PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Compensatory picks...

DIESELMAN
03-11-2009, 05:24 PM
No, they're not out yet, but I've been reading here and there and we have a good chance of getting a 3rd rounder for losing Faneca. Mewelde Moore and Clark Haggans cancel each other out.

PITTSBURGH
Lost: Alan Faneca, Clark Haggans
Signed: Mewelde Moore

Pittsburgh (Alan Faneca, $7.8 million, 16/16, Pro Bowl)

As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

darnik44
03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I think it's a lock that the Steelers get a 3rd for Faneca. They go by the size of the contract, games started, and making the pro bowl figures in greatly. They are 3 for 3 with Faneca. Haggans on the other hand didn't fare so well.

DCBill
03-14-2009, 07:47 PM
I keep thinking--for losing Faneca--the Steelers will get one "comp" pick at the end of the third and a second one at the end of the fifth or sixth.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-14-2009, 08:48 PM
On steelerfury.com.....A poster had a detailed lay out about the compensatory picks.....According to the poster the Steelers will be rewarded an extra 3rd......

DCBill
03-15-2009, 05:48 PM
I can dream, can't I??

But, one between a third and fourth is good, because that means we get a shot--likely--at one of the "100 best players available," depending on how many "comps" the NFL awards between rounds 3 and four.

Andalusi
03-15-2009, 06:26 PM
My Steelers friend from work is leaving for another job so I might as well start getting used to asking questions here. Ok this is a stupid question but this is the first draft I will actually see. All I know of the draft is you get to pick a player in order of how well you did and so we pick last. What is a compensatory pick?

Callax
03-15-2009, 06:34 PM
PITTSBURGH
Lost: Alan Faneca, Clark Haggans
Signed: Mewelde Moore

Pittsburgh (Alan Faneca, $7.8 million, 16/16, Pro Bowl)

Quote:
As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

This is, in a nut shell, what Compensatory picks are... I think we better get a 3rd round pick.. How else could he be judged any higher: played on SB champ., Pro-Bowls EVERY year he played in this league (and still counting) if the league screws PITT by giving a 4th round, then **** ON the league office!!!
for haggins and moore, they are a wash.....
we'll only get a 3rd round

Andalusi
03-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. That makes sense. So how do they decide in what round we get the compensatory pick. Is it all based on the secret formula? The more of our loss the earlier the round so that we get a chance at a replacement more equal to our loss?

DCBill
03-15-2009, 11:18 PM
You just grasped it all.

There reportedly is a formula, but it's buried in the NFL HQ in New York.

However, the previous answer gave you enough accurate info to be dangerous.

Most of us are assuming, because Faneca was such a high profile FA last year, the Steelers will get at least one pick--and between the third and fourth rounds is the highest awarded--and the possibility of a second one later on. But, the skeptics/cynics on the baord think it only will be one.

"Compensatory" picks cannot be traded, but one could see--if it fit into their plans--the Steelers trading their third pick in the draft, which is #96, knowing that they will get a "comp" pick between Rounds 3 and 4, which might be anywhere from #97 to #105 or so.

"Comp" picks are announced when the NFL meets, generally near the end of March, so you adjust your April draft plans knowing which conp picks you get and where they will be chosen.

Looking forward, we will earn a "comp pick" in the 2010 draft for "losing" McFadden, unless this year we sign one or two FAs--like Carr or Galloway--who have visited, or some FA down the road the Steelers decide they want.

BR7
03-24-2009, 02:15 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-268/Compensatory-picks-are-in.html

The Pittsburgh Steelers gained one pick: No. 169 overall at the end of the fifth round. :scratch:

The Cincinnati Bengals gained four extra picks: No. 98 overall in the third round, No. 209 overall in the sixth round, and No. 249 and 252 overall in the seventh round.

The Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens were shut out of the compensatory pick sweepstakes this year. The formula, although not exactly known, is based on the combination of quality free agents gained and lost the previous year.

rarthur1
03-25-2009, 01:08 AM
The Steelers got reamed. No matter how you try to justify it, they got scrawed

Koopa
03-25-2009, 03:47 PM
maybe it's because we won the super bowl so they figured that was compensation enough for losing faneca..............

K Train
03-25-2009, 04:19 PM
comp picks are extra anyway....not exactly getting "reamed"

SteelerRush
03-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Yeh I feel like we got reamed. Losing two starters for a third down back. To give us only a fifth round pick, yeh we got the shafted.

DIESELMAN
03-26-2009, 04:12 AM
DANA POINT, Calif. — No conspiracy theory here, folks.

And for those who wondered otherwise, the Steelers did not get jobbed when the NFL only gave them a fifth-round compensatory draft pick even though they lost perennial Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca to free agency last year.

At the end of a seven-page booklet that details how compensatory picks are awarded — and that so much space is needed to explain how the complicated formula works is another blog item for another day — is the explanation for why the Steelers did not get a higher compensatory pick in April's draft.

Teams that lose a free agent with 10 or more seasons of NFL experience can get no better than a fifth-round compensatory pick for that player.

What happened in the case of the Steelers: the addition of running back Mewelde Moore and the loss of outside linebacker Clark Haggans essentially canceled each other out. That left Faneca, who suited up for the Steelers from 1998-2007, as the only player in the formula the NFL uses to determine compensatory picks.

Ultimately, the Steelers got the most they could have for losing of Faneca as they have the first compensatory pick in the fifth round.

BlitzburghNation
03-26-2009, 08:23 AM
:popcorn: Oh Well,,,,,,,:evilshake:

Silverback
03-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Thats dissapointing

Zachintosh66
03-26-2009, 07:42 PM
im not gonna complain... an extra pick is an extra pick

Callax
03-26-2009, 09:31 PM
AKA:
A BONE JOB IS STILL A BONE JOB
PITT still got hosed!

BlackGold4vr
03-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Maybe this gives us a better chance at drafting Frank "The Tank" Summers.......

He is projected as a 5th or 6th rounder. 5'9 / 240

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC1OFDMdMik

K Train
03-27-2009, 04:54 AM
it makes sense to me