PDA

View Full Version : Want vs Reality

Zachintosh66
04-21-2009, 05:02 PM
ok here we go...

pick who you WANT the Steelers to be drafted #1...

then pick who you THINK they'll draft.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-21-2009, 05:06 PM
I want the Steelers to draft Michael Oher but I seriously doubt he falls to 32......I hope he falls to the mid 20s so the Steelers could trade up....

I think they will draft Jarron Gilbert if he is there....

K Train
04-21-2009, 07:21 PM
i would absolutely jizz myself if we got oher, he is a victim of over-analysis and will put the rest of the tackles in this draft to shame. jason smith cant run block, eugene monroe is fragile and andre smith is a guard....all while oher makes ever aspect of being a left tackle look easy. sadly he will go top 10 regardless, top 15 at worst.

tyson jackson is another want, rey maulagua is another one, a MLB in the mold of farrior....34MLBs worth a 1st round pick are rare.

need, well all of those are a need, but jarron gilber, william beatty and eric wood are all more realistic options

JensK
04-22-2009, 03:31 AM
i would absolutely jizz myself if we got oher, he is a victim of over-analysis and will put the rest of the tackles in this draft to shame. jason smith cant run block, eugene monroe is fragile and andre smith is a guard....all while oher makes ever aspect of being a left tackle look easy. sadly he will go top 10 regardless, top 15 at worst.

tyson jackson is another want, rey maulagua is another one, a MLB in the mold of farrior....34MLBs worth a 1st round pick are rare.

need, well all of those are a need, but jarron gilber, william beatty and eric wood are all more realistic options

This... I would be out of my mind in happiness if we picked up Oher or Jackson, which is not going to happen.

Gilbert, Beatty or Mack is probably who we'll pick up. Maybe even Alphonso Smith, even though i really doub it, and i would really hate it too

MillerTime83
04-22-2009, 03:56 AM
Want
Michael Oher, OT
Vontae Davis, CB
Robert Ayers, DE - my fav defensive guy.
Percy Harvin, WR - my fav reciever not named Crabtree. Ward replacement.
Brian Robiskie, WR
Darius Butler, CB - I dont know why everyone is down on him. I absolutly would take him at 32 no doubt.
William Beatty, OT
Eric Wood, C
Jarron Gilbert, DE - Wouldnt take him before any of these other players, but I would if they are all gone.

Probably
Eric Wood, C
William Beatty, OT
Alex Mack, C
Jarron Gilbert, DE

I said this before and ill say it again. I really dont think there is 1st round value at our spot. I REALLY hope someone falls that a team like the Pats MUST have. I dont want to trade down for anything less then 2 2nds, but I do want to trade down. I have faith in the steelers especially with Tomlin, but this pick sucks lol.

Ideal situation-------- Steelers trad pick number 32 to the Patriots for picks 58 and 47

We select
Eric Wood/Jarron Gillbert/Jamon Meredith/Andy Levitre 3 of these in the secound
Scott McKillop/Sammie Lee Hill/Herman Johnson/Mike Thomas/Kyle Moore 1 of these in the third

steelcitysfinestXL
04-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Colbert was on the Mark Madden radio show at 5:30 (tues) and he had a few interesting things to say about the draft:
-They have a list of players 1-32 and they will take the best player avail. not a rb or qb.

-He would rather trade up then down in this draft. he said they want quality over quantity and as nice as it would be to have more 2nd and 3rd rounders, they like the success they have had trading up to get the likes of Holmes and Troy.

-The rooneys, colbert, tomlin and the coaching staff are all together to determine who they draft and when... if they get a guy they LOVE start to slip near them they WILL be working a trade.

With that being said, my stab in the dark would be Percy Harvin or Jerron Gilbert. Cobert says they want the most value out of this first round pick, and they want that pick to be for depth. If they can unseat a starter then so be it. But they like the way guys like Holmes,Woodley and Timmons have come along taking a season to grow into solid contributors. The are hoping they are getting the same from Sweed and Mendenhall this season.

Percy Harvin- If this guy goes to a team where he needs to be "the guy" i dont see him being overly successful early. Unless he has a good qb in a passing offense (ex: Desean Jackson '08 with the eagles) to ball in his hands. He's fearless across the middle and as he is thought to be injury prone, he is a very tough guy. Rediculous speed with the ability to cut on a dime and elude tacklers. He is thought to have added value as a return man even though im not sure he did it at all in florida, he def. has the ability.

If he slips to the 32nd spot i would not be suprised or upset if we snagged him at 32... he MAY be the only first round worthy talent left in a position of need.

Remember, even though most of us think we must focus on the offensive line this draft, the line we had won a superbowl and got better and better as the season went on. Look at our offseason moves letting Marvel and Kendall go and locking up Chris -K, resigned Colon and tagged Max. Plus Colbert spent a good bit of time explaining how high they are on Tony Hills and what a steal they think he will turn out to be. They have a starting five that wont the SB intact... Plus they resigned Essex. The organization seems to be very high on this group no matter what fans, media or any other outside influences think.

Dont be suprised if the steelers take that player that slides in the first like Harvin may do... (ie: Mendenhall)

MillerTime83
04-22-2009, 02:13 PM
I would love to see Harvin at 32!!!! He probably can fall that far too! I see lots of mocks with 5 or 6 recievers go in the first. Mocks are very dumb and very fun at the same time, but I just cant see more then 4 wide outs taken in the first. Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin, and Robiskie. If we get Harvin at 32 and then trade up again for Gillert I consider that a win.:yellowthumb: If you think about it trading up in the 2nd round is worth what?!?!? a 4th rounder. Ill take that deal any day 1. Harvin,Gillbert FTW

JensK
04-22-2009, 02:44 PM
I doub they'll pick up Harvin. He has got way to much stuff going on outsite the field, and Tomlin does not like troublemakers.

BlackGold4vr
04-22-2009, 04:26 PM
I doub they'll pick up Harvin. He has got way to much stuff going on outsite the field, and Tomlin does not like troublemakers.

Agreed. With the news that Harvin tested positive at the combine there is little chance the Steelers would entertain drafting a prospect with baggage. If a guy can't refrain from the illegal drugs even when he knows he will be tested it doesn't speak very well of his character. He sounds like he would make a better Bengal. :yesnod:

steelcitysfinestXL
04-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Agreed. With the news that Harvin tested positive at the combine there is little chance the Steelers would entertain drafting a prospect with baggage. If a guy can't refrain from the illegal drugs even when he knows he will be tested it doesn't speak very well of his character. He sounds like he would make a better Bengal. :yesnod:

Um... look at the track record of our SBXLIII MVP!!!! Not that it wouldn't be a concern with Harvin, but it is a MILD one. I agree with MT83, there wont be more than 4 wr's taken before us so someone with first round status could be around at 32. That is what we all should want, first round quality for a first round pick. If wood, Unger, Gilbert and the likes can be had in the second then we take the best avail. player in the first and try to move in the second and/or third to get the guys who have fallen out of the first!

--- Added 4/22/2009 at 03:13 PM ---

im a lil more concerned with his attitude, than i am with the weed.. he's not the only top prospect to fail his combine test for weed!! Guy in college are used to being "the man" and Harvin is not exception. Hopefully if we are to look into drafting him, we had a lengthy interview with him. Like i said the weed is minor, his attitude is a lil more of a concern!

K Train
04-22-2009, 05:37 PM
he fought with his coaches and none of his teamates liked him at florida....hes all about percy havin....not a chance in hell we draft him

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was recently interviewed by Steelers Digest Magazine. When asked what his priorities would be going into this draft he responded: "I see it with increasing clarity the longer I have my job. I'm looking for guys who are talented and have humility, because the guys who are humble and even-keeled are the guys who will come into this thing and fit in, they'll continue to grow and get better, they'll take the criticisms of their game, they'll be accountable. The things that helped us win in 2008, the collective personality of our football team in 2008, are some of the characteristics I'm looking for in terms of individuals in the draft. In terms of specific positions, I'm not so concerned about that."

DCBill
04-22-2009, 06:16 PM
I want them to draft Alex Mack, becaquse I think he might be able to start right away but--with his versatility--could butress the line at two or three positions (four if he can play OT).

I think they will draft either Tyson Jackson orJarron Gilbert, both of whom would be fine with me, as long as they go Oline in the second and third or second and fourth.

I think Colon is out of position and Hartwig doesn't have "it" at Center. (I think I would rather see Stapleton at Center and Colon at RG, with a pure OT--Loadholt, Meredith, or even Cadogan) drafted in the third or second round, depending on who they tab at #32.)

K Train
04-22-2009, 06:23 PM
I want them to draft Alex Mack, becaquse I think he might be able to start right away but--with his versatility--could butress the line at two or three positions (four if he can play OT).

I think they will draft either Tyson Jackson orJarron Gilbert, both of whom would be fine with me, as long as they go Oline in the second and third or second and fourth.

I think Colon is out of position and Hartwig doesn't have "it" at Center. (I think I would rather see Stapleton at Center and Colon at RG, with a pure OT--Loadholt, Meredith, or even Cadogan) drafted in the third or second round, depending on who they tab at #32.)

mack is a bum, his "versatility" would be worthless to us.

jackson will in no way make it to us, at this point he looks like a top 15 guy

Zachintosh66
04-22-2009, 07:08 PM
ok ok my turn...

Want= Alphonso Smith #1... Dereck Williams #2

Think= one of those boring Centers, lol, j/k whatever keeps ben healthy

I personally think Hartwig is fine for now, it would be nice to groom a youngster to take over in a year or 2 (how long is justin contract?). However with that being said... I would love to see Stapleton get the AX! I really dislike this guy. I would love to see Capizzi or Hills or a rook win the tackle spot which could bump Colon over and bench the bum Stapleton...

K Train
04-22-2009, 07:41 PM
how do you really dislike stapleton? hes a center playing guard and did a solid job last year aside from a few mental lapses with false starts and holds but that happens to all young linemen, especially undrafted free agents.

if you wanna hate a player on the oline it should be kemoeatevery****ingthinghesse

darnik44
04-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Steelers first pick will be...(3 most likely in bold)

Offensive Linemen

William Beatty, OT, Connecticut (likely will require trading up)
Eric Wood, C/OG, Louisville (most likely OL pick)
Max Unger, C/OG, Oregon (2nd most likely OL pick)
Duke Robinson, OG/RT, Oklahoma (likely would be a trade down scenario)
Eben Britton, OT, Arizona (likely would be a trade down scenario)
Alex Mack, C, California (likely would be a trade down scenario)

Defensive Linemen

Tyson Jackson, DE, Louisiana State (would have to fall a bit and likely require trading up)
Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State (most likely DL pick)
Fili Moala, DE, Southern California (likely would be a trade down scenario)

Cornerback

Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest (most likely CB pick)
Sean Smith, CB/FS, Utah (2nd most likely CB pick)

Sleeper Pick

Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State

DCBill
04-23-2009, 02:08 AM
"Train," you're going to love Mack, especially when he forces Hartwig to take the pine!!

:rant2::rant2::rant2::rant2:

K Train
04-23-2009, 04:51 AM
moala better not be a steeler come this weekend

darnik44
04-23-2009, 07:16 AM
moala better not be a steeler come this weekend

There are a lot of strong indications the Steelers like him. #32 would be a little high for him, but he has some serious potential. Pre-season he was though of as a top 15-20 pick.

K Train
04-23-2009, 08:44 AM
thats cause people think hes gonna be ngata....imo hes a tampa 2 DT all the way through, hes a great athlete but i just never really looked at him as a potential 34end

SteelerRush
04-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Ok here's a thought. With Atlanta getting Tony Gonzalez what if Brandon Pettigrew falls to 32. He is not on anyones mock draft picks but Atlanta. With our two tight end sets we wouldn't need to draft a WR until late. We would have insurance if Miller bolts next year and WOW what about the red zone plays that could open up with two big TE's that can block and catch.

K Train
04-23-2009, 07:05 PM
id rather have ingram in the second

darnik44
04-23-2009, 09:19 PM
id rather have ingram in the second

Don't count on the Steelers drafting a TE that doesn't block. It just won't happen.

As for Pettigrew, I'd be shocked if he was available. But of course I would have said that about Mendenhall last year, and I was shocked. I'm sure they would consider Pettigrew. He would fall into the luxury pick area, similar to Mendenhall. The only problem is that would pretty much punch Miller's ticket to another team. Resigning him and carrying another first round TE salary would sink a lot of money into that position.

MillerTime83
04-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Don't count on the Steelers drafting a TE that doesn't block. It just won't happen.

As for Pettigrew, I'd be shocked if he was available. But of course I would have said that about Mendenhall last year, and I was shocked. I'm sure they would consider Pettigrew. He would fall into the luxury pick area, similar to Mendenhall. The only problem is that would pretty much punch Miller's ticket to another team. Resigning him and carrying another first round TE salary would sink a lot of money into that position.

and a position rarely used

SteelerRush
04-24-2009, 10:43 AM
If we don't do something with Miller before the season starts he will probably be signed by another team anyway if we don't designate him a Franchise player. We have too many good players who's contracts are coming up next year. Resign Miller now and reduce his cap hit and extend his contract. Miller is too valuable to the offense to let him walk.:imho:

Zachintosh66
04-24-2009, 03:08 PM
they wont let him walk.. he will be signed by kickoff weekend *as i look into my crystal ball*