PDA

View Full Version : Will the Pens win 1 game?

LatrobePA
06-01-2009, 09:21 AM
They're playing hard BUT not making the shots. Osgood that good? Or are they just getting the lucky bounces?? Looks like a replay of last year!

Lets go Pens!

LarryNJ
06-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Osgood has played great and MAF hasn't. That's the difference so far. They have had their chances and will continue to get them. I don't know if they will win 4 out of 5 but I think they will win a game or 2.

Prosdo
06-01-2009, 10:02 AM
They will win both home games to get back in the series. Detroit has had some lucky bounces. Also Letang needs to stop fumbling the puck. He does it so much lately then everyone has to pull out of the zone and regroup. I wouldn't be surprised to see Petr Sykora come in either. Just to see if he is out of his slump.

BR7
06-01-2009, 10:31 AM
MAF is letting in some garbage shots and Detroit seems to be getting the lucky bounces. Detroit is playing hard and I would have thought the Pens would have taken one game, but now I'm doubtful they can win 4 of 5.

LatrobePA
06-01-2009, 11:44 AM
MAF is the diffrence maker IMO like said above. He has let the easy ones by and making stops on the hard ones...He's got to get his head out of his *** if we stand a chance.

IMO the wings are playing shady, Z covering the puck was BS should of been a P shot for us but no call, two nights in a row this has happened, not saying we'd won or even made the shot but you never know.

lloydfan4life
06-01-2009, 01:04 PM
MAF is letting in some garbage shots and Detroit seems to be getting the lucky bounces. Detroit is playing hard and I would have thought the Pens would have taken one game, but now I'm doubtful they can win 4 of 5.

:iagree:
Pens need to get their collective asses in gear and play like they're capable of playing or they can kiss the Cup goodbye again this year.

BR7
06-01-2009, 02:03 PM
The no call penalty on Detroits second goal was bs. Definately slashing. There was another interference call that wasn't called as well.

Are you referring to when the puck landed on Osgood's back and Z covered it up?

LatrobePA
06-01-2009, 02:15 PM
The no call penalty on Detroits second goal was bs. Definately slashing. There was another interference call that wasn't called as well.

Are you referring to when the puck landed on Osgood's back and Z covered it up?

Yes, and again last night when he laid in the crease and used his left hand to cover. They read the NHL rules, only the goalie can cover the puck...That's just the lucky bounces they have been getting. I hope that crap ends at home! 2:2 going back to MI would be nice. Win there come home and win for the cup!

steelerfan11
06-01-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't know the rules as well as others due to only watching hockey for a little. But aren't the wings causing interference almost every time down the ice for the pens? I know there was an obvious interference call that the refs missed last night but it seems like every time Crosby tries to skate into the wings end hit is held. Please correct me if I am wrong.

BR7
06-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I don't think he covered it up when he was laying in the crease. The puck seemd to be under Oz. Z (and I forget who else) jumped into the net like human barricades. He may have been covering it up, but I don't think anyone knew where the puck was until they piled off. Was a weird play none the less.

I'm sure hockey is like football where there is holding on every play, some get called, some do not. Sid isn't getting the calls, so maybe they aren't as obvious at full speed like it is to us who see the slow-mo replays.

Regardless, the next two are must wins to have a remote chance of pulling this out.

LarryNJ
06-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I don't know the rules as well as others due to only watching hockey for a little. But aren't the wings causing interference almost every time down the ice for the pens? I know there was an obvious interference call that the refs missed last night but it seems like every time Crosby tries to skate into the wings end hit is held. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It's sort of like holding in football. You could call holding on every play but the usually only call the very obvious ones. (except when the lineman is holding Harrison than they seldom call it) :yesnod:

The refs aren't doing that bad of a job. It comes down to making the most of your chances which the Pens aren't. Hitting cross bars, missing break aways, ect. MAF also really needs to step up big time. We are playing a great team, anything less than your best won't cut it. The Redwings aren't the Flyers, Caps or Hurricanes.

steelerfan11
06-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks BR7 and LarryNJ. I feel stupid asking these questions sometimes..lol

Steelerlyn
06-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Some of you sound like Brown/Bengal/Raven _____________insert team fans when you lose to the Steelers. The Wingz are the hardest playing team in the NHL, like the Steelers of football.
They keep coming and coming and coming and the team they are playing has to bring their A game everytime they play or they will lose to the Wingz.

LatrobePA
06-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Some of you sound like Brown/Bengal/Raven _____________insert team fans when you lose to the Steelers. The Wingz are the hardest playing team in the NHL, like the Steelers of football.
They keep coming and coming and coming and the team they are playing has to bring their A game everytime they play or they will lose to the Wingz.

Your location is noted thanks for the smart *** post! The wings are getting lucky, pucks bouncing their way both games. YES they are out playing the Pens in some areas, but this team will find a way to win a few, may go to the 7th...

LarryNJ
06-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Some of you sound like Brown/Bengal/Raven _____________insert team fans when you lose to the Steelers.

I think that's a little harsh Lyn! :) We all know how good the Redwings are and we also stated that we have to play our A game to beat them. And ANY team that wins a championship needs lucky breaks along the way.

Steelerlyn
06-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Your location is noted thanks for the smart *** post! The wings are getting lucky, pucks bouncing their way both games. YES they are out playing the Pens in some areas, but this team will find a way to win a few, may go to the 7th...

That is far from a smart *** post it is an HONEST post. When your team loses it is always because the other team "got lucky" never because the team that won was a better team. What the hell does my "location " have to do with anything? I have been a Wingz fan all my life. Everyone who has been here fir any period of time knows that

--- Added 6/1/2009 at 02:52 PM ---

I think that's a little harsh Lyn! :) We all know how good the Redwings are and we also stated that we have to play our A game to beat them. And ANY team that wins a championship needs lucky breaks along the way.

No larry it is not harsh, I am looking at it from a different team's point of view. You don't win 11 Stanley Cups because of "luck"

Prosdo
06-01-2009, 05:16 PM
The only call I had a problem with was the slashing because it was pretty obvious because the stick broke. Pens are playing hard, but the pucks just aren't going in. That's going to change tomorrow night. As far as people referring to the lucky bounces I think it would be very unrealistic to say they never play a factor. Do I think they are the difference. Not necessarily in the way everyone is saying. They have a few goals that took a lucky bounce, problem is Pens have been letting it get to them. But not every goal was a lucky bounce or took an odd bounce. They'll regroup at home.

steelerfan11
06-01-2009, 08:15 PM
I have another question...I have heard a lot of people talk about the Wings Boards being bouncy (I think that is right). Shouldn't all the boards in the NHL be the same? If not I would think they should be due to making the game as fair as possible.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
The past 11 Stanley Cups won by the Wings have nothing to do with this current Series....lol The Wings havn't been lucky by no means.....They are the defending Champs and have out played the Pens so far in two games.....But I don't think its been by that large of a margain......The Pens have has their share of shots clang of the goal post (especially last night)......That is not an excuse but a fact.....lol

Osgood has been his rock steady self as a goal tender for the Wings but that is expected.......The Pens need to step up and win these next two to make it a series....

Steel Trap86
06-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Hell yes they will win a game!! I really didnt think they would go down 2-0 in the series though, Detroit has defenatley been outplaying them regardless of a couple lucky bounces and missed penalties. Pens were in this same situation with the Caps, down 2-0 in the series and they came back and won 3 straight before taking game 7 didnt they? The series isnt over, but they HAVE to win this next game to get back in it. I really dont want to see Zetterberg lift it again, Lets go PENS!!!!

yinzer
06-01-2009, 11:12 PM
MAF is gonna have to steal a game for us to have a chance.

LarryNJ
06-02-2009, 04:11 AM
That is far from a smart *** post it is an HONEST post. When your team loses it is always because the other team "got lucky" never because the team that won was a better team. What the hell does my "location " have to do with anything? I have been a Wingz fan all my life. Everyone who has been here fir any period of time knows that

--- Added 6/1/2009 at 02:52 PM ---

No larry it is not harsh, I am looking at it from a different team's point of view. You don't win 11 Stanley Cups because of "luck"

I agree that you are looking at from a different point of view, but I still don't see where you come up with your view. Who here has said anything about the Redwings not being a good team or being lucky to have won? Saying a team got a few lucky breaks along the way to winning a championship does not mean they were lucky to have won.

Maybe harsh was the wrong word to use, I'd say it was more a gratuitious post.

BR7
06-02-2009, 11:36 AM
I have another question...I have heard a lot of people talk about the Wings Boards being bouncy (I think that is right). Shouldn't all the boards in the NHL be the same? If not I would think they should be due to making the game as fair as possible.

I don't think thats true. I think thats someones way of bitching about that goal in game 1 that bounced off the straight board and hit MAF's leg and riccoched in the net.

The only thing that I recall hearing about making it 'unfair' to another team was in the '95/'96 Championship. It was rumored that the Florida Panthers kept the arena a little warmer (than Colorado) to make the ice surface 'slower' for the speedy Avalanche. If they did do it or not, it didn't work. They lost the cup 4 - 0. lol.

GoBenGo
06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
lots of bad breaks so far....unfortunate bouncesfor MAF....fortunate bounces for OZ...lots of no-calls....been a frustrating 2 games thus far...
that being said it cannot continue...pens are too good and getting chances...these chances will start to payoff...and the Work boots luck WILL change...

IMHO (in my homer opinion)...pens win out....

can't wait for the game 2nite!!!!!! C'MON PENS!!!!

yinzer
06-02-2009, 04:23 PM
no excuses, guys. the pens need to get pissed off and play hockey.

Stlrs4Life
06-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Simply put, we need to shoot the puck even more. Detroit wastes no time in shooting the puck. We are too busy tring to make that pretty pass and pretty goal. Detroit got there chances, and burried them. We simply haven't. I look to see this series tied back up and going back to Detroit, where we will have to win regardless.

LarryNJ
06-02-2009, 08:08 PM
The only thing that I recall hearing about making it 'unfair' to another team was in the '95/'96 Championship. It was rumored that the Florida Panthers kept the arena a little warmer (than Colorado) to make the ice surface 'slower' for the speedy Avalanche. If they did do it or not, it didn't work. They lost the cup 4 - 0. lol.

Reminds me of the Steelers watering down the Raiders side of the field in the playoffs in the 70's... you gotta love the rumors! :)

steelerfan11
06-02-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't think thats true. I think thats someones way of bitching about that goal in game 1 that bounced off the straight board and hit MAF's leg and riccoched in the net.

So the boards are not regulated in any way...I am just wondering that is all. Heck idk if the boards are wood or fiberglass or what...I would think different thicknesses/wood type would change how the puck reacts when it bounces off it. Just curious though.

yinzer
06-02-2009, 08:22 PM
So the boards are not regulated in any way...I am just wondering that is all. Heck idk if the boards are wood or fiberglass or what...I would think different thicknesses/wood type would change how the puck reacts when it bounces off it. Just curious though.

apparently, the pens practiced preparing for the hard shots of the boards. apparently...

Steelerlyn
06-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Reminds me of the Steelers watering down the Raiders side of the field in the playoffs in the 70's... you gotta love the rumors! :)

LOL yeah I remember reading about the Raiders/Steeler series and it was hilarious. Madden hated us for that and actually all the ground crew was doing was watering down the ice to MELT it. Madden thought the ground crew was MAKING ice. Being from CA he had no clue. I am in MI and we water ice down to melt it so it made sense to me :) LOL Pittsburgh and MI weather are very similiar.

Steel Trap86
06-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Well they took it to the wings tonight!

LarryNJ
06-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Well they took it to the wings tonight!
I missed the entire game because my daughters flight was delayed almost 2 hours. :(

LOL yeah I remember reading about the Raiders/Steeler series and it was hilarious. Madden hated us for that and actually all the ground crew was doing was watering down the ice to MELT it. Madden thought the ground crew was MAKING ice. Being from CA he had no clue. I am in MI and we water ice down to melt it so it made sense to me :) LOL Pittsburgh and MI weather are very similiar.

Wow, I always believed Madden! Thanks for the explaination! So next winter when it snows I'll get out my hose for the driveway and sidewalk! :)

lloydfan4life
06-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Great win last night! :clap:
They started off a little slow but picked it up in the 2nd & 3rd periods.
Let's go Pens! Tie this series up tomorrow night.

Steel Trap86
06-04-2009, 03:32 AM
ya they defenatley have to tie it up before going back to detroit. if the wings win tomorrow then the cup would be on the line saturday IN detroit.

Prosdo
06-05-2009, 04:48 AM
Now it's a series. 2-2 and all the BS about the Red Wings being claimed the winners and better team after 2 games can stop. This is a best of 7 series. Let's Go Pens!

BR7
06-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Now it's a series. 2-2 and all the BS about the Red Wings being claimed the winners and better team after 2 games can stop. This is a best of 7 series. Let's Go Pens!

Best of 3 now ;)

Great game last night. :cope:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-05-2009, 09:18 AM
After the Wings jumped out to that 2-0 series lead most thought the Red Wings dominated which wasn't the case....Like I said earlier in this thread the Pens had alot of shots hit of the goal post and it was just a matter of time before they started to hit the net for goals......The Red Wings are a very good team but so are the Pens...Only problem for the Pens if they want to win the Stanley Cup then they will have to win at least on game on the Red Wings home ice......But this series will go 7 games for sure......I had the Pens winning in 7.......

LarryNJ
06-05-2009, 09:29 AM
It's great to see MAF and the D step up. Let's hope they can continue to do so in Detroit. The last 8 minutes of the game the Wings hardly ever had it in the offensive zone. Such a change from the other 3 series when we were leading it seemed like they had 15 shots in the last couple minutes. We have to win one there let's make it game 5! The Wings are going to come out a different team you can count on that, we are going to have to step it up another level or 2 if we want the cup.

LatrobePA
06-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Wings are still out shooting us, MAF needs to stay on his game...Lets go Pens!

Steelerlyn
06-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I missed the entire game because my daughters flight was delayed almost 2 hours. :(

Wow, I always believed Madden! Thanks for the explaination! So next winter when it snows I'll get out my hose for the driveway and sidewalk! :)

As you know, in the winter, you do not leave your hose out. This was used at the stadium for such purposes and others. We use a snow shovel and salt to remove the ice and I am sure you do too :)

BTW, great game Pens!~

Steel Trap86
06-06-2009, 12:36 AM
If the Pens win in Detroit saturday night, they play for the cup in pittsburgh in game 6 and I guarentee you they take it...IF they win tomorrow