PDA

View Full Version : Who do we keep, who do we cut?

JensK
06-05-2009, 09:12 AM
A pretty good article about who we'll keep and who we'll cut:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/6/1/895606/steelers-nearing-extension-season

ejsteeler
06-05-2009, 01:19 PM
That was a good article, thanks for posting up. I can honestly say I agree with everything he said.

DanRooney
06-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Willie Colon better be gone

Zachintosh66
06-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Stapleton better be gone... Stapleton couldnt carry Colons jock strap

greg1964
06-05-2009, 03:07 PM
FWP: will be gone unless Mendenhall ends up on IR again. If Mendenhall shows any ability this year; FWP will be gone or the backup in following seasons. But two pro-bowls, two Super Bowls in five years isn’t bad.

Max Starks: his status as Steelers will depend on him: The Steelers will attempt to resign him, but they have already committed over 16 million to him over the last two years. If he is looking for a contract with a large signing bonus, he already has it. Besides Essex and Hill will be pushing for either tackle position this year of next. When Essex plays he not that bad, and from all that I reading Hill is a nature at LT.

Casey Hampton: again, this will depend on what Hampton wants: if he wants to be one of the highest paid DL in the league, continue to show up for training camp out of shape, then he will be gone. KH is a two down player, although a BIG part of what the Steelers do in stopping the run. But when Chris Hoke is playing, there isn’t much of a drop off, if any. And for what NT are responsible for Hoke, Paxson, and/or Hood could spell the end for Hampton as a Steelers

Heath Miller: this is a no brainer: make him the highest TE in the league; He is better than Witten, Gates, Gonzalez or Winslow. The others are pass catching TE, but Miller is the complete package. BTW: if Johnson makes the team and can block, Miller will blow-up this year.

Ryan Clark: I hope he resign, but I like Mundy, But because of his physical style, I also hope he can stay healthy for many more years as a Steeler.

Jeff Reed: I’m not sure if he has ever missed a BIG kick with the Black and Gold. Resign, but next off-season. Then tender him high so someone would have to give up a first round pick to sign him. No one expect Oakland would give up a first round pick for a kicker, even someone as good as Reed.

Brett Keisel: I would resign him in a N.Y. minute. With all three starter over 30, what the Steelers need is some younger players to rotate in without a drop off in production. No, Keisel isn’t going to have large stats, but that not what the Steelers require of their DE. The problem has been everyone expection, because people though Keisel was going be a large sack player, but that not his role on this team, but remember the Steelers have had the #1 defense 3 out of the last four years, and Keisel has been as much a part of that and Hampton, Smith or the LB’s.

Justin Hartwig: It was hard for me to truly evaluate him last year, because I was just so happy that Mahan was gone. I can’t say that Hartwig will ever reach the status of Webster, Dawson or Hartings, but I also can’t say he can’t. I know the Steelers liked Stapleton as a Center and drafted home town hero A.Q. Shipley, Hartwig future with the Steelers may have more to do with how the teams fills about Urbik. If Urbik can win the RG position, than Stapleton can move to center, and make Hartwig expendable.

Willie Colon: his future will depend on what happen with Starks: If Starks leaves next season, Hills or Essex will play LT next year, meaning Colon could keep his position. If Starks resigns Starks, Hills or Essex will play RT next year and Colon could be gone as a tackle. But if Hartwig is NOT resigned, Colon could be resigned as a backup guard.

The Steelers preach position flexibility:
Starks and Colon as starting tackles: key backups: Essex and Hills
Kemo, and Urbik as starting guards, key backup: Colon Essex, Stapleton or Foster
Hartwig as starting center: key backups: Stapleton and Shipply

BlackGold4vr
06-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Here's a novel idea. Why don't we let their performance in training camp dictate who stays and who goes? :yesnod:

Zachintosh66
06-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Here's a novel idea. Why don't we let their performance in training camp dictate who stays and who goes? :yesnod:

I wish we could do that for the latest draft class as well...:yellowthumb:

Woodson_DownUnder
06-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanx greg1964 for your lowdown. Great reading. I'm one of those few who BELIEVE that without a so-so O line, Big Ben may not have become the better QB he has established himself to be. Hiding behind the pocket like P Manning & Brady is one thing but gauging greatness isn't about 'pass completion percentages' it's more about 'comeback wins' and making Big Plays in the clutch/ under the pump. Another ring this season and much more of the media will have to admit Big Ben is a much more versatile QB than P Manning & Brady.. I already know Ben is .. but 'rings' count more to others who remain unconvinced. :2cents:

DanRooney
06-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Stapleton better be gone... Stapleton couldnt carry Colons jock strap

Yeah unfortunately Colon is at the wrong ****ing position

slashsteel
06-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't mind if Colon & Stapleton was replaced. But someones going to have to prove they are a better option on the field in pads for me to be calling for their job.

andyg1984
06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I would not mind Stapleton as the back-up of the future at C/RG .. Between Kemo (recently signed), Urbik(eventual starter) and Stapleton I think the idea of Colon at RG are done and his days as a Steeler are numbered .. After watching Hartings for so long Hartwig really sucks too .. haha .. I think highly drafted Center and RT w/in two years is what we need to do in this department