PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger: Overrated or Underrated?

Sir Blitzelot
03-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Since being selected 11th overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2004 NFL Draft, Ben Roethlisberger has often found himself often being the center of praise and criticism in the National Football League. Some believe that he is one of the elite quarterbacks in the league, while others believe he is a product of media hype. In 2009, Roethlisberger will be entering his sixth season as an NFL quarterback, with still the same question that remains from his rookie year being asked, is Ben Roethlisberger overrated or underrated?

Ben Roethlisberger found immediate success during his rookie season, taking the Pittsburgh Steelers to a 15-1 record, and an AFC Championship appearance. Despite the achievements, doubters still found the time to criticize Roethlisberger’s game. In his first couple seasons, Roethlisberger played in a run-heavy offense and was often limited in his number of throws. Throughout the 2004 season, Roethlisberger averaged just over 18 pass attempts a game. Once the 2004 NFL playoffs started, Roethlisberger’s game suffered. In two playoff games Roethlisberger threw five interceptions, and finished the playoffs with a 61.3 quarterback rating. Ben’s limited passing attempts and poor play in the playoffs are why some credit Jerome Bettis and a stout defense for the success of the 2004 Steelers, rather than Roethlisberger.

The following season, The Pittsburgh Steelers and Seattle Seahawks met in Super Bowl XL. It was only Roethlisberger’s second season, and a 21-10 victory by the Steelers made Ben the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl. However, this great accomplishment would be overshadowed by his play on the field. Although it was a Super Bowl win, Roethlisberger’s numbers were not anything to write home about. He completed only 9 of 21 pass attempts for just 123 yards, while throwing two interceptions. Roethlisberger’s Super Bowl XL quarterback rating was 22.6, the lowest rating in Super Bowl history. His poor performance on the NFL’s biggest stage would leave a sour taste in his mouth for the next three seasons.

Many people feel the biggest problem with Ben Roethlisberger is that he holds on to the football too long and takes too many sacks. Last season, Roethlisberger was sacked a total of 46 times, which is the second most in the league. In 2007, Roethlisberger was sacked 47 times, which ranked first in the league. At times, Roethlisberger also struggles keeping a grasp of the football. In the last two seasons Roethlisberger has fumbled a total of 23 times, the most by any quarterback in the league.

That is one side of the argument, now it is time to make the case that Ben Roethlisberger is underrated. Roethlisberger finished his rookie season with a perfect 13-0 regular season record, and was thus rewarded with winning the Rookie of the Year award. In his second season Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback to ever win a Super Bowl. He was also voted to the NFL Pro Bowl following the 2007 season.

The Pittsburgh Steelers returned to the Super Bowl in 2008 and faced the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII. Ben Roethlisberger was out to rectify his performance from Super Bowl XL, and that is exactly what he did. Roethlisberger threw for over 250 yards, and the game-winning touchdown pass. With 2:37 left on the clock, and the Steelers trailing 23-20, Ben Roethlisberger would conduct one of the most memorable drives in Super Bowl history. Roethlisberger began completing passes and moving the chains quickly and efficiently, while avoiding two sacks during the drive to keep hope alive for the Steelers. Then on third down and with just seconds remaining, Roethlisberger rolled out of the pocket and found Santonio Holmes in the corner of the end zone, who made a spectacular catch to win Super Bowl XLIII for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

It is true that Ben Roethlisberger may not have gaudy numbers like Tony Romo, but then again Romo has not won a playoff game, Ben has won eight. Sometimes it seems as if the statistics that a player has is the only thing that matters anymore in sports. Ben Roethlisberger may not throw for 300 yards a game, but he will more often than not, put his team in a position to win the football game. In his first five seasons, Ben has won two Super Bowl rings. Throughout his career Roethlisberger has a record of 64-26, which is the best winning percentage by any active quarterback in the NFL. Even with these facts present, some fans and critics still refuse to consider Ben Roethlisberger an elite quarterback, as they are too busy praising Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Well, is Ben Roethlisberger overrated or underrated? That is a question the fans will have to answer, everyone has their opinion. Whether you like him or not, you should respect him, because he has a title next to his name that can never be questioned or debated, and that is the title of champion.

