PDA

View Full Version : Trai Essex resigns with Steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Just got the text from KDKA a few minutes...it's a depth move and nothing else at this point. He hasn't proven able enough to take over a starting spot so atleast we keep some depth at Tackle.... yippee :rolleyes:

Dean Denton
03-17-2009, 03:46 PM
He knows the system at least. Well, he's been in the system anyways...lol

BR7
03-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Phew! finally.. the missing peice of the puzzle is in place.

TampaSteelGirl
03-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Great news!!! :yellowthumb:

Dean Denton
03-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Phew! finally.. the missing peice of the puzzle is in place. Hope it helps you sleep....lol

K Train
03-17-2009, 04:23 PM
essex is a guard...i hate that he was drafted and practices as a tackle....this is an ok move for depth, i guess

NorCalSteel
03-17-2009, 04:26 PM
you hardly ever see him play, but when he does he has always done well. I think it is a good insurance move.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2009, 05:24 PM
He tested the FA market and couldn't find any starting job it would seem so why not come back and play backup on a team that has a chance to get another title..makes sense to me.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Great most of the OL will be back...lol For real I could have cared less if Essex signed as well....He hasn't lived up to his 3rd round draft status and really is just bench material......I was hoping Essex and Kemoeatu would have been gone..lol

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-17-2009, 10:09 PM
And has hardly , if any ,starts. He is the guy,if ya need-em,he's there. You go Tomlin !!

Stairwayto7
03-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Same old line!

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-17-2009, 10:23 PM
You can't have a "smash-mouth" defense,without realizing what an offense can do to you.Tomlin seems to know that "@@$@",and i think he is AWSOME !
He is forming his team as he sees fit,and no matter the chatter, he goes about what he sees as the right move to make.

LatrobePA
03-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Believe it or not he's decent.....

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Oh steel brother, i do have the belief , that we can compete,for a long time to come.

Stlrs4Life
03-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Well, at least he can play 2 positions. We still need to draft a few OL.

Zachintosh66
03-17-2009, 11:09 PM
oooh as DL's across the league tremble with fear

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-17-2009, 11:31 PM
The theory is that our line is not that bad ,but merely playing out of position , un-natural so to speak.No matter how well he may have substituted,he is none the less a substitute.Once you get a player,playing his natural position,you may have game changeing effects. I'm not a football genious,but i can see back to the old days!!!!!!!!!

STEEL CITY TANK
03-18-2009, 12:31 AM
I believe Tomiln is looking for an upgrade in cohesion on the OL, since they know our system maybe with some (alot) of tweaks they can play better as a unit

HUNT4SEVEN
03-18-2009, 01:44 AM
I guess change is not coming to the O-Line this year:lol:, but maybe just maybe they might play better this year:tt02:, seeing that they played all of last year together:yesnod: after all we did when the super bowl with this line:nahnah:

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-18-2009, 02:02 AM
I would not wave my flag just yet about some change not coming to the offensive line. Sure most of the players remain the same,but where will they land?

Stairwayto7
03-18-2009, 06:40 AM
The theory is that our line is not that bad ,but merely playing out of position , un-natural so to speak.No matter how well he may have substituted,he is none the less a substitute.Once you get a player,playing his natural position,you may have game changeing effects. I'm not a football genious,but i can see back to the old days!!!!!!!!!

I could see that! Point well taken! But we`ve had a mediocre line, and we`ve have injuries. We still need to add in this draft, and we need some more depth whether it be draft or a free agent. We won the rig with this line, but we could jeopardize Bens health with these guys in the current roles!

MillerTime83
03-18-2009, 07:32 AM
I could see that! Point well taken! But we`ve had a mediocre line, and we`ve have injuries. We still need to add in this draft, and we need some more depth whether it be draft or a free agent. We won the rig with this line, but we could jeopardize Bens health with these guys in the current roles!

THANK YOU

I we do not take an Offensive linemen on day one I will freak. I hope the Steelers are smart and dont think that they are fine at the O line position. Ben gets $%#$$# up too much as it is. Some of it is his fault, but can you fault a guy trying to make a play. You know comming into this year I wasnt as high on Ben as the past years, but I had to accept this is the way he plays. I dont even want a scrub in the 1st because there wont be quality, but give me a Lewis or Meredith in the secound and ill be happy.

LatrobePA
03-18-2009, 09:38 AM
THANK YOU

I we do not take an Offensive linemen on day one I will freak. I hope the Steelers are smart and dont think that they are fine at the O line position. Ben gets $%#$$# up too much as it is. Some of it is his fault, but can you fault a guy trying to make a play. You know comming into this year I wasnt as high on Ben as the past years, but I had to accept this is the way he plays. I dont even want a scrub in the 1st because there wont be quality, but give me a Lewis or Meredith in the secound and ill be happy.

Start freaking now, CB will be #1 pick (imo), or a tightend, or a place kicker, etc etc...They will take the best guy on their list if he is still there...

Stairwayto7
03-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Start freaking now, CB will be #1 pick (imo), or a tightend, or a place kicker, etc etc...They will take the best guy on their list if he is still there...

A CB? I could live with that! But then a second round O-lineman. Any thing else is unacceptable!

Dean Denton
03-18-2009, 04:25 PM
A CB? I could live with that! But then a second round O-lineman. Any thing else is unacceptable! I agree. It will be the best player on the board....

SteelerRush
03-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Best player on the board or they trade up to take O-line or CB.:thinking:

steelcityrockers
03-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Fernando Bryant re-signed as well. I think I called that somewhere...

K Train
03-18-2009, 08:14 PM
im gonna be a pissed off steeler fan if we draft a corner not named davis in the first round, colbert has said how deep this draft is for corners. i would hate either of those midgets alphonso smith or dj moore and i would be furious at sean smith or darius butler....none of these guys are worth a first round pick, especially to a defense like ours

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Fernando Bryant re-signed as well. I think I called that somewhere...

I didn't realize this guy was 32...i thought he was a youngin.

steelcityrockers
03-18-2009, 08:23 PM
I love Alphonso Smith. He is probably the fastest corner in the draft (don't look at 40 times. They're pretty much useless) and an absolute ball hawk. He has very good cover skills in either zone or man. He is smart and most of his risks are calculated. He has very flexible hips, great footwork, and has value as a returner. He is small (5'9'' 193) and does need to get stronger. His size will get him overpowered sometimes. Does need a little work in run support.

K Train
03-18-2009, 08:31 PM
heres the thing with corners this year....davis is a freak, hes the best corner in the draft and does deserve to go early....i think everyone else is comparable with other guys that went in the first round like ty hill, leon hall, jonathan joseph....guys that are first round failures, decent guys but by no means first rounders.

davis is comparable to guys like newman, asomugha, cromartie(s), maybe revis, pacman jones, and i would even put ross in there.

i just seriously have a problem with corners in the first most of the time

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-18-2009, 08:35 PM
If we got a corner in the 1st round...wouldn't that mean we'd have to pay him 1st round money?..It would have been cheaper to keep Bmac.

K Train
03-18-2009, 08:38 PM
If we got a corner in the 1st round...wouldn't that mean we'd have to pay him 1st round money?..It would have been cheaper to keep Bmac.

first round money really isnt that much when its not in the top 10...money for 32 overall isnt alot

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-18-2009, 08:40 PM
first round money really isnt that much when its not in the top 10...money for 32 overall isnt alot

yea i wasn't sure..that's why i was asking...i was thinking 1st rounders command alot of cash.

K Train
03-18-2009, 08:44 PM
thats the general thought process, but thats because of the 15-35 million guaranteed for top 10 picks, even timmons didnt get an outrageous deal at 15, but guys like holmes, miller, mendenhall and whoever we take this year will get a fair deal for their slot

Stairwayto7
03-18-2009, 08:50 PM
heres the thing with corners this year....davis is a freak, hes the best corner in the draft and does deserve to go early....i think everyone else is comparable with other guys that went in the first round like ty hill, leon hall, jonathan joseph....guys that are first round failures, decent guys but by no means first rounders.

davis is comparable to guys like newman, asomugha, cromartie(s), maybe revis, pacman jones, and i would even put ross in there.

Great take on the corners, and more than likely you are correct. Our problem is our first, 32nd, is like a second! And our second is like a third!

K Train
03-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Great take on the corners, and more than likely you are correct. Our problem is our first, 32nd, is like a second! And our second is like a third!

dont underestimate the value of 32 though...you dont want to rach for butler or sean smith when there are probably 15 corners worth a day 1 pick.

coye francis, mike mickens, macho harris, sherod martin (who i really like despite him being kinda old for a rookie...troy cranks out some good defensive talent) and kevin barnes are all just as good second round prospects as those other guys are first round prospects.

steelcityrockers
03-18-2009, 09:06 PM

I agree that Davis is the best corner in the draft by far.

The guys you listed have issues that makes them not very successful.

Tye Hill has had a lot of injuries and plays for the shitacular Rams defense where he would have to do pretty much everything even if he could stay healthy. The Rams secondary isn't that bad really with Oshimogo, and Bartell but the front seven is dreadful.

Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall have no pass rush and are forced to cover for extended periods of time. They really aren't that bad. Its the defense in front of them and the ****** safety play behind them that make them look below average.

K Train
03-18-2009, 09:47 PM
but to me those guys i mentioned are mediocre talents, not so much terrible thats not what im getting at but theres an awful lot of corners of equal caliber taken in the 2nd-4th round...its a position where there are a few absolute studs which is very rare but the good solid talents are a dime a dozen. i do undervalue the position since we usually get our guys later in the draft and they do fine, i wouldnt pass on davis ever because i think he will be a truely great corner but ike, gay, mcfadden, townsend were all taken second and beyond. and guys like brandon flowers who showed up all the first round guys imo were taken in the second.

basically if you have a chance of getting a stud, by all means take him, but there are quality starters to be had in the later rounds...more so than a lot of other positions imo