PDA

View Full Version : Scott Wright's Draft Countdown rounds 1 and 2

Callax
03-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Alphonso Smith
Cornerback | Senior | Wake Forest
Height: 5-9 | Weight: 193 | 40-Time: 4.52

Very good athlete...Excellent speed and quickness with a burst to close...Adequate bulk...Outstanding instincts...Great hands...Nice ball skills and body control...Good leaper...Very active...Pretty tough and physical...Displays terrific footwork...Flips his hips well...Decent tackler...Will come up and support the run...Dangerous runner in the open field...Could also offer value as a return man...Has a lot of experience...Top competitor..Supremely confident...Very productive.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the height you look for...Too aggressive at times...A bit of a gambler and will take some unnecessary risks...Can be inconsistent when it comes to being physical...Struggles to match up with bigger wideouts...Will get overpowered and needs to get stronger.

Notes:
Was a four-year starter in the ACC...First team All-American as a senior...Was named All-ACC as a junior and a senior...Holds the ACC record for career interceptions...A true playmaker and ballhawk who will make quarterbacks pay for their mistakes...There isn't much not to like about this guy other than his lack of prototypical height...Would get selected much earlier if he were 2 or 3 inches taller.
Career Statistics
Year GP TKL PBU INT YDS
2004 RS - - - -
2005 11 59 9 3 32
2006 14 48 8 3 23
2007 13 44 10 8 166
2008 13 37 13 7 33
Totals 51 188 40 21 254

Round 2 Jarron Gilbert
Defensive Tackle | Senior | San Jose St.
Height: 6-51/4 | Weight: 288 | 40-Time: 4.87

Good size with a large frame and long arms...Very athletic...Extremely quick...Terrific natural strength and power...Big, strong hands...Nice balance and agility...Is able to penetrate and make plays in the backfield...Decent range and pursues well...Smart with good instincts and awareness...Offers positional and schematic versatility...Reliable tackler...Decent production...Is still improving and has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Inconsistent...Bit of a classic 'tweener...Needs to be more physical and aggressive...Doesn't use his hands well...Has some trouble shedding blocks...Needs to use better leverage...Not a great technician...Motor runs hot and cold...Immature ?...Did not always face elite competition.

Notes:
Could play defensive tackle in a 4-3 scheme or be a five-technique defensive end in a 3-4 and some have even raised the possibility of moving him to offensive tackle...Father Daren played offensive tackle for the New Orleans Saints from 1985-88...Weighed about 240 pounds when he began college...Redshirted in 2004...Played defensive end his first 2 1/2 years with the Spartans before moving inside to defensive tackle as a junior...Was 2nd Team All-WAC in 2007...Had a breakout senior campaign and saw his draft stock soar...Named 1st Team All-WAC and was the conference's Co-Defensive Player of the Year in 2008...Became a YouTube sensation with this clip of him jumping out of a swimming pool...Was one of the stars of the East / West Shrine Game...Similar in some ways to guys like Ikaika Alama-Francis and Jason Jones...A very intriguing prospect with all of the physical tools that you look for..Still a little raw but has all the potential in the world.

Career Statistics
Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK
2004 RS - - -
2005 11 22 5.0 3.0
2006 13 32 7.5 5.0
2007 12 38 7.5 4.0
2008 12 52 22.0 9.5
Total 48 147 42.0 21.5

I like the 2nd round pick He just needs to spot relieve the starting RE and LE this year, he puts on some weight and bulks up some, he could be very good and maybe become a starter next year. I hope the steelers pick OL in first round and go for a corner in the third round
:yellowthumb:

K Train
03-30-2009, 08:48 PM
i would be furious at the first pick (even though i like him better than the other possible bums) but i would only be furious until the second pick happened in which case i would be thrilled. we might have to take gilbert at 32 to get him though

Callax
03-30-2009, 09:10 PM
i would be furious at the first pick (even though i like him better than the other possible bums) but i would only be furious until the second pick happened in which case i would be thrilled. we might have to take gilbert at 32 to get him though

The CB they Would draft has some ball hawking skills and some return skills... Not alot of (I think) very high quality CB this year, not alot of speed at the corner positions..
Do you really think he (Gilbert) will be that highly coveted that Pitt would have to draft him in the first round (late 1st)

what do you think about Kyle Moore in the third round???
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 272 | 40-Time: 4.90 DE usc

K Train
03-30-2009, 09:22 PM
heres how i rank my favorite 3 34DE prospects.

Tyson Jackson-He is pro ready as a 3 down 34end, hes very powerful and a phenom against the run. Safest pick as far as 34 DEs go that ive ever seen.

Jarron Gilbert-Not quite the polished player jackson is, but hes a freak of nature athlete who has seen his stock skyrocket locking him into a late first/early second pick. He has much more superstar potential, but is also more of a project and a bigger risk.

Kyle Moore-Underrated on historically one of the most overrated teams, great prospect as far as being that stack and shed kind of guy a 34 looks for, but hes a little light and would be your typical project and would be a couple years away from starting....could be a solid player with a solid career but the other 2 guys would be faster upgrades imo

K Train
03-30-2009, 09:31 PM
The CB they Would draft has some ball hawking skills and some return skills... Not alot of (I think) very high quality CB this year, not alot of speed at the corner positions..
Do you really think he (Gilbert) will be that highly coveted that Pitt would have to draft him in the first round (late 1st)

what do you think about Kyle Moore in the third round???
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 272 | 40-Time: 4.90 DE usc

and there is probably 2 first round corners, maybe 3....theres easily 10 second and third round guys

darnik44
03-31-2009, 05:51 AM
heres how i rank my favorite 3 34DE prospects.

Tyson Jackson-He is pro ready as a 3 down 34end, hes very powerful and a phenom against the run. Safest pick as far as 34 DEs go that ive ever seen.

Jarron Gilbert-Not quite the polished player jackson is, but hes a freak of nature athlete who has seen his stock skyrocket locking him into a late first/early second pick. He has much more superstar potential, but is also more of a project and a bigger risk.

Kyle Moore-Underrated on historically one of the most overrated teams, great prospect as far as being that stack and shed kind of guy a 34 looks for, but hes a little light and would be your typical project and would be a couple years away from starting....could be a solid player with a solid career but the other 2 guys would be faster upgrades imo

This is a pretty good take on all 3 of them. I would have to add Fili Moala in there also. I was just reading that the Steelers did not invite Tyson Jackson to Pittsburgh for a private workout. That's a head scratcher to me. Perhaps they don't feel he will be there or they've seen all they need to see. There's a good chance the Chargers will be all over him because of the loss of Igor Olshansky.

K Train
03-31-2009, 07:23 AM
i think the chargers and jets would be the two that would be most likely to get him in the middle of the first. I like gilbert more every day though the man is a freak and has some serious explosion