PDA

View Full Version : Rematch Pens vs Wings

Prosdo
05-28-2009, 09:10 PM
So the Pens will be facing the Wings again in the Stanley Cup finals. Bring it!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/Prosdo/ourfinesthourjpg.jpg

Steelerlyn
05-28-2009, 09:14 PM
if I were a Pens fan I would want them to face the Wingz

BlacknGold Bleeder
05-28-2009, 10:02 PM
We do want to face them !! Another little redbird on a Pittsburgh team menu !!

LET'S GO PENS

WELCOME TO
STICKSBURG!!

LarryNJ
05-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Of course you want to face them. I don't think it will be a better sereis than the Caps, but "Get in the fast lane Grandma, the bingo game is ready to roll.

Bettis "It's time for Pens to win it" and the Redwings fans respond! hahahaha....sort of how I felt about Cowher!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090528/SPORTS05/90528071

Steel Trap86
05-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Last year Detroit was the better team going into the series, but not this year. Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Gonchar Fleury, they're all ready to go, as is Detroit, but the Pens are more familiar with the Red Wings now and played them twice in the regular season. I think they are the hotter team and take the Cup in 6 games

Black@Gold Forever32
05-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Pens in 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Pens bring home a third championship to the city of Pittsburgh in four years......Next up for a championship is the Pirates.....lol To bad we all will be waiting forever for the Pirates to win a World Series....lol

Captcoolhand
05-30-2009, 08:13 AM
As Bookie, i was reading the lines for today (5/30) game. and I couldn't believe that you can actually bet on rather or not An Octopus is thrown on the ice...... :scratch:

Has anyone every seen/heard about such a thing being done or does this octopus stand for something symbolic. :dunno:

I just thought it was pretty odd that a team would do this and for what purpose behind doing this was. If anyone watches the game tonight and they see it on TV would you be so kind to let me know.... Thanks. :yellowthumb:

BR7
05-30-2009, 09:11 AM
wiki

Fan tradition: The Octopus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Red_Wings#Fan_tradition:_The_Octopus)
Main article: Legend of the Octopus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Octopus)

The "Legend of the Octopus" is a sports tradition during Detroit Red Wings playoff games, in which an octopus is thrown onto the ice surface for good luck.

During the playoffs, Joe Louis Arena is generally adorned with a giant octopus with red eyes, nicknamed "Al" after Joe Louis Arena head ice manager Al Sobotka.

The 1952 playoffs featured the start of the tradition—the octopus throw. The owner of a local fish market, Peter Cusimano, threw one from the stands onto the ice. The eight legs were purportedly symbolic of the eight wins it took to win the Stanley Cup at the time. The Red Wings went on to sweep both of their opponents that year en route to a Stanley Cup championship. The NHL has, at various times, tried to eliminate this tradition but it continues to this day.

There is a certain etiquette that must be followed for fans that wish to throw octopuses onto the ice. The most appropriate time to throw an octopus onto the ice is after the national anthem is sung or after the Red Wings have scored a goal. Under these circumstances, the eight-legged creature must be thrown onto the ice surface in an area that is clear of all players. It is never acceptable to aim for opposing players. Beforehand, octopuses are usually boiled to reduce the amount of "slime" coating and facilitate the time it takes to clean up the ice and prevent further delay. Since Joe Louis Arena does not condone the throwing of any foreign objects onto the ice, fans often sneak the sea creatures in wrapped around their bellies in trash bags. The boiling process also lessens the odor and allows the fans to get past security. Tactics are also used to protect the identity of octopus-throwers from arena security. It is common practice for the hurler to ask the surrounding people to stand up with him to shroud the task in anonymity.

Al Sobotka is the man responsible for removing the thrown creatures from the ice. He is known for swinging the tossed octopuses above his head when walking off the ice. On April 19, 2008, NHL director of hockey operations Colin Campbell sent a memo to the Detroit Red Wings organization that forbids Zamboni drivers from cleaning up any octopuses thrown onto the ice and that violating the mandate would result in a $10,000 fine. Instead, it will be the linesmen who will perform this duty. In an email to the Detroit Free Press NHL spokesman Frank Brown justified the ban because "matter flies off the octopus and gets on the ice" when Al Sobotka does it. This ban, however, was later loosened to allow for the octopus twirling to take place at the zamboni entrance.

---------------------------------------------------

Pens in SIX.

Captcoolhand
05-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the Info, I never heard of such traditions. :D
Also explains why the odds of it happening sucks at 1/800

steelerfan11
05-30-2009, 10:05 PM
I thought the red wings alway threw an octopus onto the ice at their home games...

