PDA

View Full Version : I'm possibly bandwagon...you decide

0311grunt4ever
04-01-2009, 01:48 PM
What's up brothers and sisters?

Here's my situation.

I grew up in the Ohio Valley VERY close to the border of PA, and of course the city we all LOVE...da Burgh. I've been in and out of Pittsburgh my whole life, but to my everlasting shame, I did not worry about my Steelers heritage until late in life.

Hell, I wasn't even a football fan until I was 20 (23 now).

I am a fan by way of my parents, and pretty much by birthright, but the idiot that I am, I waited until they won SB XL to catch on to the legacy (my dad hounded me for years on this)

When I turned 18, I joined the Marine Corps, and lived in NC for a while (now in VA).

I was a casual fan at the time, knowing little about my now BELOVED Steelers.

When they were 7-5 in a near downward spiral in 05', we were watching a game in my barracks room, and a friend of mine stated that the Steelers are garbage, and Ben is overrated. Even though I didn't know much about them, I defended them that day, and had a newfound group of heroes in the Steelers.

Since Oct. 2005, I have filled my head with everything Steelers and have never left them, even in their off year afterward in 06'.

Every single time I look back on their history, I always think about the legacy that I have shirked off until now, and wonder how it ever escaped me, and as I've said, will always feel ashamed that I have done so. Hopefully, this is acceptable to the rest of Steeler Nation. I will NEVER leave you, and you have my word.

Love my Stillerz...Yinz know what I mean?

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Better late than never my friend! We all have our story of how we became fans of the Black and Gold, some were born into it and some were drawn into it..either way Steeler Nation welcomes them all and you are no different.:tt02:

:welcome::wedaworldchamps:

0311grunt4ever
04-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Makes me wish so badly that I was Born during the mid 60's, so I could enjoy the 70's dynasty in full effect, instead of relying on word of mouth from my parents and uncles, as well as DVD's. It's great to be a part of regardless, and my generation of Steeler Nation has it's OWN dynasty to brag about now.

--- Added 4/1/2009 at 01:31 PM ---

Also thought this might be interesting..

Even though Ben grew up in Findlay, OH, far from where I did, as a kid he hung out in my immediate area where his gram and gramps have lived forever. Our local paper just did a story profiling his life growing up, and about his time in sports.

His parents and grandparents submitted pics from him growing up, and it was hilarious to see him when he was 8, and then at Miami, and now a Steeler. You'd notice how much chub he's put on since entering the NFL and how much weight he's gained. His face went from skinny to chubby in 3-4 years. I had to laugh, but I guess it just provides him extra power to shed tacklers and make a throw, as he does constantly.

More interesting is the fact that my wife's first cousin Abbey is first cousins with Ben. I just kinda pretend that me and him are family, though not legally. :cope:

Scorp
04-01-2009, 04:17 PM
You either were just too busy to deal with football or maybe it was not just a big thing. Once you're a Steelers fan always a Steelers fan buddy. There may be other priorities in life that take you away from watching or catching up with football but it was always with you. Whatever happened is done and all is forgiven. And we are all going to love you. Welcome to best damn Steelers site on the web. Let's have a drink buddy. Hope you can keep up.

Sir Blitzelot
04-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Better late than never man, glad to hear your now a part of Steeler Nation :yellowthumb:

:tt02: :welcome::fever: :tt02:

Callax
04-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Welcome and we forgive you for your ignorance of a great sports dynasty taking place right in front of you!!!
Welcome and enjoy!!
I grew up seeing bradshaw and Co. put that dynasty in the history books!!!
I wish I would have enjoyed and relished it more in my youth!!

NOVA STEELERS
04-01-2009, 07:39 PM
:welcome: enjoy the site :cope:

PsychoWard
04-01-2009, 08:52 PM
glad you found us :sup: and :welcome:

steelersgal86
04-02-2009, 06:20 AM
:hiya: :welcome:

0311grunt4ever
04-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Wish I found this site when I caught the bug 3 years ago.

:banging:

Ibleedblk&gld
04-02-2009, 02:39 PM
where in NC were you stationed, and when?

TampaSteelGirl
04-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Doesn't matter when you came into the Steeler Nation...glad you're here now!! :tt02:

JensK
04-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Welcome :) Better late than never ;) You are going to love this site.

Dean Denton
04-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Shame on you....What your saying is if they never won in 05 that you would most likely not be a fan today? I dont know man....I'm going to have to talk to the Rooney's about? This could end up costing you a lot of cash. How do you feel about buying the hottest Steeler fan alive today a new hat and jersey? This my friend should be your punishment for your lack of conviction. Not to mention you had plenty of time to come around based on your parents way of life....This wagon could be full....are you sure your not more of a Ravens or Browns fan because you fit the mold.....I will try and love you if you stick around...But dont forget my hat and jersey....

ejsteeler
04-02-2009, 06:05 PM
:welcome: Have a blast!!!!!! :cope:

Dean Denton
04-02-2009, 06:39 PM
:welcome: Have a blast!!!!!! :cope:
Thats it????

AZ_Steeler
04-02-2009, 06:47 PM
:welcome:

What part of Ohio are you from???

0311grunt4ever
04-14-2009, 07:16 AM
From a little town called Yorkville, but it's on the Ohio River, just south of Steubenville.

Also, my initial post wasn't stating that I'm bandwagon. It merely leaves you the option to call it what it is or may be.

I can't lie- I WAS bandwagon. What age does it matter that you join up?
I was 18, and now I'm 23, and on board for life. My research never stops, and I always continue to flood my mind with everything Steelers.

I even said that I still had faith through the 06 season, and the heartbreaker ending to the 07 season.

Call it what you will- I'll still be sticking around.

Semper Fi