PDA

View Full Version : Rooney to be next Irish Ambassador?

Stairwayto7
03-11-2009, 05:14 PM
In honor of next weeks St.Patricks Day!

Dan Rooney was born and raised in Pittsburgh, but he has always remembered where his family came from: Ireland. Now, he may be headed back to his ancestral homeland, at least for a little while.

Irish newspapers are saying that Rooney is expected to be named the next US ambassador to Ireland sometime in the near future.

The rumors make a lot of sense. Ambassadorships often go to people who have helped the new President politically, and Rooney did do a lot of work to help Barack Obama win Pennsylvania during the Presidential election.

Also, Rooney has kept close ties to Ireland, where his grandparents emigrated from in the late 19th century, and he has founded the fund-raising organization The Ireland Funds.

The big question is what would Rooney's departure do to the Steelers. Rooney has handed over most of the decision making to his son Art Rooney II, and he will be just a phone call away, so his departure wouldn't affect anything on the day-to-day functioning of the team. But as far as being the team -- and, in some ways, the league's -- guiding force, Rooney would be sorely missed if he hopped a plane to Ireland.

Dean Denton
03-11-2009, 05:36 PM
He could give it to me and I would get us a better OL and OC. Everything else I would leave alone. Plus I'm taller then him. Its a smart business move.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Dan won't just up and leave the organization; is whole life has been this team and even though Art deuce oversees most of the day to day operations Dan will always have a hand in this team and keeping the NFL grounded.

TEEMONT
03-16-2009, 12:35 PM
and this is the joke the obama admin has become..."u gave e money?...ok..u can be the ambassador to Ireland"

lloydfan4life
03-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Steelers owner Dan Rooney to be ambassador to Ireland
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
By James O'Toole, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
President Barack Obama today announced his intent to nominate Steelers owner Dan Rooney as ambassador to Ireland.

In a statement from the White House, Mr. Obama said, "I am honored and grateful that such a dedicated and accomplished individual has agreed to serve as the representative of the United States to the Irish people. Dan Rooney is an unwavering supporter of Irish peace, culture, and education, and I have every confidence that he and Secretary [of State Hillary] Clinton will ensure America's continued close and unique partnership with Ireland in the years ahead."

A ceremony will be held this morning in the Roosevelt Room of the White House.

Mr. Rooney was in Washington last night to be honored by the American Ireland Fund, the group he has nurtured as a force for peace in Northern Ireland. He is to be at the White House today, St. Patrick's Day, for a reception for Brian Cowen, the Irish Taoiseach, or prime minister.

Mr. Rooney was an outspoken campaigner for President Barack Obama. He presented the then-candidate with a Steelers jersey as he introduced him at Mr. Obama's final appearance in Pittsburgh before the election.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Link (http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09076/956233-100.stm)

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-17-2009, 10:56 AM
wow....i don't even know what to say on this one. I guess congrats Mr.Rooney??:thinking:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Congrats to Mr. Rooney, it's an extreme honor him to say the least. Im sure he's thrilled beyond belief about this appointment.

Stlrs4Life
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
and this is the joke the obama admin has become..."u gave e money?...ok..u can be the ambassador to Ireland"

Yeah the last adinistration never did that!!!!!!!!!!

Dean Denton
03-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Yes....This is great news. Congrats MR. Rooney...This just proves my point that the Steelers are taking over the world one country at a time.....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
03-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Rooney for President!! :D

Dean Denton
03-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Rooney for President!! :D Yes, but what country?

Steeler Sandy
03-18-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't know if I like all the attention the Steelers and the Rooneys are getting from the White House. I think it will make other fans and teams feel that they are garnishing favors and are as corrupt as our government has become.

TEEMONT
03-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah the last adinistration never did that!!!!!!!!!!

lol...when your party's slogan is "Change", then maybe you shouldn't do "what the last party did".

But I guess it's ok to justify everything your boy does by saying thats what the previous administration. If it helps you sleep at night, thats fine.

Dean Denton
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't know if I like all the attention the Steelers and the Rooneys are getting from the White House. I think it will make other fans and teams feel that they are garnishing favors and are as corrupt as our government has become.
What makes you think we (Steelers) aren't corrupt already? Have you ever heard of a rich person that was squeaky clean or didn't have maybe just a little guilt on their conscience? If theres not already, there will be blood.....