PDA

View Full Version : Chris Carr visiting the Steelers

Big T
03-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Gerry Dulac of the Pottsburgh Post-Gazette reported today that the Steelers are meeting with Free Agent Cornerback Chris Carr. Carr, former Tennessee Titan Corneback, was also a vital part of Tennessee's return game last year. Carr averaged 28.1 yards per kickoff last year which was good enough for 4th best in the NFL.

What do you guys think of the possible signing of Chris Carr? I think I would be a great pick up due to the fact that he would add depth to our cornerback situation aswell as giving us an explosive return man. The fact that he is only 25 years old should be a factor of whether or not the Steelers will give him a shot.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-11-2009, 10:36 AM
lol...here we go again.We better sign someone soon..the crowd is getting restless.

We will need some depth in the secondary now with both Smith and Bmac gone,but if we end up paying someone close to what we could have kept Bmac for i'm gonna be :cursin:

Stairwayto7
03-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Good news!

STEEL CITY TANK
03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I really hope we pick him up and see what he can do for us

--- Added 3/11/2009 at 10:59 AM ---

LOL I just read that his first touchdown was an interception thrown by big ben returned for 100 yards

yinzer
03-11-2009, 01:56 PM
lol...here we go again.We better sign someone soon..the crowd is getting restless.

We will need some depth in the secondary now with both Smith and Bmac gone,but if we end up paying someone close to what we could have kept Bmac for i'm gonna be :cursin:

:plus1:

Dean Denton
03-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I really hope we pick him up and see what he can do for us

--- Added 3/11/2009 at 10:59 AM ---

LOL I just read that his first touchdown was an interception thrown by big ben returned for 100 yards
Where the hell have you been Johnny come lately...lol

STEEL CITY TANK
03-11-2009, 02:36 PM

Yeah but Bmac wasn't a consideration for KR or PR, so for the loss in proven skill for the DB position (BMac) we can get depth at DB and a returner in chris carr

K Train
03-11-2009, 02:56 PM
stop the charade and get this man a jersey

SteelerRush
03-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't see the value in him. He is too small to play CB and he has never scored a touchdown as a return man.

Dean Denton
03-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I don't see the value in him. He is too small to play CB and he has never scored a touchdown as a return man. How many TD's have we had returning kicks in the last few years anyways? He would give us a better chance at least. We have a couple of slow boats right now. Punts we are fine with Holmes, but KR we suck. He will be fine at DB under the Tomlin system anyways so I agree with Ktrain and we need to get him a jersey....

STEEL CITY TANK
03-11-2009, 03:45 PM
I don't see the value in him. He is too small to play CB and he has never scored a touchdown as a return man.

He's 5 ft 10 same height as deshea, and his stats as a returner outshines any of Pittsburgh returners as of right now....Gary Russell had 16 returns overall last season for 371 yards averaging 23.2 yards. Chris Carr had 35 returns overall last season for 984 yards averaging 28.1 yards. If Russell would have returned kicks 19 more times he would have returned for 440.8 based on his average and had a total of 811.8 yards.....but I doubt he would have put up those numbers so there's chris carr's value.

SteelerRush
03-11-2009, 03:55 PM
He's 5 ft 10 same height as deshea, and his stats as a returner outshines any of Pittsburgh returners as of right now....Gary Russell had 16 returns overall last season for 371 yards averaging 23.2 yards. Chris Carr had 35 returns overall last season for 984 yards averaging 28.1 yards. If Russell would have returned kicks 19 more times he would have returned for 440.8 based on his average and had a total of 811.8 yards.....but I doubt he would have put up those numbers so there's chris carr's value.
Gary Russell is not a good returner. The only reason he was in their was because he didn't fumble the kick offs. Deshea is a freak at 5'10". I guess you thought Allen Rossum was a good returner too! What a waisted signing he was...

STEEL CITY TANK
03-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Gary Russell is not a good returner. The only reason he was in their was because he didn't fumble the kick offs. Deshea is a freak at 5'10". I guess you thought Allen Rossum was a good returner too! What a waisted signing he was...

Gary isnt, so who is that is signed with us? um yea but he was in there none the less :crazy:.....ok true deshea is but carr would add depth to the DB position and he could show up on game day and play good ball. AR was not a good returner.....Gary is not a good returner......Carr is killing 2 birds with one stone DB depth and returner......

SteelerRush
03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Gary isnt, so who is that is signed with us? um yea but he was in there none the less :crazy:.....ok true deshea is but carr would add depth to the DB position and he could show up on game day and play good ball. AR was not a good returner.....Gary is not a good returner......Carr is killing 2 birds with one stone DB depth and returner......
How about a guy by the name of Mendenhall! We need to get him on the field. It will also be an area we look to fill through the draft. As far as a DB depth I would like to see Chris Mcallister have a visit with the Steelers. He would be a better fit then Carr.

Dean Denton
03-11-2009, 04:22 PM
How about a guy by the name of Mendenhall! We need to get him on the field. It will also be an area we look to fill through the draft. As far as a DB depth I would like to see Chris Mcallister have a visit with the Steelers. He would be a better fit then Carr.Mcallister is going to ask for way more money then Carr, and we wont pay that for him. Carr will be a nice fit. He comes from a good franchise and good head coach. I think he will fit in well with us.

STEEL CITY TANK
03-11-2009, 04:27 PM
How about a guy by the name of Mendenhall! We need to get him on the field. It will also be an area we look to fill through the draft. As far as a DB depth I would like to see Chris Mcallister have a visit with the Steelers. He would be a better fit then Carr.

Chris McAlister is 31, Chris Carr is 25.......Which is the Steelers more likely to pick up if they were to pick up either? Yeah Mendenhall is a solution as returner but if you can kill two birds with one stone why wouldn't you. DB AND RETURNER :imhere:

K Train
03-11-2009, 04:28 PM
theres some ridiculous statements in this thread that i wont even bother responding to

he is near the top in yards per return, ARE rarely scored a TD on returns but he was still good at it....devin hesters come around once ever 15 years.

carr has scored a few TDs returning pick....he had like 25 TDs in one game against the steelers a few years back

Dean Denton
03-11-2009, 04:33 PM
theres some ridiculous statements in this thread that i wont even bother responding to

he is near the top in yards per return, ARE rarely scored a TD on returns but he was still good at it....devin hesters come around once ever 15 years.

carr has scored a few TDs returning pick....he had like 25 TDs in one game against the steelers a few years backI think they just want to fight with eachother. I will just watch....:cope:

STEEL CITY TANK
03-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Naw no need of fighting just a friendly debate LOL

Stairwayto7
03-11-2009, 05:04 PM
TD as a returner are over rated anyway. Sure it will happen now and then, but give me consistent good field position. Look how a guy like J cribbs has everyone kicking away from him, this gives good FP

Dean Denton
03-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Naw no need of fighting just a friendly debate LOLWhat fun is that? Grab your stones and throw down....lol

STEEL CITY TANK
03-12-2009, 12:35 AM
Some guy wrote this on ESPN's message board thought it was funny:

Chris Carrs day: 10:00 am - Walk by Trophy Cases, Meet with Mr. Rooney. Mr. Rooney takes a call from some guy named Obama.
10:45 - Walk by trophy cases, glance in an office, is that (Mean) Joe Greene, with a diet coke. Yes it is, he works in Player Personnel. Go to Coach Tomlins office, he hands you a Steeler goose down jacket for the tour of Heinz Field later and you chat.
11:30 - Leave Coach Tomlins office walk past the trophy cases and enter Coach Labeau's office, it is bright (you start believing the rumor that he has his own religion) you chat, Coach Labeau hands you a Steelers knit cap to wear during field tour.
12:30 - Leave Coach Labeau's office walk past the trophy cases and head to Jerome Bettis' restaurant for some lunch. While at lunch you meet Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, Big Ben and Fast Willie, you notice their SB rings, they grin nod their heads and wink. You chat and eat.
2:15 - Meet Art Rooney at Heinz Field, there is 35,000 people there, you ask if they are there for you and Mr. Rooney replies that is just a small security unit of the Steeler Nation, he hands you a cell phone, its Tony Dungy, he reminds you that you are going to play his position on his team, the Steelers.
5:00 - Return to your hotel to take a nap.
8:00 - Phone rings, you answer, its James Walker from ESPN wanting to verify that you signed with the Steelers, you reply yes, 3 years, 1 knit hat, 1 goose down jacket. James Harrison is holding out for some Iron City Beer.

DanRooney
03-12-2009, 04:01 AM

Wasted? He was the only person on the team who could catch a kickoff at the time

Callax
03-12-2009, 06:34 AM
I just looked as his physical stats: 5'10" 180 lbs
that is a little light but he did do a good job on KO returns, maybe he can put on a little weight.... thomas everett was a safety for pitt some years ago and he was 5'9"and 180 lbs, but he would stick his nose in and hit anything that moved near him...
So I guess it is all in the matter of how much heart he has and what he wants to hit. This is a coaches call on if they believe he's a hitter or just a SP teamer
Tomlin done a good job so far on player personnel, so I'll not 2nd guess him and let Steeelers do their job to decise if he's Steeler material or let him go elsewhere..

Dean Denton
03-12-2009, 12:56 PM
With him, its all about depth. He is not going to be the started until someone goes down. Just a back up at DB, and will give us an edge on KO. Worth a look.

Silverback 92
03-13-2009, 11:15 PM
out of all the FAs thats been through he is the only one half way worthy of a shot MAYBE

igor0190
03-14-2009, 01:26 PM
CARR 2 years 5 Mil with the Ratbirds

greennick
03-14-2009, 11:21 PM
CARR 2 years 5 Mil with the Ratbirds

outbid us by 800k per year

LatrobePA
03-15-2009, 08:29 PM
We'll get to see this guy twice a year, and I bet he rips off a big one against us....He;s someone I'd liked to see in B&G...