PDA

View Full Version : May Go Down as the Worst Steeler Draft in History

DanRooney
04-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Pick 32: Ziggy Hood, DT. Well, with our defensive lineman aging, you can argue that this was a necessary pick with the top 2 centers off the board (yes KTrain, Mack went off the board first :lol:) He adds depth to the DL, however, this guy will probably not see the field at all for this season. It would've been much better to try to trade up after Mack was gone to pursue Eric Wood... Grade: B-

Pick 64: After waiting for 3 hours or so...I hear we trade our pick away to the Broncos. Thanks for wasting my f***ing time Colbert. At least we got two 3rd round picks out of the deal. Grade: B

Pick 79: Yes! Duke Robinson is STILL on the board. We've got to go guard...we have to. "With the 79th pick, the World Champion Steelers select GUARD...Kraig Urbik." YES!!! Duke Robin...wait what? You've got to be s***ing me. Kraig Urbik?! Kraig Urbik??!!! This guy is a complete bum!!! Did they see the tape on this guy? Downright awful. How do you NOT go the best guard available? Did our scouts take the summer off because we won the Superbowl? Grade: D-

Pick 84: Mike Wallace wasn't an awful pick considering WRs were flying off the board. Still, there were better players available. Grade C+

Pick 96: Not to be outdone by the last two picks, I see D.J. Moore is still available. Seeing as how CB should be the next priority, I'm writing this down as a done deal. Wait, nevermind. I know our history on day two. But c'mon...NOOOOO. Keenan Lewis? :rant2: Big, slow and injury prone. Grade: F

Ideally, I would've liked to have seen Duke Robinson, D.J. Moore and Antoine Caldwell drafted in the third. I hope the Steelers know what they're doing.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Duke Robinson is still out there for a reason...Think about that before declaring this draft the worse ever before these players even playing one down of football in the NFL....lol

K Train
04-26-2009, 03:15 PM
at a quick glance i agree....ill give them all a chance, except hood, i hate hood

Zachintosh66
04-26-2009, 03:32 PM
at a quick glance i agree....ill give them all a chance, except hood, i hate hood

:nahnah: i find it very funny how many people are so quick to judge... FO does more positive than negative in the draft room, So ill let them do their thing, since ya know they get paid for it and we dont...

K Train
04-26-2009, 03:37 PM
i can judge as fast as i want...i know im not the front office but im on the outside looking in and to me this draft looks awful

SteelCityKid5
04-26-2009, 04:57 PM
You guys are right. Grading a players before they even play. I bet you initially loved the Stees getting Timmons and Woodley. Let them play for a couple years then judge. The Steelers obviously know what they are doing.

Iron City South
04-26-2009, 05:00 PM
i can judge as fast as i want...i know im not the front office but im on the outside looking in and to me this draft looks awful

http://forumspile.com/BooHoo-Big_baby.jpg

:lol:

K Train
04-26-2009, 05:02 PM
hilarious.....do us a favor and kill yourself

DanRooney
04-26-2009, 05:43 PM
You guys are right. Grading a players before they even play. I bet you initially loved the Stees getting Timmons and Woodley. Let them play for a couple years then judge. The Steelers obviously know what they are doing.

I was a big supporter of Woodley. You can actually see me saying how great of a pick that was in another Steeler board (Stillers). As for Timmons, I was more of a Pouz guy :yellowthumb:

Callax
04-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Hello
K Train
and
Iron City South:

Whew!!! I can feel the sexual tension all the way over here!!!
PLEASE, GET A HOTEL ROOM AND GET THIS OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM!!!!

LOL

Troyisabeast_43
04-27-2009, 12:16 AM

Last years draft class didnt contribute hardly at all and how did that season turn out?? Oh yea the Steelers ended up winning the Super Bowl...Everybody just needs to relax and calm down. When all is said and done this season looking at how winnable all the games on that schedule are if Ben and the guys on defense stay healthy and play like we all know they can this Steelers team is going to be right there come next January again playing in another AFC Championship game and have an excellent chance to hoist Lombardi Trophy number 7 in Miami on February 7th.

K Train
04-27-2009, 12:20 AM
i understand, i swear im not as completely irrational as i sound....08s class is a different animal though as future skill position players i think sweed and mendenhall are gonna be sick. i think davis is a failure, im infatuated with tony hills....this class isnt exciting at all while last years was tremendous value and they took the best player available (except davis of course) but this year was reaches and poor value and all around bad fits imo....

jpele
04-27-2009, 12:24 AM
You all know , you can obtain an application to become a college scout for the Steelers. I get the feeling not too many here would qualify.

If you don't make the cut with Pittsburgh, there's always the Browns, Bengals or Raiders, you know ,the teams that draft so well year after year.

K Train
04-27-2009, 12:26 AM
i have a feeling i would be more qualified that you who just relies on "in the front office i trust"

jpele
04-27-2009, 08:57 AM
i have a feeling i would be more qualified that you who just relies on "in the front office i trust"

Really ? Colbert and company have two Lombardies, exactly how many trophies does the team you draft for have.

DanRooney
04-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Really ? Colbert and company have two Lombardies, exactly how many trophies does the team you draft for have.

Didn't know you were trying out to become the first Steeler cheerleader :thinking:

LatrobePA
04-27-2009, 09:33 AM
The draft is always boring when were not drafting RB, WR's first day...We don't need that, IMO the draft was a good one....

JensK
04-27-2009, 10:33 AM
The draft is always boring when were not drafting RB, WR's first day...We don't need that, IMO the draft was a good one....

I don't agree. The draft would have been really exciting if we had draftet mack, wood or Gilbert. The draft would have been fun if we had used our second pick to get a really good player instead of 3 medicore players in the third. There is a lot of people that could have made first day of the draft fun, players that was not RB or WR. They did not pick any of them

LatrobePA
04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
We won the SB with a patched together line, no real RB depth, **** poor punter, no return game.....We didn't need those big name guys from the draft to repeat, this year was about depth and that is it, we can repeat with current players, I personally have no problem with what they did, yea I was hoping for more OL help, but they must see something we the fans don't....We'll see I guess!

BlackGold4vr
04-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I agree with LatrobePA. We have the entire starting O-line coming back whether we like it or not. We did draft Urbik who is one of those big cornfed midwest guys who can immediately compete with Stapleton for the RG spot. We have Tony Hills from last year who had an entire season to learn the playbook and get stronger to provide depth at tackle. We have Sepulveda the RoboPunter coming back this year. We have Mendenhall coming back. None of the defensive players drafted should expect to see much playing time this year so there is no pressure for these guys to fill immediate needs. I think we added depth at the D-line and in the secondary where it was needed. We got a kick returner (Wallace) and a punt returner (Burnett). And we got a FB/short yardage back. Frank "The Tank" Summers who I think will be much better than some of the doubters on this site think he will be. Frank is 5'10 and 240 pounds and he ran a 4.55 40 which is faster than 16 of the 23 RB's who ran at the combine. The film that the Steelers watched on this guy impressed them as they said he was the hardest RB to bring down that they saw this year. I don't think it will be a challenging task for this kid to take Carey Davis's job! I think Summers can be our version of Le'ron McClain that beast of a fullback the Ravens have. The only picks that I think may ultimately be duds are Ra'Shon Harris, A.Q.Shipley, and David Johnson. But if you hit on 6 of 9 picks I would call that a decent draft. :yesnod:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-27-2009, 12:25 PM
I agree with LatrobePA. We have the entire starting O-line coming back whether we like it or not. We did draft Urbik who is one of those big cornfed midwest guys who can immediately compete with Stapleton for the RG spot. We have Tony Hills from last year who had an entire season to learn the playbook and get stronger to provide depth at tackle. We have Sepulveda the RoboPunter coming back this year. We have Mendenhall coming back. None of the defensive players drafted should expect to see much playing time this year so there is no pressure for these guys to fill immediate needs. I think we added depth at the D-line and in the secondary where it was needed. We got a kick returner (Wallace) and a punt returner (Burnett). And we got a FB/short yardage back. Frank "The Tank" Summers who I think will be much better than some of the doubters on this site think he will be. Frank is 5'10 and 240 pounds and he ran a 4.55 40 which is faster than 16 of the 23 RB's who ran at the combine. The film that the Steelers watched on this guy impressed them as they said he was the hardest RB to bring down that they saw this year. I don't think it will be a challenging task for this kid to take Carey Davis's job! I think Summers can be our version of Le'ron McClain that beast of a fullback the Ravens have. The only picks that I think may ultimately be duds are Ra'Shon Harris, A.Q.Shipley, and David Johnson. But if you hit on 6 of 9 picks I would call that a decent draft. :yesnod:

Dude..i'm feeling ya on this post:yellowthumb:..all except the Shipley dud thing..lol, but other than that i agree 100%

On Frank the tank...i heard the steelers saying they were bringing him to be a RB/HB with fullback potential..i thought it should be the other way around..With FWP,Mendy, and Mo at HB i'd like to see the combo of McHugh and Summers at FB.

TEEMONT
04-27-2009, 12:40 PM
eh...I can understand K-trains angst.

you guys have all spend literally every day since 2 Feb dissecting this draft, and figuring out what you want, and who you thought we should draft. So its easy to understand his disappointment when the draft went nothing like he thought it would. Train just has a different way of expressing his sadness than the rest of us.

I highly doubt he really wants anyone to fail as a Steeler, other than he can say, "I told you so".

Zachintosh66
04-27-2009, 01:09 PM
You all know , you can obtain an application to become a college scout for the Steelers. I get the feeling not too many here would qualify.

If you don't make the cut with Pittsburgh, there's always the Browns, Bengals or Raiders, you know ,the teams that draft so well year after year.

LMAO :clap:

Number99
04-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Pick 32: Ziggy Hood, DT. Well, with our defensive lineman aging, you can argue that this was a necessary pick with the top 2 centers off the board (yes KTrain, Mack went off the board first :lol:) He adds depth to the DL, however, this guy will probably not see the field at all for this season. It would've been much better to try to trade up after Mack was gone to pursue Eric Wood... Grade: B-

Pick 64: After waiting for 3 hours or so...I hear we trade our pick away to the Broncos. Thanks for wasting my f***ing time Colbert. At least we got two 3rd round picks out of the deal. Grade: B

Pick 79: Yes! Duke Robinson is STILL on the board. We've got to go guard...we have to. "With the 79th pick, the World Champion Steelers select GUARD...Kraig Urbik." YES!!! Duke Robin...wait what? You've got to be s***ing me. Kraig Urbik?! Kraig Urbik??!!! This guy is a complete bum!!! Did they see the tape on this guy? Downright awful. How do you NOT go the best guard available? Did our scouts take the summer off because we won the Superbowl? Grade: D-

Pick 84: Mike Wallace wasn't an awful pick considering WRs were flying off the board. Still, there were better players available. Grade C+

Pick 96: Not to be outdone by the last two picks, I see D.J. Moore is still available. Seeing as how CB should be the next priority, I'm writing this down as a done deal. Wait, nevermind. I know our history on day two. But c'mon...NOOOOO. Keenan Lewis? :rant2: Big, slow and injury prone. Grade: F

Ideally, I would've liked to have seen Duke Robinson, D.J. Moore and Antoine Caldwell drafted in the third. I hope the Steelers know what they're doing.

try looking at the 1986 draft before you start throwing labels out there

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-27-2009, 01:49 PM

you guys have all spend literally every day since 2 Feb dissecting this draft, and figuring out what you want, and who you thought we should draft. So its easy to understand his disappointment when the draft went nothing like he thought it would. Train just has a different way of expressing his sadness than the rest of us.

I highly doubt he really wants anyone to fail as a Steeler, other than he can say, "I told you so".

