PDA

View Full Version : If Harrison Does Not Sign an Extension...?

DCBill
04-08-2009, 10:14 PM
K and Darnik have been quite dismissive of Michael Johnson, but if Harrison does not sign an extension, is Johnson an attractive choice at #32 (since he won't last until #6).

cmerrifield
04-08-2009, 10:40 PM
I dont really want to think about Harrison not signing. I know that the Steelers are really good about replacing linebackers, but there is something about him I really like. I like his leadership and how inspiring he has to be to undrafted and late round picks. He seems to have an amazing work ethic. I know he is older and all that stuff, but I still want him to be signed.

DCBill
04-09-2009, 12:45 AM
I'd like to see them keep him, too, but the original question remains.

If they can't, won't, or he doesn't........., what about Micheal Johnson (whom I see as an OLB until he can bulk up to a DE)?

darnik44
04-09-2009, 05:20 AM
The Steelers hardly ever draft LB's in the first. Timmons was the last and he was a huge reach. They took him 15th overall and he still hasn't started a game. He didn't even work out at the position they drafted him as. Before that it was Huey Richardson in I think 1992 (or around that time). He was a bust, out of the league in a hurry.

The Steelers already have his replacement, Bruce Davis. He was a 3rd round pick last year and will be in his 3rd year in 2010. That's the Steelers forumula. Jason Gildon took over for Greg Lloyd in almost an identical scenario.

cmerrifield
04-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Just because Timmons didnt start doesnt make him a reach. He was injured doing the first week of camp and took quite a while to heal. Timmons was not a reach. In fact, he can play either inside or outside makes him even more valuable and LeBeau said that Timmons is the best pash rushing linebacker in the group. He could have started last year, but I think the kept Foote for a few reasons reasons, but I think the #1 Timmons was the best OLB back-up they had.

Now, as far as Johnson, not sure he would be the best pick for what you are saying. I think he would either need to bulk up and be a DE or stay OLB. But, I am on the fence with this guy. Not sure I think he is worth a first round.

DCBill
04-09-2009, 05:04 PM
OK, he won't last, but I'm ready to take M. Johnson at #64 in Round 2.

K Train
04-09-2009, 07:17 PM
timmons was valued as a mid first round pick....taking him at 15 wasnt a reach, it was his projection

Black@Gold Forever32
04-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I wouldn't complain if the Steelers drafted Larry English at 32....Even with Harrison under contract it still would be wise to have a young pass rusher ready to step in and I really like English...He reminds me of LaMarr Woodley.......I doubt English is drafted but he is a name to consider at 32....I'm not giving up on Bruce Davis either but I believe just like Tomlin believes that you can never have enough pass rushers.....

K Train
04-09-2009, 11:15 PM
english is an option and so is sintim, sintim played in a 34 at virginia but i think hes a little overrated. i really think that everette brown might be an option there too

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Looks like the deal is almost done....

KDKA-TV's Bob Pompeani has learned the Steelers and All-Pro Linebacker James Harrison are very close to a new contract.

Harrison's agent Bill Parise tells KDKA-TV Sports a deal could be completed as soon as the beginning of next week.

There's still no word on the exact length of a potential new contract for Harrison, but the total dollar value is believed to be around $45 million.

A portion of that total would be guaranteed money.

DCBill
04-10-2009, 09:07 PM
If that happens--and I hope it does--that makes Johnson a DE for the Steelers, although he can't pack on 30 or 40 pounds before September.

I'd still take him at #64, as long as they go O-line at #32.

If the teams picks a CB at #32, they have to go O-line at #64.
Too many holes on the O-line (pun intended!).

How about Alex Mack, Michael Johnson, and Mike Thomas, at #32, #64, and #96?

darnik44
04-10-2009, 09:41 PM
If that happens--and I hope it does--that makes Johnson a DE for the Steelers, although he can't pack on 30 or 40 pounds before September.

All of Michael Johnson's weaknesses are what you look for in a 3-4 DE. Johnson absolutely won't get any consideration as a 3-4 DE. He's strictly a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. I can see you like him a lot, but don't get your hopes up too much of the Steelers drafting him. There's virtually no chance. Not a first round need, not a DE, and gone by #64.

K Train
04-10-2009, 11:02 PM

michael johnson is the epitome of a workout warrior....he will one day be under the definiton of a failure. mack is in no way a first round pick anymore, i would genuinely be surprised if he doesnt fall to the 3rd

DCBill
04-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I guess in two weeks and a day, we'll find out about both of them.

But Train, why do you think Mack falls so far. Even without Pittsburgh grabbing him, most mocks have him taken by the middle of the sceond round?

I know he didn't work out at the combine, but he had an excellent college career and I haven't read about any drug issues, etc?

What attracts me to the guy--in addition to his college work--is his versatility; ditto Unger.

K Train
04-11-2009, 07:51 PM
maybe mid second but he has dont nothing to seperate himself from wood and unger. i like unger but i dont think hes a good fit on the steelers and i dont think the steelers draft a center if its not eric wood, they love wood and if they dont get him i think they will let hartwig/stapleton/legursky fight it out. i would take mack at 64 but not before that, at 64 its decent value, the problem i have with him is he is being called a first round center and he just isnt....guys like nick mangold are very rare and mack has nothing on mangold

darnik44
04-11-2009, 08:46 PM
I guess in two weeks and a day, we'll find out about both of them.

But Train, why do you think Mack falls so far. Even without Pittsburgh grabbing him, most mocks have him taken by the middle of the sceond round?

I know he didn't work out at the combine, but he had an excellent college career and I haven't read about any drug issues, etc?

What attracts me to the guy--in addition to his college work--is his versatility; ditto Unger.

Here's something to keep in mind. Every year you can finds thousands of mock drafts. Most are not very different as far as how the players come off the board. Doesn't that tell you something? Most mocks weather done by a website or individual all just copy off each other and really, truely don't evaluate the talent. Sure enough every year the actual draft looks nothing like most mocks. Players are discussed as reaches and other are said to have fallen. Now players do fall often usually based on team needs. Like this year RB's could fall some because there are so many good RB's already in the league. Most teams are 2 deep already. But in most cases these players don't fall, they were just over-rated all along. From everything I've seen on all the centers (games, senior bowl, combine, read about them, etc.) Mack is the 3rd best center available behind Eric Wood and Max Unger. Centers hardly ever go in the first round to begin with.

K Train
04-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Here's something to keep in mind. Every year you can finds thousands of mock drafts. Most are not very different as far as how the players come off the board. Doesn't that tell you something? Most mocks weather done by a website or individual all just copy off each other and really, truely don't evaluate the talent. Sure enough every year the actual draft looks nothing like most mocks. Players are discussed as reaches and other are said to have fallen. Now players do fall often usually based on team needs. Like this year RB's could fall some because there are so many good RB's already in the league. Most teams are 2 deep already. But in most cases these players don't fall, they were just over-rated all along. From everything I've seen on all the centers (games, senior bowl, combine, read about them, etc.) Mack is the 3rd best center available behind Eric Wood and Max Unger. Centers hardly ever go in the first round to begin with.
well said

Callax
04-11-2009, 09:22 PM

I think Pitt should drop down in 1st round to 2nd round and move up from #64, and maybe thet can pick up an additional draft pick... Then get Wood, Everette Brown ( I think would be a better fit than Johnson) then Mike thomas ( who I think will be a steve smith of carolina type player) and hopefully from the trades get a 4th mid round pick for a CB.
I don't think Pitt will go for OLB at this time with OLB Davis on the roster from UCLA...
2nd all time leading sacker in school history... I know, school records don't mean squat in the NFL, put it is a Div I school with alot of pro players having gone thru their ranks and he was productive 6'4", 255 lbs... has size and after a year in the Steeler system and weight program, he might surprise and be battling for playing time like Timmons did last year with Foote... Pitt will need more ILB help soon since Foote will be a F/A after the '09 season and Farrior isn't getting any younger ( He's a stud ILB). Timmons looks like he can play ILB or OLB, I prefer him Inside since it gives Speed at the ILB position that Pitt hasn't had in a while...

steelcityrockers
04-11-2009, 11:57 PM
I think Pitt should drop down in 1st round to 2nd round and move up from #64, and maybe thet can pick up an additional draft pick... Then get Wood, Everette Brown ( I think would be a better fit than Johnson) then Mike thomas ( who I

Everette Brown is a Top-15 (probably Top-10) pick. I see no circumstances he lasts that far unless he beats up a hooker or something of that nature.

K Train
04-12-2009, 12:05 AM
i have brown going to the titans at the end of the first...he was supposed to be 6-4 and came in at 6-1. 34 teams will be hesistant to take him as an olb and 43 teams cant possibly look at him as a 43 full time DE anymore. i like him alot but being 6-1 and going to FSU hurts him. hes not nearly as versatile as timmons

steelcityrockers
04-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Eh, he is really explosive though. Good quick-twitch athlete. He would be best as a 34 OLB, but is a better all around 43 DE than Orakpo. Better against the run.

K Train
04-13-2009, 12:23 AM
orakpo is a pas rusher and thats it, and hes a slow one at that

steelcityrockers
04-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Right, which is why I was saying Everette Brown would be the pass DE/OLB in this draft in terms of being able to contribute immediately and most effectively. Maybin will be a bust and the rest have some sort of deficiency or are projects.

K Train
04-14-2009, 08:33 PM
hey i love brown as an OLB....i just dont think he has it with his hand down full time. i think he'll slip at least to the second half of the first