PDA

View Full Version : Odds On 1st Pick

BlackGold4vr
04-17-2009, 11:24 AM
1. Eric Wood, C/G, Louisville – Not quite as tall and rangy as Unger, who could put on another 20 pounds, but Wood is more passionate about the game. In the Senior Bowl, he not only handled B.J. Raji, but showed surprising move skills as a guard, which were reaffirmed at the combine. While those move skills will never resemble Dermontti Dawson’s, Wood’s work ethic and attitude should spark flashbacks of Mike Webster, which fits Tomlin’s overriding draft theme. Odds: 5-2.

2. Max Unger, C/G, Oregon – The big man appears here ahead of Alex Mack because of his versatility. Unger played LT at Oregon for two years, and that spikes the Steelers’ grades. He’s also adept at pulling after making a shotgun snap, which scouts say is rare. This player might be the best bet on this board, since the favorite is more highly regarded than originally expected. Odds: 4-1.

3. Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State – The son of an NFL assistant coach, Robiskie is a real sleeper because of the run-first freshman QB at Ohio State last season. But Robiskie has the size and speed, and could also fit as a kickoff returner, not to mention as a big-and-nifty slot receiver. Big-and-nifty is by no means “boring grits,” as well-coached, disciplined kids like Robiskie can appear to be. Odds: 6-1.

4. Ziggy Hood, DE, Missouri – This athletic marvel was awful against the run as a gap-shooting tackle last season, and would seemingly not fit as a 3-4 end. But the Steelers love his athleticism and humility and figure he’d take well to the necessary coaching. However, a 4-3 team such as the Colts is a more likely landing spot for Hood, and if the Steelers are going to draft a player in the first round who doesn’t score touchdowns, or cover those who do, it’ll likely be an offensive lineman. Odds: 8-1.

5. Eben Britton, OT, Arizona – Another Tomlin-ism comes into play here. Last season, the coach was asked for his philosophy on drafting O-linemen, and he said “tackles, tackles, tackles,” meaning those are the better athletes and they can always be moved inside. Well, that’s the only reason Britton’s listed here because it’s unlikely the Steelers will reach for a finesse pass-blocker at the end of the first round. Such a pick would force Willie Colon inside. If this were Eugene Monroe, moving Colon would be the right move, but moving starters to make room for questionable rookies is too risky. Odds: 12-1.

6. Darius Butler, CB, UConn – A conversation with a scout the other day convinced me that Butler is the CB for the Steelers over Alphonso Smith (“In three years, he’s still going to be 5-8”). I talked to Butler at the combine and quickly sensed the required humility and business-like approach. He also has the talent with his quick feet and stick-em hands, and his return skills would make him an A-plus grab for the Steelers. Problem is, he’ll probably be gone. Odds: 15-1.

These odds are from Jim Wexell, sportswriter at scout.com Guess he doesn't think Jarron Gilbert is worthy of that spot. I would be happy with Eric Wood as our pick. No center in the league gave up more sacks than Justin Hartwig and I keep getting images of him being abused in the end zone on that safety call. Hartwig was never going to be a dominant center. He was a 6th round pick and we are his third team. Why not upgrade from a servicable player to one that could be much more than just servicable?

cmerrifield
04-17-2009, 12:32 PM
I am good with most of those picks, I would be the least happy with Robiskie. I also dont think we need to take a CB in the first round. If we do, I wont be mad if its not a reach, but we can find CB's in later rounds IMO.

K Train
04-17-2009, 02:32 PM
out of these guys i would be most happy with robiskie.....he is extemely polished as a wr. wood would be ok but i think he could be had later on.

unger wont happen

britton and hood would infuriate me

i dont see butler as a first round talent....wont happen

Black@Gold Forever32
04-17-2009, 06:21 PM
out of these guys i would be most happy with robiskie.....he is extemely polished as a wr. wood would be ok but i think he could be had later on.

unger wont happen

britton and hood would infuriate me

i dont see butler as a first round talent....wont happen

Wood won't last until 64....If the Steelers want Wood then they would have to take him at 32...Unless the Steelers traded up in the 2nd round.......I just don't think there is any chance Wood will last to pick 64......

Callax
04-17-2009, 10:46 PM
I would be extremely upset if Pitt go after CB.. We are three deep at this time, unless we get a top 2 or CB, the talent is about the same at end of 2nd round as at the end of the 4th round. As for a Cb, we can get D J Clark 6’2” 200 4.45 cb Idaho st in the 4th round...

I'm starting to come around to Pitt going after Wood or Unger. Jerron Gilbert is a 5 technique player that would be great in Pitt.
I'll repeat myself, trade down out of the 1st round, trade up in 2nd round and they'll pick up a 4th or 5th round pick. 2 2nd round picks and they get 2 semi need players (OL, DL)
Then that 4th or 5th round pick they can get DJ Clark!

DCBill
04-17-2009, 10:56 PM
OK--Mack at #32, 3-1 odds. Tyson jackson also 3-1. Vontae Davis, ditto 3-1 William Beatty, 4-1.

(Ease up K and Darnik. You'll learn to like Mack, I promise.)

K Train
04-17-2009, 11:17 PM
i really doubt ill ever love mack

MillerTime83
04-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Wood, Butler, and Robiskie all three would make me happy. I dont know why you guys dont like Butler hes a monster. A short monster, but a monster non the less.

K Train
04-18-2009, 12:31 PM
if i want a midget corner, ill take alphonso smith

Black@Gold Forever32
04-18-2009, 01:14 PM
if i want a midget corner, ill take alphonso smith

Smith has tremendous ball skills......I hope the Steelers don't take a corner in the first but Smith would be one of the few that I wouldn't bitch about...lol

K Train
04-18-2009, 01:17 PM
id bitch, id be pissed but i could deal with it....i couldnt deal with butler, moore, or sean smith

Black@Gold Forever32
04-18-2009, 01:52 PM
My bitching days are over....Since the Steelers won another Super Bowl it really doesn't matter anymore to me....They can do what they want.....I'm just so content right now as a fan that I really can't complain......That is why I havn't really been pumped up for the draft like years past....I still care greatly about the draft but the team has two Super Bowls in since 2005 and really are in a great position to win another....I'm just going to enjoy the ride...lol

K Train
04-18-2009, 01:54 PM
no i will continue to bitch forever lol....i hate making stupid moves in the draft.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-18-2009, 02:17 PM
no i will continue to bitch forever lol....i hate making stupid moves in the draft.

I hear you man and I agree with you....I use to be king of bitching...lol But one of biggest complaints as a fan was the all the losses in AFC title games under Bill Cowher and the draft every year was a new hope of getting the team over the hump......Now I have seen the Steelers win two Super Bowls in four seasons and all those AFC title losses from years past have finally been erased.....94, 97,01,04, and Super Bowl XXX don't even matter anymore to me....lol

I'm still passionate about the team and there isn't anything I love more on this earth then the Pittsburgh Steelers.....But I'm content as a fan......I'm not even going to complain during the season and that will be hard for me to do...lol

K Train
04-18-2009, 02:24 PM
remember when you flipped out on me during the bengals game last year because we werent beating them bad enough...up by 11 wasnt good enough lol

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16821&page=35

lol read pgs 35-40ish

Black@Gold Forever32
04-18-2009, 04:26 PM
remember when you flipped out on me during the bengals game last year because we werent beating them bad enough...up by 11 wasnt good enough lol

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16821&page=35

lol read pgs 35-40ish

lol....Yea I do remember that.......Hey I was just pissed that the Steelers defense let Fitzpatrick and the Bengals march down the field for a 7-0 lead...lol I'm serious when I say I'm done bitching....I can't bitch anymore after two Super Bowl wins....Dude I have been very low key since the Super Bowl win....I still love the draft and I'm looking forward to it but I can't really complain on what the Steelers do in the draft or how they play this season.....

I'm really just going to enjoy how the season unfolds no matter what.....It will be change for me since I did flip out during Steelers game in the past....You have to remember there was many years of play-off let downs and frustration built up through the years.....

I'm still shocked the Steelers won the Super Bowl....The offense sure didn't play like a Super Bowl offense many times this year....Except late in games...lol

K Train
04-18-2009, 04:33 PM
lol i want 5 more superbowls before im recovered from the cowher era

Black@Gold Forever32
04-18-2009, 04:40 PM
lol i want 5 more superbowls before im recovered from the cowher era

I'm recovered....lol Cowher 1 Super Bowl win in 15 years....Tomlin 1 in two years...lol Mike Tomlin is going to put Bill Cowher to shame...lol

$teelersRule
04-20-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm still shocked the Steelers won the Super Bowl....The offense sure didn't play like a Super Bowl offense many times this year....Except late in games...lol

Done bitching... really? :lol::lol: