PDA

View Full Version : There could be further deletions

Stlrs4Life
04-21-2009, 11:04 PM
The Steelers are near the salary cap. Finding the wiggle room that would allow them to sign key players to multiyear contracts won't be easy, especially given the uncertain labor situation.

The Steelers have such limited room under the salary cap that they released running back Gary Russell last week to make room for backup quarterback Charlie Batch, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said Monday.

"There could be further deletions as we move forward," Colbert said, "depending on how our cap situation evolves."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/...s/s_621517.html

BlackGold4vr
04-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Gary Russell was not released for salary cap reasons. He was released because the police raided the home he was staying in and confiscated a sizable amount of marijuana. Mike Tomlin immediately released him when the report was confirmed. :yellowthumb:

Silverback 92
04-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Gary Russell was not released for salary cap reasons. He was released because the police raided the home he was staying in and confiscated a sizable amount of marijuana. Mike Tomlin immediately released him when the report was confirmed. :yellowthumb: source ?

BlacknGold Bleeder
04-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Gary Russell was not released for salary cap reasons. He was released because the police raided the home he was staying in and confiscated a sizable amount of marijuana. Mike Tomlin immediately released him when the report was confirmed. :yellowthumb:

IF this is true then it's no wonder the bungles picked him up !!:banana:

BlackGold4vr
04-22-2009, 01:36 AM
source ?

scout.com
Russell was instead cut because Columbus, Ohio, authorities raided a house where Russell was staying with a friend and a sizable amount of marijuana was seized. This story was confirmed by a source with the Steelers, who added that Coach Mike Tomlin acted immediately upon hearing the news.

yinzer
04-22-2009, 09:14 AM
IF this is true then it's no wonder the bungles picked him up !!:banana:

it's really puzzling how these teams can, on a consistent basis, keep picking up criminals.

TampaSteelGirl
04-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Wow quite serious! Can't believe he was that stupid! I knew there had to be a good reason. Won't these guys ever learn! You don't hear a peep about Cedrick Wilson anymore..

igor0190
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Who will these further deletions likely be? Things that would help the Steelers cap situation...

1. Cut/Restructure Larry Foote
2. Sign Max Starks to a longer term dea

What else???

cmerrifield
04-22-2009, 11:55 AM
I dont think they will cut Foote, maybe trade, but not cut. Starks, but also Ward, Hampton could help. If we resign them for three years, that could free up some room.

Steel Trap86
04-22-2009, 12:03 PM

makes sense, if they were looking for room they would have cut davis over russell.

TEEMONT
04-22-2009, 12:57 PM
they just need to legalize marijuania....its no worse than alcohol.

TampaSteelGirl
04-22-2009, 01:23 PM

I agree! Maybe if the entire world smoked a big fatty everyone would chill out and quite murdrering, raping and just being so f*cking mean to each other...Love it what we need!

TEEMONT
04-22-2009, 01:31 PM
I agree! Maybe if the entire world smoked a big fatty everyone would chill out and quite murdrering, raping and just being so f*cking mean to each other...Love it what we need!

ad it would stimulate snack food spending....

three side effects to weed....hungry, happy, sleepy

SteelerBee43
04-22-2009, 01:33 PM
but then everyone would be obese and giggly...:rofl:

TampaSteelGirl
04-22-2009, 01:36 PM
ad it would stimulate snack food spending....

three side effects to weed....hungry, happy, sleepy

Exactly! :yellowthumb:
The munchies could actually simulate the ecomony and bring us out of this economic trainwreck we are in! Tee you're a genius!!! :clap:

steelerfan11
04-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Ike already restructured his contract...He freed up $430,000 on the cap...

LatrobePA
04-22-2009, 02:55 PM
A shake up is coming in the Burg....I'm betting a major player will be cut loose, FWP comes to mind! Don't flame me, I have a feeling something suprising will happen!

TampaSteelGirl
04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
A shake up is coming in the Burg....I'm betting a major player will be cut loose, FWP comes to mind! Don't flame me, I have a feeling something suprising will happen!

Ya know I have to agree there, now i'm not sure he will be let go this year but if he doesn't perform better this year he may be gone..curious to see if we draft another RB. :thinking:

Steel Trap86
04-22-2009, 03:34 PM
if they did cut parker they would have to get another proven RB, even though mendenhall has high expectations, he hasnt proven **** yet.

--- Added 4/22/2009 at 01:34 PM ---

and alcohol is way worse for driving. i can cruise just fine after i light one up lol

LatrobePA
04-22-2009, 03:56 PM
if they did cut parker they would have to get another proven RB, even though mendenhall has high expectations, he hasnt proven **** yet.

--- Added 4/22/2009 at 01:34 PM ---

and alcohol is way worse for driving. i can cruise just fine after i light one up lol

Agree'd, he's just a name I threw out there.

I live in c-bus, OH and I didn't hear anything about 33 doped up...

Zachintosh66
04-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Can we cut Tyrone Carter too? sorry... getting a little too jumpy

DahBurgh
04-23-2009, 04:27 PM
IF this is true then it's no wonder the bungles picked him up !!:banana: That is freaking hilarious. Honestly it just made me chuckle at work and when people around me looked at me for chuckeling I explained the situation and most of them got a good chuckle as well.

CNY_STEELER_FAN
04-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Ward's already on record as wanting to retire a Steeler and follow Jerome in giving a discount for doing so. It would seem he's willing to restructure his contract, the problem is, we're not ready to let him move into a part-time roll yet.

steelcityrockers
04-24-2009, 07:06 PM
makes sense, if they were looking for room they would have cut davis over russell.

Nope. Davis is the only full back on the roster and he is very good on Special Teams coverage.

Steel Trap86
04-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Nope. Davis is the only full back on the roster and he is very good on Special Teams coverage.

Davis is a bum, has bad vision, he's slow and he's a soft runner. Russell runs hard, scored touchdowns and was a decent return man on the those same special teams.