PDA

View Full Version : Longer regular season?

cmerrifield
03-26-2009, 04:16 PM
What do you all think about a longer regular season? I think it would be an advantage to the Steelers in some way, because we are really good about getting quality people as backups. So if there are more injuries with a longer season, I think we could overcome that better than most teams. Also, I would think that it would require the NFL to add more players to the active roster and up the cap, which again I think would help allow the Steelers to shine.

Sir Blitzelot
03-26-2009, 04:44 PM
I do not like the idea at all. What makes the NFL so great is that there are only a limited number of weeks, unlike other sports that play longer seasons. This keeps NFL fans always wanting more when the season ends, and is why many fans start craving football in June. Adding more games would only take away from what makes the NFL so special. Plus, adding more games would lead to more injuries, and teams would be too beat up by the end of the season.

PWTRPWR
03-26-2009, 05:44 PM
If they shorten the preseason, not a bad idea.

BFISHIN80
03-26-2009, 06:02 PM
The more football the better.

BlitzburghNation
03-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Don't like it,,,,,,if it's not broke don't fix it !

A longer season would make more injuries occur :yesnod:

The pre-cramp doesn't play there starters very much at all,they play about a half the 3rd one,,,,,,,I say shorten the pre-crap and leave the schedule alone.

No matter if we like it or not,,,,,it's coming and there saying by 2011 :evilshake:

SteelerRush
03-26-2009, 08:29 PM
I always want to see more games. If they shorten the preseason to 3 games and add 1 game to the regular season I am all for it. I think they should leave the preseason at 3 games no matter if they go to 18 games or 17. The coaches need at least 3 games to evaluate the talent. The players get paid a lot of money to stay in shape all year long, so I don't see it affecting the players at all.:clap:

Stlrs4Life
03-26-2009, 08:39 PM
It sux because it all boils down to $$.

TampaSteelGirl
03-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Don't get me wrong I would love to see more football but it's not practical. THe players obviously didnt even have a say in this...it's their bodies that have to pay the price for the NFL's greediness! THe comish will blame it on the fans saying it will make us happy with more games....I"m sick of them changing things and f*cking with our football...It's real nice for the comish coming from the cheap seats!!! :pullhair:

HUNT4SEVEN
03-26-2009, 08:55 PM
As much as i love football i don't like this ideal either, but it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$ the owners just got an deal with direct t.v that will pay them 1 billion dollars over the next 4 years..........plus with these gay rule changes man the No Fun League is really living up to it's name:willybs::willybs: the N.F.L is changing for the worst.

DahBurgh
03-27-2009, 10:53 AM
As a fan im always going to like seeing more football but if they make the season longer are they gonna add confrence games and if so which ones? Also im sure the players hate that especially linemen....no matter what rules they change linemen are always gonna take and give a beating all season long. I think they should have the players and coaches vote on it.....although they do get paid millions of dollars.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-27-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't like it at all either, everybody loves more football but adding 2 games right off the bat is going to basically make the first 2 regular season games more like preseason football follies IMO. Starters will get almost no playing time at all which means come the opening game they'll all still be shaking off the rust and getting back into game situations. Let's face it you can practice all you want in camp and what not but you have to get on the field too and get back in the flow of the game.

Leave the way it is for the regular season but remove 1 preseason game.

Goodell talks about putting a quality product on the field every week :blah: but like Dom said it's all about the money and nothing else.

If they do this and Im sure they will sooner or later it's going to affect everything about the teams. You'll have to increase the roster size, get more draft picks, that affects your cap number, everything.

Steel Trap86
03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
they said by 2011 the season will be expanded up to 18 regular season games. i put up a thread about it in NFL news

Silverback 92
03-27-2009, 04:02 PM
I like it ,just wonder how it gonna affect 53 man roster to what 65 or so and cap will follow as well

Dean Denton
03-27-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't like it at all either, everybody loves more football but adding 2 games right off the bat is going to basically make the first 2 regular season games more like preseason football follies IMO. Starters will get almost no playing time at all which means come the opening game they'll all still be shaking off the rust and getting back into game situations. Let's face it you can practice all you want in camp and what not but you have to get on the field too and get back in the flow of the game.

Leave the way it is for the regular season but remove 1 preseason game.

Goodell talks about putting a quality product on the field every week :blah: but like Dom said it's all about the money and nothing else.

If they do this and Im sure they will sooner or later it's going to affect everything about the teams. You'll have to increase the roster size, get more draft picks, that affects your cap number, everything. There was no drop off in the quality of play in 1978 when they added 2 games from 14 to 16, so I doubt there will be this time either. The starters are still going to start. Thats the point of this. These games count, and teams will continue to put there best foot forward. You still dont want to be 0-2 to start the season. Its still a crappy hole that you need to dig out of if that happens. You never know, maybe this really will increase the quality and reduce the injury. Starters will have more game reps, and starters wont be playing 15 to 20 minutes and then they can ruduce the risk of tears because they are properly stretch and warmed up..IDK...I think it works. I guess what I hate the most is when a player is lost for the season in a game that means nothing. It still sucks if the gets hurt, but to lose a guy preseason is the worst... I will hope for the best on this one....

Silverback
03-27-2009, 06:28 PM
I would agree with 3 pre-season and 17 regular, but nothing past that. This isn't baseball. I do think it would give us an advantage, not just in our depth but I think one of the proposals had the super bowl on Presidents Day, meaning more winter games at Heinz!

Dean Denton
03-27-2009, 07:11 PM
I would agree with 3 pre-season and 17 regular, but nothing past that. This isn't baseball. I do think it would give us an advantage, not just in our depth but I think one of the proposals had the super bowl on Presidents Day, meaning more winter games at Heinz!
thats a good point.....maybe the should start the season sooner based on that. More games in the snow mean higher risk of injury and lower quality of play...for some anyways...

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-27-2009, 08:08 PM
I kinda like it the way it is now. Of course the last time they changed it , i liked the way it was at that time.
I don't agree with calling the preseason short by two games. No way on "Gods green eath" should they do that.
I think that 4 games is enough time to evaluate a player that you took the time to draft.
2 games is not quite fair to that draftee, or maybe even for the drafted.