PDA

View Full Version : Steelers release Gary Russell

Prosdo
04-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Steelers release Gary Russell
Thursday, April 16, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Gary Russell, who scored the first touchdown in Super Bowl XLIII, was released by the Steelers today.

Russell made the Steelers as an undrafted rookie in 2007 and became their short-yardage running back midway through the 2008 season. He rushed for 77 yards on 28 carries last season and scored three touchdowns.

His most important score, though, came in the second quarter of the Super Bowl when he ran one yard for a touchdown to give the Steelers a 10-0 lead. He previously lost four yards when he was tackled in the backfield on a first down at Arizona's one on the first series of the game.

Those were Russell's only two carries of the Super Bowl. He also scored a touchdown from one yards in the fourth quarter of the Steelers' 35-24 playoff victory against San Diego.

The Steelers gave no reason for his release.

The team also officially announced the signing of backup quarterback Charlie Batch to a one-year contract. He will receive a $745,000 salary and a signing bonus of $50,000.

First published on April 16, 2009 at 3:10 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09106/963361-100.stm

Kind of surprised by this move and wondering if they are bringing someone else in.

Stlrs4Life
04-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Surprised also. I realize Menenhall is coming back. But makes you wonder what he did wrong? He could have been cut later, and he wasn't a cap cut.

Steel Trap86
04-16-2009, 06:36 PM
wow, wasn't expecting this. i thought we would release davis if anybody.

V_83
04-16-2009, 07:31 PM
wow, wasn't expecting this. i thought we would release davis if anybody.

No kidding. At least Russell contributed every so often. All Davis can do is get stuffed in the backfield.

Zachintosh66
04-16-2009, 07:33 PM
too bad i had hopes for him...

Davis plays most if not all of the ST, but i agree

STEEL CITY TANK
04-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Surprised and shocked he had potential, way more than Davis.

HUNT4SEVEN
04-16-2009, 08:10 PM
He must of did something really bad that **** Pittsburgh off, or he has an injury:dunno:He was still more productive than that bum Davis IMO:yesnod:

steelerfan11
04-16-2009, 10:29 PM
This sucks...I liked Russell!

I thought he did a good job returning kicks...

between returning kicks and short yardage he is much more productive than davis.

cmerrifield
04-16-2009, 10:31 PM
There must be something more to the story. Tomlin always seemed pretty positive about Russell and if it was just making space or assuming we would draft someone, we would have done it after the draft. Wonder what the real story is.

igor0190
04-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Maybe he wasn't attending the offseason workouts... Players on the fringe of making a team that don't show they are trying to get better become expendable. Just a thought. But yeah, he must have done something to just get cut outright. Otherwise they could have used him on the practice squad at the least.

Silverback 92
04-16-2009, 10:41 PM
didnt see that comin, he will be back before long

DahBurgh
04-17-2009, 10:28 AM
That Kinda sucks I think we should have kept him he helped us out when we were looking shaky last year a lot. If anyone I think we should get rid of parker, he doesnt fit our offense at all he would fit in a west coast offense. Also its cool we signed Batch but at this point who didnt see that coming?

Steel Trap86
04-17-2009, 10:59 AM
I wonder if Arizona already called Russell?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-17-2009, 11:00 AM
This was a dumb move IMO, it's not like Russel was costing us a ton of money against the cap! He was a sure thing on any 3rd and short or 4th and short situations, total money everytime! I hate this move!!!!

Yes Mendenhall is coming back and we have Parker and Moore but it's not like Parker is lighting up the charts with his production, plus he was hurt so much of last year. We have no idea how well or not well Mendenhall will do, the only sure thing on the roster right now is Moore. They should have kept Russel, then they wouldn't have to worry about drafting a back or getting that 4th guy on the squad.

It could be that Russel asked to be released so he could get a job as a prime backup or a chance to start, that's the only reason I think of other than just the crowded backfield but even still I'd have liked to see him stay just for insurance if nothing else.

TampaSteelGirl
04-17-2009, 12:18 PM
I wonder if Arizona already called Russell?

No doubt..this was a dumb move on the Steelers...we are gonna lose him for good.:rant2:

Zachintosh66
04-17-2009, 04:58 PM
gotta be that they already sold on Mendenhall come short yardage and goal line

V_83
04-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Who's going to return kickoffs for us now?

NHSteeler
04-17-2009, 06:43 PM
I think there is more to the story as others have said on this thread.

With Parker, Mendenhall, and Moore, I don't think there was going to room for Russell anyway. I thought Russell was a 'solid at best' returner. So, not much lost there.

ejsteeler
04-17-2009, 09:10 PM
As already said by a few here, i think there is more to this. In and of itself, it makes no sense. Hopefully well be brought into the light soon.

Iron City South
04-17-2009, 10:22 PM
This thread needed more drama .... so I thought I'd add this: :lol:

Bengals Claim Russell Off Waivers
April 17, 2009, 6:40 p.m. EDT

The Cincinnati Bengals claimed running back Gary Russell off waivers on Friday, according to Bengals.com. The move comes one day after the Steelers cut ties with Russell.

Russell ran 28 times for 77 yards and three touchdowns for the Steelers in the 2008 regular season. He added two more touchdowns in the postseason, including their first touchdown in Super Bowl XLIII. Russell also returned 16 kicks for 371 yards.

That kick return experience may appeal to the Bengals. Wide receiver Glenn Holt, last year’s leading returner, signed with the Vikings as a free agent in March. Andre Caldwell, a 2008 third-round pick, had 13 returns for them last season and may be another option.

If the Bengals were looking to add depth behind Cedric Benson in the draft, Russell’s acquisition may indicate that they’re looking in a different direction. Russell joins James Johnson, Chris Perry and Kenny Watson as potential backups for Benson.

Talk about going from one end of the spectrum to the other. Wow, .. Now I know without a doubt that Russell has off the field issues which is probably why the Steelers released him this early .... :hilarious:

Well, at least the Bungs can finally say they have a Super Bowl ring in their locker room!

:haha:

Stlrs4Life
04-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Could be a good move by the Bengals.

BlackGold4vr
04-21-2009, 05:10 PM
TUESDAY, APRIL 21

2 p.m.: SCI capologist Ian Whetstone broke the news this morning that Ike Taylor restructured his contract to free $430,000 in cap money for the Steelers to complete the James Harrison deal. Taylor confirmed the report today. One of five defensive starters in the last year of his contract, Taylor was asked if he'll have his contract renegotiated prior to the start of the season.

"Don't know," Taylor said, "don't care. I let my agent handle all of that."

* Taylor's restructuring also helped the Steelers give Charlie Batch a small bonus. The previous day, it was reported that the cutting of Gary Russell was responsible for signing Batch. Russell was instead cut because Columbus, Ohio, authorities raided a house where Russell was staying with a friend and a sizable amount of marijuana was seized. This story was confirmed by a source with the Steelers, who added that Coach Mike Tomlin acted immediately upon hearing the news.

The Steelers are not a team that would allow a bubble player to bring embarassment upon the franchise. Now that we know the truth it is no surprise that the team with the most disciplinary problems would quickly snatch him up. He will fit right in after he serves his league suspension. :lol:

Lunchbucket
04-21-2009, 05:41 PM
The Steelers are not a team that would allow a bubble player to bring embarassment upon the franchise. Now that we know the truth it is no surprise that the team with the most disciplinary problems would quickly snatch him up. He will fit right in after he serves his league suspension. :lol:

Totally agree,once again the Rooneys' do the right thing.

0311grunt4ever
04-22-2009, 07:43 AM
This is what sets the Steelers apart from the Cowboys, Bungles or whoever keeps players with borderline character issues.

Silverback 92
04-22-2009, 07:57 PM
tomlin dont play around either

BlacknGold Bleeder
04-22-2009, 08:02 PM
ok I'm gonna stir the pot....why is ok if Harrison and Holmes get in trouble with the law but Russell can't sorta double standard... just sayin

Lunchbucket
04-22-2009, 08:54 PM
ok I'm gonna stir the pot....why is ok if Harrison and Holmes get in trouble with the law but Russell can't sorta double standard... just sayin

With all due respect,you make an intresting point.Could be alot of things that the Steelers were confronted with in each individual's case.Things like true remorse,attitude,and the facts of the problem might influence a decision.They would have to weigh a players contribution to the team compared to the disruption he causes,and evaluate that. You make a good point,does seem unfair.Guess we'll have to wait for the truth to come out.