PDA

View Full Version : Bucs' Winslow agrees to contract extension

BlacknGold Bleeder
04-07-2009, 01:04 AM
Bucs' Winslow agrees to contract extension

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) Kellen Winslow and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers agreed Monday to a six-year, $36.1 million contract extension that will make the one-time Pro Bowl selection the highest-paid tight end in NFL history.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus said the deal includes $20.1 million guaranteed, a record for a tight end. With incentives, it could be worth up to $42.1 million.

Contract talks began soon after the Feb. 27 trade that sent Winslow, who participated in the Bucs' voluntary minicamp last week, to Tampa Bay from Cleveland in exchange for a second-round pick in this year's draft and a fifth-rounder in 2010.

``The Bucs were open to something long-term,'' Rosenhaus said. ``It's nice to get it done.''

Winslow was the sixth overall pick in the 2004 draft, and his career has been marked by plenty of highs, lows and controversy.

The 25-year-old had 219 receptions for 2,459 yards and 11 touchdowns in five seasons with the Browns, and the Bucs are counting on him to play a major role in an overhauled offense next season.

Winslow had 89 catches for 875 yards and three touchdowns in 2006 and followed with 82 receptions for 1,106 yards in 2007. He survived a serious motorcycle accident and battled injuries throughout his stay in Cleveland, and last season squabbled with the Browns' front office.

The Bucs fired coach Jon Gruden in January after losing their last four games to miss the playoffs following a 9-3 start. Upgrading the offense has been the top priority under successor Raheem Morris, who brought in former Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski as his offensive coordinator.

In addition to trading for Winslow, the Bucs placed the franchise tag on receiver Antonio Bryant, assuring him a salary of $9.8 million next season, and signed former New York Giants running back Derrick Ward to a four-year, $17 million contract.

Tampa Bay also decided against retaining quarterback Jeff Garcia, leaving Luke McCown, Brian Griese and Josh Johnson to compete for the starting job. Garcia signed with Oakland on Monday.

There's a sucker born every minute !!

BlitzburghNation
04-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Who's gonna throw him the ball :lol:
Doesn't really matter anyways,,,,,,he won't stay healthy long enough to catch it :hilarious:

lloydfan4life
04-07-2009, 08:40 AM
and just what did he do to warrant being the highest payed tight end in history?? :scratch:

steelersgal86
04-07-2009, 09:11 AM
WOW....that is crazy....what a waste....:smh:

Sir Blitzelot
04-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Something tells me that this contract will come back to bite the Bucs down the road. :thinking:

Bucsfan4ever
04-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Shocked is putting it mildly...especially with his history of injuries.

And yeah, there's a big question as to the QB position...just don't know what to expect next season, for sure!!

PsychoWard
04-07-2009, 10:39 AM
wow I guess thats what catching a whooping 5 touchdowns gets you!

TampaSteelGirl
04-07-2009, 11:06 AM
He didn't even play yet, why would you offer him a huge contract if you're not even sure he'll play well. Another stupid move made by the Bucs....it just gets worse for this team....It's like buying a pair of shoes before you even know if they will fit!!!! :thinking:

DahBurgh
04-07-2009, 11:19 AM
All I can say to them is good luck, if they think dumping money into a decent tight end that helped make the browns a decent team is smart good luck. I cant wait to see what guys like jason witten and dallas clark want to get paid.

lloydfan4life
04-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Anything that comes from the Browns can't be that valuable! :duh:
Case in point.... Mitch Berger, our useless punter last season.

JensK
04-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Anything that comes from the Browns can't be that valuable! :duh:
Case in point.... Mitch Berger, our useless punter last season.

Hey now.. Berger did pretty well when he was not injured. Give the guy some credit :P He really tryed the best he could compared he had a hamstering in both legs for like 3 games >.>

lloydfan4life
04-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey now.. Berger did pretty well when he was not injured. Give the guy some credit :P He really tryed the best he could compared he had a hamstering in both legs for like 3 games >.>

Huh?? :scratch:
You sure you were watching the same guy kick?
Berger is a bum!
I'm just glad Sep is back this year! :cope:

JensK
04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Berger is a bum!

Positive! :P Berger is by no means a good punter, but he puntet decent under the circumstances. The guy played like 2 games this season where he wasnt hit by some sort of injury, and he did pretty fine in those two. All im saying is, i think he did fine compared to the situation and all. Not that he is a good punter or anything. and yes, it is great that Sep is back! :D

on topic: Two things can happen: Winslow can play amazing and everyone will say that Bucs' did a smart thing, or the other way around. Winslow's got the talent to do great things.

steelersgal86
04-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Berger is a bum!

no doubt :rofl: I was thinking the same thing...when did he ever do well :duh: I crossed my fingers and closed my eyes everytime he came out :smh:

TampaSteelGirl
04-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Wait there was another kicker we had that didn't do too bad, what the heck was his name...no Berger was horrible!! I too cringed when he punted!! Cripes!!! We need to wrap Sep in bubble wrap to keep him safe!!! We definately need him, good thing we had such a great Defense with a horrible punter like that!!!!!! :banging:

Phenomenal TJ
04-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Did you hear that he gets to park in the "Staph Parking" section? ;)

Bucsfan4ever
04-08-2009, 05:53 PM
:lol::lol: Good one, TJ!!