PDA

View Full Version : What's the consensus on the draft so far?

TampaSteelGirl
04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
While I"m very disappointed with the first pick, I'm not really familiar with the rest of the picks..I REALLY wanted Unger..so versatile!

K Train
04-26-2009, 02:56 PM
i think i would be even more pissed at unger to be honest.

overall this is the worst draft ive ever seen the steelers do at first glance

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 03:01 PM
While I"m very disappointed with the first pick, I'm not really familiar with the rest of the picks..I REALLY wanted Unger..so versatile!

Max Unger wouldn't have been a great fit for the Steelers.....Big NT's like Haloti Ngata from the Ravens and Shaun Rogers from the Browns would have destroyed him if Unger was our center......I know he can also play OG and OT......But I don't see him as an OT in the NFL and I think he is mainly an inside guy.....

K Train
04-26-2009, 03:03 PM
ive hear 3 different draft guys compare unger to justin harwig....thats not good for unger lol

Callax
04-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Pitt Needs to get younger on the DL. I hope Ziggy develops and becomes a force on that line...
I wanted Pitt to get Jerron Gilbert, but he went to CHI in the mid 3rd round ($HIT)

I am starting to warm up to WR Mike Wallace SPEED SPEED SPEED!!! Hines will be a great teacher to this guy!

CB Keenen Lewis can be a project for a year and I hope he does well, Tomlin is very good with CB's
G Kreig Urbik has the size and decent quickness, but some technique work will make him from good to very good!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 03:04 PM
These players haven't played one down in the NFL yet.......I guess I just don't understand why some are disappointed......

ToothAche
04-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Let's see what these guys can do first before we right them off. I consider last year's draft a HUGE bust. We have a good group of starters, just need depth at this point. I think some of these players we have picked up so far in this year's draft may surprise us.

K Train
04-26-2009, 03:16 PM
you consider last years a bust? but this one looks ok? you have a very backwards way of looking at it lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Way to early to call the 08 class a bust.....Super early to even judge the 09 class.....lol

BlackGold4vr
04-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Way to early to call the 08 class a bust.....Super early to even judge the 09 class.....lol

:plus1:

Will the fans who hate our draft root for the team under protest? :hilarious:

TEEMONT
04-26-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't hate this draft.

Versatility on the O-line is about as overrated as Colon playing tackle.

TampaSteelGirl
04-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Well I personally can't say too much because I don't know anything about the rest of our picks but I did really like Unger and what I saw at the combine. As usual I have to trust that they know what they are doing..haven't failed us much so far...I'd like to see some sweetness for that Oline though..

--- Added 4/26/2009 at 02:31 PM ---

Versatility on the O-line is about as overrated as Colon playing tackle.

Ummmm how I love the sarcasm...

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Well I personally can't say too much because I don't know anything about the rest of our picks but I did really like Unger and what I saw at the combine. As usual I have to trust that they know what they are doing..haven't failed us much so far...I'd like to see some sweetness for that Oline though..

--- Added 4/26/2009 at 02:31 PM ---

Ummmm how I love the sarcasm...

Eric Wood was the best fit center wise for the Steelers...He was picked at 28 by the Bills......

Max Unger is a talented player but teams always have to take their systems in account when they're drafting.....

TampaSteelGirl
04-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Eric Wood was the best fit center wise for the Steelers...He was picked at 28 by the Bills......

Max Unger is a talented player but teams always have to take their systems in account when they're drafting.....

Yea I saw Wood too..not a bad choice....we really need someone for that Oline...they just got another CB...hopefully they are thinking about that damn Oline!!!!!! :banging:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Yea I saw Wood too..not a bad choice....we really need someone for that Oline...they just got another CB...hopefully they are thinking about that damn Oline!!!!!! :banging:

The Steelers did draft an OL in the third round in Urbik......Joe Burnett gives another corner and return man.....Burnett and Mike Wallace will return kicks now...Major upgrade over Carey Davis and Gary Russell who returned kickoffs last year...

K Train
04-26-2009, 04:46 PM
awful...deep down i knew they were gonna take summers just to **** me off

steelcityrockers
04-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Summers is **** awful. This draft is depressing.

Callax
04-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Let's see what these guys can do first before we right them off. I consider last year's draft a HUGE bust. We have a good group of starters, just need depth at this point. I think some of these players we have picked up so far in this year's draft may surprise us.

Most of the guys played very little due to the steep learning curve of the Steelers/NFL, injury or other reasons....
I'd call their rookie year a REDSHIRTED YEAR.
Now these guys can now contribute...

K Train
04-26-2009, 05:36 PM
i want cornelius lewis next....so i figure, based on the rest of this draft they will do the exact opposite...i say the 6th round pick must be jorvorskie lane

Callax
04-26-2009, 05:45 PM
i want cornelius lewis next....so i figure, based on the rest of this draft they will do the exact opposite...i say the 6th round pick must be jorvorskie lane

I'd like to see Pitt take OT Gerald Cadogan from PSU
I know that the OT Lewis is a bigger tackle
I'm just going as my basis for the decision the scout grade for Cadogan is higher than Lewis

just my opinion!
PS
OG Kemoatu was a late round pick (5th or 6th round)
and he was decent enough to get a 4 year 20 million dollar contract this year!

CNY_STEELER_FAN
04-26-2009, 06:17 PM
I read Colbert wanted to trade up in the 1st round, but the offers were too steep. I doubt it helped that our first round pick was basically equivalent to the 1st pick in the 2nd round. Although I also wonder if they were thinking about the effect of who they draft and what round on our salary cap.

Personally, I don't hate this draft (way too early to tell), but I'm not very excited by it either. However, it does seem to indicate they have faith in the most of the current O-line (I only hope they don't get Ben injured as result of that this year).

Callax
04-26-2009, 06:27 PM
If they don't get some help in the draft ( and it doesn't look like the OL is getting any this year) the Present Players on the roster BETTER get a HELL of a lot better or the STEELERS are REALLY SCREWED!!!
Ben goes down
there is NO LEFTWICH to come in and win some games, IT IS CHARLIE BATCH, NOT BYRON LEFTWICH, CUZ HE'S in TAMPA BAY!!!! Next year, but
DENNIS DIXON WILL BE PRETTY GOOD, BUT HE'S NOT PLAYED ALOT IN THE NFL!!
DIXON WILL BE A GOOD #2
has not started any NFL games, BATCH will have to play and I'm not really impressed with him anymore!!

DBR96A
04-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Kevin Colbert announced on Sirius NFL that he believes Tony Hills will be ready to compete this season. If that's true, then we'll have a new right side with Kraig Urbik at RG and Tony Hills at RT.

K Train
04-26-2009, 06:36 PM
sonny and ziggy are gonna be great sideline presences for us for the next few years....cute nicknames make you believe they are fun dudes, i can picture them performing puppet shows to entertain players and coaches while they are on the sideline not being able to get any playing time because they suck and get pushed around

Callax
04-26-2009, 07:07 PM
I thought Cornelius Lewis would be a good addition due to his size and what I read about him, but I also heard a little bit of a character issue..
Here read for yourself:
Offensive Guard | Senior | Tennessee St. Cornelius Lewis
Height: 6-31/2 | Weight: 332 | 40-Time: 5.25

Strengths:
Good size and great bulk...Very athletic...Quick and agile...Has nimble feet...Excellent mobility and range...Strong and powerful...Stout at the point of attack...Gets a good push in the run game...Tough, physical and aggressive...Plays with a nasty demeanor...Offers some versatility.

Weaknesses:
Did not play against elite competition...Inconsistent...Doesn't always utilize proper leverage...Will struggle to protect the edge...Doesn't use his hands well...Isn't a great technician...Has some character concerns.

Notes:
Began his college career at Florida State...Redshirted in 2004 then saw extensive action and even got a handful of starts in 2005...Was twice suspended by the Seminoles for rules violations and fighting before ultimately being dismissed from the team...Did not play at all in 2006...Joined the TSU Tigers in 2007 and immediately assumed a starting job at right tackle...Moved to left tackle in 2008...Twice named 1st Team All-Ohio Valley Conference...Also earned numerous Division I-AA All-American honors as a senior...Will likely kick inside to offensive guard at the next level...Played at a small school but is definitely a big-time talent...Top sleeper with intriguing physical tools.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Its the 7th round so even if a guy has character concerns then I say screw it and take a chance......

steelcityrockers
04-26-2009, 08:10 PM
I wanted Willie Williams but nooo. We had to get some ****ing no name TE.

K Train
04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
willie williams the LB from miami that was arrested a bunch of times a few years back? or different guy?

i wanted lewis, or appleby

steelcityrockers
04-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Yes THAT Willie Williams. Just for fun. He has a **** load of upside, and even if he never made it to camp because he stabbed a hooker or something, he would be 38x better than Shipley.

jpele
04-27-2009, 12:17 AM
:plus1:

Will the fans who hate our draft root for the team under protest? :hilarious:

I believe the haters are closet brown and Bengal fans. Didn't we just win a Super Bowl. Damn our FO sucks.

ToothAche
04-27-2009, 01:00 AM
you consider last years a bust? but this one looks ok? you have a very backwards way of looking at it lol
Havent called this year successful either.............I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Silverback 92
04-27-2009, 01:28 PM
added depth not talent

TampaSteelGirl
04-27-2009, 02:30 PM
So I"m going to say this about the draft......we as people havent actually seen alot of the players we've drafted, perhaps we dont' know their full potiental. Obviously the FO saw something or they wouldnt' be drafted. We just won our 2nd SB in 5 yrs now, do you really think they would draft a player who they didn't feel could be molded into what they want? While i'm not happy about this draft BUT they must have seen talent we didn't see. Just have to sit back and see, I don't see any of these draft picks starting this year, I don't think. Personally I think with some tweeking of our O-line and working with Sweed we maybe have another SB team this year... Gotta keep the faith. :yellowthumb: