PDA

View Full Version : Deshea Townsend has been terrible...

Troyisabeast_43
11-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Can someone tell me why Cowher continues to keep starting him over McFadden every week when he continually game after game keeps getting burned on these jump balls especially in the end zone. McFadden at this point is clearly the better guy to start and Im starting to really wonder now if resigning Deshea Townsend this season was a big mistake because the guy has been flat out terrible thus far all season long.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Most of the decisions are in question this year...why we don't use Najeh more (up until tonight) , why Holmes has been in there returning for so long, why he stuck with Coc in returns for so long, the list goes on and on.

As far as Deshea his play has really declined this year steadily. He had Javon dead to right on that 72 yd TD run and just completely missed it. He had a chance for that interception but couldnt control it.

Ive always liked Deshea and remember just last year he was our best pure cover corner, but McFaddens time has come IMO.

Koopa
11-05-2006, 09:38 PM
ike has also been terrible, he gets bombed on every game......

Steelersfan
11-05-2006, 09:39 PM
He wasn't the one that let Walker jump all over him. That was Ike. I would rather have Townsend in there right now than Ike.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-05-2006, 09:40 PM
I could have sworn that was Deshea..my bad. In any event, neither one of them is consistent right now. Unless you call inconsistently consistent then yes they are.

Steelersfan
11-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Townsend missed the tackle on Walker on the 72 yarder but he did the right thing by forcing him back to the middle. The rest of our D just stood there like a deer in headlights.
Ike got burned more times then I could count once again. Walker jumped over him at least twice for TD's.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I missed part of the game on TV so I had to hear it on the radio...but yes today Ike was just unbelievably bad. Walker made him look like a prep school DB.

Troyisabeast_43
11-05-2006, 09:46 PM
But if you look at these games Deshea Townsend in every single game we have lost has been in on a big big play in the game it seems like. Today against Rod Smith with that TD on 3rd down early in the game, and then the Walker reverse where I dont know what the hell he did to miss the tackle there. But the other games where he got burned were when TJ caught that jump ball on him in the end zone late in the 4th quarter, Malcom Floyd catching a TD before the half in the San Diego game,Michael Jenkins making a one handed TD a few weeks back before the half in the game against Atlanta. It just seems like time after the time the guy is getting burnt and looking very bad in key points in these games. I just cant believe overall this team has 24 turnovers already this year and last year they only had 23 all season overall as a team. This Steelers team has just completely fallen apart in the turnover fumbling area. Its insane to think they could turn the damn ball over this much week after week. Its getting to the point now where its getting down right disgusting and your expecting a turnover every single play.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-05-2006, 09:48 PM
I can't blame Deshea for getting beat on a perfectly timed jumped ball, he's just not tall enough to defend all of those and we should be able to overcome those in a normal year. It's the missed tackles, the dropped picks, the blown coverages that just kills you.

Steelersfan
11-05-2006, 09:49 PM
That could be said about our whole secondary. Even Troy was missing tackles again.

House of Steel
11-05-2006, 09:50 PM
This Secondary needs a major rebuilding project. The Safeties are the only bright thing on this squad. I say, we need to get some shutdown corners in the draft next season. Another damn problem, we need to find ourselves a bona fide Special Teamer in the free agent market. There are a lot of needs right now. I am lost for words myself cause I just can't figure out how the hell can this team go from Super Bowl World Champions, to Horseshit?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-05-2006, 09:52 PM
When it rains it pours...when Troy starts missing tackles like he's done this year you know things are going bad.

When the corners struggle the whole secondary does, they are a unit and if you have 1 bad cog in that machine it effects everyone. You start forcing the issue more and that causes more bad plays.

Friday133
11-05-2006, 09:58 PM
i'm shocked at how many players have aged since last season. its beyond me. i agree with a lot of you, townsend has been just bad. but if he's in there mcfadden must be worse.

House of Steel
11-05-2006, 10:00 PM
You know the more I am thinking about this, as the season progresses to the end, I see a major shakeup is about to happen this coming offseason from the secondary, to the offense, to the defense, and changing of the guard from Cowher to Whisenhunt or Grimms. I just want this season over and done with. I will always be proud of being a Black and Gold Bleeder for life.

AZ_Steeler
11-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Today... Townsend was leagues ahead of Ike! Ike was burned for 134 yards adn 2 TD's!!! Maybe Ike should have covered Smith and Townsend should have taken Walker!

Everything I saw from Townsend today was postive!

Black@Gold Forever32
11-06-2006, 12:25 AM
I agree that Townsend and Ike Taylor have blew big goats most of the year. But today its hard to cover that long when there is no pass rush? How many freakin sacks did that mighty Blitzburgh D get today? I think it was a big fat one. I don't know but has opposing OC figured out Coach LeBeau's defense out? I would give my left nut for the Steelers to able to somehow draft a Richard Seymour type DE for their 3-4 defense. I like both Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. But they don't dominate like a Richard Seymour. To bad those type of DE's are very hard to find.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2006, 12:29 AM
The Steelers defense is predicated on pressuring the QB. If they pressure doens't get there our defense doesnt work. It's as simple as that. The zone blitz has so many schemes and formations, so many times when lineman and LB's are in coverage and the secondary blitzes that again its all about the pressure and throwing off the timing of the plays.

Deshea is on the downside of his career, Ike is on the upside..yes Ike got burnt in a big way today, so did Townsend..but our entire team is playing bad right now so you can't really judge any 1 single person per say because they are all to blame and until all 22 guys including all the special teamers step up their game, nothing will change.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-06-2006, 12:36 AM
The Steelers defense is predicated on pressuring the QB. If they pressure doens't get there our defense doesnt work. It's as simple as that. The zone blitz has so many schemes and formations, so many times when lineman and LB's are in coverage and the secondary blitzes that again its all about the pressure and throwing off the timing of the plays.

Deshea is on the downside of his career, Ike is on the upside..yes Ike got burnt in a big way today, so did Townsend..but our entire team is playing bad right now so you can't really judge any 1 single person per say because they are all to blame and until all 22 guys including all the special teamers step up their game, nothing will change.

Well any defense in the NFL is predicated on pressuring the QB when you think about it. You give the QB time the QB will kill you. Thats why having a DE like Richard Seymour would be huge for the Steelers. So they don't have to always send so many defenders on a blitz. But today where was the pass rush? No rush at all for the most part and Plummer made the Steelers pay.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-06-2006, 01:31 AM
Denver was keeping the tight ends in to help out on protection and they looked like genuises doing it! Ike stunk out the place today, then again alot of them did.Where was Porter?
The Steelers are getting every team at their best and have been able to play with them. IF we don't turn it over, we easily have 3 more wins. A radio annoucer summed it up pretty well when he said that last year the STEELERS were the bully on the playground, this year the bully is getting punched first and he don't know how to react!!!