PDA

View Full Version : Larry Foote to be cut?...Update: Steelers Make It Official

igor0190
04-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Just heard on ESPN 1250 that "The Steelers are poised to cut ties with Larry Foote"

Why didn't we try and trade him for something?????

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have officially released linebacker Larry Foote.

In a statement released by the team, Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert wished Foote well.

"Larry has been a big part of our success, but unfortunately the realities of the salary cap made this decision inevitable. We wish Larry and his family nothing but the best as he moves forward with his career."

Foote was scheduled to earn close to $3 million in base salary in the final year of his contract, but with the emergence of Lawrence Timmons, Foote wanted out of

Pittsburgh so he could seek a more significant role with another team. Foote, a part of the Steelers championship teams from Super Bowl XL and XLIII, will be 29-years-old in June.

DahBurgh
04-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Did something happen that were going to cut him, I dont understand why we wouldnt have at least tried to trade him. This does not seem to make much sence unless were in cap trouble or possibly looking to sign a free agent of some sort.

K Train
04-28-2009, 02:05 PM
this would make alot of sense if maualuga was a steeler

Zachintosh66
04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Why Mal? We got Timmons...

Mal had character probs which explain why he is in Cinci now...

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2009, 02:41 PM
The thing is, last year Timmons couldn't beat out Foote completely to take the starting job so they split time all year. The team must feel that Timmons is ready to take over beside Farrior and because Foote is an aging veteran who probably won't want to play backup they will more than likely have to cut him. It will save cap space Im sure but on the flip side our depth at LB just went to hell in a hand basket. If Im them I try to keep Foote if at all possible because there's not much NFL experience in the Steelers system behind Timmons if Foote goes.

cmerrifield
04-28-2009, 02:53 PM
I read on ESPN.com that he has officially been cut. I am shocked they didnt trade him. I would have thought somebody would have given up like a 4th rounder or something. But oh well. I guess that is business. I am excited to see Timmons in the role all the time, but I hope we have no injuries at LB.

Friday133
04-28-2009, 02:55 PM

This is why I stopped posting on message boards...............

V_83
04-28-2009, 03:00 PM

I thought the exact same thing.

Iron City South
04-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Two things:

1) Timmons is ready

and

2) Cap room ... They need to begin getting to work signing this new draft class.

Iron City South
04-28-2009, 03:24 PM
No more Foote stomp. Damn, it's too bad. The guy played far bigger than his size and contributed well for us over the years.

Later Larry. Thanks for the memories! :helmet::tt02:

From RotoWorld:

Steelers released ILB Larry Foote.

Pittsburgh will use the $2.885 million it saved with this move to sign its rookie class. Foote, 29, is a Michigan native and is expected to sign with the Lions. Detroit passed on middle linebackers in the draft, taking only Wisconsin OLB DeAndre Levy. Foote wouldn't have any trouble starting there. Apr. 28 - 1:38 pm et

--- Added 4/28/2009 at 01:24 PM ---

http://cdbaker.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/img9090536da1.jpg
http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2007-w45/img.61120_t.jpg
http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2005-10/20256205.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0c4igsf2FD8GK/340x.jpg

Cheers Larry!
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2008/06/larry-foote-benching.jpg

DahBurgh
04-28-2009, 03:33 PM
I just read it on ESPN.com I had to search for his name though. Thats kinda sad and I hope he does well regardless of where he lands, although for his sake I hope its soemwhere better than the Lions. Good luck thats for all your effort.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-28-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm gonna miss Foote....when Haggins left i could care less...but Foote was solid. Good news we'll be seeing alot more Timmons.:cope:

Tr305
04-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Good look to you mr. foote heres hoping this wasnt a mistake

NorCalSteel
04-28-2009, 03:49 PM
wow I never saw that one coming. I am a little sad to see him go he was a very solid player. They must think Fox can handle the back up roll .

Thank you Larry Foote :beer2:

LatrobePA
04-28-2009, 04:25 PM
We can watch him play in AZ!

I had the chance to meet Larry and shake his hand after the first SB he's a class act, took time to tease the kids, great guy!!

TampaSteelGirl
04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I"m pretty pissed about this release!!!! :rant2:

TampaSteelGirl
04-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Just sucks!! :evilshake:

K Train
04-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Why Mal? We got Timmons...

Mal had character probs which explain why he is in Cinci now...

timmons and maualuga would be disgusting. farrior is old and rey is a LB in that mold, a big, fast, thumper, a true head hunter....you need one of those espcially if you have a guy like timmons

overal hes a good kid, he is immature but on a team like this that changes and you guys know it. desean jackson was immautre but the eagles beat him into shape...it depends on the atmosphere.

i read today that the steelers front office said ziggy is light years from playing....that shouldnt be the case....it took 5 years for harrison and keisel to crack the starting lineup but damn one was undrafted and one was a 7TH rounder.

no player except QBs should be drafted with the intentions of sitting for years, i bet ziggy doesnt dress for one game this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Man Im going to miss Foote, he was always a favorite player of mine. Never the biggest, strongest, or fastest, but just a football who gave it his all and great teammate in the locker room :(

K Train
04-28-2009, 05:24 PM
AZ or detriot

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-28-2009, 05:30 PM
no player except QBs should be drafted with the intentions of sitting for years, i bet ziggy doesnt dress for one game this year.

Well if he doesn't that means we didn't have any devastating injurys on the Dline and that would be a good thing.If someone goes down and Ziggy has a good camp i bet he gets on the field.

Danger DANJ
04-28-2009, 05:44 PM
From what I've read, Foote wanted more playing time or he wanted out of Pittsburgh. He also said he wouldn't take less money than he is making. So, as much as I want him to stay, he didn't want to.

K Train
04-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Well if he doesn't that means we didn't have any devastating injurys on the Dline and that would be a good thing.If someone goes down and Ziggy has a good camp i bet he gets on the field.

sorry but first round picks are drafted to play, to make an impact and they are paid to do so....if you draft a dlineman to sit for "light years" in the first round you reach to get youth on the dline and an inferior, not first round talent

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-28-2009, 05:56 PM
sorry but first round picks are drafted to play, to make an impact and they are paid to do so....if you draft a dlineman to sit for "light years" in the first round you reach to get youth on the dline and an inferior, not first round talent

Dude..you know dang well thats not how the Steelers roll...they are prefectly content letting this guy ride the pine and learn..and we have the luxury of doing so.I don't remember seeing Timmons do Squat his rookie year.

K Train
04-28-2009, 06:09 PM
timmons got hurt though, thats different. you just dont draft players in the first that need a serious learning curve before they are even ready to dress....thats why we draft guys like keisel in the 7th, mcbean was a late rounder and smith was a 4th. and the steelers never said it would take light years for timmons to see the field, as a matter of fact he did after his groin healed, he broke ricky williams and was a terror on ST.

i just think you should always take the best player available in the first, you can draft projects after that. if we got gilbert at 64 im sure he would sit for a while but at least he would have been a good fit and has a much higher superstar potential than hood.

i dont know man, ive made it very clear how i feel about this pick and hearing the steelers say they highly doubt he is capable of pushing anyone for playing time anytime soon really adds more doubt....especially since hes a bad fit to begin with

igor0190
04-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Dude..you know dang well thats not how the Steelers roll...they are prefectly content letting this guy ride the pine and learn..and we have the luxury of doing so.I don't remember seeing Timmons do Squat his rookie year.

:yellowthumb:

-Woodley didn't play his rookie year to name 1... Most players don't make an impact in their rookie years.

K Train
04-28-2009, 06:18 PM
woodley did play his rookie year and had 2 sacks against jacksonville in the playoffs so not only did they play him his rookie year they played him in the biggest game

i also remember him destroying cutler in the broncos game which was fairly early in the year

Troyisabeast_43
04-28-2009, 06:18 PM

Plus, we already have pretty good depth on the d line with guys like Hoke, Kirschke, and Eason. Those three right there are pretty good backups and all did a great job of filling in for Hampton and Keisel this past season when they went down. The defense didnt miss a beat. Now that you add a guy like Timmons starting and playing on every down with guys like Harrison and Woodley this defense is going to be all the more better and faster. The Steelers honestly do not need to do a lot next season in terms of changing the roster around in order to have a chance to compete for another Super Bowl. A lot of these draft picks this year are for a few years down the road and not so much next year.

Colbert, the front office, and Tomlin all know that next season is probably the Steelers best chance for a few years, and their last legit chance to win a Super Bowl with this current group of players and starters on the team that are currently there. A lot of contracts are up after next year guys such as Keisel,Clark,Hampton,Deshea,and Heath Miller still needs to be resigned as well. People need to accept and realize that the while the Steelers are going to compete and be solid pretty much every single season they arent going to win the Super Bowl every single season either. I know it's hard for some people to deal with but that's just reality and how the NFL works. That's why next year they know they have their best chance of doing it again when you combine the same roster coming back from last years team, another year of Ben being more experienced and better, and the same dominant defense as well. Plus, not to mention a schedule which is an absolute cakewalk and will allow the Steelers to win 12 or 13 games or maybe more easily and be a number 1 or 2 seed in the playoffs.

K Train
04-28-2009, 06:21 PM
so you look at all the contracts that are expiring and you draft a guy who is undertalented and unfit for our system to sit for a few years? they really seem to think he wont be able to play for years...i know its only been like 3 days but they admit to the project aspect and to me thats admitting a reach and NOT taking the best player available....he needs to be absolutle unblockable in camp to even dress is what it sounds like and i highly doubt he can do that

Troyisabeast_43
04-28-2009, 06:30 PM
so you look at all the contracts that are expiring and you draft a guy who is undertalented and unfit for our system to sit for a few years? they really seem to think he wont be able to play for years...i know its only been like 3 days but they admit to the project aspect and to me thats admitting a reach and NOT taking the best player available....he needs to be absolutle unblockable in camp to even dress is what it sounds like and i highly doubt he can do that

Well from listening to him talk and his attitude and approach he seems like a very smart guy and someone who I think can learn Lebeau's system pretty quickly and get on the field sooner rather then later...Stop worrying dude this teams going to the playoffs and going to be a legit Super Bowl Contender whether Hood plays or whether he sits all season...

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Did you see the interview with John Mitchell yet?..He said he heard the negative things about Ziggy's game..that he can't do this and he can't do that..and he said "that's what they pay me for..to coach these guys up" This guy has been making studs out of alot of mid range talent so i'm sure Ziggy we'll be fine..i don't know exactly what the hell light years equates to in NFL terms..but we shall see.

K Train
04-28-2009, 06:34 PM
im not worried about the team, they have the talent to overcome the setback that will be known as the 2009 draft.

like i hate the pick, he seems like a motivated dude and a good guy and all but he doesnt fit in the system even a little bit

beaver688
04-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Foote: Steelers trying to trade me
Linebacker Larry Foote said he has not been released and that director of football operations Kevin Colbert told him this afternoon that the Steelers are trying to trade the eighth-year veteran.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2009, 07:02 PM
I don't think its impossible for Hood to at least play in our sub package defenses and rush the QB......Nobody expects Hood to start but I think he will at least see the field in some kind of role.....

Silverback 92
04-28-2009, 07:10 PM
wonder if cards will pick him up

BlackGold4vr
04-28-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't want to harsh on Larry Foote. He has been a loyal contributing member of 2 SB teams as a starter. Having said that Lawrence Timmons is the better player and this move will make us better. In an ideal world, starters would recognize when their replacements talent level has surpassed their own and take a back seat. But that is a hard pill to swallow especially for players like Larry who could start on teams not called the Steelers. Trading him is the more respectable move to the player rather than vanquishing him to a terminal back-up and special teams player. I like Larry and he has served us well! Good luck and thanks for the memories!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

steelerfan11
04-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Official Steelers Statement on Larry Foote Reports

“Contrary to published reports, Larry Foote is still a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Any stories indicating that Larry has been released by the team are inaccurate.”

-- Steelers Communications Coordinator Dave Lockett

That is off of the Steelers website...

Sir Blitzelot
04-28-2009, 09:15 PM
This is getting confusing :thinking:

Iron City South
04-29-2009, 12:10 AM
woodley did play his rookie year and had 2 sacks against jacksonville in the playoffs so not only did they play him his rookie year they played him in the biggest game

i also remember him destroying cutler in the broncos game which was fairly early in the year

I like what Timmons has shown, but to be perfectly honest, I would prefer to keep Foote for insurance purposes at this juncture. Timmons has struggled to disengage from blocks and in reading some blocking schemes.

While I've seen his athleticism in the pass defense packages, I still far from sold on Timmons' ability in the run game.

K Train
04-29-2009, 12:15 AM
hes definitely not gonna blow up many guards like farrior does, and thats why maualuga would have been nice but foote isnt really great at that either.

Prosdo
04-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Foote wants to be a starter. He is not going to be that in Pittsburgh. I heard they were shopping him during the draft and have been trying to trade him.

igor0190
04-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Here's to hoping we at least get something for him.... I would think that Green Bay, KC, or Denver would jump all over this. Solid veteran leadership and a strong piece of the puzzle for a 3-4 defence.

BFISHIN80
04-29-2009, 01:06 AM
im not worried about the team, they have the talent to overcome the setback that will be known as the 2009 draft.

like i hate the pick, he seems like a motivated dude and a good guy and all but he doesnt fit in the system even a little bit

Dude.....We know you hate the ****ing pick, You have beatin that into every SA members skull for the past 3 in a half days. I thought this was a Larry Foote thread??

--- Added 4/28/2009 at 11:06 PM ---

Larry will be in Arizona by the end of the week.

DanRooney
04-29-2009, 02:15 AM
Why would we get anything for him? I mean the team already said they are going to cut him so any team with logical sense would just wait until he's released...

K Train
04-29-2009, 03:57 AM
Dude.....We know you hate the ****ing pick, You have beatin that into every SA members skull for the past 3 in a half days. I thought this was a Larry Foote thread??

dont be so worried about it

he will be a lion, not a cardinal

Steelerlyn
04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Fom the source I have, steelersgab, this was Foote's idea because they were trying to trade him:

http://www.steelersgab.com/2009/04/28/pg-reports-foote-asked-team-for-his-release/

ESPN reported earlier today that the Steelers were going to release inside linebacker Larry Foote after this weekend mini-camp. Another side of the story has now come out, as Foote himself has spoken to the Post-Gazette, saying that he is the one that wants out of the Black and Gold.

It was my doing, Foote told the Post-Gazette. I wanted to go. They were trying to trade me.

The paper reported that Foote wants to keep playing as a starter in the NFL, and asked the Steelers to let him go find another team to do that. It became rather obvious last season with the emergence of 2007 first-round draft pick Lawrence Timmons, that a lot of playing time for Foote was going to be hard to come by.

With that, Foote will stay away from the teams mini-camp this weekend, and then get his wish. He leaves the team with two rings and a desire to keep playing. It will be interesting to see where he ends up, and if its truley as a starter.

The Detroit News, April 27: "Detroit is always No. 1," said Foote, a Pershing grad who still spends his offseason in Detroit. "I mean, my agent is talking to them about me coming home, and we'll go from there. But no question about it, that's my first choice.
the former Michigan Wolverine claims Detroit was trying to swing a deal with his former team a few months ago.

Now lets see if he comes to Detroit like he was rumored to a few months ago. If so Detroit could win 4 games instead of 3, oh yea

SteelerSal
04-29-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't blame him for wanting to start.
With the money Timmons makes, he is gonna have to be on the field and Farrior has not shown signs of slowing down anytime soon so replacing him is out of the question.

Nice to at least read that the reason is for playing and not because of money.

TampaSteelGirl
04-29-2009, 10:42 AM

:hilarious::hilarious: Yes he has!!

OMG!! If the Cards pick him up i'm gonna crap!! He's trying to build his own Steelers team...he's not a good enough coach!! :greengrin:

lloydfan4life
04-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Best wishes Larry! :yellowthumb:
Thanks for all of your hard work & great play.
You'll always be a Steeler in my eyes.

BlackGold4vr
04-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Why would we get anything for him? I mean the team already said they are going to cut him so any team with logical sense would just wait until he's released...

Yes, and rumor is they were floating his name around on draft day and had no bites. Why would anyone offer a future draft pick for a player they can sign for free by waiting us out?

K Train
04-29-2009, 04:33 PM
teams will consider trading for him to get him on a contract year, like a trial basis...it makes sense, it just depends on our demands....they will get him cheaper if they trade for him though

ToothAche
04-29-2009, 10:02 PM
..................senseless

steelerfan11
05-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Foote has been officially released.

Steelers Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert on
the Releasing of Larry Foote

Larry has been a big part of our success, but unfortunately the realities of the salary cap made this decision inevitable.

We wish Larry and his family nothing but the best as he moves forward with his career.

http://news.steelers.com/article/105400/

Zachintosh66
05-04-2009, 07:46 PM
shoulda just let him go when the story broke... trying to trade a guy they were gonna release anyways... doesnt make any sense to a team intrested in him... just wait a few days longer and you can pick your own price damn near.

hope he does well. hope he goes home to Det.

Now with Timmons in there all the time... Let the show begin! We will still have the best LB core in the NFL. Just not as deep...

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/heffrandotnet/timmons.jpg

Captcoolhand
05-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Well i wish the guy all the luck....:yesnod:

I just hope Timmons can live up to all the hype!

andyg1984
05-04-2009, 08:56 PM
pretty trippy w/ foote, porter and haggans all gone now .. i will be pissed if i see foote in a cards uni ... lol ... definitely gonna miss him just like all the others ..

DIESELMAN
05-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Good luck in Detroit Larry!! I read somewhere, this move saved the Steelers 2.885 mil on the salary cap.....

Silverback 92
05-05-2009, 12:47 AM
cards or lions who is it gonna be

Sir Blitzelot
05-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Best of luck Larry, thank you for all the years with the Steelers.

LatrobePA
05-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Later tater!

Larry is a class act but I'm a little annoyed with his ***! Can't share time bla bla bla! Now pack it up and go to a team that will struggle to even get close to 500!

igor0190
05-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Later tater!

Larry is a class act but I'm a little annoyed with his ***! Can't share time bla bla bla! Now pack it up and go to a team that will struggle to even get close to 500!

YEah, I can't help thinking he will be having second thoughts about this when he's losing all the time. Losing is not fun. Have fun in Detroit. Wish him the best.

cmerrifield
05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
I bet he gets a call from Arizona, but his heart is in Detroit. I bet Detroit is the winner.

McNabbulous5
05-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Man that disappoints me... Foote was my favorite Steeler player. I even cheered in 2004 (that was a looong day for me) when he sacked McNabb and did the FOOTE STOMP!

lloydfan4life
05-06-2009, 08:27 AM
It's official.
Larry's a Lion.

Foote, Lions agree to deal (http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09126/968002-66.stm)

Best wishes Larry. Thanks for the memories! :yellowthumb:
You'll probably feel like you're playing for the Detroit Pershing Doughboys again! :duh:

LatrobePA
05-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Biggest mistake of his career! He's getting paid, but all the money in the world can't blanket the fact that the Lions suck *** and he'll struggle year in and year out!

cmerrifield
05-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I am a little worried about when we play the Lions now. Foote knows the D in and out and that could make beating the Lions more difficult. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Im going to miss Foote, that patented "stomp" was one of the things ever! Good luck man, thanks for all the great years with us!

TampaSteelGirl
05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Im going to miss Foote, that patented "stomp" was one of the things ever! Good luck man, thanks for all the great years with us!

I agree! I'm going to miss him. I only wish him the best of luck. He'll always be a Steeler to me! :tt02:

Steelerlyn
05-06-2009, 06:49 PM
The Detriot/Steeler game just became more interesting:)

Good luck to you Larry

Roadkill
05-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Maybe his home town but I feel for the guy come on who wants to go to the lions /Detroit 0-16 no diection to go BUT up you would hope I guess