Michael C. Smith aka MCS513
SteelerAddicts.com

Dean Denton
03-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Anyone who thinks Ben is over-rated is just pissed off they dont have him. When the game is on the line there isn't a better QB in the league. Who cares about his numbers in SB XL? Ben was the reason this team even made it to that game. Last time I checked it was Ben burning the Bengals, Colts, then Broncos to get there, not to mention that beautiful tackle to save a game because of poor officiating against the Colts. Wins is what matters most....you can have your 300 yard passers, and you can enjoy watching playoff games from home with them......lol

steelerfan11
03-20-2009, 08:09 PM
I have been arguing that Ben is not over-rated with this idiot for a week or so now (stupid Patriots fan). He says that McNabb, Rivers, and Cutler are all better than Ben.

then again he also said the Steelers OL wasn't bad.

IDIOT!!!

Dean Denton
03-20-2009, 08:15 PM
I have been arguing that Ben is not over-rated with this idiot for a week or so now (stupid Patriots fan). He says that McNabb, Rivers, and Cutler are all better than Ben.

IDIOT!!! Thats because they are the only ones that return his lover letters...The guy is a douche Waffle, and thats the truth to him....His mom tossed him out for bed wetting at the age of 23......loser!!!

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Ben is probably underated. The lack of offensive coordination , forced him to hang on to the ball.More times than not he made the crowd cheer. He is a proven competitor and there can be no argument about that.
He has 2 bowl rings,and i love it. The way he plays , and understands the game , he will probably get at least 3 more. When was the last time he lost in Ohio? Ben seems like he does not care about the critics ,and thats a plus. When was the last time a critic won a superbowl?

steelers4life66
03-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Well people, This is just my opinion but. I've watched the Steelers play for over thirty years. They have been one of the most consistent team in football. One thing they've never been about is flash. The only numbers they have ever cared about are the ones on the score board. How many times have you herd a commentator say the Steelers always find a way to win? The Steelers rather have three good players than one super star. Is Hines a great receiver? No, but he's is one of the best football players to ever play the game. And so far it's worked for them. Check the stats. In the last twenty years no team has won more games then the Steelers. Going back to at least 2000 I told my brother time and time again of we ever get a good QB were going to be a hard team to deal with. In 2004 we got one and look at us now. 2004 15 and 1 season 2005 a SB win. I'm over looking 2006. Ben got hit in the face with a Lincoln Continental had he's appendix removed and suffered a concussion. 2007 Don't know what happened. All I can say is we got beat by a bad *** running game. (Jacksonville) 2008 another SB. If we can keep that O-line playing good I guarantee another SB win in 2009. And when that happens Ben is going to be 3 for 3 with the overrated cheating *** Tom Brady for this decade. Then they'll have to give him he's due. :2cents:

Scorp
03-21-2009, 01:58 AM
Anyone who thinks Ben is over-rated is just pissed off they dont have him. When the game is on the line there isn't a better QB in the league. Who cares about his numbers in SB XL? Ben was the reason this team even made it to that game. Last time I checked it was Ben burning the Bengals, Colts, then Broncos to get there, not to mention that beautiful tackle to save a game because of poor officiating against the Colts. Wins is what matters most....you can have your 300 yard passers, and you can enjoy watching playoff games from home with them......lol

Well said Dean. That was lovely. :yellowthumb:. To the yellow douchebag who started this. Big Ben, the greatest qb on the planet is a quarterback who is suppose to hold on to the ball for how ever long he needs to create plays, even if he has to take a sack. Give Ben all the credit in the world. And all the credit he is not getting. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STEEEEEEEELERS!!!!!! CAN YOU DIG IT? CAN YOU DIG IT? CAAAAN YOOOOUUUUU DIG IIIITTT? :cope: :yellowthumb: :grin1:

Callax
03-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Ben is a very good quarterback that does NOT get the credit he deserves!!!
Most wins in his 1st 5 years
2 time Superbowl Champion
Yes, His numbers at times are NOT SEXY, HE WINS...PERIOD!!!!
I'll take ugly wins vs. sexy losses
It is still early in his career, but he could put up numbers that should put him in the Hall Of Fame
He should get about 250-300 td
about 30,000 to 40,000 yds passing
close to 150 career wins, maybe get Favre's record for most career wins
and hopefully another 1-3 SB wins and a SB MVP along the way
Plus who knows how many come from behind wins he seems to be good for
2-6 a year
who knows how many come from behind wins he'll lead the Stillersto...
BUT:
This is all depends on how He can stay upright ! The OL must play better and maybe he needs to not hold on to the ball as long, to extend his career

Sir Blitzelot
03-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Well said Dean. That was lovely. :yellowthumb:. To the yellow douchebag who started this. Big Ben, the greatest qb on the planet is a quarterback who is suppose to hold on to the ball for how ever long he needs to create plays, even if he has to take a sack. Give Ben all the credit in the world. And all the credit he is not getting. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STEEEEEEEELERS!!!!!! CAN YOU DIG IT? CAN YOU DIG IT? CAAAAN YOOOOUUUUU DIG IIIITTT? :cope: :yellowthumb: :grin1:

Hey man I just wrote this article because I thought it would be a topic of good debate, since there are a lot of people out there who still don't give Ben credit. I would appreciate not being called a douche bag.

Mark B.
03-21-2009, 04:08 PM
MC you are not a douche bag. This was a good article and it brings up some good points about Ben. Just because Ben has negatives about his play takes nothing away from the fact that he has been playing NFL ball at an elite level since his rookie year! Every single time Ben gets blasted I worry he his seriously hurt. The worst two hits were the concussion in Atlanta and that Bart Scott hit in Baltimore. Those were some of the hardest sacks I have ever seen a QB take. I do worry about serious injury because he does hold the ball too long trying to extend plays but I believe that Ben would play that way if he had the best O line in football protecting him.

There are many outstanding and excellent QB's in the NFL that will never have Ben's success. Jay Cutler, Phillip Rivers, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan are excellent young players on decent teams but can you see Rivers, Romo, or Ryan holding up the Lombardi Trophy anytime in the next five years? I may be wrong but I just can't see it with these guys. I take nothing from their skills and I am trying to be objective here but I just don't see it. In fairness I do not see older and highly respected guys like McNabb, Collins, Garcia, or Warner realistically getting cracks at it either. So it leaves us with the true elite QB's that have won recently , both Mannings (Peyton is outstanding hate him or not and Eli is excellent at times), Brady (he may never be the same after the knee) and Ben.

You can take any Steeler hater (I know many) and give them the option of having their QB or Big Ben and they would take Ben. He is a winner through and through. He is a baller who knows how to win and does anything it takes to win all season long. What more can you ask for from a guy. Guys like Ben only come around so often and we got him. We were pretty lucky to get him.

Scorp
03-21-2009, 05:00 PM
We're all here to have a little fun. :yellowthumb:

TampaSteelGirl
03-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Hey man I just wrote this article because I thought it would be a topic of good debate, since there are a lot of people out there who still don't give Ben credit. I would appreciate not being called a douche bag.

I think people either thought you were a Pats fan or someone who wrote this was..I don't think they understoodwhat you are trying to do with this post...That's all...

Good thread though...i'll answer soon..:grin1:

Tim Lumber
03-22-2009, 02:35 AM
Great written article M!! I 100% say Ben is OVERATED!!!! Its actual and factual!

steelers4life66
03-22-2009, 03:06 AM
Since being selected 11th overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2004 NFL Draft, Ben Roethlisberger has often found himself often being the center of praise and criticism in the National Football League. Some believe that he is one of the elite quarterbacks in the league, while others believe he is a product of media hype. In 2009, Roethlisberger will be entering his sixth season as an NFL quarterback, with still the same question that remains from his rookie year being asked, is Ben Roethlisberger overrated or underrated?

Ben Roethlisberger found immediate success during his rookie season, taking the Pittsburgh Steelers to a 15-1 record, and an AFC Championship appearance. Despite the achievements, doubters still found the time to criticize Roethlisberger’s game. In his first couple seasons, Roethlisberger played in a run-heavy offense and was often limited in his number of throws. Throughout the 2004 season, Roethlisberger averaged just over 18 pass attempts a game. Once the 2004 NFL playoffs started, Roethlisberger’s game suffered. In two playoff games Roethlisberger threw five interceptions, and finished the playoffs with a 61.3 quarterback rating. Ben’s limited passing attempts and poor play in the playoffs are why some credit Jerome Bettis and a stout defense for the success of the 2004 Steelers, rather than Roethlisberger.

The following season, The Pittsburgh Steelers and Seattle Seahawks met in Super Bowl XL. It was only Roethlisberger’s second season, and a 21-10 victory by the Steelers made Ben the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl. However, this great accomplishment would be overshadowed by his play on the field. Although it was a Super Bowl win, Roethlisberger’s numbers were not anything to write home about. He completed only 9 of 21 pass attempts for just 123 yards, while throwing two interceptions. Roethlisberger’s Super Bowl XL quarterback rating was 22.6, the lowest rating in Super Bowl history. His poor performance on the NFL’s biggest stage would leave a sour taste in his mouth for the next three seasons.

