PDA

View Full Version : YASSS!!! A.Q. Shipley is OURS!

DBR96A
04-26-2009, 07:18 PM
:tt02::cope::helmet::greengrin::greenbounce2::bana na::clap:

SteelCityMan786
04-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Welcome Home A.Q.!!!!

Callax
04-26-2009, 07:23 PM
WOW!!!

I hope he can make the team, I think even though is a scrapper, does he have enough physical skill to stick to the final roster??

steelcityrockers
04-26-2009, 07:24 PM
What a ****ing terrible, terrible pick

steelerfan11
04-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Horrible pick!!!

I hope he gets cut before camp even starts!

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Its the 7th round...lol This is the round were teams take chances and if they miss then its no big deal since it was only a 7th rounder...lol

DanRooney
04-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Its the 7th round...lol This is the round were teams take chances and if they miss then its no big deal since it was only a 7th rounder...lol

Seems like you're the type of person wouldn't argue if we drafted Tim Tebow with our first pick next year :yellowthumb:

SteelCityMan786
04-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Seems like you're the type of person wouldn't argue if we drafted Tim Tebow with our first pick next year :yellowthumb:

I think Tebow would be more for a Randle El guy if they did anyway.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 07:37 PM

**** Tim Tebow and I can give a flying **** about him...lol What did you want the Steelers to do in 7th round?....I hate Shipley and we already have a Shipley clone under contract in Doug Legursky......But at the same time its the god damn 7th round and the Steelers took a shot with Shipley....I want him to succeed now since he is a Steeler...lol

I won't also knock a draft class before these players even stepped on the field and played a down in the NFL yet.....That is just plain stupid...So **** off and really could careless what you think...lol

Zachintosh66
04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
:clap: 7th Round... good pick :clap:

We got our G and a Center... we can now phase-out Stapleton, LMAO!

ps. It'll be fun to watch the comments after that one...

BlackGold4vr
04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm surprised we ever win a game let alone superbowls. Seeing how incompetent some of you feel our front office is. It doesn't matter if any of these guys are the best at their position. What matters is how they fit into our schemes and how they mix with the team chemistry. The best teams on paper rarely win championships. I believe the coaches will help some of these guys become contributing members of this team. Of course not all nine players will make the roster of the defending SB Champs. That would be expected even if we let this forum make all the picks! :yesnod:

K Train
04-26-2009, 07:47 PM
this was the nail in the coffin for me, they wore me down all weekend before the kill shot lol

SteelCityMan786
04-26-2009, 07:48 PM
:clap: 7th Round... good pick :clap:

We got our G and a Center... we can now phase-out Stapleton, LMAO!

ps. It'll be fun to watch the comments after that one...

I was thinking of getting rid of Hartwig, but he at least can still block.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-26-2009, 08:49 PM
this was the nail in the coffin for me, they wore me down all weekend before the kill shot lol

lol...somebody buy this guy a drink

Dee Mca
04-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Sorry I don't follow how well Off lines are in college football but I can look at stats and it seems that PSU had a decent O-line and shipley was a part of that Line.
14th ranked offense
448.9 yards per game
205.8 rushing yards
243.1 passing yards
So it seems he was worth a 7th round pick. Surely can't be any worse than old mahan we had. Now can he?

K Train
04-26-2009, 09:06 PM
no hes worse than mahan

SteelCityMan786
04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
no hes worse than mahan

Shipley is a scrappy Center and he's willing to battle even the toughest D-Linemen unlike Mahan.

K Train
04-26-2009, 09:10 PM
you can battle all you want and still fail lol

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Shipley is a straight up baller..i'll take his toughness and passion over Mahan/Hartwig anyday..this kid is going to prove some people wrong..and you'll be loving this pick.:markit:

K Train
04-26-2009, 09:38 PM
lol at penn state fans....always the same

steelcityrockers
04-26-2009, 09:38 PM
No he won't and no I won't. He wont make it past the practice squad, maybe inactive list if there are injuries. He blows as a pro prospect.

Zachintosh66
04-26-2009, 09:42 PM
man someone pour K the purple kool-aid... :crying:

SteelCityMan786
04-26-2009, 09:54 PM
lol at penn state fans....always the same

I didn't say he was guaranteed to be the next Mike Webster or Jeff Hartings. But he's capable of being the next version of them.

In reality though, it's still to early to say he's definantly going to be a good pick especially when he hasn't even played on a NFL field yet, but on paper, I have to say this was a good pick.

steelcityrockers
04-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Give me a reason why other than "fire and passion."

K Train
04-26-2009, 10:02 PM
paterno ruined him, he made him play center because he told him he could enjoy a 10 year career in the NFL as one....when in reality his ideal position would probably be an undertackle in a 43. had he worked on that and came out a little heavier then maybe he could find a place on a team like the colts that like real athletic dlinemen even if size is sacraficed

steelcitysfinestXL
04-26-2009, 10:06 PM
man someone pour K the purple kool-aid... :crying:

HahHaha... All this whining, when did this turn into a Seahawks board! Jeez lintening to some of u makes me wanna throw up! I'm so glad we drafted A.Q. For me this draft was a solid B. Shipley will make this team and be molded into a solid starter for years to come! Being born and raised in Pittsburgh I'm happy to see a local kid have a chance to play for the black n gold! If u don't like the steelers drafting go be a raiders fan. That way u can have a shot at a top 5 pick every year... Maybe then you'll be happy with the quality of players u draft!

K Train
04-26-2009, 10:12 PM
HahHaha... All this whining, when did this turn into a Seahawks board! Jeez lintening to some of u makes me wanna throw up! I'm so glad we drafted A.Q. For me this draft was a solid B. Shipley will make this team and be molded into a solid starter for years to come! Being born and raised in Pittsburgh I'm happy to see a local kid have a chance to play for the black n gold! If u don't like the steelers drafting go be a raiders fan. That way u can have a shot at a top 5 pick every year... Maybe then you'll be happy with the quality of players u draft!

shipleys days as being known as a solid starter were over when usc stomped the **** out of them in the rose bowl

steelcityrockers
04-26-2009, 10:13 PM
No the Raiders were WAY worse. I'm still not sure who Michael Mitchell is.

I see no endearing fact about Shipley that leads me to believe he will do ****. For you people who hate Mahan, Shipley is too small to handle NT's one on one. FUNTASTIC!

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Shipley probably won't even make the roster but was worth the risk in the 7th round....Its not like wasting a 7th round pick on Shipley is going to cripple the franchise for years....lol

steelcityrockers
04-26-2009, 10:27 PM
No, but someone with upside would be nice, like Danell Ellerbe or Darry Beckwith

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-26-2009, 10:27 PM
well we all know this team will fail unless we personally hand select ktrains list of prospects...gimme a break.This draft was fine except for the part of listening to all this bitchin.

Let's just see how these guys pan out before we say what a huge mistake,or how horrible our weekend was because of our selections.

DIESELMAN
04-26-2009, 10:32 PM
well we all know this team will fail unless we personally hand select ktrains list of prospects...gimme a break.This draft was fine except for the part of listening to all this bitchin.

Let's just see how these guys pan out before we say what a huge mistake,or how horrible our weekend was because of our selections.
:plus1: Exactlly!!!

K Train
04-26-2009, 10:32 PM
your right....we would be better off that way

the guys we got were reaches and especially hood was an all around bad fit for the kind of defense we run. wallace and burnett were ok picks, summers is awful, shipley is beyond awful, sonny is a big lazy question mark and urbik is a fat slob.

hood is another mcbean, urbik is another stephenson....weve seen these kind of players before and weve seen them fail, let hope wallace isnt another willie reid

TEEMONT
04-26-2009, 10:44 PM
hey...you know what?

I just looked at the banner on the top of this page....6 super bowl trophies....lol

anyways...I am totally feeding off of trains miserableness....lol....

K Train
04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
i figured lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 10:46 PM

the guys we got were reaches and especially hood was an all around bad fit for the kind of defense we run. wallace and burnett were ok picks, summers is awful, shipley is beyond awful, sonny is a big lazy question mark and urbik is a fat slob.

hood is another mcbean, urbik is another stephenson....weve seen these kind of players before and weve seen them fail, let hope wallace isnt another willie reid

I agree Ziggy Hood isn't the ideal 3-4 fit....But I think comparing him to Ryan McBean isn't accurate at all......Hood has high motor and great work ethic which McBean didn't...Plus Hood still was a first day talent were McBean was a second day project.....Hood was the only legit talent among his front 7 in college and faced constant double teams.....He still produced despite that...I know you disagree with my post here and that is fine....But I still think there is enough positives then negatives to at least give the guy a chance....

Lawrence Timmons wasn't the ideal pick for the 3-4 either...Yes he still has trouble shedding blocks and question marks at stopping the run but he still has become a player in his own right despite playing in a scheme that doesn't suit his talent.........

I think having players like Hood and Timmons will give the Steelers to further evolve their defense if the coaches choose to do so......

My opinion Urbik has far more upside then Cameron Stephenson did when he was drafted.....

Mike Wallace is taller then Willie Reid....I think he is also a more polished WR coming out of college then Reid was....Sure he still needs to refine his route running and things of that nature.....Reid also had a ton of upside but a nasty foot injury derailed his career....

TEEMONT
04-26-2009, 11:04 PM
i figured lol

I wouldnt get too upset dude. I know its easy to second guess the FO, but lets wait till Lebeau and Tomlin (notcie I didnt say Arians...lol) get their hands on these dudes and coach them up a little bit. It just makes the pre-season a little interesting this year, thats all.

I do hate the Shipley pick, but oh well....I do like that Ziggy is a hard worker....maybe he puts a few more pounds on, and takes up some blockers...

in the meantime this shodl make u feel a little better

http://www.yourspacelayouts.com/Images/Sexy-Girls/images/hot%20chick.jpg

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Those boobs sure could take up blockers...lol

STEEL CITY TANK
04-26-2009, 11:08 PM
It would be so crazy (in a good way) if this draft turns out to be a Hall of fame draft class......and 25 years later this class has gotten 4 rings and majority of em were consistent pro bowlers.......and we did nothing but bitch (including me) God I hope we all get proven wrong about already tryin to dub this draft class as a bust......

K Train
04-26-2009, 11:09 PM
mcbean was 6-5 294 and was supposed to be the guy that could make that transition to a 34 defense despite not ever playing in one and he was no sloutch at oklahoma state. i just look at hood as being that type of player...to me there no reason to believe he can play in a 34 weve seen guys try and fail too often. he doesnt have the skillset at all, a penetration interior rusher who has never actively taken on a blocker in his life. i really think they reached hardcore and grabbed a guy that looks better in workouts than anything he'll be able to do on the field.

urbik is fatter than stephenson but hes got the same knocks on him....i do not like kemo at all but once he hits a block he finishes it, even if its not his assignment...urbik doesnt finish blocks, is very heavy on his feet and im just not sure what they saw in him hes not a good athlete at all....i would have rather had johnson just cause hes a mammoth or green, even though they would have been reaches as well

BFISHIN80
04-26-2009, 11:14 PM

There is no point even arguing with him.....He'll argue till he's blue in the face that pigs **** gold.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-27-2009, 12:06 AM
shipleys days as being known as a solid starter were over when usc stomped the **** out of them in the rose bowl

Funny u say that because scouts say that was one of his more impressive games. That and the games against OSU and UofM. He always held his own against top flight talent!!!

Guys like Aaron Maybin are reason to wonder about PSU talent. He was a one year wonder who only got the starting nod due to injury. A guy like Shipley, who has been solid his whole college career, is worth a seventh round pick.

You want to hear his upside Rockers... He's a heady player who can recognize a blitz early and pick up his block (Something none of our interior linemen can do!!!) He comes off of Doubles well to get to the second level guys.

how many times have we seen this scenerio: Hartwig and Simmons/Chris-K/Stapleton doubling a DL allowing MLB's to come right off of his *** to blow up plays in the backfield??? Too f**king many!!! None of thsoe guys can make the adjustment and come of their man to pick up next level defenders... thats Down Blocking 101!!! I agree with you, Rockers, he may have trouble with guys like Big Baby and Ngata... WHO DOESNT IN 1-ON-1???

He's been undersized forever and has had to rely on skills, tenacity and brains to be an award winning OL at PSU.

Hate someone after they show u they didnt make the grade, Ktrain... ie Anthony Smith (i still like him anyways), Willie Reid, Ryan McBean etc. Those guys were much higher draft picks.

