PDA

View Full Version : Could Steelers' Losing Streak Be A Mental Thing?

AZ_Steeler
11-07-2006, 11:08 AM
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/10256718/detail.html

PITTSBURGH -- Not even Nostradamus could have predicted the Steelers being 2-6 at this point in the season, let alone the Steelers faithful, but despite flashes of brilliance, their losing record continues to grow.

So what's wrong with our champs? Is it mental?

On Monday, WTAE Channel 4 Action News put the Steelers on the couch so some of Pittsburgh's sports psychologists could get inside their heads.

WTAE Channel 4 talked to psychologists who have studied the Steelers for a long time and they said the feelings and emotions we're talking about, on and off the field, are nothing new for the team and its fans.

Sports psychologist George Pappas has been following the Steelers for decades and believes the team is in good physical shape, but mentally, he said, the group just doesn't seem to be "gelling" as it has in past seasons.

"They're very frustrated and disappointed," said Pappas. "And they're very confident. They know they're a better team. They know they can beat any team out there."

Psychologist Paul Friday conceded a sense of letdown is inevitable for the team and its fans, especially following a Super Bowl year.

"Did we like the Super Bowl?" said Friday. "Of course we liked the Super Bowl. Was it unrealistic? It was absurd to be an underdog for all five games and win all five. That's absurd. To think it was going to continue, that's delusional."

"They're a resilient team," said Pappas. "And they've always come back when down, and they'll continue to do that. They're a really resilient team."

The therapists said fans still have reason to be optimistic. After all, the Steelers have a history of being underdogs.

How much longer do we as fans need to be optimistic? Gratned the Steelers do play better as underdogs, but at this point they need a lot of help from other teams not to mention an enourmous winning streak that needs to start and this team hasn't even won consecutive games.

I think I'm going to call a team meeting! :D

House of Steel
11-07-2006, 11:10 AM
May I join you on that one? Mind if I rip a can of whoop *** in this meeting? That is what it will take.

Friday133
11-07-2006, 11:34 AM
actually i'm getting tired of people thinking we still have a chance at the playoffs. reality is we don't, nor do we really deserve it either. we should just try to win some games and regroup for next season.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Well of course it's all psychological, that's a given if you ask me. It's a lack of concentration, attention to detail, not coming together as a team like we always do.

It's certainly not a lack of talent.