I can see this point..i know there is a few guys that really do some serious research on these picks and put alot of time analyzing every position..and for that reason alone is why i don't even get that involved..i'd rather sit back and chill and watch the draft like every other fan who has zero input on any picks..and then when it's all over..then we can analyze these guys.I'd be just as pissed as Train if i got all excited about some guys and never hear there name get called with our picks.But i'm sure his weekend was complete when that 7th round pick came along. You know why the sky is blue and white?..because God is a Penn State fan...:lol:

Iron City South
04-27-2009, 09:59 PM
I think the trouble some of you (like Ktrain) have with this draft is that this wasn't a sexy draft. It lacked the star power of big names and sexy skill positions that were coming off the board before us. This was a draft intended to address some immediate needs, but more importantly a draft to build upon the future of this francise down the road a few years.

I have a HS friend who played pro ball, went to work for the Blesto scouting service for about 8 years, now works as a dedicated scout for the Steelers. That's his profession, his life's work .... 24/7/365 days out of the year he's on the road scounting football talent. I have a pretty good idea how much time, effort, and study go into the scouting process. At some point you have to resign yourself to the fact that we're all just casual fans playing bullshit poker with each other with regard to whom we think we should draft and why.

This wasn't my ideal draft by any stretch of the imagination, but you have to stop and consider that we're 5 months removed from being Super Bowl Champions and for the most part, everyone is returning and some are returning much healthier and with much more experience than they had last year. This draft made us a better team than we were this time last year and for that I don't have a real reason to bitch about much.

I'm excited about the potential of some of these kids. If they pan out, this could be one of the most productive draft classes in a long time. One that you'll look back and say, "Damn, now I understand why we drafted these guys!" If you look closely, almost every pick has Tomlin's stamp on them. Tomlin looks for absolutle football junkies who are committed to the sport. This class is loaded with "high motor", "high character" violent football players.

... just my kind of players!

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20090427_steele_500.gif

K Train
04-27-2009, 10:14 PM
bullshit.

its not that it wasnt sexy, we are set at skill positions for a while. its that best player available went out the window. I promise you that ziggy hood wasnt the best player available at 32, rey maualuga was and it wasnt even close. rey is a LB in the exact form of farrior, a headhunter that is big enough and fast enough to put guards on their asses he would have been a great addition. Ziggy hood was a reach of desperation to get younger on the dline, which is not ok when drafting, especially on day one. in round 2 i was baffled, i know gilbert would have been a risky pick but it would have been a fallback option for when ziggy fails. gilbert has much much more superstar potential and was the perfect size for what we look for....i would have been ok with going 2 dlinemen on day one just like we took timmons/woodley back in 07....you know, when we practiced best player available. passing on gilbert will not end up being worth urbik, urbik is the white version of kemoeatu, a fat slob with poor footwork....only urbik doesnt finish blocks.

stocking up on second day picks when theres not many glaring holes is stupid when you could move up and get a franchise LT like oher, or stay put and get a headhunting MLB or one of the most explosive dlinemen ive ever seen in gilbert. i dont get it and thats why i was a disturbed steeler fan this weekend

Scorp
04-27-2009, 10:24 PM

When it comes to the draft all we can do is guess, right? Very few of us might be right or completely dead wrong. That's just the way it goes. I think there should be changes to the f-cking draft. The super bowl winner should get first pick :cope: then the sorry team with the leagues worst f-cking record should get second. And so on and so on. You all can call me the craziest f-ck here but i think that is a very f-cking great idea. Roger Goodell where the f-ck are you we need to have a serious talk! :grin1:

Now ask yourself this question my SteelerAddict bretheren. Would you rather finish the regular season with a ****** record, dead last just to have a pretty damn good pick in the draft or would you rather the Steelers keep on winning super bowls? The draft is over. I doubt next year will be any better.

Iron City South
04-27-2009, 10:32 PM
bullshit.

its not that it wasnt sexy, we are set at skill positions for a while. its that best player available went out the window. I promise you that ziggy hood wasnt the best player available at 32, rey maualuga was and it wasnt even close. rey is a LB in the exact form of farrior, a headhunter that is big enough and fast enough to put guards on their asses he would have been a great addition. Ziggy hood was a reach of desperation to get younger on the dline, which is not ok when drafting, especially on day one. in round 2 i was baffled, i know gilbert would have been a risky pick but it would have been a fallback option for when ziggy fails. gilbert has much much more superstar potential and was the perfect size for what we look for....i would have been ok with going 2 dlinemen on day one just like we took timmons/woodley back in 07....you know, when we practiced best player available. passing on gilbert will not end up being worth urbik, urbik is the white version of kemoeatu, a fat slob with poor footwork....only urbik doesnt finish blocks.

stocking up on second day picks when theres not many glaring holes is stupid when you could move up and get a franchise LT like oher, or stay put and get a headhunting MLB or one of the most explosive dlinemen ive ever seen in gilbert. i dont get it and thats why i was a disturbed steeler fan this weekend

Then I'm forced to excuse your draft ignorance on immaturity.

Example, you said "Ziggy hood was a reach of desperation to get younger on the dline, which is not ok when drafting, especially on day one". You're implying that through the drafting process, we throw away intangibles they bring to our team. Intangibles such as ethic, character, leadership, motor, heart, are they mature for their age or young idiots with questionable decision making ability? Questions that need to be asked like, "Will this guys personality fit in with our team?" Hell, I heard Keiper say, "Now there's a father of 2 who married young and will play like he needs to put food on the table" .... those are all things teams scout. Be honest, you don't know **** about the other guys that you wanted only what they did on the field. You have no clue who they are as individuals or what they will or will not bring.

Very short sighted idea on what scouting is all about there young K Train ... you have much to learn. :evilshake:

jpele
04-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Didn't know you were trying out to become the first Steeler cheerleader :thinking:

Your Steeler history is lacking. The Steelerettes existed from 1960 to 1969,therefore it would be impossible for me to be their first cheerleader.

Now, how does my stating a proven fact make me a cheerleader ?

K Train
04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Then I'm forced to excuse your draft ignorance on immaturity.

Example, you said "Ziggy hood was a reach of desperation to get younger on the dline, which is not ok when drafting, especially on day one". You're implying that through the drafting process, we throw away intangibles they bring to our team. Intangibles such as ethic, character, leadership, motor, heart, are they mature for their age or young idiots with questionable decision making ability? Questions that need to be asked like, "Will this guys personality fit in with our team?" Hell, I heard Keiper say, "Now there's a father of 2 who married young and will play like he needs to put food on the table" .... those are all things teams scout. Be honest, you don't know **** about the other guys that you wanted only what they did on the field. You have no clue who they are as individuals or what they will or will not bring.

Very short sighted idea on what scouting is all about there young K Train ... you have much to learn. :evilshake:
i do sort of have an idea....you know who the high character guys are and who are the riskier picks. but ethic, character, leadership, motor and my favorite "heart" really only get you so far. i know alot about an awful lot of players, researching this kind of stuff is a passion of mine, i do enjoy it. you like urbik because he is a "farm boy" thats stupid...he can work as hard as he does hauling bails of hay and love the game more than his family and give 100% on every single play and still get blown the **** up and ultimately fail. i understand we dont want drug dealers or someone whos 90% more likely to go out and stab a hooker but we dont want bums either just because they interview well in their home. They can present themselves as professionals, thats an admirable feature for a player to have out of college, and im sure shipley does that and plays with all the fire and heart he possibly can but hes not built to be a professional center, especially in the system the steelers run.....saying i want a sexy draft is false, i wanted a productive and valuable draft which i dont think this was...my 6 favorite players in this draft were 3 offensive linemen and 3 defensive linemen, oher, wood, lewis, hill, jackson and gilbert

not to mention my favorite pick of all time was a ****ing punter lol

i like the burnett and lewis pick, it fills a legit need and made our return game alot better which was our only problem on a fairly strong ST unit.