PDA

View Full Version : NO contract offer to Leftwich...

Zachintosh66
04-04-2009, 02:47 PM
as reported by kffl.com...

Steelers | No offer extended to Leftwich
Sat, 04 Apr 2009 11:02:06 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports free-agent QB Byron Leftwich (Steelers) has not received a contract offer from the Pittsburgh Steelers thus far. The Steelers are interested in re-signing him and free-agent QB Charlie Batch.

Redskins | Talking contract with Leftwich
Sat, 04 Apr 2009 11:02:34 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports free-agent QB Byron Leftwich (Steelers) visited with the Washington Redskins Friday, April 3, and the two are discussing a contract.

K Train
04-04-2009, 03:06 PM
as much i i would want him back and i think he might come back, i think he would really really love playing for his homwtown team more

steelers4life66
04-04-2009, 03:16 PM
as much i i would want him back and i think he might come back, i think he would really really love playing for his homwtown team more

I think that depends if they'll start him. If he's just going to be a back up he might stay where he's at. Steelers have a good chance to repeat. I'm sure lefty would like another sb ring.

K Train
04-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I think that depends if they'll start him. If he's just going to be a back up he might stay where he's at. Steelers have a good chance to repeat. I'm sure lefty would like another sb ring.

the redskins have been trying to deal campbell so he would at the very least be given a chance to compete

steelers4life66
04-04-2009, 03:26 PM
the redskins have been trying to deal campbell so he would at the very least be given a chance to compete

He'll probably go then. I'd like to see him stay but if he's got a chance to start. I say he's gone. Don't have much faith in Charlie anymore. Last few times he's play didn't think he did much.

K Train
04-04-2009, 03:54 PM
charlie is a bum i would be pissed if he made the roster....if leftwich is gone, its dixons turn

steelers4life66
04-04-2009, 03:58 PM
charlie is a bum i would be pissed if he made the roster....if leftwich is gone, its dixons turn

I like Dixon. Thought he did good in the preseason. I know he's got a good arm he can chunk that ball down field with minimal effort.

Silverback 92
04-04-2009, 05:30 PM
batch is old and battered with his better days in the rear view, but he is no bum its just time to step aside, maybe try his hand at a assitant coach job or something

Captcoolhand
04-04-2009, 05:40 PM
I just read an article about Dixon a few days ago and how they already have him and Sweed working together to help bring them both up to game speed etc etc. I wish i had the link but ya, I think its best that Batch release those reigns and let a younger guy come in and learn the ropes from a back-up perspective and go on being a Coach if that's what he so disires to be.

Batch helped us and he was enough to get us by but he's no starter and he's not getting any younger....
With all the time he spent on the sidelines(Injuried or not) he needs to get payed helping the young bucks.....:imho:

MOTORKRAFT
04-04-2009, 11:37 PM
The Steelers need to get a back up Q.B. in the mold of Roethlisberger. I would like them to look at Jeff Garcia. I know he's a west coast offense guy but he has the mobility to work behind this line, like Ben does. If Ben went down in week 1, we as fans are in for a long season if our options are Leftwich, Batch, or Dixon. Leftwich is good for a half of a game, the second game, he would be game planned against and killed. I don't think Batch is an option at this point. Dixon has no experience and would be awful. I say, let Leftwich leave, hire Batch as an assistant to Ken Anderson, keep Dixon (3rd. string) and bring a new guy in. Not a new guy as in rookie, just new to us, someone with mobility and experience.

K Train
04-05-2009, 12:42 PM
The Steelers need to get a back up Q.B. in the mold of Roethlisberger. I would like them to look at Jeff Garcia. I know he's a west coast offense guy but he has the mobility to work behind this line, like Ben does. If Ben went down in week 1, we as fans are in for a long season if our options are Leftwich, Batch, or Dixon. Leftwich is good for a half of a game, the second game, he would be game planned against and killed. I don't think Batch is an option at this point. Dixon has no experience and would be awful. I say, let Leftwich leave, hire Batch as an assistant to Ken Anderson, keep Dixon (3rd. string) and bring a new guy in. Not a new guy as in rookie, just new to us, someone with mobility and experience.

this whole post is a joke....leftwich is alot better for us than 39 year old garcia could ever be...leftwich played very good last year when he came in, better than he ever has before imo and dixon was drafted to be the backup QB....not all backups have to be former starters, he was drafted for the job, he got to watch for a season....if not now then when?

BlackGold4vr
04-05-2009, 01:03 PM
this whole post is a joke....leftwich is alot better for us than 39 year old garcia could ever be...leftwich played very good last year when he came in, better than he ever has before imo and dixon was drafted to be the backup QB....not all backups have to be former starters, he was drafted for the job, he got to watch for a season....if not now then when?

:plus1: Agree completely! Pittsburgh fans have developed this baby the new guys mentality. They have to sit and watch a few years before they can grasp the complexities of the game........hogwash! Great players play and bad players don't. All the seasons in the world will not help less talented players be great. As long as Dixon is coming into this year having a full year to study and learn the offense then he should be ready to be #2. No substitute for game experience and a guy can't get that holding the clipboard. Batch needs to retire and Leftwich needs to find another home. He was a stopgap last year to prevent us from putting in a rookie behind Ben. That rookie (Dennis Dixon) should be ready this year. Let him do what you drafted him to do and if he isn't up to the task then why are you paying him?

K Train
04-05-2009, 01:15 PM
dixon was easily a second round talent....you draft guys like him in the second round to play. not every backup has to be an old washed up former starter. guys like shaub played like 3 games and got traded for high draft picks and recieved big money extension, look what cassel did for himself....point is these guys are drafted to have a job and they take reps in practice just like everyone else, lack of experience goes out the window when you take a few snaps and make a few plays. dixon is out man if leftwich moves on and im 100% comfortable with that

MOTORKRAFT
04-05-2009, 04:35 PM
BlackGold4vr, said/wrote, " Pittsburgh fans have developed this baby the new guys mentality. They have to sit and watch a few years before they can grasp the complexities of the game........hogwash!" :nono: I don't think the fans pick the starters. The coaching staff has been bringing the rookies along slow since Tomlin got here.
K Train, said/wrote, " Dixon was easily a second round talent....you draft guys like him in the second round to play. not every backup has to be an old washed up former starter." I agree that Dixon was a steal, and second rounders are drafted to play. Dixon was not drafted in the second round and even if he was, he still would have set on the bench while Leftwich relieved Ben. Coach Tomlin brings rookies along slow. If you think Dixon is ready to be #2 right now, well thats your opinion, but, I disagree.
The point I was tring to make is, without Roethlisberger we are in trouble. I don't trust Leftwich, Batch, or Dixon to even be able to manage games.:cope:

K Train
04-05-2009, 04:37 PM
BlackGold4vr, said/wrote, " Pittsburgh fans have developed this baby the new guys mentality. They have to sit and watch a few years before they can grasp the complexities of the game........hogwash!" :nono: I don't think the fans pick the starters. The coaching staff has been bringing the rookies along slow since Tomlin got here.
K Train, said/wrote, " Dixon was easily a second round talent....you draft guys like him in the second round to play. not every backup has to be an old washed up former starter." I agree that Dixon was a steal, and second rounders are drafted to play. Dixon was not drafted in the second round and even if he was, he still would have set on the bench while Leftwich relieved Ben. Coach Tomlin brings rookies along slow. If you think Dixon is ready to be #2 right now, well thats your opinion, but, I disagree.
The point I was tring to make is, without Roethlisberger we are in trouble. I don't trust Leftwich, Batch, or Dixon to even be able to manage games.:cope:

i know he wasnt drafted in the second and he wasnt drafted to start but he was drafted to be the backup and thats what hes gonna be

MOTORKRAFT
04-05-2009, 05:00 PM
i know he wasnt drafted in the second and he wasnt drafted to start but he was drafted to be the backup and thats what hes gonna be

I know that you know that he wasn't drafted in the second rd. I guess you didn't know that I knew that you know he wasn't drafted in the second round.:nahnah: Did you know that I know he was drafted to be the backup. I just don't think he is ready to be the back up this/next year.:imho:

steelers4life66
04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
I know that you know that he wasn't drafted in the second rd. I guess you didn't know that I knew that you know he wasn't drafted in the second round.:nahnah: Did you know that I know he was drafted to be the backup. I just don't think he is ready to be the back up this/next year.:imho:
:scratch:

Iron City South
04-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Bottom Line:

If Leftwich walks ..... we've immediately and significantly downgraded our 2nd string QB position. If that's not bad enough, we have a rookie project who would be taking over if Grandpa Batch can't get manage a bowel movement that day.

DahBurgh
04-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I think batch is getting old and I dont know how ready Dixon is to being ready to play but if hes not ready I think we should sign Leftwich.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-06-2009, 11:24 AM
If Lefty is smart he'll stick around and play backup, there's no way the Redskins are getting a super bowl win in the next few years unless some miracle happens. I understand he'd get a chance to start and Im sure that's a huge factor for him but after being in the league so long I'd be tempted to stay put on the Steelers if possible.

If that doesn't work Tomlin will keep Batch around until he literally falls apart as a veteran backup like we're used to having around. If he (Batch) starts out as the primary backup I'd bet by mid way Dixon takes over that spot and Batch is the 3rd guy.

K Train
04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
If Lefty is smart he'll stick around and play backup, there's no way the Redskins are getting a super bowl win in the next few years unless some miracle happens. I understand he'd get a chance to start and Im sure that's a huge factor for him but after being in the league so long I'd be tempted to stay put on the Steelers if possible.

If that doesn't work Tomlin will keep Batch around until he literally falls apart as a veteran backup like we're used to having around. If he (Batch) starts out as the primary backup I'd bet by mid way Dixon takes over that spot and Batch is the 3rd guy.

he has his ring now...why not go somewhere where he has a chance to get paid and play for his hometown team in front of friends and family every week? the redskins were winning alot of games last year until a late season collapse, and were a playoff team the year before that. leftwich has the arm to get it to santana in space and haynesworth is a huge upgrade to that dline, deangelo hall and laron landry are great in the secondary....if the cards can make it to the superbowl, a team as talented as the skins sure as hell can. i just dont think its fair to say they are years away from anything

greennick
04-06-2009, 12:18 PM
he has his ring now...why not go somewhere where he has a chance to get paid and play for his hometown team in front of friends and family every week? the redskins were winning alot of games last year until a late season collapse, and were a playoff team the year before that. leftwich has the arm to get it to santana in space and haynesworth is a huge upgrade to that dline, deangelo hall and laron landry are great in the secondary....if the cards can make it to the superbowl, a team as talented as the skins sure as hell can. i just dont think its fair to say they are years away from anything

Cards had Warner, Fitzgerald and Boldin. Their D played like they never had before and probably never will again. They still needed a lot of luck to make it.

Big difference between them and the Skins. Monumental difference between Leftwich and Warner.

K Train
04-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Cards had Warner, Fitzgerald and Boldin. Their D played like they never had before and probably never will again. They still needed a lot of luck to make it.

Big difference between them and the Skins. Monumental difference between Leftwich and Warner.

warner has had like 3 good seasons scattered in a bunch of **** ones. they were the worst team to ever make the playoffs, let alone the superbowl

Roadkill
04-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Here is hoping he sticks around that or he will always be known as Fat Albert

TampaSteelGirl
04-06-2009, 03:14 PM
At the beginning of the season I was mad we picked him up because he was a Jag or course...but he didn't us a good service this year. He stepped up and did exactly what he was suppose to and got a win or 2 for us. I love Charlie but I think Byron would make a better backup at this point....:imho:

K Train
04-06-2009, 04:18 PM
batch is a ****** backup, hes barely servicable as a #3 at this point....hes just a master of the playbook and has been around forevr

steelcitysfinestXL
04-06-2009, 08:18 PM
yeah chuck is getting up in years... can he come in late in the 3rd and l hold a lead, sure! If Ben misses 2-4 weeks and we have to roll with Chuck for an extended period of time... were phucked! We have been lucky ben is a tough guy (on the field not in the media) and he doesnt miss GAMES! I'd tempted to see Dixon over Charlie which doesnt say alot about my faith in Charlie in extended action. Signing lefty wouldnt be a bad idea... i really thought he would be highly sawed after this offseason. I see a team like Denver bringing him in if they are smart and dont waste 2 1st rounders to trade up to get Sanchez... if only for competition/backup for Kyle Orton!

Silverback 92
04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
The way it should play out 1 Ben 2 Lefty 3 Dixon

Steel Trap86
04-06-2009, 10:48 PM
The Steelers need to get a back up Q.B. in the mold of Roethlisberger. I would like them to look at Jeff Garcia.

Garcia just signed a one year deal with the Raiders, so he's out. I'd rather keep Lefty, he is as reliable of a back-up as they come, if Washington doesnt sign him, then he will most likely end up back with the Steelers if nobody else scoops him up by the summer.

MOTORKRAFT
04-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Garcia just signed a one year deal with the Raiders, so he's out. I'd rather keep Lefty, he is as reliable of a back-up as they come, if Washington doesnt sign him, then he will most likely end up back with the Steelers if nobody else scoops him up by the summer.
Son of a motherfather !!! Anybody got Doug Fluties telephone # ?

TEEMONT
04-07-2009, 12:03 PM
:nono: I don't think the fans pick the starters. The coaching staff has been bringing the rookies along slow since Tomlin got here.
K Train, said/wrote, " Dixon was easily a second round talent....you draft guys like him

lol...u mean the whole two years that Tomlin has been here?

W/O Ben last year Leftwich stepped in and did fine. The only problem with Leftwich is, he see's himself as a starter, not a back-up.