K Train
04-27-2009, 12:11 AM
it might have been a good game but he really doesnt translate to the pros well at all in any way....sorry dude, hes in over his head.

steelcityrockers
04-27-2009, 08:22 AM
You want to hear his upside Rockers... He's a heady player who can recognize a blitz early and pick up his block (Something none of our interior linemen can do!!!) He comes off of Doubles well to get to the second level guys.

how many times have we seen this scenerio: Hartwig and Simmons/Chris-K/Stapleton doubling a DL allowing MLB's to come right off of his *** to blow up plays in the backfield??? Too f**king many!!! None of thsoe guys can make the adjustment and come of their man to pick up next level defenders... thats Down Blocking 101!!! I agree with you, Rockers, he may have trouble with guys like Big Baby and Ngata... WHO DOESNT IN 1-ON-1???

First off, yes they can there is a reason they start in the NFL. Secondly, his upside is very limited because he is completely maxed out in every way. Now see, when Hartwig or Mahan couldn't handle Ngata or Shaun Rogers or Kelly Gregg or Vince Wilfork, it was because they sucked.

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Thank God some of the morons on this site , is not working in our front office , and making the decisions who we draft for our organization. We would probably still have four rings if they did. They draft the best player they believe to be the best to fit our system , and i think they have proven they kind of know what their doing ,unlike some of the morons cutting down our picks. There is a reason we picked 32nd remember?

K Train
04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Thank God some of the morons on this site , is not working in our front office , and making the decisions who we draft for our organization. We would probably still have four rings if they did. They draft the best player they believe to be the best to fit our system , and i think they have proven they kind of know what their doing ,unlike some of the morons cutting down our picks. There is a reason we picked 32nd remember?

we are a big body oline not a undersized zone blocking at best oline....this pick was a surprise to alot of people looking in.....the only morons are those that think shipley can contibute in the pros

DBR96A
04-27-2009, 12:58 PM
****, Shipley's a 7th-round pick! Low risk, high reward!

Zachintosh66
04-27-2009, 01:07 PM

AMEN... for those of you crying about guys who havent even put the uniform on yet! SHUT UP or go buy a Browns Jersey... annoying

JensK
04-27-2009, 01:53 PM
AMEN... for those of you crying about guys who havent even put the uniform on yet! SHUT UP or go buy a Browns Jersey... annoying

Right so what you are saying is that everyone with another opinion but yours and Steelers FO are morons? I guess i'll be the first to admit that i, JensK, is a moron in that case.

I do not believe this was a good draft by no means. We got a lot of depth, but no real talent which will be needed since a lot of contracts are over next year, and Steelers don't rush players into playing, which basically means that if we let a couple of guys go, like Hampton, we'll stand without a real NT. We have no decent center at all and i could go on. If you do not agree with that, go ahead and call me a moron, but at least im certain that i know more football than you...

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Maybe they did not draft him to be a center, how can you get into the heads of our staff and front offfice ? Frankly , i trust the staff and front office , including Tomlin , he plays multiple positions and that makes him a catch in my opinion , not that mine makes a difference , but hello , neither does any of the morons and media either . I refuse to bust on a local pick , that grew up a Steelers fan , before he even hit the field for us . I condone his pick , and now he has at least the chance to prove a lot of people wrong. If his arms are short , i am sure they always have been , and he still made it , in my opinion , to the finest franchise in pro sports . Probably made up for that by honing other quality skills . Kudos to the whole Steeler Nation ! ! ! ! ! !! ! !! !!

JensK
04-27-2009, 02:54 PM
That is excatly the problem. If he dosnt play center who will? HArtwig who recorded most sacks of all center last year? Stapleton which has yet to prove he is worth anything? The funny thing is, so many people get extremely hurt when someone don't agree 100 % with what Steelers are doing. It sucks to be Steelers fan, cause we are not to have a different opinion than the godly FO. I know this is putting it on the edge, but jeez guys. Just because some don't like the draft this year dosnt make it a bad draft, make tehm draft guru's or make them hate Steelers or the FO. It makes them people who arent happy with the picks, and thats it.

K Train
04-27-2009, 03:20 PM
i dont get why people get so butt hurt when someone disagrees or questions a move....the draft in paticular....you act like all we do is hit home runs in the draft and thats far from the truth, they have given us reason to doubt some picks before. i dont like this draft class at all, in fact i might hate it but im allowed to. i swear im not as irrational as i sound, but i have serious doubts about alot of these players and how they will translate into the pros and its not because i google whack them and do a quick lookup on scout.com, i have spent alot of time learning about these players and watching them (except that dj johnson dude) and i dont see them as great fits for us.

i hate the colts for drafting a backup Rb instead of hood lol...pricks

DIESELMAN
04-27-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm neither jumping up and down with joy or pissed off about the draft. As far as Shipley goes, the best we can hope for is that he makes the team as a backup something. You can't put a price tag on heart and guts, he can at least push some of the other linemen into being better.

steelcityrockers
04-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Maybe they did not draft him to be a center, how can you get into the heads of our staff and front offfice ? Frankly , i trust the staff and front office , including Tomlin , he plays multiple positions and that makes him a catch in my opinion , not that mine makes a difference , but hello , neither does any of the morons and media either . I refuse to bust on a local pick , that grew up a Steelers fan , before he even hit the field for us . I condone his pick , and now he has at least the chance to prove a lot of people wrong. If his arms are short , i am sure they always have been , and he still made it , in my opinion , to the finest franchise in pro sports . Probably made up for that by honing other quality skills . Kudos to the whole Steeler Nation ! ! ! ! ! !! ! !! !!

Shipley has no position versatility. At all. He is a center and nothing else; so they drafted him to play center. He will get molested by any DT thats worth a ****, because of said short arms and lack of size. Making it in college ball says nothing about whether he will make it in the NFL. There are many, many, many examples of that (Eric Crouch, Chris Leak, etc.)

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-27-2009, 03:51 PM
This is a no win topic..there are those of us that like the pick and some that do not..let's just end it now and then we can dig this thread up in about a year and bust out the I told ya so's..and since we are all Steeler fans here let's hope it's us AQ fans that get to do it.

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-27-2009, 04:01 PM
We just have to give the guy a chance to see what he can do is basically what i am saying , before we stomp him in the ground . From all i have read and seen about him , he is a team player , and good leader on and off the field. His charactor is not even close to being in question here . He has aquired recognition for his playing in college . Joe certainly gave him a chance , and he was not entirely dissapointed with his tenure as part of his team , if at all . Paterno , i would think is a better judge of football ability than even a lot of media morons will ever be . Have we had busts before ? Which team has not . Have we found diamonds in the ruff before ? You bet your *** we have . He is here because he is a quality player , and more importantly , a quality person with leadership skills. Everyone wants to cut on our o-line , and when we make an attempt to help improve , they still cut down our team . We picked 32nd for a reason . Tomlin was happy to be in that position , and i damn sure am too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-27-2009, 04:10 PM
lol..your preaching to the choir with me..:yellowthumb:

K Train
04-27-2009, 04:13 PM
lets hop off paterno...hes been around a long time, i know, but hes not a pro coach or a pro scout and honestly penn state isnt known for cranking out good pros even when they are highly ranked. theres a few (poz) but for the most part nothing special, especially on offense

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-27-2009, 04:22 PM
lets hop off paterno...hes been around a long time, i know, but hes not a pro coach or a pro scout and honestly penn state isnt known for cranking out good pros even when they are highly ranked. theres a few (poz) but for the most part nothing special, especially on offense

Nobody is saying he's the next superstar..but i have seen him as high as the #2 center in the draft on some mocks..and the fact we got him in the 7th is a good thing.Of course i'm wearing my blue/white shades when i'm talking him up,but i got high hopes for this kid for 2 reasons..PSU alum and now he's in the Black and Gold..as much as you hate him you got to come to the dark side and start routin for him.

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-27-2009, 04:50 PM

Yeah , i'm sorry , i almost forgot they did not even crank out Franco on offense , i don't know what is with my thinking sometimes .

--- Added 4/27/2009 at 02:50 PM ---

It's all about technique when it comes to where you are and where you will go . If the freakin man has short arms , i could care less like i said . He obviously made counter adjustments to get where he is now , a member of the World Champs in his own home town . I hope i can come back in a year or so and laugh in the faces of all the great talent scoper-outers . They do miss a lot of stuff believe it or not . To me this young man comes to camp with a chip on his shoulder ,and rightfully so , and does what he does best , work hard and try to be the best he can be . If you ask for more than that ,maybe you are right , he shouldn't be in the sweet position he is in. OH yea Rocker ,he can play other positions too !

K Train
04-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah , i'm sorry , i almost forgot they did not even crank out Franco on offense , i don't know what is with my thinking sometimes .

--- Added 4/27/2009 at 02:50 PM ---

It's all about technique when it comes to where you are and where you will go . If the freakin man has short arms , i could care less like i said . He obviously made counter adjustments to get where he is now , a member of the World Champs in his own home town . I hope i can come back in a year or so and laugh in the faces of all the great talent scoper-outers . They do miss a lot of stuff believe it or not . To me this young man comes to camp with a chip on his shoulder ,and rightfully so , and does what he does best , work hard and try to be the best he can be . If you ask for more than that ,maybe you are right , he shouldn't be in the sweet position he is in. OH yea Rocker ,he can play other positions too !
really? were going back to the 70s for this argmuent? your reaching now. of course they have some pros but some colleges are just masters of getting the kind of players to fit their system and nothing else and some are just pro prospect factories. florida and penn state are schools that are contenders every year and have a handful of solid pros but many more duds that were great collegiate players, but then you have teams like USC, LSU, Ohio State that are contenders every year but crank out a dozen pro prospects a year

oh please do tell me what other positions he can play...special teams? everyone seems to think all centers are good guards

steelcityrockers
04-27-2009, 05:02 PM
We just have to give the guy a chance to see what he can do is basically what i am saying , before we stomp him in the ground . From all i have read and seen about him , he is a team player , and good leader on and off the field. His charactor is not even close to being in question here . He has aquired recognition for his playing in college . Joe certainly gave him a chance , and he was not entirely dissapointed with his tenure as part of his team , if at all . Paterno , i would think is a better judge of football ability than even a lot of media morons will ever be . Have we had busts before ? Which team has not . Have we found diamonds in the ruff before ? You bet your *** we have . He is here because he is a quality player , and more importantly , a quality person with leadership skills. Everyone wants to cut on our o-line , and when we make an attempt to help improve , they still cut down our team . We picked 32nd for a reason . Tomlin was happy to be in that position , and i damn sure am too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

No one has ever questioned his character, it's a matter of his ability and talent which is pretty lacking on the pro level.

Peazy, mock drafts are completely and utterly pointless and at no time should they be consulted for how good a player is or where he should go.

Gettysburg again, you simply cannot bring up Franco as a basis for comparison. It makes absolutely no sense what so ever. That is like saying Texas A&M-Kingsville churns out good players because Darrel Green went there...27 years ago.

K Train
04-27-2009, 05:15 PM
im pretty sure koopa goes there....lol. and im pretty sure eva longoria went there....just sayin lol

we all know franco harris went there, and jeff hartings and a bunch of other solid contibutors...but there is a much bigger list of bums and busts...i could list them if you want too...then i could even compare them to usc, osu, miami and see where they stand

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
I have no problems with people having issues with this draft and I have no problems with people loving this draft....To me this was a strange draft and I really don't know what the Steelers could have done different....Maybe trade up for an elite OT in the first....Maybe they tried and the price was to steep....I don't know....

The Steelers needed to get some young DL and they did that with two picks...I agree both Hood and Harris might not be the best fits for the 3-4......But who know they might make the transition and I'm willing to give them a chance.....

The Steelers needed to upgrade their return units...Wallace and Burnett should provide that...Plus Wallace is a WR which they needed another WR.....Burnett and Lewis give us depth at corner.....

Urbik and Shipley provide competition along the OL......Shipley is a big time under dog to make the squad and I don't expect him to make it...But he has his shot......

Frank the Tank gives another RB who can maybe take the spot of Carey Davis......

DJ Johnson gives a blocking FB/TE.......The guy can lead block...He probably won't make the rosther either but he his shot as well......

I don't know how these guys will pan out period so I'm willing to see them play before forming an opinion on this draft......

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-27-2009, 08:11 PM
im pretty sure koopa goes there....lol. and im pretty sure eva longoria went there....just sayin lol

we all know franco harris went there, and jeff hartings and a bunch of other solid contibutors...but there is a much bigger list of bums and busts...i could list them if you want too...then i could even compare them to usc, osu, miami and see where they stand

well obviously you are more into college ball than i am .I never have been a fan of penn state ,i have plenty of friends that can vouch for that. I have always been fond of Pitt , being from this area , but they have not been interesting since Tony Dorsette was there as far as i am concerned . I don't mind Ohio State , and i always loved the Illonois helmet for some reason . I can't explain that . Hell i can't even spell it . I also like Baylor , and AUburn . I remember the year they were banned from entertaining any national championship notions. Where did Jack Ham come from ?

--- Added 4/27/2009 at 06:11 PM ---

Shipley will be a part of our team , one way or another , wait , cause we have to , and see.

Troyisabeast_43
04-27-2009, 08:31 PM
I think both offensive lineman they drafted Urbik and Shipley have a very good chance to be starting on the Steelers by 2010. Urbik can play guard and tackle and might very well push Darnell Stapleton for a starting position next season. Shipley as I just mentioned I believe has an excellent chance to be the starting center in 2010 with Hartwig going to be 35 years old and one year left on his contract. Nothing wrong with both these o line picks what so ever.

K Train
04-27-2009, 08:50 PM
i would be willing to bet my life savings that in 2010 our starting center is not shipley, tomlin loves stapleton at center and thats what hes working too, and honestly i like him there too. shipley will be the starting center if and only if 1) the NFL comes out with its version of jr varsity practice squad teams or 2) ben bangs tomlins wife and he does everything he can to get ben killed by big interior rushers.

straight up i would rather have 4 lineman than have shipley start, at least he wont get in the way of the grown ups that way

have you ever seen urbik play? he stans zero chance of playing tackle

V_83
04-27-2009, 08:52 PM
I have no problems with people having issues with this draft and I have no problems with people loving this draft....To me this was a strange draft and I really don't know what the Steelers could have done different....Maybe trade up for an elite OT in the first....Maybe they tried and the price was to steep....I don't know....

In the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, it says they tried to trade up in the second for Unger or Levitre. So, I guess they at least tried.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09117/965866-66.stm

K Train
04-27-2009, 09:06 PM
i dont see an excuse for 1) not trading with the lions for 20 when oher was there because they were prime targets to give them 32-33 and some other picks and then the one that really baffled me is they just watched the ravens trade up to grab oher...he was sitting pretty there for us to make a move and its not like we dont do that but that is an elite left tackle that makes it look easy. now ive been quoted saying oher is my biggest man crush ever, ive wanted this dude for 3 years now and the most painful thing ive ever had to witness in sports was him putting on a ravens hat as a conjioned effort of the patriots and ravens....yuck. i will never understand letting that happen, especially since this team has lacked a dominant force on the line for years especially at tackle and we didnt need all those late round picks since we dont have that many open roster spots and alot wont be either making the team or contributing at all. Now i cant even hope for oher to do well against other teams, i want him to fail and i want harrison to whip his *** up and down the field. but i look at the whole situation as letting the ravens get better and i dont agree with just sitting there being a spectator when its a legit need and we have firepower to offer.

^this has a big big part in me being disturbed about ziggy hood (besides that hes an awful fit and i hate the colts for passing on him for a backup RB)

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Peazy, mock drafts are completely and utterly pointless and at no time should they be consulted for how good a player is or where he should go.

lol..oh yea..i was using a mock draft to tell me what kind of player AQ is..nevermind watching him play for the past 4 years at Penn State..i needed to glance at a mock draft to convince me...c'mon man.
I was simply using it as a reference as where the top centers were projected to fall.And trust me..i don't buy stock into any of the pre-draft crap, mocks or anything else of that matter..players prove it on the field not on paper.That whole wonderlic test is bunch of bullshit too..James Harrison couldn't even spell his own name when he got in the league.

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Tough pill to swallow for some , we got Shipley now , lets see what he has to offer .He proved to me he could come this far , i think he deserves a chance to see what he can bring to the next level of his young and bright looking career . I refuse to hack on a local boy that grew up a Steeler fan . Ain't gonna do it sorry . Let him show what he can bring and then let the judging begin. Peace out !!!!!!