03-15-2009, 08:28 AM
http://nfldraftspot.com/

Black@Gold Forever32
03-15-2009, 10:38 AM
nice site.....

K Train
03-15-2009, 11:38 AM
http://nfldraftspot.com/

me and you rarely see eye to eye on mocks and even opinions on why a player is ranked the way they are and how they will be used in the pros or how good they are for certain schemes but our positional rankings are damn near spot on with each other, we just rarely agree why lol

darnik44
03-15-2009, 12:21 PM
me and you rarely see eye to eye on mocks and even opinions on why a player is ranked the way they are and how they will be used in the pros or how good they are for certain schemes but our positional rankings are damn near spot on with each other, we just rarely agree why lol

I don't know, that's a good question. I guess we've primarily just debated the Steelers picks for the most part. I think we view the process itself differently. You seem to be more of a need guy and I'm more of a value guy.

BTW, off the subject...Michigan's Will Johnson (a 3-4 DE prospect) put up 47 reps on the bench at Michigan's pro day. I've never heard of such a high number.

K Train
03-15-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't know, that's a good question. I guess we've primarily just debated the Steelers picks for the most part. I think we view the process itself differently. You seem to be more of a need guy and I'm more of a value guy.

BTW, off the subject...Michigan's Will Johnson (a 3-4 DE prospect) put up 47 reps on the bench at Michigan's pro day. I've never heard of such a high number.

meh, i want need but im all about value....i prefer just getting the guy we want regardless if it is moving up or down. im all about best player available especially through rounds 2-7 but feel with first rounders they should look for a guy that they really want and just get him if they dont think hes gonna be there. like last year mendenhall was completely a value pick, he wasnt "supposed" to be there...but there really wasnt any guys that they just wanted bad enough to be aggressive. this year i think there could be whether its oline or a guy like tyson jackson....i just really hope we dont draft a corner in the first, thats what would **** me off this year, unless his name is vontae.

i just wish starks walked, or they let kemo walk or something and provided a little urgency to be aggressive

47 reps is freak status

darnik44
03-15-2009, 02:56 PM
meh, i want need but im all about value....i prefer just getting the guy we want regardless if it is moving up or down. im all about best player available especially through rounds 2-7 but feel with first rounders they should look for a guy that they really want and just get him if they dont think hes gonna be there. like last year mendenhall was completely a value pick, he wasnt "supposed" to be there...but there really wasnt any guys that they just wanted bad enough to be aggressive. this year i think there could be whether its oline or a guy like tyson jackson....i just really hope we dont draft a corner in the first, thats what would **** me off this year, unless his name is vontae.

i just wish starks walked, or they let kemo walk or something and provided a little urgency to be aggressive

47 reps is freak status

I'll take Starks over any rookie out there with the exception of Monroe or Jason Smith. Look at it like this. How good would Max Starks have been last year if he played college football? I bet he would have been dominant. Just like all the top OT's. Thing is, Starks got all of the adapting to the NFL out of the way. Urgency is never a good position to be in. The Steelers do a nice job of avoiding that. They usually enter a season with options. I'll take that year after year.

CB could be the pick. Based on who I expect to be available, provided the Steelers don't move up or down I have to believe there is atleast a 50% chance they go CB.

K Train
03-15-2009, 03:10 PM
I'll take Starks over any rookie out there with the exception of Monroe or Jason Smith. Look at it like this. How good would Max Starks have been last year if he played college football? I bet he would have been dominant. Just like all the top OT's. Thing is, Starks got all of the adapting to the NFL out of the way. Urgency is never a good position to be in. The Steelers do a nice job of avoiding that. They usually enter a season with options. I'll take that year after year.

CB could be the pick. Based on who I expect to be available, provided the Steelers don't move up or down I have to believe there is atleast a 50% chance they go CB.

i hate everything about starks, not only is he merely average but he has reached any potential he might have had, what you see is what you get. i would love oher or beatty, they would be instant upgrades based on potential alone. starks engulfs players in the run game, he always has but i hate that hes getting treated like an all pro.

if starks was at the combine this year he still would have looked dumb and heavy in positional drills.

maybe urgency wasnt the best way to put it, but i would prefer they go with an aggressive approach to get someone rather than taking a bum *** corner at 32....corners like the guys that are projected to be there at 32 are more comparable to leon hall, jonathan joseph, ty hill...all guys ive considered to be reaches and first round failures since they were drafted

Black@Gold Forever32
03-15-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm a value whore to....I hate to see the Steelers reach for a player.....I won't name any names since Ktrain knows one I use to constantly bitch about...lol

I wouldn't mind the Steelers taken a shot at Will Johnson.........But I still wouldn't touch until the 5th and beyond......His work out might have pushed him as early as the 4th.....

K Train
03-15-2009, 03:19 PM
lets not get me wrong...im all about value, ****ing hate everything about reaching. i just am all for moving up, i am guilty of playing favorites but who isnt....theres guys i love that i think they should do all they can to chase and get and theres guys i would hate at 32 even if thats where they are "valued"

darnik44
03-15-2009, 03:59 PM
i hate everything about starks, not only is he merely average but he has reached any potential he might have had, what you see is what you get. i would love oher or beatty, they would be instant upgrades based on potential alone. starks engulfs players in the run game, he always has but i hate that hes getting treated like an all pro.

if starks was at the combine this year he still would have looked dumb and heavy in positional drills.

maybe urgency wasnt the best way to put it, but i would prefer they go with an aggressive approach to get someone rather than taking a bum *** corner at 32....corners like the guys that are projected to be there at 32 are more comparable to leon hall, jonathan joseph, ty hill...all guys ive considered to be reaches and first round failures since they were drafted

Like I said, outside of the top few OT's, nobody would give the Steelers a better chance to win next year. From future potential sure, but I don't want to step backwards to step forward. Now they don't have to start a rookie at LT. If they do start a rookie at LT, great. That means sombody beat out Starks. We atleast know we are good enough at LT to win a SB, right? Give us a rookie starting LT (the 6th or 7th best overall OT) and then very thin depth behind him and we could have problems.

Don't forget, there are only a small hand full of rookies who will make an impact league wide next year. Fortunatly the Steelers success won't lie in the hands of rookies. Some teams hope and cross their fingers to plug holes with rookies. The Steelers get young talent and develope it. That's why they generally can overcome injuries.

K Train
03-15-2009, 04:07 PM
lol i wasnt implying to just clean house and hope for the best during the draft but i think were gonna end up with the same 5 guys starting which is an offseason failure to me. hopefully hills can do something and hopefully we draft one player that can just become dominate....one guy can make everyone better

DCBill
03-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I'll take the first two, easily, and then opt for TJ Lang, the OL, who can play OT/G and maybe Center.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-15-2009, 05:23 PM
lol i wasnt implying to just clean house and hope for the best during the draft but i think were gonna end up with the same 5 guys starting which is an offseason failure to me. hopefully hills can do something and hopefully we draft one player that can just become dominate....one guy can make everyone better

I think the Steelers OL has solid OT's.....I know that sounds strange coming from me....Since I have been critical of both Starks and Colon in the past.....I think if the Steelers could upgrade their OL inside then it would help both OT's......I don't think Starks or Colon will ever be great and I still think Colon should move inside......But I really do think if we can get dominating OG's and center then our OL would be back on the right track......

Losing Hartings and Faneca were big blows inside.....I thought Faneca was over-rated through out his Steelers career but he is still better then Kemoeatu and I would take an aging Faneca over Kemoeatu but Faneca wasn't worth the money he got from the Jets.....

Upgrade the interior of the OL and I really think we will see huge improvements from the OL and in goal line/ short yardage situations.............

Andalusi
03-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the cool link :grin1:

darnik44
03-15-2009, 06:07 PM

They probably will have the same starting 5. That starting 5 just so happens to be good enough to win a Super Bowl. They should continue to get better. Look around the league at the good offensive lines. In most cases they have been together awhile.

I'm not saying they don't need to bring in some young talent, because they do. I just don't want them to have to be thrown into the fire too soon.

K Train
03-15-2009, 06:12 PM
They probably will have the same starting 5. That starting 5 just so happens to be good enough to win a Super Bowl. They should continue to get better. Look around the league at the good offensive lines. In most cases they have been together awhile.

I'm not saying they don't need to bring in some young talent, because they do. I just don't want them to have to be thrown into the fire too soon.

are we really going to credit the superbowl win with the sorry play of the offensive line? they won games by making up for it elsewhere, not because of the oline...they did everything an oline can do to make a team fail and they even failed at that lol

darnik44
03-15-2009, 06:49 PM
are we really going to credit the superbowl win with the sorry play of the offensive line? they won games by making up for it elsewhere, not because of the oline...they did everything an oline can do to make a team fail and they even failed at that lol

I never said they won because of great line play. I said they were good enough to win with. That's not disputable. Because they have the whole unit back they can draft high potential players that need a year or 2 of coaching up. Your boy Lewis falls right into that category. Guys like Lewis would have to get much less consideration and or chance to be drafted by by Steelers had they lost Starks. They would have had to try to get a guy who could start year one. Which would almost guarantee needing to trade up. By keeping Starks they don't have to move up. They still could and very well may move up, it's just a different outlook when you don't have to. They now stand a good chance to get a DE, CB, OT, and OG inside the top 100, or maybe even a receiver. Watch them work this draft. They can sit back and fill needs, all the while drafting for value. The Steeler way is to build today for tomorrow.

SteelerRush
03-16-2009, 09:01 PM
I never said they won because of great line play. I said they were good enough to win with. That's not disputable. Because they have the whole unit back they can draft high potential players that need a year or 2 of coaching up. Your boy Lewis falls right into that category. Guys like Lewis would have to get much less consideration and or chance to be drafted by by Steelers had they lost Starks. They would have had to try to get a guy who could start year one. Which would almost guarantee needing to trade up. By keeping Starks they don't have to move up. They still could and very well may move up, it's just a different outlook when you don't have to. They now stand a good chance to get a DE, CB, OT, and OG inside the top 100, or maybe even a receiver. Watch them work this draft. They can sit back and fill needs, all the while drafting for value. The Steeler way is to build today for tomorrow.
Look I am not a draft guy, I don't evaluate college talent but I agree with what the Steelers have done to build through the draft. They seem to always put themselves in a position in the first round to draft the highest rated player available, that may not always help them that year but thay get the time to learn from the other veterans and coaches about what it takes to be successful in a Steeler uniform. If they do help, then thats the Bonus we get but not expected with the Steelers.

darnik44
03-17-2009, 05:43 AM
Look I am not a draft guy, I don't evaluate college talent but I agree with what the Steelers have done to build through the draft. They seem to always put themselves in a position in the first round to draft the highest rated player available, that may not always help them that year but thay get the time to learn from the other veterans and coaches about what it takes to be successful in a Steeler uniform. If they do help, then thats the Bonus we get but not expected with the Steelers.

Well said. I look at it like this. Next year Mendenhall and Sweed will be their rookie standouts (hopefully). Usually their draft picks are seldom seen year one. Year two is when they typically break out. No sense to rush them on the field. Polamalu was rushed on the field, remember his terrible rookie year?

MillerTime83
03-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Well said. I look at it like this. Next year Mendenhall and Sweed will be their rookie standouts (hopefully). Usually their draft picks are seldom seen year one. Year two is when they typically break out. No sense to rush them on the field. Polamalu was rushed on the field, remember his terrible rookie year?

Polamalu was hardly used. I dont think you can call it a terrible year if he was only used in nickle and dime packages. O yeah we traded up for Polamalu. So I say we trade up for Beatty like around where the colts pick. As far as wr's go I really like Sweed, but if Harvin/Britt are there i would love to see them on our team. They are straight ballers! Ill get my popcorn ready for those guys :popcorn: