PDA

View Full Version : Front Office Blame

PITT23
11-06-2006, 12:10 AM
This is a different thought but looking back on it you can see where this guy is coming from...

Plenty of blame has gone around the entire Steelers organization for the teams surprising 2-6 start. Everyone from Bill Cowher to Ben Roethlisberger to Willie Parker to Max Starks to Joey Porter. Well how about some criticism for Steelers Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert. If BlackandGoldInsider.com were to grade the Steelers last 2 drafts, they'd get a D. Here's a look at the Steelers draft picks in 2005 and 2006.

2006 Draft:
Santonio Holmes, WR (????)
Anthony Smith, S (doesn't play)
Willie Reid, WR (doesn't play)
Willie Colon, OT (possible bust)
Orien Harris, DT (cut)
Omar Jacobs, QB (cut)
Charles Davis, TE (cut)
Marvin Philip, C (doesn't play)
Cedric Humes, RB (cut)

2005 Draft:
Heath Miller, TE (good pick)
Bryant McFadden, CB (???)
Trai Essex, OT (bad pick)
Fred Gibson, WR (cut, awful pick)
Rian Wallace, LB (doesn't play)
Chris Kemoeatu, G (seeing some playing time)
Shaun Nua, DE (cut)
Noah Herron, RB (cut)

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2006, 12:17 AM
I dont think the draft is that bad.
Just because the player isnt playing doesnt necessarily mean he's not a good pick, but rather more of the player ahead of him is just simply the best we have at that position.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Well Holmes is developing as a WR. He is terrible as a return man. So mixed results for Holmes so far. But he will be a very good WR in the NFL. But keep him away from kick returns.

I think Anthony Smith should be playing more. At this point you have to find out if this guy is a player. Kind of hard to fault the Willie Reid pick since he has been hurt most of the year.

About Colon and Philip they don't play so how can you judge them. As for all the 2006 picks that were cut. They were bad picks since they couldn't make the team.

About the 2005 draft. The Heath Miller pick was solid. McFadden has shown some talent. About Essex again if he never plays then how can you judge him. The same goes for Wallace and Kemoeatu.

Look at the 2004 draft the only real player out of the draft has been Ben Roethlisberger. The rest of that draft stunk. The Steelers traded up for Colclough in that draft and that was a waste. How about Max Starks in the third round? He is terrible. Those are the only 3 picks from that draft class on the team.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Max will be fine, he had a good year last year so you cant call him terrible based on this year because the whole team is terrible.

House of Steel
11-06-2006, 12:29 AM
I think the Steelers have done relatively well in the last 4 years in the draft. You can't put the blame on the kids simply because they got cut. They did try their best, but their best couldn't beat a veteran out of their spot. We did draft some good quality players, but you know going from college to pro, we all know, they need to adopt to a faster playing game. That is where even some of the elite players from college struggle to grab.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2006, 12:30 AM
The last 4-5 years we've had mostly the same personnel with the exception of some key additions here and there. That doesnt bode well for good draft picks or bad ones. You have to keep that in mind. We are mainly the same team for years now which doesnt allow many rookies drafted on day 2 to make the squad.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Max will be fine, he had a good year last year so you cant call him terrible based on this year because the whole team is terrible.

Top Gunn Max won't be fine. He wasn't good last year. Max Starks was very inconsistent last year. Thats why at one point Cowher called out the Oline last year. For a guy 340 pounds he needs to dominate more. Well he continues to get pushed around by smaller DE's. Max is soft for a guy his size and has very **** poor footwork. Not good for an OT in the NFL. I would rather see Trai Essex in there then Max "turnstile" Starks in there.

House of Steel
11-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Thank you for adding that point, Matt. Well said!!! :bigthumb: I think we are going to be seeing a lot of changes coming at the end of the season that is really going to shake the organization and the Steeler Nation as a whole.

Prosdo
11-06-2006, 04:20 AM
I still don't get the Santonio Holmes selection. I'm sorry, but I was pulling for LenDale White huge. I just don't see why he was picked at all.

Anthony Smith I think can be something special. He looked pretty good during the preseason.

Bryant McFadden should be starting in my opinion. He did very well last year.

As for the upcoming draft. I see RB, O-line, and LB

BR7
11-06-2006, 08:27 AM
I would rather see Trai Essex in there then Max "turnstile" Starks in there.

****, you see what Essex did against Indy in the regular season game last year? Essex is a sad sad lineman. Starks is bad, but Essex definately isn't the answer.

I was elated they drafted Gibson last year. Then the dude just fell of the map. Huge dissapointment.

I think the whole 'bad' year is partially due to not having a true leader. Weather in the locker room or on the field. I trulely believe Jerome is missed in that aspect and no one has stepped up to that role yet. Even my Browns Backin' Brother agrees with that. Eh, either way, the remainder of the season will see what kind of boys we have and who will be there next year.

House of Steel
11-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Prosdo, LenDale White is a bust. Look at what he is doing in Tennessee. I didn't want the bum in the first place. Santonio Holmes is not a bad pick, but trading up for him was not the best thing to do. I am sure Holmes would of fell right into laps. I hope next season we do a much better job and address the problems we have. WE NEED A DAMN LEADER IN THAT LOCKER ROOM!!!

AZ_Steeler
11-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Based on where the Steelers have been picking the last 2 years I think the picks aren't that bad :dunno: Maybe the Gibson pick is the worst one but you never know how these guys are going to turn out. The thing to remember is this team went 26-6 over 2 years (excluding the playoffs) and didn't lose very many players so there really wasn't a need to try and get someone in the draft that is going to be a superstar... if they become a superstar then great but this team didn't need anyone right away but more people to groom for later.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-06-2006, 01:22 PM
****, you see what Essex did against Indy in the regular season game last year? Essex is a sad sad lineman. Starks is bad, but Essex definately isn't the answer.

I was elated they drafted Gibson last year. Then the dude just fell of the map. Huge dissapointment.

I think the whole 'bad' year is partially due to not having a true leader. Weather in the locker room or on the field. I trulely believe Jerome is missed in that aspect and no one has stepped up to that role yet. Even my Browns Backin' Brother agrees with that. Eh, either way, the remainder of the season will see what kind of boys we have and who will be there next year.

Ok Essex had one bad game against the Colts so never give him another chance. Also if you remember Essex played in 3 or 4 games last year when Smith was hurt. Essex did get better each game. I'm not saying the guy is Orlando Pace. But could Essex do any worse then Max Starks right now? Starks is 340 pounds and gets pushed around by DE's that are much smaller then him. Now Starks tall frame might have alot to do with since smaller DE's can get leverage on him. But still Starks is in the NFL now you have to work on those things.

Of course the team misses Jerome's leadership. I have said that many times and agree with that.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2006, 01:51 AM
Prosdo, LenDale White is a bust. Look at what he is doing in Tennessee. I didn't want the bum in the first place. Santonio Holmes is not a bad pick, but trading up for him was not the best thing to do. I am sure Holmes would of fell right into laps. I hope next season we do a much better job and address the problems we have. WE NEED A DAMN LEADER IN THAT LOCKER ROOM!!!

The entire Titans team is a bust, so I don't think we can judge him soley on his performance and attitude with the Titans right now because the entire team is in rebuilding right now and there is alot of dissention which is especially hard to deal with for a rookie.

He could have been good for us, but Im happy with Davenport and Willie as it stands right now.

House of Steel
11-07-2006, 10:45 AM
:iagree: I should of taken that into context, Matt. Thanks for the lecture.

Friday133
11-07-2006, 10:52 AM
we need to address the offensive line in the draft IMO. it seems to me they have aged dramatically since last year.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2006, 11:47 AM
:iagree: I should of taken that into context, Matt. Thanks for the lecture.

Now see here, do you need a timeout !! :lol:

we need to address the offensive line in the draft IMO. it seems to me they have aged dramatically since last year.

I look for instead, our OL to come back mainly intact. Smith, Faneca and Starks will be back, you can pretty much take that to the bank IMO. The only 2 real changes we could see if is Hartings retires and Okobi takes over, and if Chris K can win the job from Kendall Simmons. If those 2 scenarios happen it will deplete our depth pretty good so yes we'll need to look to the draft and FA to build that back up.

House of Steel
11-07-2006, 12:33 PM
:bitchslap: This is what you need for being a Cocky little Greek man. Damn you.