PDA

View Full Version : Post Gazette: Turnovers once again the culprit...Parker & Ward speak out

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2006, 01:21 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06310/736062-66.stm

Monday, November 06, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Linebacker Larry Foote compared the Steelers' 2-6 record to an earthquake, and the tremors rumbled through their locker room after the most recent disaster, a 31-20 loss amid a flood of six turnovers to the Denver Broncos at Heinz Field.

Halfback Willie Parker, who scored his team's only two touchdowns, wondered whether the Steelers have had one big letdown after winning a Super Bowl.

"Last year, we were getting the job done, we just seemed hungrier," said Parker. "This year, it seems like we already got what we want, what's the use? What's the use of going out there and selling out?"

Parker said he also felt a lack of trust among teammates.

"Right now I don't think we're believing in everybody. I don't think we're looking at the guy next to us and being like, 'He has my back, I can trust this guy.' I don't think we trust the guy next to us right now."

Wide receiver Hines Ward, whose last of seven receptions ended when he lost a fumble at the goal line with 1:50 left, was already talking about playing for next season.

"At 2-6, you have to audition for next year. For me, it just sucks because I put everything I had into this game. Then to let my team down with the fumble really hurts a lot."
The Steelers never had a lead after falling behind 14-0 in the first four minutes, but they made a game of it and still had a shot until Ward's fumble. He caught a pass from the 11 and leaped into the air and tried to stretch the ball across the goal line as two Broncos converged on him. Linebacker Al Wilson knocked the ball loose, and that was that.

For the fourth time this season, the Steelers outgained an opponent and lost because of turnovers. They rang up 499 yards to Denver's 336, but the Broncos committed no turnovers.

"This will reveal a lot," coach Bill Cowher said. "There are high-character guys there. It's very disappointing. It's very frustrating. It's funny how life works. Sometimes you're at the pinnacle, and sometimes you're at the bottom."

Already, the Steelers have 24 turnovers, one more than all of last season, and they were at a loss to explain that difference as much as they were their stunningly poor first half of the season.

"I don't know," said Foote. "Why do earthquakes happen? Nobody knows."

Ben Roethlisberger threw three more interceptions, although one came on a desperation pass at the end. He completed a team-record 38 passes in 54 attempts for 433 yards, second most in team history, and had one 15-yard touchdown pass to Parker. The Steelers ran only 19 times, for 96 yards with Parker gaining 70 of them.

"That was the game plan, get out and throw the ball, and I think we did a good job of it," Roethlisberger said.

But turnovers put the Steelers in a hole early and they kept digging it deeper as the game went on.

It sounds like Ward and Parker have already thrown in the terrible towel....

House of Steel
11-06-2006, 01:26 AM
That was digusting to read. What the hell? Throwing in the towel already, HEY FOOLS you guys realize you may actually have a chance, a one in million chance of sweeping the 8 remaining games and squeeze by as the Divisional Champions. I am not giving up hope. Hey, I have seen miracle happens that are bigger than the one we are praying for, but you have to believe.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Hines was probably just caught in the emotions of the game when he said what he did. I have rarely seen a player look like he did at the end of the game.After his fumble, you could see it ripped his heart out.He has always wore his emotions on his sleeve. I doubt seriously he has given up. I can't explain Parkers attitude, he needs to spend a little more time with Najeh and pick up on his attitude, see the other post.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-06-2006, 01:49 AM
Hard to fault Willie when he scores the only two TD's. I think Willie makes a great point. This team doesn't believe in each other and the team isn't as hungry. This team was close a team last year. This year thats not the case.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Willie is saying the exact opposite of Najeh. I'm not saying who's right, but I would rather have Najeh's attitude.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-06-2006, 02:09 AM
Willie is saying the exact opposite of Najeh. I'm not saying who's right, but I would rather have Najeh's attitude.

Big difference between the two. Willie Parker was here last year and knows whats different among the team. Where Dookie is new to the team this year and is still fitting in.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-06-2006, 02:22 AM
"Last year, we were getting the job done, we just seemed hungrier," said Parker. "This year, it seems like we already got what we want, what's the use? What's the use of going out there and selling out?"

Parker said he also felt a lack of trust among teammates.

"Right now I don't think we're believing in everybody. I don't think we're looking at the guy next to us and being like, 'He has my back, I can trust this guy.' I don't think we trust the guy next to us right now."

This is not the attitude I want my starting RB to have. He has to be able to trust his line that the hole will be there, maybe that explains the tenative running and going down on the first hit.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-06-2006, 02:49 AM
Well Willie Parker is one of the few bright spots about this season so far. I think he is on pace for 16 total TD's. Which would be a Steelers record for TD's in a season. So I'm willing to cut some slack to Fast Willie. Plus don' t you think he is fustrated? He has seen what this team can do it when it plays to the level that is expected of them. I also think Willie Parker is right. These players do not believe in their teammates and are not as hungry as they were last year.

I also would like to add I would hope that Davenport would have a positive attitude since he is new to this team and that he got another chance with an NFL team after getting cut by the Packers. Davenport is just happy to be with a team. Where Willie knows what this team can do and its killing him that the Steelers are 2-6.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Najeh is happy to be here and from where he came from, the attitude of the team is alot better.

I know Willie is upset, he is doing alot of good things this year but he's left plays on the field just like everyone else. I don't want any player to have that attitude but when you catch players right after a game like that you're liable to get things taken out of contest or things said in haste at the spur of the moment. We'll see how him and Hines, and the rest of the group pull together this week and show their pride.

BR7
11-06-2006, 10:33 AM
when you catch players right after a game like that you're liable to get things taken out of contest or things said in haste at the spur of the moment.

Could have been worse.. Might have been a Ryan Leaf explosion or even better.. a Soldja rant ala K2.

AZ_Steeler
11-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Hopefully this season doesn't tear apart a team that has for the most part always been unified. The comments from Parker are very disheartening and have me wondering if this team is headed in the wrong direction with their team chemistry? :dunno: At this point I would be happy for a 500 season and to see a dramatic drop in the number of turnovers. This team has all the makings for a great team but the turnovers are killing them not only on the field but now what seems like in the locker room as well.

Steelersfan
11-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't trust any of them either and that includes Willie. He has fumbled more than a few times this year just like everyone else. Ward has come on lately but he was dropping passes to begin the year. Wilson has fumbled and has dropped passes. Washington has dropped TD's. Holmes has played as expected for a WR but him and Coc have dropped way to many returns. Ben has been up and down all year. And that's just part of the offenses problems.
The D has looked great at times this year and at other times couldn't stop anyone. Whenever we need a stop the other team marches right down the field and scores. And I don't think they have held anyone to a FG after we have turned the ball over in our end. Usually it's one or two plays and the other team has a TD.
So you see, there is all kinds of blame that can go around.
The biggest two bright spots I have seen this year are Heath Miller and to a point Davenport who has ran hard for us and done a fine job on returns. At times Parker has looked pretty good too. I think he has looked even better since we started using Davenport more so hopefully the Steelers make an attempt at resigning him.

SteelerFan87
11-06-2006, 06:14 PM
I don't think Hines and Willie's comments were throwing in the towel. On making the playoffs? Maybe. But who can blame them when we're 2-6 and aren't showing signs of changing?

I think their comments were more frustration, and maybe calling out the team. It's true. The Steelers aren't playing with the same intensity and dedication as last year. Maybe having Parker and Ward call them out will light a fire under some guys' asses.

Koopa
11-06-2006, 06:41 PM
oh come on, we have no chance in hell. 10 wins will not get you in the playoffs, maybe if this was the nfc it would, but not in the afc, lets just get ready for the draft talk

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Hopefully this season doesn't tear apart a team that has for the most part always been unified. The comments from Parker are very disheartening and have me wondering if this team is headed in the wrong direction with their team chemistry? :dunno: At this point I would be happy for a 500 season and to see a dramatic drop in the number of turnovers. This team has all the makings for a great team but the turnovers are killing them not only on the field but now what seems like in the locker room as well.

This year will tell alot about the character of this team..who the real leaders and team players are. To date there hasn't been any finger pointing and I don't expect there to be. This team has never done that and I fully expect them to stay that course. After watching sportsbeat tonight Im encouraged by Tunch's words that reaffirm what I hope to be true that these words were said out of frustration, anger, & dissapointment.

Maybe finally this team is frustrated, upset, and basically they just said what had to be said and what others may be thinking. Sure it may have been said out of emotion and spur of the moment and I can't say I blame them.

I think down the road they may look back, especially Willie and wish they hadn't have said it to the media but if it helps motivate this team then that's good in the end.

Steelerlyn
11-07-2006, 01:40 AM
There ws no reason for Parker or Ward to say anything, especially Parker