Last year when the Pens played the wings in the finals everyone in the city was forbidden to sell any octopi (is that right) to any red wing fans. It was all over the radio and news..lol

steelersgal86
05-31-2009, 08:49 AM
:rofl: Capt I thought you were bullshitting me :rofl:

Captcoolhand
05-31-2009, 09:08 AM
:rofl: Capt I thought you were bullshitting me :rofl:
I tried to tell you.........:rant2: :rant2: :rant2: :rant2: :rant2:

steelersgal86
05-31-2009, 09:12 AM
I tried to tell you.........:rant2: :rant2: :rant2:

:rofl: I know you did...but I thought you were just messing with me...it just didnt sound right....sorry :hugs: :rofl:

Captcoolhand
05-31-2009, 09:19 AM
:rofl: I know you did...but I thought you were just messing with me...it just didnt sound right....sorry :hugs: :rofl:Don't be sorry, you know me and how much I like to get **** started.........:D :stirpot:

steelersgal86
05-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Don't be sorry, you know me and how much I like to get **** started.........:D :stirpot:

Exactly my point :duh: sometimes I can never tell :lol: then I started reading this and I was like :wtf: he was serious :lol:

Captcoolhand
05-31-2009, 09:34 AM
Exactly my point :duh: sometimes I can never tell :lol: then I started reading this and I was like :wtf: he was serious :lol:well you see how I got **** stater in the Cowher thread......:rofl:

:threadjack:

steelersgal86
05-31-2009, 09:37 AM
well you see how I got **** stater in the Cowher thread......:rofl:

:yesnod: it did not surprise me....:rofl: I just think it is funny, how you make your comments and people get soooo pissed :rofl:I just read them and laugh....

LarryNJ
06-01-2009, 08:22 AM
A terrible weekend for the Pens. They seem to be getting the chances but not taking advantage of them or getting the lucky bounces that every team needs to win a championship. We dug out of a hole like this against the caps, the difference here is the Redwings are a much better team. We need to win both at home, let's start tomorrow!

BR7
06-01-2009, 09:32 AM
One octopus hit the ice last night. Might have been more, but I turned it off after they scored the third goal.

Scorp
06-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Take these broken wings and throw them to the dogs. Give me that octopus for a massive seafood cocktail i'm making for all my fellow SteelerAddicts. Get in line and grab a cool one cause this is going to be a championship to remember.....just like the super bowl!

GO PENGUINS!!!! GO PENGUINS!!!! GO PENGUINS!!!! GO PENGUINS!!!!

LarryNJ
06-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Hockeytown?? I know Detroit likes to call itself hockeytown, I always thought it was because they like hockey so much there. I guess that's not the case.

Game 4 on Versus Thursday night received a 14.7 average rating in Detroit and a 27.5 in Pittsburgh, according to Nielsen Media Research. Versus was the top-rated network (broadcast and cable) for the time period in both markets.

LarryNJ
06-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Well that game lastnight was nothing short of embarassing. There's nothing to say except for the Pens got it handed to them. Put it behind you win game 6 and see what happens in game 7.

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-07-2009, 08:46 AM
5-0 or 1-0 , no difference still only counts as one loss. So far the home team wins which I hope the PENS can up hold Tuesday, then go back to Joe,break the cycle and win there. All the PENS got to do is still win one in Detroit, which is what we all knew they had to do from the beginning of this series.They proved they can beat Detroit 2 times in a row,now they need to do it ahain. They always play best when their backs are to the wall !! The fat lady maybe warming up but she don't know who she going to be singing for and I believe she will be singing in Detroit... for them wings !!

LET'S GO PENS !!!

lloydfan4life
06-07-2009, 09:10 PM
5-0 or 1-0 , no difference still only counts as one loss. So far the home team wins which I hope the PENS can up hold Tuesday, then go back to Joe,break the cycle and win there. All the PENS got to do is still win one in Detroit, which is what we all knew they had to do from the beginning of this series.They proved they can beat Detroit 2 times in a row,now they need to do it ahain. They always play best when their backs are to the wall !! The fat lady maybe warming up but she don't know who she going to be singing for and I believe she will be singing in Detroit... for them wings !!

LET'S GO PENS !!!

:iagree: although I hope they can shake off the funk that they played with last night!
They got their asses handed to them then lost control mentally.
Let's go Pens! Get your heads back in it and kick some Red Wing butt! :cope:

LatrobePA
06-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Will MAF be back in at goal? I hope so he needs to redeem himself.

Prosdo
06-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Will MAF be back in at goal? I hope so he needs to redeem himself.

I believe he will be. That game wasn't all on him. The Pens were taking way too many penalties.

LatrobePA
06-08-2009, 10:09 AM
I believe he will be. That game wasn't all on him. The Pens were taking way too many penalties.

Very true, but when there are 5 unanswered goals scored one can only imagine how the goalie feels...That was just a total melt down game, one that I hope has lit a flame under some asses!

LarryNJ
06-08-2009, 03:07 PM
There's no way MAF isn't in goal. I look for himm to have a great game tomorrow. If we win and go to game 7 I'm not as confident.

LatrobePA
06-08-2009, 04:04 PM
There's no way MAF isn't in goal. I look for himm to have a great game tomorrow. If we win and go to game 7 I'm not as confident.

I'm a little worried, they're in his head up there in the shithole state...

Scorp
06-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Penguins need to stay focused and stay disciplined and everything will go their way. You can do it Pens, Keep the faith, Don't stop believing.

Lunchbucket
06-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Penguins need to stay focused and stay disciplined and everything will go their way. You can do it Pens, Keep the faith, Don't stop believing.

I agree ,WE AIN'T DEAD YET!!!!:crossfingers:GO PENS

Stlrs4Life
06-09-2009, 11:00 PM
What a game! Taking it to 7! Anything can happen. We need 1 more game like that from MAF.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-09-2009, 11:16 PM
What a game! Taking it to 7! Anything can happen. We need 1 more game like that from MAF.

I agree 100 percent......Marc-Andre needs to have a shut out type performance in game 7 especially since the Pens have just scored two damn goals in three games in Detroit this series.......Great effort by the Pens tonight and I was very proud of them.....

BR7
06-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Two words..

ROB SCUDERI.

Great game 6. Especially the last 2 minutes. Scuderi saved an OT period. Not once, not twice, but three times. Agreed.. anything can happen in a game 7. MAF played brilliant and we need another great effort from him and the rest of the Pens.

Lunchbucket
06-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Scuderi,MAF,Orpik,Kennedy, Staal, and the rest of the team really stepped up tonight. I am so excited that we are going to the 7 th game and take the cup back to the Burgh!!!

LarryNJ
06-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Great game! MAF and the D was awesome. We are due to have a good game in Detriot. I can't wait to make another trip to Pgh for a celebration! :)

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-09-2009, 11:57 PM
GREAT GAME !!The Pens played together tonight and were rewarded. Now we go to a 7th where anything can happen!! I hope both teams have great game with no controversies and the PENS will bring home the Cup!!

LET'S GO PENS!!

Welcome to Sticksburgh Lord Stanley !!

Prosdo
06-10-2009, 02:12 AM
I think my heart stopped 10 times in those last 2 minutes. Wow Scuds saved our asses there. Let's go Pens! Now they are getting the respect they deserve. Everyone was oh so willing to say Detroit was the better team. Now everyone realizes this team is for real and they have learned from last year. This is a team to be reckoned with!

lloydfan4life
06-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Awesome game 6! Alot of good hitting by the Pens.

C'mon Pens, the Steelers came through, now let's bring home a second Championship to Pittsburgh this year!

LatrobePA
06-10-2009, 08:38 AM
SB 40 was won in Detroit, anyone else getting chills??? Pens have sucked all series long up there, now lets get a W there when it's all on the line, 1 game - 1 cup!

LETS GO PENS!

TampaSteelGirl
06-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Awesome game 6! Alot of good hitting by the Pens.

C'mon Pens, the Steelers came through, now let's bring home a second Championship to Pittsburgh this year!

Exactly!! I coudn't watch alot of it because I got so nervous! I'm so proud of them! Would love to see another championship come to Pittsburgh!!!

steelersgal86
06-10-2009, 11:54 AM
I am not much into Hockey...but that was an awesome game!!!!

LarryNJ
06-10-2009, 07:13 PM
I am not much into Hockey...but that was an awesome game!!!!

It has been an awesome post season for the Pens. What better than to beat the hated Flyers in 6 games and win the 6th in Philly after being down 3-0. For those of you who aren't hockey fans that is basically like being down 28-0 at halftime and coming ack to win in football. It wasn't long ago that having a 2 goal lead and the game was over.

Than on to Washington and beating the Caps in 7 games winnig the 7th in DC. That series was nothing short of awesome. You won't find many better 7 games anywhere.

The Carolina series was nothing like the first 2 but the finals have been great.

The Pens have clinched 3 series on the road. They know what they have to do to win and they are capable of doing it. The Redwings probably are the more talented team and really should win but I think the Pens win it 4-2 and the cup will make the Party Scene thru the Burgh.

There really isn't anything as good as the Stanley Cup playoffs in sports.

K Train
06-11-2009, 01:16 AM
game 7 is a different animal, its not just a road game in detroit anymore, everything is on the line and the team that makes the opponent lose poise and become desperate is the team to win. we stomped the **** out of the capitals in game 7, i just hope an early lead here and the wings will start to fall apart, its a veteren team but no team is above losing composure in a game 7

LatrobePA
06-11-2009, 08:42 AM
game 7 is a different animal, its not just a road game in detroit anymore, everything is on the line and the team that makes the opponent lose poise and become desperate is the team to win. we stomped the **** out of the capitals in game 7, i just hope an early lead here and the wings will start to fall apart, its a veteren team but no team is above losing composure in a game 7

You hit the nail right on the head! Very well said, we can pull this one off if we can make the old guys lose it this time!

The way I see it is, we have nothing to lose, they've already been crowned giving the road teams record this series...Go out play loose and have fun!

LarryNJ
06-11-2009, 10:59 AM
There is definetely more pressure on the Redwings. They are the favorites, they are home, they are expected to win. After the first 2 games they never thought it would go this far.

If the Pens can jump on them they will take away the home advantage and actually make it a disadvantage to the Redwings.

As Steeler fans we all know the feeling of losing at home when you should win. Even the Pens too, I don't remember the year but I remember Ed Jovanowski in his rookie year scoring from the red line on Tom Barasso and the Pens losing a game 7 at home.

Scorp
06-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I hope there will be some Steelers players at the game showing some support. Hell, maybe the pens should get a little pep talk from them about winning a big game such as one like friday. What does it take and how they must play. Pens have shown they can come back and win like in the washington series. To me they have shown themselves, the fans and the world how great they can play and what it takes to win when it counts.

We will see the Penguins bring home another championship!!!!! Third For The Burgh.

steelerfan11
06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
I would bet Lemieux will talk to the players right before they go onto the ice again Friday. That alone should fire them up. I really think if they come out and play like they did in game 6 they can win. Maybe it was just me but I don't know how much the red wings liked being hit as much and as hard as the pens did to them last game. I loved it! Reminded me of them playing against the flyers...lol

I think the pens can walk (skate) right up to the red wings and punch them in the mouth and it will shock them a little again and hopefully the pens can get a lead and hold onto it for a win.

According to the other boards I get on all the wings fans are already calling this game over (cocky bastards). I would love to see their mouths drop when they have to watch the pens skate around with Lord Stanley's Cup on their ice...plus watching Hossa shocked yet again :)

Black@Gold Forever32
06-11-2009, 07:13 PM
I picked the Pens in 7 games so I hope I'm right.......The Pens can win in Detroit.......They just have to avoid getting down by two goals.....The Wings are at their best when they have a two goal lead on their home ice......Flower is going to have be huge tomorrow night.......

Prosdo
06-11-2009, 09:59 PM
I agree they got to jump out to a lead and not let Detroit get more than a one goal lead. Detroit is very good at shutting it down and sitting back when they get that lead.

LarryNJ
06-12-2009, 06:57 AM
I would bet Lemieux will talk to the players right before they go onto the ice again Friday.

As it turns out, Penguins owner Mario Lemieux did not visit the team's dressing room before Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final.

He did, however, leave the players a re-assuring message on the dressing-room chalk board that day.

No player was willing to disclose the message or even confirm the mode by which it was delivered, but rest assured, it had an impact

Trib Article (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_629221.html)

I can't wait to hear what he wrote. :yellowthumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1LH1BwLLUo

Stlrs4Life
06-12-2009, 10:26 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_629221.html

Lunchbucket
06-12-2009, 11:19 PM
PENS WIN 2-1

Steelerlyn
06-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Awesome game, great hockey. Congratulations to all Pens fans, you were the better team tonight and tonight is when it mattered.
Me....the Wingz fan

LarryNJ
06-13-2009, 12:25 AM
It was a great series Lynn. The Wings are a class team from the top down. Well except for Hossa! ;) They have been there and done that many times recently, now it's the Pens turn!

The Cup Has Been Passed! :)