PDA

View Full Version : Off Mack On Wood!!

DCBill
04-23-2009, 06:50 PM
The more I think of it, the more Eric Wood looks like the Steelers first pick.

I argued for Alex Mack's "positional flexibility and utility," but Wood probably has the same plus the ability to play OT.

If they pick Wood at #32 (instead of a DL), I am hoping for Moala in Round 2.

Loadholt and Meredith don't last until #96, but possibly Cadogan
or JT Lang will.

Mike Thomas in the Fourth round and then two CBs or a CB and S in 5 and 6. Frank Summers in 7 and maybe WR Brooks Foster with our second pick in Rd. 7.

K Train
04-23-2009, 06:54 PM
The more I think of it, the more Eric Wood looks like the Steelers first pick.

I argued for Alex Mack's "positional flexibility and utility," but Wood probably has the same plus the ability to play OT.

If they pick Wood at #32 (instead of a DL), I am hoping for Moala in Round 2.

Loadholt and Meredith don't last until #96, but possibly Cadogan
or JT Lang will.

Mike Thomas in the Fourth round and then two CBs or a CB and S in 5 and 6. Frank Summers in 7 and maybe WR Brooks Foster with our second pick in Rd. 7.

your thoughts are skewed....wood is a center, and in no way has the feet to ever play tackle...hes very stiff, too stiff to play outside but he can maul on the interior. moala sucks for our type of defense, he would be great in a tampa 2. mike thomas will go in the second, at worst the 3rd because hes in the second tier of WRs this year right behind robiskie and barden

andyg1984
04-23-2009, 08:45 PM
If you watch the tape on Mack it is very impressive (granted it is highlights), but I cannot find any tape on wood ? I would like to say Mack is the better fit, but that is based on me not seeing much of wood .. If wood is as good as Mack, why has he not had this status his entire career - Mack has been a stud since his Soph yr ... Can we get this discussion going further ... Why does Kiper have Wood going to Pitt as opposed to Mack? If someone has tape on Wood, can they please post?

darnik44
04-23-2009, 09:25 PM
If you watch the tape on Mack it is very impressive (granted it is highlights), but I cannot find any tape on wood ? I would like to say Mack is the better fit, but that is based on me not seeing much of wood .. If wood is as good as Mack, why has he not had this status his entire career - Mack has been a stud since his Soph yr ... Can we get this discussion going further ... Why does Kiper have Wood going to Pitt as opposed to Mack? If someone has tape on Wood, can they please post?

Wood is hands down a better player than Mack. Wood also has the versatility to play guard (which I see as his best position). Mack is called versatile by many, but he really looked out of place at guard durning Senior Bowl practice. Wood on the other hand looked great at guard. I give Wood atleast a 30% chance to be the Steelers pick.

K Train
04-23-2009, 10:52 PM
wood is stronger (by alot) and has longer arms. mack is very very smart but wood is no slouch, he really understands the position and someone that wrote an article about the 3 centers calls him the premier center, while the other 2 may be the more well rounded human beings....wood can ball and loves the game...add that with being the best blacker out of the bunch im not sure what else you want, the man will put dlineman on thier asses

Iron City South
04-23-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm fine with Mack or Wood .... you won't catch me complaining with either pick. They both bring a lot to the table and will help this team immediately.

andyg1984
04-24-2009, 02:26 AM
here is some of mack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8xCkToEnJ8&NR=1...
wood = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ITpWeMOePc&feature=related and here is what else i could find http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f33fc6 ... either way there will not be premier OT's @ 32, but there will be premier interiors there , hartwig giving up more sacks than any center in the league alongside the non-steeler running game last year has me wishing for either of these guys

K Train
04-24-2009, 03:20 AM
youtube videos make all prospect look awesome, i refuse to use highlights as a source. to me its wood or hartwig round 2

andyg1984
04-24-2009, 09:23 AM
What do you have archived tapes of wood? What are you going off of? I said in my earlier post that mack looks good but "granted these are highlights" and i cannot find anything on wood ... Will someone find some tape of wood and post? In all honesty I feel that this is a very important discussion because the sum of the probabilities of us taking either of these guys is probably 50% ...

andyg1984
04-24-2009, 06:51 PM
found a little more on wood http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/eric-wood?id=71523#profiles-tabs:players-analysis

steelcityrockers
04-24-2009, 07:08 PM
My only problem with Wood is that he isn't all that adept at pass-blocking.

DCBill
04-24-2009, 09:59 PM
K--As I've noted, a lot of people have Mack going as high as 20 and before #32. Yet, you continue to insist that he si a "dud."

I realize that all of those mocks, experts and amateurs alike, could be wrong. But, as I said to you earlier, I think he goes First Round to somebody. And, if he is a "poser," not a player, I hope it's the Ravens.

K Train
04-24-2009, 10:09 PM
thats why you like him? because other peoples mocks have him as high as 20?

DCBill
04-24-2009, 11:43 PM
No, I like him because he is a high quality Center (a position I think where we need help) and has the skills to play OG and maybe even OT.

In that context, I think he is uniquely able to play soon or back up along an Oline which still is questionable.

When I looked at college Centers, I saw how Mack was rated ("No," other than You Tube, I never saw him play an entire game) by others (amateur and professional reviewers and mocks) and--to the extent that watching the Steelers for 55 years gives me any understanding of the game and the team, I liked him.

But, again as I noted, I think they easily could go for Wood instead of Mack (or more likely, Mack will be gone at #32).

Now, that's why I like him; why don't you like him?

K Train
04-24-2009, 11:54 PM
ok...well, he looked dumb at guard, a position wood looked very good in. he could never, and i repeat never play tackle. he doesnt have the feet, the height, the arms, or really any of the skillset to play on the outside ever. i guarantee he wont be a steeler come tomorrow night and i guarantee it wont be because hes not there when we pick. he will last to the second, maybe third round.

hes ok in pass protection and kinda weak in run protection, his feet are very heavy, wood beat him in every measurable except academics

andyg1984
04-25-2009, 09:31 AM
k - train may have made a believer out of me (saw some senior bowl footage)... wood might have more of a mean streak, mack is still quality though but he may be more of a technique guy and wood seems more versatile