PDA

View Full Version : Mike Webster

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Coming out of Wisconsin he was 255 and at 6'1 paved his own way. Shipley coming out of penn state is also 6'1.and weighs 297. Do the math. He can play guard like Webster did ,and would be one hell of a shut the hell up for the people that like to cut on our offensive line. Why don't we do something to help our line? It would almost be an injustice if we did not call on him. He is a native,and knows what is expected. I will not cry,but if we do not find a way to get him in this draft we could be sorry.

steelcityrockers
03-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Similar to Terry Bradshaw, AQ Shipley is God's gift to football. He is JUST like Mike Webster, only fatter!

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Keep on "rockin" steel city!
Now what did you mean?

Sir Blitzelot
03-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah, Shipley would add some much needed help to the offensive line. I was a fan of his in college, and I think he will end up having a nice career in the NFL. :2cents:

steelcityrockers
03-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Keep on "rockin" steel city!
Now what did you mean?

It was a post heavily laced in sarcasm.

Shipley isn't built for the NFL. I can't right now definitively say that he will not translate to the pros, because, well he hasn't been drafted yet.

However, his arms are too short to do much in pass pro, he lacks the strength and bulk to be very good in the ground game. He doesn't have tremendous agility or quickness either. He would be best in a zone blocking scheme, which we don't run. He is a very, very intelligent player who plays with a lot of passion, but in the NFL you need more than that.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Coming out of Wisconsin he was 255 and at 6'1 paved his own way. Shipley coming out of penn state is also 6'1.and weighs 297. Do the math. He can play guard like Webster did ,and would be one hell of a shut the hell up for the people that like to cut on our offensive line. Why don't we do something to help our line? It would almost be an injustice if we did not call on him. He is a native,and knows what is expected. I will not cry,but if we do not find a way to get him in this draft we could be sorry.

Comparing a center from the 70s/80s with a center today just proves how stupid you really are....Please go away now........We already have Shipley on the roster in Doug Legursky...lol

MOTORKRAFT
03-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Retirement and legacy,

While the Steelers do not retire numbers, Webster's #52 has not been reissued by the team since he retired and it is generally understood that no Steeler will wear that number in the foreseeable future.

In 1999, he was ranked number 75 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football players.

Post-football life
Webster was a controversial figure due to his tumultuous personal life after his retirement. He is believed to have been legally disabled in 1996, and possibly before, suffering from amnesia, dementia, depression, and acute bone and muscle pain. He lived out of his pickup truck or train stations between Wisconsin and Pittsburgh even though he had friends and former teammates willing to rent apartments for him. He attended his Hall of Fame ceremony in 1997, but disturbed some with a rambling, 20-minute long, incoherent acceptance speech. In his last years Webster lived with his youngest son Garrett, who was only a teenager at the time but had to act more as the parent to his own father than Webster did. His wife divorced him six months before his death in 2002. He was only 50 years old.

Webster is seen as an example of the difficulties American football players suffer when their careers are over. Other players notable for having retired due to head injuries include Johnny Unitas, Merril Hoge, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Joe Gilliam, Dave Pear, Wayne Chrebet, Al Toon, and Mike Utley.

Webster was cremated after his death. His ashes were split among his wife and their four children.

Ailments
It has been speculated that Webster's ailments were due to wear and tear sustained over his playing career; some doctors estimated he had been in the equivalent of "25,000 automobile crashes" in over 25 years of playing football at the high school, college and professional levels. Protective equipment, in particular helmets, was inferior during Webster's time, and defensive players sometimes employed a "head slap" move that was then accepted although illegal.

Nicknamed "Iron Mike", Webster's reputation for durability led him to play even though injured. Despite several rumors, Webster never admitted to using anabolic steroids at points during his career. He did state, however, that if he did take steroids, "they were legal at the time".

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Comparing a center from the 70s/80s with a center today just proves how stupid you really are....Please go away now........We already have Shipley on the roster in Doug Legursky...lol

Well for your imformation forever 32,Mr football bank of knowledge. Back even in the "70's " Webbie was considered a "bantam weight" by nfl standards and there was " considerable doubt he could handle opposing nfl golaiths". Despite the doubt he quickly showed otherwise. You see , back then even the other side was bigger. You call me stupid?
9 times that little man made the probowl. 6 years in a row from 78 to 83. No other offensive lineman ever has of yet accomplished that.
In 1980 he won the nfl strongman competition,all being a little man right?
Just goes to show ya who the stupid one might just be , by saying a smart,and strong player can not have a part on our team.
Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!

steelcityrockers
03-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Still, it is impossible to compare any player from this era to another. Their are very, very few players from those eras that could even make a roster in today's NFL. Webster would be considered slighlt undersized as a linebacker today, never mind a lineman.

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Despite his so called disadvantage, he still was a force into the 90's. He had other help sure, wolfley , Ilkin to name a few. Mansfield was his major mentor. Chuck was the man that called his number. He obliged ,and now his legacy is history. You never know what a man can do until you call his number. Bigger is not always better! It's been proven too many times in this league. Stamina will outlast fat and bulk more times than not. In my old school way of thinking , maybe it still exists.
I would think you want a fast paced offensive line in this day and age , not a sluggish type. There are stories that "Webbie" used to run back to the line instead of meandering back to his position. To me , i think thats what we need. In my way of thinking , if everyone thinks that your weakness is your o-line , then thats where they are more than likely to attack. Lets face it brother,teams have been trying that. Lineman don't have to be big and fat,they need to be smart and agile. Either one or the other. If you can find both , then you are lucky. I see no problem with upgrading our offensive line at all.If the guy ain't 350 i don't really care. Our style of offense we don't really need that anyway. All we need is a 3 second lineman,thats it.