PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich gone

cmerrifield
04-12-2009, 09:55 AM
ESPN is reporting that Leftwich signed two years with the Bucs. I expect Batch to sign now on Monday.

BlacknGold Bleeder
04-12-2009, 10:06 AM
It will be intersting to see the terms of contract if it's true...

TampaSteelGirl
04-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Can't blame him, he'll probably start there...

cmerrifield
04-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah, now that its on ESPN's website they are saying that he just adds depth. But Leftwich said he wants to play backup for the Steelers. So, either he got a lot more money, or they said he could compete for the starting position, which I think he has a chance at in Tampa.

Sir Blitzelot
04-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Even though I'm saddened to see him go, Byron showed last year that he deserves another opportunity to be a starter in this league. Best of luck to Byron, I hope he becomes the number one quarterback in Tampa next season. :yellowthumb:

Bucsfan4ever
04-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Free-agent quarterback Byron Leftwich has agreed to a two-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers also were interested in Leftwich, who joins a depth chart in Tampa that includes Luke McCown, Josh Johnson, and Brian Griese.

Leftwich, 29, a first-round draft pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars out of Marshall in 2003, won a Super Bowl ring last season as a backup with the Steelers.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder has started just eight games since 2006, his last season with the Jaguars. He played for the Atlanta Falcons in 2007.

Leftwich passed for 303 yards with two touchdowns in five appearances with the Steelers last season as Ben Roethlisberger's backup.

Rest of story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4062212)

General consenus around here seems to be that he will replace Griese as backup.

Callax
04-12-2009, 12:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4062212

Free-agent quarterback Byron Leftwich has agreed to a two-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers also were interested in Leftwich, who joins a depth chart in Tampa that includes Luke McCown, Josh Johnson, and Brian Griese.

Leftwich, 29, a first-round draft pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars out of Marshall in 2003, won a Super Bowl ring last season as a backup with the Steelers.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder has started just eight games since 2006, his last season with the Jaguars. He played for the Atlanta Falcons in 2007.

Leftwich passed for 303 yards with two touchdowns in five appearances with the Steelers last season as Ben Roethlisberger's backup.

It was just reported by Michael Smith that former Steeler QB Byron Leftwich signs a 2 year deal with the Bucs, joining the QB fray and leaving the defending World Champions.

It looks like he knows that unless Big Ben gets hurt, Byron will always be a backup and still desires to be a starter. He has the talent to be a good NFL Quarterback, as he showed vs. Washington, but he is young enough to play another 10 years and do not want to be relegated to career backup yet....

Black@Gold Forever32
04-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Griese probably will be gone now....Luke McCown and Leftwich will battle it out for the starting spot...Josh Johnson is a young QB with some upside.....

Iron City South
04-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Possibly a fatal mistake ... better hope and pray Homestead Charlie still has an arm and some wheels. :popcorn:

BlackGold4vr
04-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Batch was only a suitable substitute when the Bus was still with us and we were a running team. Now that we are becoming a passing team under BA due to our offensive lines problems holding blocks more than a second, Batch is not well suited to run our offense. I would rather see Dennis Dixon getting the reps. He is young, fast, and has a good arm. With our offensive line mobility is a prerequisite. :2cents:

steelers4life66
04-12-2009, 12:45 PM
I hope Ben stays healthy this year. I don't have faith in Charlie anymore.

Zachintosh66
04-12-2009, 12:53 PM
:evilshake:

K Train
04-12-2009, 01:25 PM
bring on dixon

steelers4life66
04-12-2009, 01:32 PM
bring on dixon

I'd love to see that, but I have my doubts they will play him if Ben goes down.

K Train
04-12-2009, 02:05 PM
i think they will, especially if it is for an extended period

steelers4life66
04-12-2009, 02:16 PM
i think they will, especially if it is for an extended period

Hope your wright. More importantly,hope we don't have to find out.

Silverback 92
04-12-2009, 06:39 PM
bryon must of gave up on winning teams oh well

steelers4life66
04-12-2009, 07:56 PM
bryon must of gave up on winning teams oh well
Lefty wants to start.

Callax
04-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Batch most likely will be resigned for a year and leave Dixon as #3 QB.
Next year Dixon will be #2 and another QB will be picked up as #3

Steel Trap86
04-12-2009, 11:51 PM
not surprised.

its time to bump dixon up to #2, even if batch isnt as reliable on execution, still keep him as a third string...the guy always has his eye on the game and seems like he has good input. also ben was able to withstand a huge amount of punishment last season and still won the superbowl, so i dont think we'll have to worry about this too much.

HUNT4SEVEN
04-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Well Byron has an superbowl ring an 7.5 million for two years:yesnod:, an a good chance to be the starting quarterback in Tampa, I wish him well, i would of loved to have him here....But i also want to see what Dixion has:yesnod: i would keep batch as an third stringer for insurance purposess:tt02:Plus he knows the system, an there's not another F.A quarterback that's worthy enough to play for us IMO.

Iron City South
04-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Lefty will look down and see that big fat ring on his hand every day now. I'm sure he'll cherish the memories of last year for a long time. He contributed to our winning season and I wish him all the best.

BFISHIN80
04-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Well.....Leftwich gave us the best chance of winning without Ben.......Now that he's gone it doesn't matter who is behind Big B....Lets just hope he doesn't get hurt cause well be in trouble.

DahBurgh
04-14-2009, 10:07 AM
I wish leftwich luck I cant blame a guy for wanting to start somewhere instead of being a backup we have ben dixon and well probably sign batch again were fine.

Steel Trap86
04-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Leftwich isnt the starter for the Bucs yet, he will compete for #1 during training camp and pre-season. His 2 year contract is a back-up type signing. He should be able to beat Greise for the job, but I heard the Bucs might even draft another QB in a couple weeks.

steelcityrockers
04-14-2009, 07:22 PM
His main competition would be Luke McCown and Josh Johnson, by the way, not Brian Griese.