PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NFL Draft: AFC North Wood Be Ideal

BlackGold4vr
03-22-2009, 09:37 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/65/656819.jpg

Scout.com's NFL Draft Analyst Chris Steuber has learned that Louisville center Eric Wood will have a private workout with an AFC North team and visit two others in the next few weeks.

When you play in a hard-nosed division like the AFC North, a division that’s known for it’s rushing attacks, adding physical, athletic lineman up front is critical. So, it’s no surprise that three of the four teams in the division are after the same interior force. A source told Scout.com that the Pittsburgh Steelers, Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns will entertain Louisville C Eric Wood over the next few weeks.

Steelers offensive line coach Larry Zierlein will fly to Louisville and conduct a private workout with Wood on April 6th, the Bengals will host Wood at their facility on April 14th and the Browns will do the same on April 15th.

The Steelers have depth issues on their offensive line, an offensive line that allowed their franchise quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, to be sacked 48 times last season. Drafting an offensive lineman with the 32nd overall pick seems to be the direction the Steelers are going to take on draft day. Wood’s draft status over the last two months has ascended dramatically, and he could find his way into the latter part of the first round, possibly being selected by the Steelers.

In the Q&A with Scout.com, Wood stated, “I could see myself on a tough natured team like the Steelers.” He could also see himself on one of the two other teams he’ll meet with, since he was born in Ohio.

The Browns and Bengals hold the fifth and sixth picks respectively in the first round, but if Wood happens to fall out of the opening frame, it’s possible one of the teams will take him in the second round, as the Browns own the 36th pick, and the Bengals have the 38th pick.

http://www.chrissteuber.com/scout/images/ericwood1.jpg

I think that the Steelers 1-32 pick will either be this guy or Jarron Gilbert. Ideally, it would be awesome if we could somehow swing it to get both of these guys.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-23-2009, 11:11 AM
4ver remember Wood is my favorite center in this draft and I have liked him more then Mack from the start....I have seen Wood play more then a few times the last few years and he just reminded of what an interior Steelers OL should be.......I think drafting him at 32 is to high and I would prefer for the Steelers to trade down and draft Wood....But the the Bengals and Browns also having interest then there is a chance of Wood not being there if the Steelers traded down.....So I wouldn't complain if Wood was the pick at 32.....

Wood, Gilbert, Tyson Jackson, Nicks, Beatty or Britton are all players that I would consider at 32.....I don't think Beatty, Jackson won't be there at all at 32 right now......Possibly Nicks to.....

BlackGold4vr
03-23-2009, 12:02 PM
4ver remember Wood is my favorite center in this draft and I have liked him more then Mack from the start....I have seen Wood play more then a few times the last few years and he just reminded of what an interior Steelers OL should be.......I think drafting him at 32 is to high and I would prefer for the Steelers to trade down and draft Wood....But the the Bengals and Browns also having interest then there is a chance of Wood not being there if the Steelers traded down.....So I wouldn't complain if Wood was the pick at 32.....

If Wood is good enough that the Browns or Bengals would take him at picks 36 or 38 then he is good enough to be drafted at 32. I know you have been pimping Woods from the beginning. Obviously the Steelers are considering him at 1-32. Like I said I think it might come down to either him or Jarron Gilbert. I'm hoping that they can move up in the 2nd round and grab Gilbert too!

K Train
03-23-2009, 12:13 PM
tyson jackson is pro ready as a 3 down 5-technique guy but gilbert has way more supertar potential imo. its a risky pick though, especially at 32 but i think thats what its gonna take to get him. if we reach for wood or unger they better damn well be ready to dominate from day one. Ill take any of them over one of the bum *** corners they have us taking though. give me wood, gilbert, lewis, a corner and sammie lee hill as our first 5 picks and ill be thrilled. hill is raw but in 3 years he will be better than raji and brace combined

BlackGold4vr
03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I want Frank "The Tank" Summers too! We can use him as a fullback and shitcan Cary Davis who can't block, catch or break a tackle to gain a yard when we need it! I think he would be a steal in round 5! And the dude is a beast!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-23-2009, 03:15 PM
tyson jackson is pro ready as a 3 down 5-technique guy but gilbert has way more supertar potential imo. its a risky pick though, especially at 32 but i think thats what its gonna take to get him. if we reach for wood or unger they better damn well be ready to dominate from day one. Ill take any of them over one of the bum *** corners they have us taking though. give me wood, gilbert, lewis, a corner and sammie lee hill as our first 5 picks and ill be thrilled. hill is raw but in 3 years he will be better than raji and brace combined

That would be a sweet draft......Wood, Gilbert, Lewis, and Hill are all players that I really like.....You pointed out the concerns about Gilbert though and I agree he is a risky pick.....We know how freakish of an athlete he is and especially for a man his size.....But we don't know how that will translate into the NFL.....I'm concerned he is more freakish athlete then a quality football player......

igor0190
03-23-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm concerned he is more freakish athlete then a quality football player......

See... NYJ Vernon Gholston

K Train
03-24-2009, 02:58 AM
gholston will be badass under rex ryan