PDA

View Full Version : Draft is over, now what?

JensK
04-27-2009, 04:57 AM
The draft is finally over, which leaves me with a few questions that remains unanswered. What are we going to do at center? We did draft Shipley but i honestly doub that he'll crack the starting line, and there is no way that he is the answer for years to come. Hartwig is not an option either. He flat out sucks, so what are we going to do? We are "pretty" good on the line with Tony Hills, Starks, Urbik and Kemo, but what about the center? Hartwig or Shipley won't do.

SteelerSal
04-27-2009, 06:30 AM
The draft is finally over, which leaves me with a few questions that remains unanswered. What are we going to do at center? We did draft Shipley but i honestly doub that he'll crack the starting line, and there is no way that he is the answer for years to come. Hartwig is not an option either. He flat out sucks, so what are we going to do? We are "pretty" good on the line with Tony Hills, Starks, Urbik and Kemo, but what about the center? Hartwig or Shipley won't do.

I can't even agree about the "Pretty good at the o-line" part you mentioned when either Hills or Urbik have yet to show us anything.
Better have a bunch of the UDFA's be O-lineman so as to add to the competition.

darnik44
04-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Harwig does need upgraded, but non the less they can win a Super Bowl with him and the rest of the current starters. Hartwig did improve as the season went on as well as the line as a whole.

I do see the Steelers with options. Darnell Stapelton could be an option at center and lets also not forget about the kid from Marshall they signed as a UDFA last year and put on the practice squad Doug Legursky. I heard some encouraging words from Kevin Colbert about Tony Hills. The Steelers could move Willie Colon to OG if Hills works out at RT. Urbik can battle Kemoeatu for the RG spot or play LG and move colon to RG. I see alot of position flexibility.

LT - Max Starks (Trai Essex) (Jason Capizzi)
LG - Chris Kemoeatu (Kraig Urbik)
C - Jeff Hartwig (Darnell Stapelton) (A.Q. Shipley) (Doug Legursky)
RG - Darnell Stapelton (Kraig Urbik) (Willie Colon)
RT - Willie Colon (Tony Hills)

Zachintosh66
04-27-2009, 08:06 AM
As much as it will drive you guys nuts...

C - for now - Is acceptable

I was hoping to groom Mack or Wood... then on sunday i was pulling for Caldwell. Shipley was a pretty good pick up for being in the 7th. Dont think he is the answer tho. Just adds a little bit of depth.

cmerrifield
04-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Essex was also certain that he would break into the starting line this year. He said he had been working hard all this offseason. So maybe if Essex can start at guard, or tackle, then Colon to guard, then stapleton can be our center. I am pretty sure that is his position.

ToothAche
04-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Let's hope another team cuts a good center to make room for their picks.

LatrobePA
04-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Let's hope another team cuts a good center to make room for their picks.

We're not done....But with the lack of cap room, if we do add a FO someone will have to be cut...

JensK
04-27-2009, 01:12 PM
As much as it will drive you guys nuts...

C - for now - Is acceptable

I was hoping to groom Mack or Wood... then on sunday i was pulling for Caldwell. Shipley was a pretty good pick up for being in the 7th. Dont think he is the answer tho. Just adds a little bit of depth.

I really don't think that having the worst center in the league is acceptable. The only reason we think Hartwig is any good is because Mahan sucked so bad.

darnik. I''ve never seen Stapleton play center. Is he any good?

DahBurgh
04-28-2009, 10:43 AM
While I think everyone would agree we do need to make some improvements at O line you cant forget that we won a superbowl with them, not to mention Ben seemed to play with a chip on his shoulder and always stuck up for them, after they won this past superbowl Ben was still giving them praise. Also you have to realize the O line will build chemistry and adapt to become better and work as a single unit instead of individuals.

JensK
04-28-2009, 11:57 AM
While that is true, an oline needs more than just chemistry. look at giants. They have one or two really good guys on thier line, at that seems to work great. We need, imo, to have at least one "superstar", hopefully two, and i would love one of them to be a center.

Also, we did not win a SB with that line, we won despite of it :P they had a decent SB, but it was the same line that two weeks earlier allowed Suggs two sacks, and he only used one arm...