PDA

View Full Version : Steelers keep Batch as backup

steelers4life66
04-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Got Batch one more year to get Dixson ready....COOL!

Batch agreed to a one-year, $895,000 deal, according to a source, including a $50,000 signing bonus.Batch, 34, is entering his 11th season, his seventh with the Steelers. A native of Pittsburgh, Batch joined the Steelers in 2002 and has played in 22 games, including four starts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4068338&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

K Train
04-14-2009, 05:17 PM
he wont be the backup, he'll backup dixon

BlitzburghRockCity
04-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Dixon won't be ready to be the main backup yet for this year so bringing back Charlie for 1 more season is the right way to go since Byron jumped ship.

Ambridge
04-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Charlie has turned into an injury prone "China Doll" and it would have been nice to have kept an experienced back-up like Leftwich.

Silverback 92
04-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Batch better have JUST ONE MORE YEAR left in the tank.. I hope

K Train
04-14-2009, 06:10 PM
charlie would fill in maybe for a quarter or a half if ben goes down but i think for any extended period they would get dixon in there....i dont get how people can say hes not ready after not playing this year, but he would definitely be ready next year after not getting any chances this year....if hes not ready now then when?

Hburg
04-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Charlie has turned into an injury prone "China Doll" and it would have been nice to have kept an experienced back-up like Leftwich.

What leads you to believe he is now consistently injury prone? To my knowledge he has played well when necessary. He may be old, but he is less of a financial hit on the Steelers budget than Leftwich would have required.

BuFu

Silverback 92
04-14-2009, 07:18 PM
What leads you to believe he is now consistently injury prone? To my knowledge he has played well when necessary. He may be old, but he is less of a financial hit on the Steelers budget than Leftwich would have required.

BuFu

we can agree he is older ,cheaper isnt always better ..heres hoping he wont be needed much

BlitzburghRockCity
04-14-2009, 07:21 PM
charlie would fill in maybe for a quarter or a half if ben goes down but i think for any extended period they would get dixon in there....i dont get how people can say hes not ready after not playing this year, but he would definitely be ready next year after not getting any chances this year....if hes not ready now then when?

So you're going to tell me that in a game situation if Ben were to go down that you'd want to have Dixon in there for an extended period of time when the guys has virtually no NFL experience and have him lead a championship caliber team..over a guy like Batch who's seen it all and done it all?

No thanks dude...honestly I would hope that with more playing time in camp and preseason and during this regular season in practice that he'll have a good chance to get more experience. No guarantees that he will be ready I'll give you that but for this year Im glad we have Batch back just in case. Like Ambridge said though I'd much rather have kept Byron.

K Train
04-14-2009, 07:27 PM
he was drafted to be the backup though, he sat for a year....full year 2 of camp and preseason i see no reason why he wouldnt be ready to take the job. Not all backups have to be old, former mediocre starters. its nice to have charlie there as a sideline presence but guys get thrown in there and are asked to produce all the time, why couldnt dixon do it? he was a second round talent and we got him in the 5th cause of injury but hes all healed and second round guys are drafted to play and thats what i look at him as. charlie is VERY limited physically, he can know the playbook like he wrote it, but he can probably only execute a tenth of it.

cassel comes in not starting a game since high school and he produced in a big way, shaub played 2 games in atlanta and got a pay day in houston....point is, it happens. it doesnt have to be charlie batch or brad johnson or jeff garcia for them to be good backups

cmerrifield
04-15-2009, 06:43 AM
I think we will have to see about the O line as well. Dixon is way more mobile than Batch, and that could be a factor. I am all for giving Dixon a chance to be number 2, but I have always been impressed with how well Batch does every time he is called upon to play. He has been a great asset to the team, for little money. I am actually ok with either QB playing backup, as long as Dixon has adjusted to being an NFL QB. I think its win win.

K Train
04-15-2009, 12:42 PM
did you see his last game he started? against the ravens 2 years ago? he was AWFUL and we lost that game

TampaSteelGirl
04-15-2009, 01:17 PM
I like Charlie but I dont think after this injury as reliable as we need our back up to be. I wish Byron would have stayed but I cant blame him for leaving...not much money and a chance to start..We need to get Dixon ready for next year fast!

JensK
04-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I like batch as long as he is one the sideline. He knows our play-book better than our coaches probably, and hes a great help to ben. I would rather have Dixon on the field though.

Troyisabeast_43
04-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Well you know as fragile as Ben is at times that at some point during the season he is going to go down whether it be for a quarter or half, or for a game or so. So at some point either Batch or Dixon's services are going to be needed one would have to assume. Let's just see how it all plays out here. For all we know Batch could end up getting hurt again in preseason and the Steelers could go out and find another guy like Leftwich out of nowhere to bring in here to back up Ben. Who would have thought a year ago last April when we were sitting here before the draft a year ago or so that Leftwich would have been the backup QB last season and played as well as he did when called upon. You just never know...

Zachintosh66
04-15-2009, 06:10 PM
:rolleyes:

greennick
04-15-2009, 11:35 PM

But didn't we just sign Batch for about one fifth of what TB signed Leftwich for. I would have thought that was kind of important for a team on the edge of the salary cap.

K Train
04-17-2009, 01:18 PM
dixon will be elevated to backup....:markit:

Starting Monday, an intriguing quarterback battle will begin to take shape at Steelers’ headquarters. When the first of 14 organized team activities gets under way, Dennis Dixon will be out to prove he’s capable of backing up Ben Roethlisberger. Batch may have a ton of experience, but coach Mike Tomlin and his offensive assistants are intrigued by Dixon’s potential
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/04/17/sports/steelers/doc49e7feaf67189989211109.txt

batch=old and busted
dixon=the new hotness

ejsteeler
04-17-2009, 09:17 PM
I don't know what the hell is wrong with you people. Batch is a china doll? How many injuries have kept him out? Give me a break. Byron may have been the better over all choice by youth alone, but charlie can get the job done. He will willingly do his job by backing ben abd bringin Dixon up. Good move.

Dean Denton
04-18-2009, 04:27 AM
Its been a couple years since Batch was in there, and I am not so sure he can still fill in with that kind of ring rust. I dont think he's a China Doll however. That shot would have broke anyone else too. He got hit a lot harder then Mendy....

I have to say I'm ready for that Pac 10 Beauty to step up and win the backup spot behind Ben. We are talking about a guy that would have won the Heisman, and a National Championship if he wasn't forced into a Thursday game on a short week. That game was a joke..(snapped him in half)..What a shame. We caught a star when we picked him up...Charlie better not be the only QB on this team trying to fight that kid off because no player gets drafted with hopes of being a back up. He's hungery, and has that "Eye of the Tiger look".....

K Train
04-18-2009, 11:36 AM
batch has gotten hurt 2 of the last 3 times hes played. he broke his hand 2 years ago on a qb sneak against cleveland, then he failed miserably against balitmore in the season finally against the ravens last year and then this past year he got hurt in preseason.

hes old, hes brittle...hes done

like i said....batch, the old and busted.....dixon, the new hotness

Iron City South
04-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Dixon isn't ready yet. Let's hope Grandpa Batch has 1 more year left in the tank.

Dean Denton
04-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Dixon isn't ready yet. Let's hope Grandpa Batch has 1 more year left in the tank.
None of us know if the guy is ready or not. If we get the running game going he wont have to be razor sharp to win games. He adds something we have not seen in a long time.

SteelerRush
04-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Dixon has all the tools to be the back up this year after learning the offense for a year. I now we needed another QB for practice purposes and we still need one more. Batch will be a great QB coach for Dixon and have him ready to step in for an injured Ben. But I only see us signing Batch for a coaching or emergency spot duty. Batch will not play in a regular season game unless Ben and Dixon can't go.

Lets hope we don't even go there.