PDA

View Full Version : Kraig Urbik- 3rd round pick

Stlrs4Life
04-26-2009, 11:05 AM
G, Wisconsin. Can play 4 OL positions.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/kraig-urbik?id=71495

DBR96A
04-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Versatility on the offensive line. That's a good thing. Does this guy play LG or RG?

Interesting that Duke Robinson is still on the board.

K Train
04-26-2009, 11:07 AM
definitely not the best player available

awesome

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 11:09 AM

awesome

Ktrain.......How pissed are you now?.....I don't know about Urbik...To me he is the typical Wisconsin OL that can maul in the run game but will struggle in pass protection.....

K Train
04-26-2009, 11:13 AM
its this versatility bullshit that pisses me off....first we drafted ryan mcbean and now we drafted cameron stephenson.

robinson would have been better, hes a tackle that cant cut it at tackle so hes a beast guard....at least he knows his place on the line

Troyisabeast_43
04-26-2009, 11:15 AM
I wanted to get Derrick Williams out of Penn State at either 79 or 84 and the Lions just picked him up at 82...I like the Urbick pick though...He is 328 pounds and looks like a Alan Faneca maybe type player...

Captcoolhand
04-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Analysis Positives: Versatile player who could handle strong-side guard or tackle duties. Tall and strong with a solid punch. Very difficult to bull rush, as he uses his hands and anchors very well. Moves feet fairly well in pass protection, walling off tackles to create holes inside and getting to linebackers at the second level. Traps and pulls inside, usually finding a target to negate. Combos well, pushing with one arm on the tackle and reaching the linebacker. Willing to head downfield on pass plays to get to safeties and corners. Comes out of his stance with power and gets his hands up on his man's jersey quickly. Picks up twists and blitzes well.

Negatives: Plays a bit tall at times, and can get off balance. Loses the leverage battle at times as his pads aren't low enough in short-yardage situations. Best at trapping or pulling just outside the right tackle. Doesn't dominate smaller players in space as much as you'd think at his size. Tends to lean into his man a bit too much at the line, getting off balance and only adequately recovering.
Never heard of him :dunno:

DBR96A
04-26-2009, 11:20 AM

awesome

I've seen a lot of your posts since yesterday, and I have to ask: why don't you be the GM? After all, you know better what's best for the team, right?

Iron City South
04-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Total farm boy workhorse. Strong, big man, needs some work on technique which can be taught.

Bye, bye zone blocking .... :clap:

http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/k_urbik_090221_blog.jpg

Scouting the draft: Wisconsin's Kraig Urbik

By SHALISE MANZA YOUNG
Journal Sports Writer

Player: Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin
Height and Weight: 6-foot-5, 328 pounds
Position: Offensive guard
Hometown: Hudson, Wis. (Hudson HS)
Senior year: Started 11 games, allowed one sack
Career: Started 50 games; allowed three sacks over final two seasons
Honors: Two-time second-team All-Big Ten
NFL Combine:
5.37 seconds (40-yard dash)
29 reps (bench press)
24 inches (vertical leap)
7-foot-10 (broad jump)

Is he a fit for the Steelers?

Urbik is versatile, strong and a hard worker, which is a good start. A four-year starter for the Badgers, Urbik is hoping to continue the tradition of well-prepared, tough offensive linemen Wisconsin has sent to the NFL, like Washington’s Casey Rabach and 2007 top-five draft pick Joe Thomas.

Urbik began the first 16 games of his career at right tackle and then slid inside to right guard, and his ability to play both is certainly a plus in scouts’ eyes. A blue-collar good guy with a nasty streak in the trenches, he has a solid punch move, moves his feet well in pass protection and has good awareness in terms of picking up the blitz and a defender’s movements.

He started 45 straight games before a knee injury sidelined him for two-plus games last season, and the Wisconsin offensive struggled without its leader. However, he may struggle in a zone-blocking scheme and can get too tall in his stance at times.

K Train
04-26-2009, 11:23 AM
I've seen a lot of your posts since yesterday, and I have to ask: why don't you be the GM? After all, you know better what's best for the team, right?

i think you are totally right

DIESELMAN
04-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Everyone that has been drafted so far has a good work ethic and no off field problems, those are the players that fit the Steelers and work for us. That is what has made us successful over the years. No big names, no big stars that dominate the headlines, Steelers want and get team players that gut it out to get the job done.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Everyone that has been drafted so far has a good work ethic and no off field problems, those are the players that fit the Steelers and work for us. That is what has made us successful over the years. No big names, no big stars that dominate the headlines, Steelers want and get team players that gut it out to get the job done.

Very well said Tom.......Plus I just look what the Raiders are doing in this draft and I'm thankful that I'm a Steelers fan......

Hood, Urbik, and Wallace were not the players I thought the Steelers would end up with this draft but I trust the Steelers brain trust and like that these guys bring to the table overall......

DIESELMAN
04-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Very well said Tom.......Plus I just look what the Raiders are doing in this draft and I'm thankful that I'm a Steelers fan......

Hood, Urbik, and Wallace were not the players I thought the Steelers would end up with this draft but I trust the Steelers brain trust and like that these guys bring to the table overall......
Me too....nobody expected us to grab 2 LB's 2 years ago, let alone snatch up Mendenhall and Sweed last year. Overall, I trust what Colbert and Tomlin are doing, they know our players strengths and weaknesses and the Steelers as a whole better then any of us do.

igor0190
04-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Overall, I trust what Colbert and Tomlin are doing, they know our players strengths and weaknesses and the Steelers as a whole better then any of us do.

They are at practice every day!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Just looking through some of the draft day threads and...anybody think he actually might be able to contend at the Guard position. Stapleton did a nice job last year so he'll probably be backup for the time being but atleast it's depth at the Guard spot so it's not the worst thing in the world right!

He's your typical Steeler offensive line pick, versatile is always the key phrase Colbert and company look for in lineman.

Zachintosh66
05-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Stapleton did a nice job...
:evilshake::lol::novaloser:

I cant get over how many here like this guy. I re-watch tape from last year and it plain as day that he is the weak link. One word can describe this guy... SCRUB. I dont want him on the PS let alone starting.

Stapleton is nothing more than a peice of bubble gum in the crack of a dam.

LORD HELP US! Hopefully someone pushes for his spot...

BlackGold4vr
05-29-2009, 02:13 PM
:evilshake::lol::novaloser:

I cant get over how many here like this guy. I re-watch tape from last year and it plain as day that he is the weak link. One word can describe this guy... SCRUB. I dont want him on the PS let alone starting.

Stapleton is nothing more than a peice of bubble gum in the crack of a dam.

LORD HELP US! Hopefully someone pushes for his spot...

I completely agree with you! This guy is light in the loafers and cannot hold his own against mediocre defenders let alone the elite ones. He is undersized and cannot seem to put on the size needed to be effective. He is listed at 285 and I think that is being generous. Why anyone thinks he is our future center is unbelievable! Here is our line from left to right and see if you can pick out Stapleton.

337 lbs | 344 lbs | 312 lbs | 285 lbs | 315 lbs

Take out the 285 and put in the 323 and the line is immediately more formidable. I know size isn't all that is needed to play the position but in todays NFL a 285 lb guard is extremely light to block guys like Shawn Rogers and Haloti Ngata! :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Last year was his first year as a starter and didn't even begin playing regularly until Simmons went down. Honestly I don't think he did all THAT bad considering he was mainly a backup Center to begin with. Sure he has his share of false starts or Holding calls and may very well be best suited to play Center due to his build but he did a fairly decent job on a much maligned line all year long. Is he the ultimate answer at RG, no probably not, but he's all we got right now with starting experience on the right side unless somebody else steps up.

It still just kills me to see this team going into the new year with the exact same line as last year. This group should be farther along than what it is if the FO is planning on sticking with the lineup and not making any major moves to improve it. Unless these guys really come together I just don't see Ben getting any better protection than he did the last 2 years..which is scary!

DanRooney
05-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Our schedule is much easier defensively this year, so I believe our OL will be able to hold up a lot better than what we saw the previous 3 years.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-29-2009, 04:46 PM
yeah but the bad part is these guys are not playing well consistently against any competition no matter how good or bad they are. Our OL can make any average defense look like a top 5 unit. This team is too good in every phase to have such an average line protecting our 100 million dollar QB. If we had an OL that played as well as our group did during the SBXL run we'd be so consistent it wouldn't even be funny. How many times did we have to come from behind last year because of poor protection letting defenders through to drop the RB in the backfield or sack Ben before the play even started. I don't have the stats but just watching the games last year is enough proof for me. It's a good thing we were good in 3rd down & long situations last year or we'd have been in a lot of trouble.

It doesn't matter if Ben holds onto the ball for so long, it's his style of play and it's worked well enough to get us 2 SB rings since he joined the team so the line needs to adapt and get better some way, some how. We have pro bowlers at every position on this team except OL, arguably the most important position next to QB.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-29-2009, 04:55 PM
I expect Urbik to beat out Stapleton......Stapleton started out ok at when taking over for Simmons but his play went down hill as the season went on and he was destroyed by Dockett in the Super Bowl......Stapleton is perfect as a swing OL that can spot start from time to time...He isn't a 16 game starting calibur OL.....

Silverback 92
05-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Any body else still miss Faneca ?

andyg1984
05-29-2009, 07:15 PM
reality is that we have not picked an offensive lineman in the first round since 2002 and we are paying for it now, in the form of paying a guy who really should be playing RT left tackle $ which is not consistent with his performance and is , for the most part, a result of his bargaining power - that is not to say I would rather have an OL than some of our picks we have had since then , but come on - i mean look at the draft history there has not even been the effort - we need to trade up this year or next (especially taking transition time into account) or prepare ourselves to see Ben shorten his career hit by hit

DanRooney
05-29-2009, 08:23 PM
reality is that we have not picked an offensive lineman in the first round since 2002 and we are paying for it now, in the form of paying a guy who really should be playing RT left tackle $ which is not consistent with his performance and is , for the most part, a result of his bargaining power - that is not to say I would rather have an OL than some of our picks we have had since then , but come on - i mean look at the draft history there has not even been the effort - we need to trade up this year or next (especially taking transition time into account) or prepare ourselves to see Ben shorten his career hit by hit

We are paying for it in the form of a Superbowl :banging:

Seriously, the OL issues is way too exaggerated here. We sacrificed OL for probably one of the greatest defenses of all time by picking up Woodley and Timmons. I wouldn't trade any OL for it.

Stlrs4Life
05-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Any body else still miss Faneca ?

No, we won a SB without him. He didn't have a great year in NY. Bet he misses us more than we miss him.

BlitzburghNation
05-31-2009, 03:51 PM
:ditto:

Well we won the big game with a so-so O-line :scratch: Now we are returning with the same so-so O-line,,,,,,,Just hope history repeats itself :D

andyg1984
05-31-2009, 08:07 PM

Seriously, the OL issues is way too exaggerated here. We sacrificed OL for probably one of the greatest defenses of all time by picking up Woodley and Timmons. I wouldn't trade any OL for it.

1. Like I said I am not complaining about our early picks since 2002, I am saying that we need to act in the future drafts and move up - two guys could make a big difference ... The defense is stacked .. Max is overpaid ... Look at our O-line position by position and ask yourself , what is the upside on these guys? What is in the pipeline of guys who are not playing? What free agents have come in? Any investment in the O-line makes it easier to close games w/ the defense we have built and has its early return leveraged by Mendenhall, Sweed, Wallace, etc

Terribletowel123
06-08-2009, 06:08 PM

your right:bunny: