PDA

View Full Version : Grade the Draft

Zachintosh66
04-27-2009, 07:52 AM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/09117/965875-66.stm

ROUND 1 (32 overall) -- DL Ziggy Hood, DE, 6-2 1/2, 300, Missouri
Contributer right away, Starter in a few years. Helps out DL depth and age.

ROUND 3 (79 overall) -- G Kraig Urbik, G, 6-5 1/2, 330, Wisconsin
Started 50 games. Tough kid, Will Compete vs Stapleton.

ROUND 3 (84) -- Mike Wallace, WR/KR, 6-0, 195, Mississippi
Super fast. Can KR. Will compete for #4 WR out of the box.

ROUND 3 (96) -- Keenan Lewis, CB, 6-1, 205, Oregon State
Four year starter. Compared to Ike Taylor in size and style of play.

ROUND 5 (168) -- Joe Burnett, WR/KR, 5-9 1/2, 194, Central Florida
Small but not the fastest. Very agile and quick, Very good KR/PR. Called a "playmaker"

ROUND 5 (169) -- Frank Summers, 5-9 1/2, 242, Nevada-Las Vegas
Short yardage & Goal line back? Can play FB too. Can catch as well. Suspect Speed.

ROUND 6 (205) -- Ra'Shon "Sonny" Harris, DL, 6-4, 303, Oregon
5 year senior. Kinda Inconsistent... Can play DT or DE

ROUND 7 (226) -- A.Q. Shipley, C, 6-1, 302, Penn State
Tough filled with tenacity. Not physically gifted but makes up for it.

ROUND 7 (241) -- David "D.J." Johnson, TE, 6-2, 270, Arkansas State
Big Guy, Can play FB or TE. 3 year starter.

ToothAche
04-27-2009, 08:38 AM
I like the draft because it added depth. I don't think it is a very good draft on paper, but we will see I guess. Overall, the whole draft class really stank. There were only 2 or 3 great players at every position, then the talent just dropped off. We walked away with some average players. Hopefully, these guys show us that they know how to work hard and learn the NFL like they should.

Can't wait for the season to start now!!

BlackGold4vr
04-27-2009, 09:03 AM
The only negative IMO is that we didn't snag one of the top 3 centers. I really wanted Eric Wood but can't cry over a player who was drafted before our first pick! Other than that I think they addressed all their needs. Overall I am happy with what they did.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-27-2009, 09:32 AM
I gave it a B. We definately filled some squares that we needed.

Oline-Throw in a healthy Tony Hills,Add Kraig Urbik and shuffle some other guys around and that line may get alot better.(I'd love to see Shipley get on the field too.)

Dline-Much needed youth and depth added with Ziggy and Sonny.

WR-Wallace could end being the steal here..Big play potentail in the return game and definately a burner to stretch the field and make room in the middle for Ward to do his thing.

CB-Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett will come in and compete..both have had solid careers with Lewis a big guy and Burnett another KR/PR candidate

HB/RB-Frank the tank..i thought we were going with Mchugh in a more traditional offense..but i like his short yardage capability.

May not be one superstar..but if all these guys can make a impact as a collective group than this draft could very well end up to be a good thing.:crossfingers:

Zachintosh66
04-27-2009, 09:41 AM
id say C+

Lots of potential to blow up or bust...
hopefully one of those guys can solve our KR problem...
2 OL to sure things up, same as Ziggy
1 corner to take over when deshea hangs em up
hopefully a short yardage answer
and another TE/FB

by far i thought the worst pick was Sonny... but thats MO

Silverback 92
04-27-2009, 12:30 PM
C- at first look but hoping Im wrong

andyg1984
04-27-2009, 08:08 PM
special teams is way better w/ wallace and burnett on kicks and burnett on punts , @ the very least we added depth on the interior o-line and DE .. i think ziggy has a chance to develop behind the best - we will know in a few years .. we seriously needed depth @ wr .. i would have liked to see gilbert @ 64 and there may have been some value in the secondary in the first, but i would not freak out considering the body of work these guys have shown throughout there college careers

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-27-2009, 08:10 PM
special teams is way better w/ wallace and burnett on kicks and burnett on punts , @ the very least we added depth on the interior o-line and DE .. i think ziggy has a chance to develop behind the best - we will know in a few years .. we seriously needed depth @ wr .. i would have liked to see gilbert @ 64 and there may have been some value in the secondary in the first, but i would not freak out considering the body of work these guys have shown throughout there college careers

good post :yellowthumb:..short and sweet, so what's your grade?

