PDA

View Full Version : Colbert says Tony Hills will be ready to compete in 2009

BlitzburghRockCity
03-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Listening to Sirius today they were talking to Kevin Colbert, and in the conversation Hills came up. He mentioned last year that Hills really started to get stronger and towards the end of the season the rehab was going very well so he is looking forward to Hills taking the next step this offseason and contend for playing time.

They also mentioned that Starks is their guy at Tackle and they are working very hard to get a long term deal done before the season starts. They like how he performed last year and they think he can become a staple for them and remain a Steeler.

Dean Denton
03-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Who is Tony Hills,and what position does he play?

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Hills is the O-lineman we got in the draft last year...This is good news if there is truth behind it, i can't see a coach going on the radio to talk smack about his players so we shall see..without a doubt we need him to step up and contribute.

Dean Denton
03-24-2009, 07:03 PM
What round did we take this guy? Better yet, day?

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Tony Hills #66 Tackle Pittsburgh Steelers
Height: 6-6 Weight: 305
Born: Nov 4, 1984 - Dallas, TX
College: Texas
Draft: 2008 - 4th round (31st pick) by the Pittsburgh
He's young and still learning...haven't heard much of his progress but there is still hope that this guy could be a great pick up for us...we'll have to see how he develops...:crossfingers:

SteelerRush
03-24-2009, 08:35 PM
31(130) Pittsburgh (From NY Giants) Tony Hills OT TEXAS
Hills is coming off a season-ending leg injury and needs to work on using his hands to control defenders, but he has the size and mobility to develop into an excellent right tackle or adequate left tackle.

Got this off the ESPN site for 2008 draft picks. Maybe he can win the RT tackle position and Colon can move to guard were he should be.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-24-2009, 09:22 PM
I hope so but I still have my doubts about Hills....Of course I want him to become a bad ***....I know Ktrain is very high on him so I'm willing to trust Train's opinion and expecting Hills to show something this year.....

HUNT4SEVEN
03-25-2009, 12:25 AM
That would be nice Starks at left an Hills at right, i think also Kemo an stapelton should be better at their postions, they better be:lol:

K Train
03-25-2009, 12:29 AM
had he not got hurt, hills was a top ten pick and a franchise left tackle...he better ****ing compete, the dude has tremendous size and is damn near perfect in pass blocking

igor0190
03-25-2009, 01:01 AM
had he not got hurt, hills was a top ten pick and a franchise left tackle...he better ****ing compete, the dude has tremendous size and is damn near perfect in pass blocking

Wow, that is a strong statement! That just instilled some confidence in the O-Line for me!

Maybe we don't necissarily need a tackle as bad as we need a Center or Guard? When is Hartwig's contract up? Maybe they do target Wood in the first?

JensK
03-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Wow, that is a strong statement! That just instilled some confidence in the O-Line for me!

Maybe we don't necissarily need a tackle as bad as we need a Center or Guard? When is Hartwig's contract up? Maybe they do target Wood in the first?

Hartwig's contract is up next year. No doub in my mind we need a Center more than a tackle. Hill and Starks can hold their own on tackle, but Hartwig can't do ****. Colon could be moved to guard, but i would still like to draft a guard, because Colon and Kemo is not good at all. Kemo is somwhat decent in down-field run-blocking, but thats it. The jury is still out on Colon as Guard.

TEEMONT
03-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Hartwig's contract is up next year. No doub in my mind we need a Center more than a tackle. Hill and Starks can hold their own on tackle, but Hartwig can't do ****. Colon could be moved to guard, but i would still like to draft a guard, because Colon and Kemo is not good at all. Kemo is somwhat decent in down-field run-blocking, but thats it. The jury is still out on Colon as Guard.

So if the jury is still out, how can you say Colon is no good as a guard?

If there is one thing in this world I want to see, its Colon as a Guard.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Hartwig did pretty decent at Center last year for us, definitely an upgrade from 2007 although that's not saying much. I wouldn't seeing them go for a franchise Center like we're used to seeing in Steelers history but who knows...

If Hills is ready to take a step forward this year and compete for playing time that is all the better for us. Try him out and let's see what the kid can do, maybe you can put Starks back at RT and let Hills grow into the role at LT. Colon to Guard to fight it out with Stapleton who can also back up Center.

JensK
03-25-2009, 01:09 PM
So if the jury is still out, how can you say Colon is no good as a guard?

If there is one thing in this world I want to see, its Colon as a Guard.

I said that from what we've seen from Colon so far, he's been bad, but we have not seen him as guard yet, hence the jury. That was at least what i ment. Besides, our depth on guard isnt exactly deep, so i really do believe that we need to draft a guard at one point.

SteelerRush
03-25-2009, 01:18 PM
I said that from what we've seen from Colon so far, he's been bad, but we have not seen him as guard yet, hence the jury. That was at least what i ment. Besides, our depth on guard isnt exactly deep, so i really do believe that we need to draft a guard at one point.
What about selecting Alex Mack and moving Hartwig to compete with Kemo at one e guard spot, we put Hills at RT, Starks at LT and Colon and Stapleton compete for the other guard spot. That would leave some flexibility in the line.

THEcatch1043
03-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Hopefully this is true...he looked OK in preseason last year...nothing special because i'm sure he was still nursing his injury some...but it would be nice to see him step up and maybe beat out Colon for RT.

As far as moving Hartwig...thats one reason he was released from Carolina...that they apparently wanted him at G so that could start Kalil at C, and he didnt want to. Not saying he wouldnt be willing to now for the Steelers...especially since they did just get him a ring/etc haha.

Stairwayto7
03-29-2009, 06:21 AM

ESPN says a good Right Tackle, and just adequate Left!

Blitzburghpete
03-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Bring back Jason Caprizzi --- !

COLON - i rememebr in his rookie year he was T and there was a video of him going 1 on 1 with Joey Porter and he Owned Porter. Porter started mouthing off at Colon and a little pushing and shoving ensued. What did the "rookie" Colon do... Mouth off back at Porter and gave him back just what he got... Excellent...

Because of this i've liked what colon has done, my only suggestion would be if he has the mobility of a guard play him there. If not he is an adquate - getting better player at tackle IMO.

K Train
03-29-2009, 12:09 PM
ESPN says a good Right Tackle, and just adequate Left!

but ktrain says dominate left....starks is adequate despite being less than average

TEEMONT
03-29-2009, 12:22 PM
but ktrain says dominate left....starks is adequate despite being less than average

I agree...there is a reason ****** QB's like Coly McCoy have great careers in the Big 12. B/c they have dudes like HIlls are protecting thier blind-side.

**** what ESPN says. I swaer if I have to see McShay and Kiper argue like little girls on Sportscenter one more time I'm going to throw a child at my TV.

Stlrs4Life
03-29-2009, 01:42 PM
I hope he can break the starting line up. Moving Colon to Guard would be a good move.

Callax
03-29-2009, 04:15 PM
hills played solid in College but was injury prone and after a year in THE PRO WEIGHT PROGRAM of Pittsburgh, I hope that he will put on some size and strength. He could come in and do (hopefully) better than Colon as he gets (mercifully) moved to guard and fight it out with Stapleton. With some luck Kemoatu should play better than last year. As shown on his contract breakdown, Kemoatu plays like crap this year, he won't be a terrible hit on the salary cap next year (if there is one).
Hill has the size and ability to play RT and do a good job to get our running game back into the top 10, along with the Running backs we got (FWP, Moore, Mendenhall,) it should do well instead of relying on Big Ben for everything.

K Train
03-29-2009, 05:57 PM
hills wasnt as injury prone as its made out to be, he had one devastating injury that has taken him a long tome to recover from, yes some other nagging little things but thats common...hes training with the best and his rehad should be completely done and hopefully hes ready to go

MOTORKRAFT
03-30-2009, 12:51 AM

I don't recall him being projected that high. I think the best I heard was a late 1st or 2nd. round pick. Not top 10.

K Train
03-30-2009, 01:00 AM
I don't recall him being projected that high. I think the best I heard was a late 1st or 2nd. round pick. Not top 10.

im not saying where he was projected, im saying that based on the kind of talent he is....if he wasnt hurt he would have been an elite player, easily top 10.....but he did get hurt and we got him in the 4th round....which may very well end up being a hell of a pickup if hes fully recovered

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-30-2009, 10:30 AM
im not saying where he was projected, im saying that based on the kind of talent he is....if he wasnt hurt he would have been an elite player, easily top 10.....but he did get hurt and we got him in the 4th round....which may very well end up being a hell of a pickup if hes fully recovered

Just gettin him and Mendenhall back at 100% are like two more picks for us..sprinkle in whoever else we get in the draft and we should be sitting pretty...damn i can't wait for the draft!

greennick
03-30-2009, 10:31 AM

Therein lies the rub, IF he's fully recovered...

K Train
03-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Therein lies the rub, IF he's fully recovered...

well no ****.....its all IFs but i like what he brings to the table and i like our chances of getting the player he can be

DBR96A
04-01-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm worried that Justin Hartwig is to Tommy Maddox what Sean Mahan was to Kordell Stewart. What I mean by that is, Mahan and Stewart were lousy at their jobs, but then their replacements looked so much better that we were fooled into believing they were great when they were really just average. It's a matter of perspective. When you can't get much worse, then even a dramatic improvement can still leave something to be desired.

I saw somewhere a list of all centers, guards and tackles ranked by the number of sacks they allowed, and surprisingly, Hartwig came in dead last among centers, and none of the three interior linemen were above the bottom 10. Because of this, I'm thinking that our front office may only see C as a position of need, and it does make sense when you think about it. The C is the keystone for the offensive line, and if your C isn't very studly, then the entire interior collapses in much the same way that an arch does if you remove the keystone.

LT: Max Starks, Trai Essex
LG: Chris Kemoeatu, Justin Hartwig
C: [DRAFT PICK], Justin Hartwig
RG: Willie Colon, Darnell Stapleton
RT: Tony Hills, Trai Essex

That's what I'm betting the depth chart will look like this coming season.

freddy69
04-02-2009, 07:43 AM
anyone can block better then that line did

cmerrifield
04-02-2009, 09:17 AM
James Walker from Espn said he thought that Hills was not ready to start this year, but to be a good backup, and Essex wants to start this year. I think Stapleton was raw last year but has potential. I think with competition in the line, especially if we draft a couple of guys, could make them much better. I would be happy if they keep playing the way they did in the playoffs and especially the Super Bowl.

0311grunt4ever
04-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Speaking of OLine needs and deficiencies, did any one else have a heart attack when Ben was taken out in week 17 by way of concussion?

K Train
04-02-2009, 11:05 AM
James Walker from Espn said he thought .

this is where your post lost all credibility

JensK
04-02-2009, 12:38 PM
James Walker from Espn said he thought that Hills was not ready to start this year, but to be a good backup, and Essex wants to start this year. I think Stapleton was raw last year but has potential. I think with competition in the line, especially if we draft a couple of guys, could make them much better. I would be happy if they keep playing the way they did in the playoffs and especially the Super Bowl.

They really did not play that well in the playoffs. They just played better than normally >.> Okay, its against ravens but still. Letting Suggs, who could only use one arm, sack ben twice, and make a holding in your own endzone. That is not good stuff :P

I havnt seen Hills play at all, but he is getting a lot of kind words, so i would be all about letting him start

cmerrifield
04-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Hey listen, 2 sacks from Suggs is better than 9 from the Eagles. I am just saying if they can continue to improve and the competition forces them to get better, we could be decent with the OL we have. I just dont think we need to panick and draft a whole bunch of OL just because that was the biggest whole last year, 1 or 2 good linemen who can keep pushing the starters, or start themselves is more than enough IMO