PDA

View Full Version : Steelers offer Leftwich a contract

Sir Blitzelot
04-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Steelers Offer Leftwich Two-Year Deal

Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2009, 8:25 a.m. EDT

As free-agent quarterback Byron Leftwich begins to generate some interest elsewhere, the Steelers are stepping up their efforts to persuade him to return.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the offer contains close to the minimum salaries for a veteran with his experience level.

It would be stupid for Leftwich to commit to two years under such terms, in our view. If he were to get extended playing time in 2009 ó if, for example, starter Ben Roethlisberger is injured due to an offensive line that still isnít as good as it needs to be ó Leftwich could be a hot commodity in 2010.

And we still donít understand how a guy like Leftwich doesnít command something more than minimum salaries. If Wrong-Way Orlovsky can get a three-year, $9 million contract to serve as Matt Schaubís backup in Houston, how can Leftwich not be offered more than $620,000 for the coming season without committing to playing for the minimum salary in 2010?

In the past week, Leftwich has visited the Redskins and the Buccaneers.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/

cmerrifield
04-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I will be really shocked if he takes this contract. Although he has said that if he is just going to be a backup, he wants to do it in Pittsburgh. So, maybe there is hope. I wish he would sign it, under an agreement that we would trade him if someone needs him to start. Then, we get something for Leftwich, and he could start.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I'd be shocked if we got Leftwich at that bargain price..it'd be nice, but i don't see it happening..Tampa Bay actually sounds like a good fit for him..wonder if they will make him an offer.:thinking:

TampaSteelGirl
04-10-2009, 12:01 PM
While i'd like to see him stay he wants to be a starter not a back up and I do think he's better than a back up...i do hope he stays though..

BlitzburghRockCity
04-10-2009, 12:42 PM
The Steelers are going to have to anty up the offer some more I would imagine if they are serious about keeping him. Personally I would have him here than Batch simply because he's younger and has a stronger arm, and more mobile. Honestly though you don't want to ever have to see either of those 2 on the field since that means your starter is injured.

I'd be surprised if he accepts the offer but I don't see him doing anything before the draft at this point. Teams will get their backup QB's in the draft and then afterwards see what they have to work with in terms of getting a veteran QB in reserve.

Zachintosh66
04-10-2009, 01:12 PM
hopefully he stays and we get rid of Batch

cmerrifield
04-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Batch would be an intersting backup this year I think. He is not very mobile and our Oline isnt the best (I dont think its as bad as most though). He did well when he played because there was no pressure, the running game could carry the team. I am not sure that it true now. I think our backup will have to go in and make plays. I am not down on Batch, I am just not sure he will be as successful as our backup as he was in the past.

BlackGold4vr
04-10-2009, 05:27 PM
I think we should shitcan Dennis Dixon since we have zero faith in him to competently play QB.

NOT!

If Leftwich takes the offer you let Batch go. Its that simple. We don't need 4 QB's and you need to stop pushing Dixon to the back of the class. If he is that bad that you can't trust him then cut him and draft a QB that you can trust. I think we would be fine without Leftwich and Batch. Show some confidense in Dixon who was a stud at Oregon. He might just surprise you! :yesnod:

Silverback 92
04-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Im thinkin the only way hefty lefty stays is a miracle tampa would be a good fit,still think batch needs to go though

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-10-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't really mind Batch as our back up. He was what, 3-0 or 4-0 when he did start for us. He has been here for a few years now has become a part of the Steelers team. I applaud him for accepting his role and not making noise. Byron certainly has not made much noise, and was surely a positive aquisition for our team.
However , Byron has stated he would love nothing more than to be a starter. Both Leftwich and Batches releases are quite simular. Unload it quick if need be. I think Charlie is the "true" vet. He spent several punishing seasons with Detroit,and has panned out as a reliable back-up for us.He got hurt and was replaced by another capable back up that does not wish to be a back up. To me , if Byron wishes to pursue his dream as a starter , he would be better off to leave. I don't think he would be a bad addition , but if he wishes to move on , then i wish him nothing but the best , and admire what he did for our team.

Blitzburghpete
04-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Personally i think leftwich has to get it out of his head that he is a long term team starter. He failed in Jacksonville as he was outsted by the pretty ok Gerrard. Leftwich is average as a starter and may do a job for a year for someone but he's not a long term option for another team.

Byron - do yourself a favour mate, get paid lots of cash to sit on a winning teams bench, put your feet up and come in to do mop up duty once in a while.

scottbe
04-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Personally i think leftwich has to get it out of his head that he is a long term team starter. He failed in Jacksonville as he was outsted by the pretty ok Gerrard. Leftwich is average as a starter and may do a job for a year for someone but he's not a long term option for another team.

Byron - do yourself a favour mate, get paid lots of cash to sit on a winning teams bench, put your feet up and come in to do mop up duty once in a while.

idiotic post,there mate!

DahBurgh
04-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I dont think he would be that great of a starter but Batch is getting old so I would like him as our back up. I wish him luck with whatever he does though.