniaSean
06-30-2009, 10:22 PM
sweed is another keyshawn johnson......a great big bust!!!

K Train
06-30-2009, 10:26 PM
you think keyshawn johnson is a bust?

and you think a late second round pick is comparable to first overall?

LatrobePA
07-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Sweed will click come TC....He needs more time with Ben!