PDA

View Full Version : Colon signs RFA tender with Steelers

BlackGold4vr
03-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers RT Willie Colon signed his restricted free agent tender on Tuesday, his agent Joe Linta confirmed to Scout.com. The former 2006 fourth-round pick will make $2.198 million this season under his one-year, first-round tender.

Colon, who turns 26 in April, has started 34 games in his three seasons of play for the Steelers.

There it is. The last piece of the line dubbed "The Garbage Men" has been signed. Hope your insurance is paid up Ben! :yesnod:

TEEMONT
03-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Just move him to G already....no more of this BS tackle experiment.

DIESELMAN
03-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Just move him to G already....no more of this BS tackle experiment.
No ****ing doubt!!! He's just not built to be a tackle in the NFL.

BlackGold4vr
03-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Colon to RG

Draft Mack at center. Lets face it Hartwig was never a long term solution.

Draft Cornelius Lewis and let him and Tony Hills battle it out for the RT job.

Steel Trap86
03-10-2009, 11:35 PM
lets let go of macfadden & washington and resign that badass offensive line we had last season.

BlackGold4vr
03-10-2009, 11:42 PM
lets let go of macfadden & washington and resign that badass offensive line we had last season.

They have a lot of upside! When you are amongst the leagues worst it leaves a lot of room for improvement. :lol:

igor0190
03-11-2009, 12:23 AM
The Steelers were kind of forced into re-signing Kemeoutu and Colon. They are young, still have upside, and most of all we have nobody to replace them. Starks is the only guy on the line being severely overpaid. Once we get a LT in the draft, Starks will sign a longer term deal and move back to RT next year. It's all part of the front offices' master plan! :)

..............................i hope

SteelerRush
03-11-2009, 05:51 AM
Colon is not a RT and should be moved to Guard. I do not see why we would bring back the same crew. Ok Ben moves around a lot and maybe he causes the O-line to be out of position. But the penalties at critical times during games last year caused a lot of good drives to stall. Colon was the worst one for penalties. All I can say is good thing it is only one more year.....:rant2::eek1::cursin:

Sir Blitzelot
03-11-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm not concerned, Colon is still a young player who has potential. I don't think that the Steelers are done with the O-line yet, they will find help in the draft, and I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in a veteran at the start of camp.

yinzer
03-11-2009, 10:39 AM
There it is. The last piece of the line dubbed "The Garbage Men" has been signed. Hope your insurance is paid up Ben! :yesnod:

you can say that again.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2009, 01:03 PM
I hope to God these coaches know more about these players potential than what they've shown us on gameday the last 2 years because Im sure not seeing what they must be seeing to bring back Colon. Now if it's for insurance because they want to bring in a RT like Beatty in the draft and make it an open competition across the board then that's different.

Dean Denton
03-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I think its awesome. What a challenge this team faces. They want to make it has hard as they can on Ben and the running game this season. Getting Ben KO'd and Mendenhal broken for the year just was not enough to make them take a look at what we have. It really adds to the excitement of the season. We did win a SB, so why cant we defend it with the same group of guys? Hey, there is a massive upside to this. We also are going to still have Bruce Arians, so nothing is going to change. YES!!!!! This is some of the best news I have been apart of all week. I cant wait for the season to start...Go Steelers!!!!!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2009, 04:04 PM
I think its awesome. What a challenge this team faces. They want to make it has hard as they can on Ben and the running game this season. Getting Ben KO'd and Mendenhal broken for the year just was not enough to make them take a look at what we have. It really adds to the excitement of the season. We did win a SB, so why cant we defend it with the same group of guys? Hey, there is a massive upside to this. We also are going to still have Bruce Arians, so nothing is going to change. YES!!!!! This is some of the best news I have been apart of all week. I cant wait for the season to start...Go Steelers!!!!!!!!!!

Can you please pass the bong when you're done dude!!! :grin1:

Dean Denton
03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Can you please pass the bong when you're done dude!!! :grin1: I would but I smoked it all up trying to ease the pain from all these OL signings that we keep doing. Next i'm going to shoot up some bleach. Your more then welcome to join me in that....lol

Stairwayto7
03-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Wonder what Ben is thinking?

Dean Denton
03-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Wonder what Ben is thinking?
He's think about sharing my bleach....

oscar478
03-12-2009, 12:45 AM
The facts of the O line as I see them:

Yes, they can improve as a unit, however, I don't think as a unit they can be great w/o changing at least 2 of the people involved.

You just can't change an O line entirely... it's been tried many times and failed just about every time that I can remember. Even if you have to keep some slackers around, it's better than trying to build an entire line and get them to gel.

In situations like this, you often have to keep some extras on contract until you see how thing shake out in the draft and camp. So I don't put much stock in contracts signed at this point. Watch the draft and see who makes it into the 53.

Hartwig is the biggest question mark in my eyes... and I mean question mark in terms of I'm the least sure of how good or bad he can be. Starks and Kemo are proven capable. Colon and Stapleton are proven to be a liability to some degree. I'm just not sure if Hartwig is suffering because of those around him, or if he's a key to the problem.

-C

STEEL CITY TANK
03-12-2009, 01:17 AM
He's think about sharing my bleach....

:plus1: :haha: