PDA

View Full Version : Type of penalities depict teams frustration

BlitzburghRockCity
11-08-2006, 09:49 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06312/736474-66.stm

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers had two unnecessary-roughness penalties Sunday against Denver that added to their pile of naughty penalties. Coach Bill Cowher believes they may come from frustration.

"I don't think there's any question there's some frustration involved with that," Cowher said. "But you've got to maintain your cool."

The Steelers also committed two unsportsmanlike-conduct penalties in Oakland, one of which cost Joey Porter a $15,000 fine from the league for saying something to the officials.

Fox Sports reported that Porter told an official he was "coming after him or something along those lines."

Cowher said he did not know if the fine was deserved and that Porter will "go through the appeals process, and we'll go from there."

The Steelers have committed the third-fewest penalties in the NFL, 35, but they have had some notable extra-curricular penalties not of the holding or offside variety. Twice, they have been flagged for celebration fouls and another time for taunting an injured foe.

"You've got to be able to deal with a little adversity," Cowher said. "It's not the situation, it's how you respond to that. Certainly, at this point, we have not responded very well."

Against Denver, James Farrior drew a penalty for kicking Broncos center Tom Nahlen and rookie Anthony Smith drew another for pushing after the whistle.

"We addressed them and talked about it," Cowher said. "James lost his cool. Anthony Smith was kind of a push.

"They're calling games close. There's been a lot more personal foul calls in the league this year, not so much from that standpoint, but there have been more taunting calls, celebration calls, which people are interpreting as that. That's fine, that's the way it should be in our league, I don't have a problem with that. We've got to use better judgment. I concur with that assessment."

This team seems to be assessing itself these penalites every game now, and sometimes several a game which is just ridiculous. I know they are frustrated with the season but all these penalites makes us stoop to the Raiders level. This team needs to get mad and pissed off and play that way, but with a controlled aggression, not an uncontrolled stupid penalty that gives the offense the ball back and keeps our D on the field.

AZ_Steeler
11-08-2006, 10:54 AM
The one thing that stuck out to me is the Steelers have the 3rd lowest penalties in the NFL. That shows this team is very disciplined so why all the turnovers? They almost have as many turnovers than they do penalties :dunno: doesn't add up unless they are blowing these games on purpose to give themselves a real challenge this year!

The big problem is of the 35 penalties at least a third of them of the big 15+ yarder types! Those are as bad as turnovers because rather than getting the ball back they are giving their opponents a free first down!

BBG7
11-08-2006, 02:10 PM
The big problem is of the 35 penalties at least a third of them of the big 15+ yarder types! Those are as bad as turnovers because rather than getting the ball back they are giving their opponents a free first down!

I completely agree....but to me this is the sign that they are not playing diciplined football. These are penalties that are uncharacteristic of the Steelers...and costing us a lot.

SteelerFan87
11-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Maybe it's overconfidence? They're a good team and they know it, so, while they don't hold or jump offsides or interfere with passes, they're overconfident and thus don't take care of the football. Maybe it's kind of like a "hey, we just won the Super Bowl and everything we touch turns to gold. It doesn't matter if I hold the ball recklessly, because nothing's going to happen", and then of course, someone hits them and they fumble.