K Train
04-27-2009, 08:13 PM
yeah we have 2 good returners and a 1st round career backup/wedgebuster

special teams got upgraded but not much else

D- on paper the worst draft ive ever seen them compile, good thing the team is fairly stacked with talent....enough so to carry us through the mediocrity of the 2009 draft class

andyg1984
04-27-2009, 09:59 PM
B-, but ziggy could make or break that in a few years

darnik44
04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
yeah we have 2 good returners and a 1st round career backup/wedgebuster

special teams got upgraded but not much else

D- on paper the worst draft ive ever seen them compile, good thing the team is fairly stacked with talent....enough so to carry us through the mediocrity of the 2009 draft class

I can't believe you can't see the potential in this class. Just about every player they drafted on day 2 is considered a sleeper pick because they have a bunch of potential. I don't like the Hood or Urbik pick, but you have to look beyond those two picks. Some of the best all time Steelers have been drafted in the 3rd round or beyond. You shouldn't knock it because they didn't draft the players you wanted. They didn't get most of the players I wanted either, but I can still understand their thought process with most of them.

Example, Cornelius Lewis was passed up 256 times by 32 teams. You wanted the Steelers to take him in the 2nd round. The teams have spoken, that would have been a huge reach. I thought he was a 3rd round guy and I was wrong too.

They tried to get cute and draft Hood and then trade up to get Unger. They weren't able to trade up and had just taken Hood so that took Gilbert out of the equation. They apparently didn't value Gilbert at #32 and probably figured he would be gone by #64. I bet if they got a do over they would have gone Unger at #32 and Gilbert at #64 with Keenan Lewis at #96.

K Train
04-27-2009, 10:28 PM
i like the corners....i do, ive calmed down a little bit but ziggy had me with some built up rage for a few days. i like wallace even though i thought it was a reach. i hate the top, like the middle and despise the bottom. summer, sonny and shipley were awsul picks, i dont even know the TE but i bet hes not a steeler come the 2009 season. urbik and hood will have me scratching my head for a while though.

i just liked cornelius lewis, i liked him alot as a sleeper....something happend to make him slip out of the draft because he was projected by most, including yourself to get drafted.

darnik44
04-27-2009, 10:39 PM
i like the corners....i do, ive calmed down a little bit but ziggy had me with some built up rage for a few days. i like wallace even though i thought it was a reach. i hate the top, like the middle and despise the bottom. summer, sonny and shipley were awsul picks, i dont even know the TE but i bet hes not a steeler come the 2009 season. urbik and hood will have me scratching my head for a while though.

i just liked cornelius lewis, i liked him alot as a sleeper....something happend to make him slip out of the draft because he was projected by most, including yourself to get drafted.

The bright side about Hood is we won't need him to start for a couple years. In that time I suppose he has the potential to develope. The Steelers are the best in the business at developing talent. In the meantime, realize on passing downs Hood can play DT in a 4 man front and rush the passer. That is one area the Steelers are lacking at, so if he can fill that role and develope in the meantime he might not be a bad pick. Remember this is much different than when they took Timmons 15th with a ton of talent still out there.

How can't you like Summers simply based on his attitude? He says he plays 4 positions, RB, FB, special teams, and defense. Talk about a Steeler guy. If he does pan out and can replace Davis and Russell that frees up a roster spot. Perhaps they could dress their 3rd QB, Dennis Dixon and work him into a slash role.

Forget about the 7th round pick, who cares. How often does a 7th rounder do anything anyway? I was all excited about Dallas Baker in the 7th a few years ago. What has he done?

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
I knew you would calm down some Ktrain...That is why I didn't bust your balls or anything.....

I'm not going to grade the draft since its way to early....

Mike Tomlin said when he took over this team that he wasn't going draft players to fit a specific scheme.......He just wanted quality football players that love the game....Timmons and Hood are prime examples of that....Both of them are not ideal fits for the Steelers 3-4....

Sorry to mention Timmons since he has nothing to do with this current draft class....But I wanted to throw another example out there...

As for this draft I do see the Steelers getting better at situational football.....Hood does give this team an interior pass rusher from the DL spot......I can't wait to see him in our nickel with Harrison, Woodley, Timmons.....Lewis and Burnett give us depth at corner for those nickel/dime defenses....

The return units were seriously upgraded with both Wallace and Burnett.....

I'm expecting Limas Sweed to develop this year and really make a contribution......So I think with Ward, Holmes, Sweed, and Wallace gives the Steelers really four quality WR's when they go 4 wide and when they use their hurry up offense.....

K Train
04-27-2009, 10:53 PM
The bright side about Hood is we won't need him to start for a couple years. In that time I suppose he has the potential to develope. The Steelers are the best in the business at developing talent. In the meantime, realize on passing downs Hood can play DT in a 4 man front and rush the passer. That is one area the Steelers are lacking at, so if he can fill that role and develope in the meantime he might not be a bad pick. Remember this is much different than when they took Timmons 15th with a ton of talent still out there.

How can't you like Summers simply based on his attitude? He says he plays 4 positions, RB, FB, special teams, and defense. Talk about a Steeler guy. If he does pan out and can replace Davis and Russell that frees up a roster spot. Perhaps they could dress their 3rd QB, Dennis Dixon and work him into a slash role.

Forget about the 7th round pick, who cares. How often does a 7th rounder do anything anyway? I was all excited about Dallas Baker in the 7th a few years ago. What has he done?

heres a post i made in another thread that basically sums it up

i dont see an excuse for 1) not trading with the lions for 20 when oher was there because they were prime targets to give them 32-33 and some other picks and then the one that really baffled me is they just watched the ravens trade up to grab oher...he was sitting pretty there for us to make a move and its not like we dont do that but that is an elite left tackle that makes it look easy. now ive been quoted saying oher is my biggest man crush ever, ive wanted this dude for 3 years now and the most painful thing ive ever had to witness in sports was him putting on a ravens hat as a conjioned effort of the patriots and ravens....yuck. i will never understand letting that happen, especially since this team has lacked a dominant force on the line for years especially at tackle and we didnt need all those late round picks since we dont have that many open roster spots and alot wont be either making the team or contributing at all. Now i cant even hope for oher to do well against other teams, i want him to fail and i want harrison to whip his *** up and down the field. but i look at the whole situation as letting the ravens get better and i dont agree with just sitting there being a spectator when its a legit need and we have firepower to offer.

^this has a big big part in me being disturbed about ziggy hood (besides that hes an awful fit and i hate the colts for passing on him for a backup RB)

i think summers=carey davis....its a lateral move. when we kept carey davis on the reports were how good of a runner he was and a devestating lead blocker...what a joke.

obviously the wound of oher need to heal for me, but overall i really dont like what ziggy brings to the table, and i really really hate what urbik brings to the table. i would have prefered maualuga at 32, honestly i think i would have prefered loadholt who could give us a mammoth set of tackles

heres what oher said today...blah lol

At his introductory news conference Sunday, Michael Oher showed that he is a fast learner.

"I'm going to do everything I possibly can to get them to beat Pittsburgh," the Ravens' first-round draft pick said in his first answer to Baltimore reporters.

K Train
04-28-2009, 01:06 AM
im talking to keenan lewis on facebook lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2009, 01:11 AM
im talking to keenan lewis on facebook lol

Seriously?...lol I don't have a facebook account but I would get one just to say hey and Welcome to the Pittsburgh Steelers.....

K Train
04-28-2009, 01:17 AM
im friends with him and wallace, i was reading through his wall posts when his status was updated saying he didnt get picked on day but god has a plan and then he got drafted and alot of his friends were like damn you and mike are on the same team lol

i talked to william beatty once before....i thought it would be fun to add them before they got to famous lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Very cool stuff......

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Yea i been talking with Dezmond Sherrod ever since i got stationed down here in Miss.
He got signed by the Steelers last year and is on the practice squad...but he posts alot of cool pics from the locker room and just the players hanging out on their off-time..it's cool to see some behind the scenes pics. His first day of training camp they put him up against Harrison..lol.he said it was the most intimidating day of his life.

rayscb3
04-30-2009, 09:12 PM
I have seen better draft picks come out of the Steelers camp in recent years. I guess we will just have to wait and see. :crossfingers::crossfingers:

Callax
05-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I gave it a B. We definately filled some squares that we needed.

Oline-Throw in a healthy Tony Hills,Add Kraig Urbik and shuffle some other guys around and that line may get alot better.(I'd love to see Shipley get on the field too.)

Dline-Much needed youth and depth added with Ziggy and Sonny.

WR-Wallace could end being the steal here..Big play potentail in the return game and definately a burner to stretch the field and make room in the middle for Ward to do his thing.

CB-Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett will come in and compete..both have had solid careers with Lewis a big guy and Burnett another KR/PR candidate

HB/RB-Frank the tank..i thought we were going with Mchugh in a more traditional offense..but i like his short yardage capability.

May not be one superstar..but if all these guys can make a impact as a collective group than this draft could very well end up to be a good thing.:crossfingers:

I believe the draft is a B..
I also am very glad they added some players that can do KR/PR, if Holmes get hurts our return game goes in the stinkpot!
Some depth at CB should be helpful
Too bad they didn't get a better OL depth, like Mack or Wood, but they were loonnnnng gone before Pitt even got out their draft selection card!!
Frank "the Tank" is a very nice addition, maybe we will have some short yardage touchdowns and fewer chip shot FG's!!

I REALLY like getting WR Wallace, good size and a BURNER!!!!
BONUS, A RETURNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YEAH!!!!

beaver688
05-09-2009, 12:13 PM
same as useual ca ca

Sec521
05-28-2009, 05:35 PM
B- I think Hood, Urbik, and Wallace will be players... down the road. Frank the Tank might make the biggest impact this year.