PDA

View Full Version : Ok can someone explain

Blitzburghpete
05-02-2009, 03:03 AM
Now i really like what our first pick can do, and has said. He looks a great athlete, smart kid, and no doubt is great at his position.

But the fact of the matter is at DT we have a 3-4 defence Casey Hampton at NT and as long as i'm still right, Chris Hoke as his backup, and Chris Hoke is quality.

So why did we pick ziggy hood as our number 1 pick ?

I don't get it unless i've got something wrong?

DE i could undestand but not a DT ???

DIESELMAN
05-02-2009, 08:03 AM
He can play inside or outside. The coaching staff, especially Mitchell feel he is athletic enough and strong enough to be a DE in our 3-4 system. Ziggy is 6'3" 300 lbs, Hampton is around 6'1" 325. Time will tell.....Mitchell feels he can coach him into the positions.

cmerrifield
05-02-2009, 08:39 AM
One more thing you must understand. In a 3-4 the DE's are the same size normally as a 4-3 DT. So you often see DT's drafted by 3-4 teams and moved to DE, which I think is the plan here. DE's that are drafted by us turn into OLB's. To be a NT, one has to be a HUGE DT. Like Hampton says 325, but in reality he is around 350. So we drafted a DE, now Tomlin said something like while he is learning the position, he may come in on passing downs where the Steelers only have two down lineman because of his great ability to passrush, but eventually I think they want him to replace Keisel or Smith.

Iron City South
05-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Imagine Hood and Woodley switching it up on who's going to bring the pressue? Opponents won't know if we're coming from the inside, outside, or both.

Blitzburghpete
05-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Ahh cheers guys that makes sense and i see what you mean now.

Video footage i've seen of him he does look more like a DT than a DE though

Stlrs4Life
05-02-2009, 02:16 PM
I also believe he can play behind Aaron Smith, who isn't getting any younger.

DahBurgh
05-05-2009, 01:00 PM
All the above are correct and not to mention were adding depth the Steelers know what there doing lets get number 7.

Blitzburghpete
05-05-2009, 02:46 PM
yeah my only stumbling block in all this is was this position our highest priority ? DL or DE to be more precise yes was a need, but my inexperience of your college teams lets me down here so i'll have to ask, was there any good OL picks still going at pick 32 especially G or T ?

K Train
05-05-2009, 04:41 PM
I also believe he can play behind Aaron Smith, who isn't getting any younger.

hes really not LDE material, he will almost certainly play on the weakside because he profiles to be similar to a finesse brett keisel more than the raw power of aaron smith.

and he will never play nose, ever

we got keisel in the 7th, let him play behind kimo for a few years and let him be a star on ST....we basically did the same thing for ziggy only were giving him a ton more money to chill on the bench