PDA

View Full Version : Steelers cut Retkofsky

Captcoolhand
04-30-2009, 09:03 AM
PITTSBURGH -- Two days before the start of mini camp, the Steelers made a roster move. On Wednesday, they cut long snapper Jared Retkofsky.

That means Friday on the first day of a mandatory three-day mini camp, the Steelers will have two long snappers on their roster.

One of them is Greg Warren, a fifth-year pro who's coming off a knee injury that forced him to miss the last nine games of the regular season last year and the three playoff games, including the Super Bowl.

The other is Mark Estermyer, an undrafted rookie who agreed to a free-agent contract Sunday night as Day 2 of the NFL Draft was ending. Estermyer is a graduate of Blackhawk High School who played at Pitt.

"I know those guys are on the roster," Estermyer said Sunday of Warren and Retkofsky. "But I really don't know how they're doing (physically). I'm just thankful for the opportunity. I can't wait to get started at mini camp."

Due to an elbow injury, Retkofsky missed both organized team activity workouts the Steelers held last week at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex. Retkofsky was present for those voluntary OTAs but couldn't practice because his right arm was in a sling. He was still recovering from an off-season motorcycle accident.

Warren, who's 6-foot-3 and 252 pounds, is due to make $650,000 this year

If Estermyer (6-1, 247) makes the team, he would probably be paid $310,000, the NFL minimum.Just an update, not sure anyone cares.....:dunno:

DahBurgh
04-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Whoever ends up being our long snapper lets just make sure we keep Harisson warmed up, just in case.

V_83
04-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Whoever ends up being our long snapper lets just make sure we keep Harisson warmed up, just in case.

:lol:

No offense to Harrison, but I hope I never seem him long snap again.

SteelCityKid5
04-30-2009, 08:39 PM
we need to find a solid back up punter .... good god, I cant take another Mitch Berger type player

Troyisabeast_43
04-30-2009, 09:19 PM
As long as Warren stays healthy which he probably will this season this position is pretty much a non-factor...Im sure if Warren by some miracle would go down again that Retkofsky would be one phone call away and probably be signed seeing that he did a good job filling in for Warren the rest of the season after he got hurt in the Giants game...

HUNT4SEVEN
04-30-2009, 10:02 PM
:lol:

No offense to Harrison, but I hope I never seem him long snap again.

Right, i rather they carry two long snappers just in case:lol:

Stlrs4Life
04-30-2009, 10:17 PM

Let's not go through that again!

greennick
05-01-2009, 04:00 AM
we need to find a solid back up punter .... good god, I cant take another Mitch Berger type player

You don't want 2 spots on your 53 man roster taken up by Punters...

Are there any punters that are better available anyway? You would think we would have signed them last year then....

SteelerSal
05-01-2009, 09:19 AM
"Warren, who's 6-foot-3 and 252 pounds, is due to make $650,000 this year"

Pretty good chunk of change for a long snapper. I bet we will see the other kid do most of the snaps in preseason because if he does any good i doubt they will keep Warren and pay all that money.IMO

igor0190
05-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Retkofsky could have kept his job if he didn't ride a motorcycle.

Blitzburghpete
05-02-2009, 04:39 AM
I'm 6 foot 1, 245lbs, pay me half what he was doing and i'll snap the ball. Easiest job in football!!!

( and yes i have played kitted football too )

Zachintosh66
05-07-2009, 01:14 PM
hmmm... half a year in the NFL for the Pittsburgh Steelers and all I got was this lousy ring!

Silverback
05-07-2009, 03:45 PM
hmmm... half a year in the NFL for the Pittsburgh Steelers and all I got was this lousy ring!
Ahaha, I never thought of that. Jared Retkofsky has a SB ring for snapping the ball a handful of times. Marino had it all wrong.

redtornadosteeler21
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
speaking of silverbacks wonderful long snapping ability....a giants fan i work with after that game told me that play had NOTHING to do with the outcome of the game. i almost got in a fight at work i swear....i told him i will NEVER talk sports with him again because he is an idiot and knows nothing about football!!