Many people feel the biggest problem with Ben Roethlisberger is that he holds on to the football too long and takes too many sacks. Last season, Roethlisberger was sacked a total of 46 times, which is the second most in the league. In 2007, Roethlisberger was sacked 47 times, which ranked first in the league. At times, Roethlisberger also struggles keeping a grasp of the football. In the last two seasons Roethlisberger has fumbled a total of 23 times, the most by any quarterback in the league.

That is one side of the argument, now it is time to make the case that Ben Roethlisberger is underrated. Roethlisberger finished his rookie season with a perfect 13-0 regular season record, and was thus rewarded with winning the Rookie of the Year award. In his second season Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback to ever win a Super Bowl. He was also voted to the NFL Pro Bowl following the 2007 season.

The Pittsburgh Steelers returned to the Super Bowl in 2008 and faced the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII. Ben Roethlisberger was out to rectify his performance from Super Bowl XL, and that is exactly what he did. Roethlisberger threw for over 250 yards, and the game-winning touchdown pass. With 2:37 left on the clock, and the Steelers trailing 23-20, Ben Roethlisberger would conduct one of the most memorable drives in Super Bowl history. Roethlisberger began completing passes and moving the chains quickly and efficiently, while avoiding two sacks during the drive to keep hope alive for the Steelers. Then on third down and with just seconds remaining, Roethlisberger rolled out of the pocket and found Santonio Holmes in the corner of the end zone, who made a spectacular catch to win Super Bowl XLIII for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

It is true that Ben Roethlisberger may not have gaudy numbers like Tony Romo, but then again Romo has not won a playoff game, Ben has won eight. Sometimes it seems as if the statistics that a player has is the only thing that matters anymore in sports. Ben Roethlisberger may not throw for 300 yards a game, but he will more often than not, put his team in a position to win the football game. In his first five seasons, Ben has won two Super Bowl rings. Throughout his career Roethlisberger has a record of 64-26, which is the best winning percentage by any active quarterback in the NFL. Even with these facts present, some fans and critics still refuse to consider Ben Roethlisberger an elite quarterback, as they are too busy praising Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Well, is Ben Roethlisberger overrated or underrated? That is a question the fans will have to answer, everyone has their opinion. Whether you like him or not, you should respect him, because he has a title next to his name that can never be questioned or debated, and that is the title of champion.

SteelerAddicts.com

Mike, You think you could give Tim Lumber some writing tips? He could really use your help. Thanks buddy. :yellowthumb:

DahBurgh
03-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Big Ben is underrated. Simple as that, we could have had any other QB and they would not have had the success Big Ben did simply because of his toghness and ability to take a hit and still make a great pass. Our O line struggled this year reguardless of what Ben said without his toughness we wouldnt have came close to the season we had last year. On top of that there is not a QB out there that I would take over Ben to put together a last minute game wining drive. I think that point was proved in the superbowl. We won in the last minute of the game. The "great" Tom Brady couldnt even do that when they lost to the Giants. Big Ben is the man and thats all there is to it.

DIESELMAN
03-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Nice read Mike!! At least you gave 2 sides to your write up. Some people just don't have a clue round here, all they want to do is call people names, having no idea how to argue (debate) their point.

Scorp
03-23-2009, 01:51 PM
I already spoke with M and we should be alright. And i do know how to debate and argue my friend. When i really need to. We're all going to either agree, disagree, or argue whatever the topic of discussion may be. Is that not why we make threads?

DIESELMAN
03-23-2009, 08:59 PM

I already spoke with M and we should be alright. And i do know how to debate and argue my friend. When i really need to. We're all going to either agree, disagree, or argue whatever the topic of discussion may be. Is that not why we make threads?

Oh yeah...thats obvious, I was just making a casual observation. :greengrin:

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-23-2009, 11:03 PM
GREAT article !! Good read with facts supporting both sides. He should be considered one of the elite QBs because of his record,but there will always be haters example, Tim Lumber.He don't need flashy stats just wins, thats all that counts in the end !!

Sir Blitzelot
03-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Thank you my friends, for all the kind words! :yellowthumb:

popstaala
03-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Big Ben played like superman last season... my favorite games were the ones with the ratbirds... everytime Big Ben calls the play on the field, he most likely end up raping ray ray and ed reed for 90+ yard comeback... Ben played his heart out last season with our poor OL ...our defense played with 11 studs on the field all the time.... our offfense has Superman Big Ben.

Steelerlyn
03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Very interesting read!~

steelers4life66
03-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Great written article M!! I 100% say Ben is OVERATED!!!! Its actual and factual!

Banned.......:lol: See ya later little Timmy................NOT!:banana:

SteelersCA314
05-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Excellent article Mr Smith. I think that's why I joined this website.
Big Ben is the right QB for the Steelers and one man will never win a game alone.

steeler875
06-22-2009, 11:22 AM

SteelerAddicts.com

People can talk crap all they want. in the mean time will hire more carpenters to build more trophy shelves

NCSTEELDREAMS69
06-24-2009, 07:09 AM
An excellent QB, and a true leader. I must admit though, it does make me nervous as hell holding on to the ball as long as he does. Seems to be working for him though.

Lunchbucket
06-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Can't think of anyone that fits us better than Ben. Sure he might hang onto the ball too long causing sacks,but that is the gambler in him ,his eyes are always looking for something to exploit.This creates great football( and makes us all hold our breath !LOL). He is NOT passive and safe,but seems to enjoy working an offense inside of 2 minutes,some QB's crumble in that situation,Ben thrives. Good team guy trusts his offensive weapons needs better OL protection though.

LSWANNFAN88
07-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Ben was over-rated for his first two seasons. Now he is under-rated because he has been sacked so many times. No quarterback can be his best if he doesn't have a good line.

--- Added 7/30/2009 at 03:46 PM ---

Good point

Rodger Goodell
12-16-2009, 10:50 PM
big ben sucks donkey dick

SteelerSteve
12-17-2009, 05:18 AM
big ben sucks donkey dickHow have quinn or anderson worked out for your browns this season???

Thats what I thought

steelers4life66
12-17-2009, 08:42 AM
How have quinn or anderson worked out for your browns this season???

Thats what I thought
:haha:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Revisiting this thread now, and looking back at this year so far, I think it's quite clear that while not all of the sacks or the poor offensive performance in general can fall on Ben, some of it needs too.

Ben is a maverick, and that's great, he's got 2 super bowl titles under his belt with that style of play, but I think now he's experienced enough that he needs to be more of a student of the game. He does so many things well, but also I think he also needs to start learning the more traditional aspects of the game too.

MattyVfromCT
02-11-2010, 09:56 PM

IDIOT!!!

i bet he feels like an idiot for the cutler statement now. rivers? mcnabb? those choke artists? lol. and to top it off he thinks our line isn't bad? that's priceless. the guy is clearly blinded by his hatred of the steelers. i got into a similar argument with a cowboys fan who said he's take 8 qb's over ben, including romo. and yes this is after losing his 3rd playoff game. people do say some dumb things

Forbes1960
02-22-2010, 04:03 PM
:yellowthumb: How many Super Bowls does Mcnabb , Cutler, and Rivers have ?

If you add them all up for these QB's , it's a BIG ZERO !

Now, how many does Big Ben have and how many years has he been in the league.

Enough said... :cope:

MattyVfromCT
03-02-2010, 06:04 PM
:yellowthumb: How many Super Bowls does Mcnabb , Cutler, and Rivers have ?

If you add them all up for these QB's , it's a BIG ZERO !

Now, how many does Big Ben have and how many years has he been in the league.

Enough said... :cope:

not even just the super bowls. but ben has won more games than any qb in nfl history through the first 6 seasons of an nfl career. granted we have had great defenses but ben has won a lot of those games with drives in the 4th quarter/overtime. most 4th qtr/ot game winning drives in the nfl since his rookie year. when the game is on the line, the man is incredibly clutch. and look at the garbage o-line blocking for him. anyone who thinks he's overrated is blind, stupid, in denial or all of the above. and i tend to categorize those people as all of the above.

75Steeler
03-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Steelers players have never been given the credit they deserve as far as their skill level and being "great" at the sport. Troy Polamalu is probably the best safety in the league but you rarely hear that said. Heath Miller is one of the best tight ends in the league and that is hardly ever mentioned. Ben is underrated and so is his offensive line. They buy him a lot of that time he needs to get the ball off.

MattyVfromCT
03-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Steelers players have never been given the credit they deserve as far as their skill level and being "great" at the sport. Troy Polamalu is probably the best safety in the league but you rarely hear that said. Heath Miller is one of the best tight ends in the league and that is hardly ever mentioned. Ben is underrated and so is his offensive line. They buy him a lot of that time he needs to get the ball off.

i strongly disagree about the o-line. they are terrible. while it's true that a lot of ben's sacks come from holding onto the ball too long, many times they just get destroyed by the rush, even when it's not a blitz. our line was beat on several occasions in 09 by 3 MAN RUSHES.