PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette's Column; Trade Down?

DCBill
04-19-2009, 06:05 PM
EB's column today seems to suggest with a dearth of high quality early picks-- (Pro Football Weekly, using a numeric grading system has only about 25 college players equaling their "first round pick standard")--that the Steelers could trade down and still get quality athletes.

Some of you have suggested the same thing (although I haven't been one of them).

However, if our #1 brought us a mid second and another third, I'd make that deal. That means we would have four choices somewhere between # 33 and #96.

Anyone else for doing that??

Zachintosh66
04-19-2009, 06:13 PM
sure why not... unless someone slips

were not gonna get a shot at a "Elite" OL... but could trade down and get a pick or 2 and still get a "hell-ova" OL

Black@Gold Forever32
04-19-2009, 06:17 PM
I would like to see the Steelers trade up but I wouldn't be against them trading down either.......Just as long they draft smart and well then I wouldn't care what they do....

MillerTime83
04-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Pats have 3 2nd's just saying

DCBill
04-19-2009, 09:58 PM
If none of our "favorites" are there at #32, then done, to the Pats for two of their second round choices (probably the lowest two).

MillerTime83
04-20-2009, 12:22 AM
I really dont think at 32 there is 1st round talent AND I also ffeel there is 2nd round depth. So hopefully there will be someone the pats really want at 32, but they are really smart about there moves.

Also you have to consider why would they trade the superbowl champs or even any AFC team if it wasnt a steal. They are very good at talent evaluation though so it is possable that they could want someone, but who know?

darnik44
04-20-2009, 05:46 AM
Ironically I was coming here to post a thought I had about trading down.

Steelers trade #32 pick to the Miami Dolphins for the #44 and #56 pick. This trade would likely require the Steelers to send a 4th round pick to the Dolphins and a possible 2010 day 2 pick as well.

Steelers draft...

#44 Eric Wood, C/OG, Louisville (to play RG)

#56 Duke Robinson, OG/OT, Oklahoma (to play RT)

#64 Alex Mack, C, California (to play C)

The entire right side of the line is rebuilt for the future. Wood looks best at OG, IMO and Robinson I think could strive as a RT. He could also play LG and the interior line is rebuilt. These guys all need time and likely only Wood would have much of a chance to start this season. I realize this would ignor all the other needs, but the value would be off the charts for the SB champs to land 3 players like that.

JensK
04-20-2009, 06:06 AM
While i really want Gilbert, i wouldnt be sad if the draft went like that Darnik. Especially if we were able to draft Lee in 4th or 5th.

DCBill
04-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

V_83
04-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Ironically I was coming here to post a thought I had about trading down.

Steelers trade #32 pick to the Miami Dolphins for the #44 and #56 pick. This trade would likely require the Steelers to send a 4th round pick to the Dolphins and a possible 2010 day 2 pick as well.

Steelers draft...

#44 Eric Wood, C/OG, Louisville (to play RG)

#56 Duke Robinson, OG/OT, Oklahoma (to play RT)

#64 Alex Mack, C, California (to play C)

The entire right side of the line is rebuilt for the future. Wood looks best at OG, IMO and Robinson I think could strive as a RT. He could also play LG and the interior line is rebuilt. These guys all need time and likely only Wood would have much of a chance to start this season. I realize this would ignor all the other needs, but the value would be off the charts for the SB champs to land 3 players like that.

I thought that people were planning on Tony Hills stepping up and being the right tackle this year. I could be wrong on the position, but I know that quite a few people on this site thought pretty highly of him.

darnik44
04-20-2009, 07:42 PM
I thought that people were planning on Tony Hills stepping up and being the right tackle this year. I could be wrong on the position, but I know that quite a few people on this site thought pretty highly of him.

It's definetly too early to wright Hills off. Before breaking his leg he was considered a top 50 prospect. That's best case scenario if he works out. In that case, Robinson and Wood both play guard with Mack at center. Starks is fine in my book as the LT, they just need to sign him long term. This would allow us to trade Colon to Cleveland or Baltimore.